Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: On the preparations for the European Champions Hockey League

Quote Originally Posted by llmitch View Post
    I would like to see this new league come into play but I seriously doubt if the NHL would take a chance of particpating in the event their Stanly Cup champion lost to a European club.
    The 2008 Victoria Cup is on, as far as I know.

Funny how the IIHF still hasn't come up or released the formula for selecting the participants. Maybe they are waiting to see which teams will be national champions?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Now that the format for the first year of European Champions Hockey League is decided I thought it was time for another thought experiment. So if the Champions League had been played already this season the participating teams would have been:

Russia Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Ak Bars Kazan
    Sweden MODO Örnsköldsvik, Färjestad Karlstad
    Finland Kärpät Oulu, Jokerit Helsinki
    Czech R. Sparta Praha, Liberec
    Switzerland HC Davos
    Slovakia Slovan Bratislava
    Germany Adler Mannheim
    12th team Dynamo Minsk/Red Bulls Salzburg/Herning Blue Fox/Torpedo Kazzinc Ust-Kamenogorsk/some other team

These could have been the preliminary groups:
    A MODO Örnsköldsvik, Ak Bars Kazan, 12th team
    B Sparta Praha, Jokerit Helsinki, Adler Mannheim
    C Kärpät Oulu, Liberec, Slovan Bratislava
    D Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Färjestad Karlstad, HC Davos

I divided the teams in three groups. Big 4 champions, big 4 runnerups, other teams. Then used a coin toss to determine the groups but didn't allow teams from the same country within the same group. Looks pretty interesting.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    Now that the format for the first year of European Champions Hockey League is decided I thought it was time for another thought experiment. So if the Champions League had been played already this season the participating teams would have been:

Russia Metallurg Magnitogorsk, Ak Bars Kazan
    Sweden MODO Örnsköldsvik, Färjestad Karlstad
    Finland Kärpät Oulu, Jokerit Helsinki
    Czech R. Sparta Praha, Liberec
    Switzerland HC Davos
    Slovakia Slovan Bratislava
    Germany Adler Mannheim
    12th team Dynamo Minsk/Red Bulls Salzburg/Herning Blue Fox/Torpedo Kazzinc Ust-Kamenogorsk/some other team
    To me looks pretty fair and interesting!
    Salavat - green rockets!

Some of these things have been discussed in other threads but since these pertain to the Champions League I will continue here. A piece of news on the Kärpät web site seems to clear many of the questions currently around. Firstly it states that the 12th team will be Metallurg Magnitogorsk as the current European Champion. I am not sure if this is information is very trustworthy as this hasn't been mentioned anywhere else.

The question of which teams participate from the 4 top leagues is cleared more profoundly. All leagues will be represented by champion and regular season winner (in case one team wins both, the regular season 2nd is admitted). The exception is SM-Liiga in the first ECL season. Finland will be represented by finalists as they petitioned for a special permission to this. The reason is SM-Liiga's "groups" ie. teams face some teams more often than other. This is seen as giving some team advantage. Case in point is Kärpät who is seen to get advantage of being in the same group with JYP and KalPa. For next season SM-Liiga's season format will change (see SM-Liiga thread) and the "normal" admittance rules to ECL will be taken into use.
    "Only if we lose."

In contrary in the new Russian league since the next season we'll probably have several geographic divisions like in the NHL.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Finally an official release from the IIHF on the finer details: http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=8511afdfb5

Two main points:
    - As mentioned in the other thread, the 12th participant will be the winner of a qualification tourney held in September. Participants are the regular season winners of Germany, Switzerland and Slovakia
    - As defending European champs Metallurg Magnitogorsk will be one of the two Russian teams regardless of their success in this years RSL.
    "Only if we lose."

CHL not as sure deal as was assumed?

There was an interesting commentary on Finnish MTV3 news by the IIHF vice-president Kalervo Kummola today. According to him the whole CHL plan "is still quite unclear" and there are "plenty of open questions".

Kummola said that there will be a final deciding IIHF meeting on next Thursday (3.4.2008) where they try to settle the unclear issues. "The whole plan still needs some tweaking, even some major reworking on some parts." He didn't exactly specify what this is all about, just vaguely mentioned that they're mostly juridical. He said however that there are "no unsettled issues between the participating countries".

If IIHF manages to settle all of the open questions and make the necessary changes on its next meeting, Kummola believes the league is then set. If they fail to succeed in this, "the whole league will be buried".

