Thread: Short news from the international hockey scene

Short news from the international hockey scene

Many news topics don't warrant their own separate thread. If you look around the board you will find many such threads. They have no replies and limited views.

So better to keep them together in one thread.

You are still more than welcome to discuss the news topics posted here. If a topic evolve into a discussion we will create a special thread for this.

Gustafsson extend contract

So I will open:

Sweden's head coach Bengt-┼ke Gustafsson has extended his contract with Tre Kronor for the next three seasons (until 2009-10). The Swedish hockey federation is pleased to make the announcement. Commenting on the contract extension, Gustafsson said: "It will be fun to continuing headcoach the world's best national hockey team. Now I will be able to participate defending the olympic and world championship gold".

source: http://www.swehockey.se/t2.asp?p=65501&x=1&a=899052

GB v France friendly cancelled

Ice Hockey UK have confirmed that next month's friendly between GB and France has been cancelled. France were supposed to be playing a game in Ireland before they came to the UK, but this game has been cancelled. Therefore, the cost is now too high for just one game, and GB can't fit in another national team game of their own because the clubs won't shut down the league for the international break.

France have confirmed, however, that they would like to try and create an annual tournament against GB, with the event being swapped between the two countries.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IIHF writes that the top-7 European Ice Hockey Associations have met and discussed a future Player Transfer Agreement between IIHF and NHL. At the end it says
    Quote Originally Posted by IIHF
    We have made progress with the Russian association, they are willing to sign a new agreement, but not on the same terms as the six others
    Does anyone have any insight into why Russia wants a seperate agreement and what provisions in an agreement they feel they can't get together with the others?

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Does anyone have any insight into why Russia wants a seperate agreement and what provisions in an agreement they feel they can't get together with the others?
    Basically Russia want's to restrict their players' movement to NHL. If I have understood it right, they think it's "too easy" for Russian players to leave their domestic league for NHL.
    Aqua jacta est

IHF Member
    I didn't any notices of it, but between Jan 3rd and 7th was held the Annual Air Canada Cup in Ravensburg Germany. This year, they had 6 national Women teams (compared to the usual 3 or 4)...

Germany, Finland (U20), Japan, Canada (U22), Russia and Switzerland participated.

Of course, as usual, Team Canada won the final 6-1 and my wife's niece scored the game-winner! WOO-HOO :653:

Full details at: http://www.ev-ravensburg.de/AIR-CANADA-Cup.1343.0.html

frosken

IHF Member
    I'm looking for info about the IIHF conference this week. Can anyone tell me if there are updates or podcasts or anything giving a constant feed of info about what's going on there?

Specifically I'm interested in the assignment of WC hosts for 2008.

Thanks
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by oznthstar View Post
    I'm looking for info about the IIHF conference this week. Can anyone tell me if there are updates or podcasts or anything giving a constant feed of info about what's going on there?

Specifically I'm interested in the assignment of WC hosts for 2008.

Thanks
    Pete
    Pete, keep eyes on our specific thread here:
    http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ead.php?t=5068

BTW: conference will be after WC

Quote Originally Posted by pihinalle View Post
    Basically Russia want's to restrict their players' movement to NHL. If I have understood it right, they think it's "too easy" for Russian players to leave their domestic league for NHL.
    It's already been shown how easy: Ovechkin, Malkin, etc etc etc...

Thread Information