Thread: Season 07/08

IHF Member

Season 07/08

there are indications from slovenian & croatian hockey federations that mutual league will be formed. some members :kidding: wrote it on slo&cro hockey forums and i got info from some persons involved in our hockey that there really are some talks between hockey federations.

seven slovenian clubs (HS Olimpija, Slavija, Bled, Triglav, Maribor, Alfa, Jesenice - b team) would play with three croatian (Medveščak, Mladost, Zagreb) in new formed slovenian championship.
    two top slovenian clubs Jesenice and ZM Olimpija are gonna be EBEL members next season, and probably join slovenian champ in later stage.
    if this deal goes thru, and i hope it will, two hockey federations would sign a 5-year deal on mutual league.

sure, some major details need to be arranged and fixed, but this idea sounds good for hockey fans in croatia and slovenia. croatian clubs mladost and zagreb showed in last few seasons that they are competitive vr slovenian apponents, while medvescak with slavija and jesenice would fight for top place. croatian clubs would gain more games in the season and play a competitive league, will slovenians would get three solid additions in their league.

if all of that happens that leaves us with a question, what about interliga, and what about hungarian clubs?
    alba volan is a bit too strong to only play hungarian championship, also ute is spending much on foregners to have a good team, theres dunaujvaros too. what will they play, will there be any interliga, who will participate ?

croatian, slovenian members, hungarian also...cmon, type

Sounds like a great idea to add the 3 Croatian clubs to the Slovene championship......the one part of the idea I do not like is having the EBEL teams simply show up towards the end and get to compete for the championship....it would be unfair to the teams competing all season long in the Slovene league, and would give them nothing to play for, as they would know one of the two EBEL teams would win in the end.

In my opinion, Interliga should consist of Medvescak, Alba Volan, UTE, the two Slovene EBEL teams, and perhaps a Polish league team or two, or a Serie A or B team or two from Italy.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jokke_wiberg View Post
    there are indications from slovenian & croatian hockey federations that mutual league will be formed. some members :kidding: wrote it on slo&cro hockey forums and i got info from some persons involved in our hockey that there really are some talks between hockey federations.

if all of that happens that leaves us with a question, what about interliga, and what about hungarian clubs?
    alba volan is a bit too strong to only play hungarian championship, also ute is spending much on foregners to have a good team, theres dunaujvaros too. what will they play, will there be any interliga, who will participate ?

croatian, slovenian members, hungarian also...cmon, type
    Looks like a great chance for croatian hockey, and joining slovenian league would be a good idea. Interliga doesn't have future with only 5 teams.

I don't know if there will be an Interliga next season, hungarian teams like DAB, UTE and Alba Volan needs to play some international games, because other hungarian teams are on a very low level. Alba Volan is too strong for this hungarian league, they proved it this season again, they need to find a way out from our weak domestic league (but finally there were efforts from our federation to strengthen the domestic league - more games in the season for weaker teams).

I can imagine the following scenarios for Hungary (if there really won't be Interliga next season):

- the strongest team, Alba Volan will participate in some stronger league, like EBEL or SVK Extraliga, leaving a second team in the hungarian league.

- stronger romanian teams (SC Csíkszereda, Steaua Bucharest, Progym and HC Csíkszereda maybe) will join the hungarian league. I don't see any other countries which would create an international league with Hungary (Poland has a quite good, balanced domestic league).

- our federation will work to make our domestic league more balanced (helping weaker teams to sign more foreigners, helping best hungarian players -like Palkovics, Ocskay or Ladányi- to get a contract abroad etc.)

- or everything stays as it is now, we will have a poor, weak, unbalanced league with only 2 or 3 pro (or semi-pro) teams, the top teams will get weaker in lack of playing some games against foreign teams during the season, and federation will only focus on the national team.

We will know more during the off-season.
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

IHF Member
    If there will be 10 teams in this newly formed CRO/SLO championship, the most ideal would be to play 2 Rounds (2 home, 2 away games) in the league, which would be a total of 36 games in the regular season. I doubt that the teams would play that many games, I rather think there will be only 1 Round (1 home, 1 away) in the season, which would only be a total of 18 games.

If teams play 18 games only, teams like Slavija, Medvescak, and Jesenice's 2nd team could still play in Interliga against hungarian teams. These teams will be outstanding in that CRO/SLO league, and they still would need a better league to play in.

In my opinion next year's Interliga should look like this:

Alba Volan, DAB, UTE (HUN)
    HK Slavija, Jesenice 2nd team, Alfa maybe??? (SLO)
    Medvescak (CRO)
    SC Csíkszereda (ROM)

I think only Alba Volan would stand out from that league (but they are planning to make a younger team next year, most probably goalie Budai will go to play in SVK Extraliga next season, so number #1 goalie would be 19 years old Hetényi), so there could be a quite balanced league next season.

DAB must join Interliga if they would like to continue what they started this season, to make their young team more competitive in hungarian league.

SC Csíkszereda said again, after the hungarian semifinals, that they would like to join Interliga next year. Their results in the hungarian league show, that they would be a good addition.

And, as I wrote before, SLO and CRO teams Slavija and Medvescak need better than that CRO/SLO league could offer. Jesenice's 2nd team could also make a step forward by playing in Interliga, to prepare the young players for EBEL. I'm not sure about Alfa, I don't think they would join, and they would be definately the weakest team in Interliga. I don't see any other possible teams who could join.
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

You can safely count in HK Triglav Kranj in (at least) Interliga plans as they said years ago that they want to join if the get the new arena. And the new arena is (finally !!! ) scheduled to open in august-september 2007.
    If they can lure back at least some players that have left them to other teams (Pavlin, Tavželj,Bevk,Stopar, Markovič...), they could be a nice addition to the Interliga.
    And maybe they can get some Slovak players like they had in the late 90s where they were really close to the Alpen League. Most notably Slovak players at HK Triglav were Ladislav Bača ( older brother Jerguš Bača ), Vladimir Svitek (played in Hungary at the end of his career), Josef Petho, Anton Tomko etc

IHF Member

Interleague???

Does somebody know more about the Interleague 2007-08?? Is there a League?? Can't find any info about that in the Internet....
    Cheers, Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Does somebody know more about the Interleague 2007-08?? Is there a League?? Can't find any info about that in the Internet....
    there is no IL this year.ZM Olimpija and Alba joined EBEL,Medvescak will play slovenian championship,dunno UTE plans...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STOLBUN View Post
    there is no IL this year.ZM Olimpija and Alba joined EBEL,Medvescak will play slovenian championship,dunno UTE plans...
    thanks
    Cheers, Franco

Thread Information