I don't quite know what to make of this. Kummola is known to be a tough player so he might just attempt to make the situation sound more grave than it is in order to gain some unknown advantage over something, but his statement is an interesting twist in the works nevertheless.

http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/hockeynig...2008/04/630438
    Last edited by Laho; 02-04-2008 at 20:01.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

I would consider this as April fools if it wasn't already April 2nd... How can something that has been made out be set in stone be in such controversy still? Especially something as important as the CHL is to IIHF.

What is interesting is that Kummola announced some time ago that he will challenge Rene Fasel for the IIHF presidency if certain issues are not attended to. He had been approached by several national associations that didn't like the way IIHF is doing some things. The issues were not spesified but perhaps some of them involved the CHL? The quote "no unsettled issues between the participating countries" seems to mean that the problems lie between the countries and IIHF.
    "Only if we lose."

Quote Originally Posted by Laho View Post
    Kummola said that there will be a final deciding IIHF meeting on next Thursday (3.2.2008) where they try to settle the unclear issues.
    http://www.mtv3.fi/urheilu/hockeynig...2008/04/630438
    Isnt that an old date tho?!

Quote Originally Posted by durhamwasp View Post
    Isnt that an old date tho?!
    D'oh, corrected.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

The scare is off...

SM-Liiga's CEO Jukka-Pekka Vuorinen confirmed today that the problems have been solved and the CHL will start according to the previous plan. The regulations of the new league arrived only on Monday and there were some parts in them that the teams and leagues were worried about. The texts will be now modified and an agreement has been reached. The disagreements concerned some articles about the arenas which were impossible for the teams to accept (due to earlier contracts) and the planned fines for withdrawing from the league that were now completely erased.

Germany has yet to accept the deal but it is expected that they will do it shortly. Germany has until next Wednesday to accept. If they fail to do so, Belarus will take their place in the league.
    "Only if we lose."

IHF Member
    The CHL newsletter May is out. Nothing new though, just the schedule we already now and a lot of interviews.

http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...ue_3_small.pdf

IHWC Champions League OT Rules

One of the few things that we discussed reguarding the Champions Hockey League are OT Rules, well the other day I emailed the IIHF about what the OT Rules are going to be for the Champions League and I just got a response this morning.

During the Qualficaition and the Group Stage
    They will be no OT periods to determine tie games, instead they will go to the shootout directly to determine the winner.
    I'm not a big fan of going to the shootout directly, I believe that should atleast be 1 full OT Period before consdering going to a shootout. Having a full OT periods I believe determines the game more fair and more accurate, and then after an OT or two if nothing's been determined than I would be fine with that, but going to a shootout directly to me is not a good idea.

During the Semifinals and Final
    They will "NOT" use the road goals rule like they do in most football competitions.
    After the first leg of the Semifinal and final, if a game ends in a tie than they will head into the 2nd leg tied on goals, than after the 2nd leg if they the total goals ends in a tie than they will head into the shootout to determine who will advance to final or win the Champions League. So for example, if the Team A wins the 1st leg 2-1, then in the 2nd leg team B wins 1-0, then the agg. would be tied at 2-2 and would go to a shootout to determine the winner.

I would have done is have one full OT period and then if nothing is decided then have the shootout, but to me having at least having one OT period in these games will make it more exicting and make teams have to compitions a lot better and more exicting.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

No OT in finals sucks. You can't determine the champion using shoutouts.

I got an email response from the IIHF Today, and the main reason why they decided not to have any OT Periods at all is because of TV Brodcasting reasons and the fear of games running long like they do in the NHL Playoffs sometimes.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

Here's the logo
    Attached Images Attached Images

IHWC Champions Hockey Transfer Deadlines

The transfer deadlines for the Champions League Teams have been announced. These dates will determine when the rosters for the upcomming Champions League will be locked in.

September 4
    For the 3 teams in the Champions League Qualifer, the players have to be registred with their new clubs on by midnight on September 4. This is only for the 3 teams in the Champions League Qualifer for SC Bern (SUI), HC Kosice (SVK), and Sinupret Ice Tigers (GER).

September 30
    With the group stage starting on October 8, the 12 teams that are registred for the first 3 games in the Group Stage which are on October 8, October 22, and October 29.

October 30 thru November 3
    Players that are transfered betweeen these dates can regerister these players for the purpose of Champions League Participation for the Gamedays 4, 5, and 6 on November 12, November 19 and December 3.

Note
    Players can't play on 2 teams in the same Champions League Season.

November 3
    After November 3, no more changes can be made on the roster. This takes effect for the 2nd half of the group stage, the semifinals and the final.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tanman9 View Post

Note
    Players can't play on 2 teams in the same Champions League Season.
    This rule is on football too, and I find it stupid like hell
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    This rule is on football too, and I find it stupid like hell
    Why do you find stupid this rule ?
    I love hockey and hockey love me :-)

In hockey it has its sense (till the competition is relatively little), but in football i find stupid that if a player plays in some early preliminary stage then can't play for example in Champions League final if he changes team...

IHF Member
    I think the Russian teams and Sparta Prag are the biggest favorites to win the tournament. Kärpät Oulu is a great team, too, but Metallurg Magnitogorsk is too hard for them, I think. I think Espoo Blues and HV71 will play close games each other.

Quote Originally Posted by marius94 View Post
    Sparta Prag
    They are not playing in CHL, I guess you mean Slavia Prague.
    Nederlandse IJshockey Bond
    www.nijb.nl

Quote Originally Posted by marius94 View Post
    I think the Russian teams and Sparta Prag are the biggest favorites to win the tournament. Kärpät Oulu is a great team, too, but Metallurg Magnitogorsk is too hard for them, I think. I think Espoo Blues and HV71 will play close games each other.
    I would be most scared of Karpat Oulu, because they won 4 of the last 5 SM-Liiga Title, 2 European Champions Cup Finals that they both lost, and they didn't make many changes to their roster which that means they have a lot of confidence in their roster to make a long Champions Hockey League run. Metallurg will give them a tough run but I think Karpat Oulu will be hungary to bring home a much sought European Title. In the other groups, I have HV71 over Espoo in a very tight race, Espoo's defense is good but their offense is questionable at times. In Group C is easy to me Salavat Yulayev Ufa will roll in this group. In Group D, this will be the most competitive of the 4 groups, I have Slavia Prague winning.

My Champions League Predicitions

Group Stage
    Group A: Karpat Oulu
    Group B: HV71 Jonkoping
    Group C: Salavat Yulayev Ufa
    Group D: Slavia Prague

Semifinals
    HV71 Jonkoping defates Slavia Prague
    Karpat Oulu defates Salavat Yulayev Ufa

Final
    Karpat Oulu defates HV71 Jonkoping

I would be most scared of Karpat Oulu, because they won 4 of the last 5 SM-Liiga Title, 2 European Champions Cup Finals that they both lost, and they didn't make many changes to their roster which that means they have a lot of confidence in their roster to make a long Champions Hockey League run. Metallurg will give them a tough run but I think Karpat Oulu will be hungary to bring home a much sought European Title.
    I am happy that you're are confident in Kärpät but the team is weaker than in the last 4-5 years. Many top players left the team (Pesonen, Hyvönen, Sahlstedt, Bros, Ujcik, Lehtonen, Laamanen, Jaakola). While that has happened before too, this time there has been less traffic coming the other way. The only significant inforcements so far are Toni Koivisto, Daniel Corso and Martti Järventie. IF Viuhkola and Paakkolanvaara are healthy during the season, Kärpät has good centers (along with Corso) but otherwise there are problems in that area. Kärpät's wingers are in good shape but not as good as last year. Defence is the biggest problem. Kärpät is looking for two good d-man, and one of them should be Finnish (Niinimaa). Goaltending is the only area that has remained the same from the previous two seasons.

But even if Kärpät gets those much needed inforcements, I find that Metallurg is the biggest favorite in group A.
    "Only if we lose."

IHF Member
    Yes, I mean Slavia Prague

IHF Member
    I think that Shardik has right: Metallurg Magnitogorsk looks stronger than Kärpät. Jan Marek, Denis Platonov, Nikolai Kulemin..it´s only a few of many good players in that team. And Eisbären Berlin is a good outsider, too.

Jerseys announced!

All of them look great IMHO

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/c...l-jerseys.html

The European Hockey Champions League has just launched their new website. They will put more info on the website when the Qualifer Tournament starts on September 12.

www.championshockeyleague.com

IHF Member
    Semifinals
    HV71 Jonkoping defates Slavia Prague
    Karpat Oulu defates Salavat Yulayev Ufa

No way! Top Russian teams are class of their own in Europe...

Regarding jerseys, they're really gonna go without sponsors? That's gotta be a very different look in European hockey.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Bucks View Post
    Regarding jerseys, they're really gonna go without sponsors? That's gotta be a very different look in European hockey.
    I think so. They played without sponsors in ECC

Ah, thanks for the info, I didn't know that.
    So, were there enough revenue in the ECC and upcoming CHL without shirt sponsors?
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

IHF Member
    Also they will get new uniqe jerseys just for European competition from Reebok, not concerning what mark they signed for official club supplier in their domestic leagues.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coss View Post
    Just no. They are not in other league compared to top swedish or finnish teams. You really overrate them if you think so.

Speaking of Champions League, main favorite is probably Salavat, but their problem might be coaching, swedish teams(HV 71 and Linkoping) can challenge Salavat if they will play with some effort. Just based on roster, they are realy good, Linkoping's defense is probably 1 of the best in Europe.

Salavat ought not to waste their time competing.....because unless the Radulov issue is settled, the NHL will likely not allow any of its teams to compete in a game against Salavat.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darion View Post
    Just no. They are not in other league compared to top swedish or finnish teams. You really overrate them if you think so.

Speaking of Champions League, main favorite is probably Salavat, but their problem might be coaching, swedish teams(HV 71 and Linkoping) can challenge Salavat if they will play with some effort. Just based on roster, they are realy good, Linkoping's defense is probably 1 of the best in Europe.
    Anyway..
    I dont believe any european team can beat KHL finalists!
    Last edited by Coss; 07-09-2008 at 14:43.

Anyone ready to change their minds about Eisbaren Berlin? They looking very good in the early going in the DEL, including a tight fought 2-1 win over last year's League Runner up Kolner Haie on opening night and just an 11-0 smashing of the Augsburg Panthers back on Sunday. Overall they out scored their oppenents 20-4 in their first 4 games of the DEL Season.

Here's Eisbaren Berlin remaning Schedule before the European Hockey Champions League Season get's underway.

9/19: At Hannover Scorpions
    9/21: At Fuchse Duisburg
    9/26: At DEG Metro Stars
    10/3: VS. Grizzly Adams Wolfsburg
    10/5: At Krefeld Pinguine

If anyone could find them, it would be intresting to see the team schedules of the different teams before the 1st Champions League Game on October 8. I think this would be good to find out who's playing who so we could find out who's playing well and who's not before the 1st Champions League Games.
    Last edited by tanman9; 19-09-2008 at 04:35.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Salavat ought not to waste their time competing.....because unless the Radulov issue is settled, the NHL will likely not allow any of its teams to compete in a game against Salavat.
    What the hell the NHL has in common with the European Champions League?
    Salavat - green rockets!

Quote Originally Posted by kedr View Post
    What the hell the NHL has in common with the European Champions League?
    ECL winner plays the Victoria Cup.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    I think not, the top KHL teams are very good but the top swedish teams like HV71 and LHC can match them. I think LHC, Linköping Hockey Club have a big chans to take the first CHL.

Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles View Post
    ECL winner plays the Victoria Cup.
    Oh, I forgot.

Well, not playing Victoria Cup is not a problem. I prefer one Radulov to thousand Victoria Cups.
    Salavat - green rockets!

While the KHL is the top league other than the NHL, the top teams from Elitserien, SM-Liiga, Czech Extraliga, Slovak Extraliga, and even the NLA and DEL are certainly capable of taking down KHL teams on any given day.

I'd still rate a KHL team as the favorite to win the Champions League, though.

Yestarday was the first roster freeze for the European Champions Hockey League, as of right now the players on the roster are locked in for the first half of the group stage for the games on October 8, October 22 and October 29. Any players added on the roster will not be eligilbile for the Champions League Games.

If anyone could find the rosters for any of the teams, that would be great.

Funny that nobody here counted the money.

http://www.championshockeyleague.com/index.php?22

• 300,000 euro per team (appearance fee)
    • 50,000 euro for each win in the group stage
    • 200,000 euro for semi-final appearance
    • 1,000,000 euro to the CHL winner
    • 500,000 euro for the other finalist
    • 300,000 euro to each participating league
    • 100,000 euro to each participating national federation
    The champion (in case of winning also all group games) will receive:
    300,000 (appearance fee) + 4 * 50,000 (each win in the group stage) + 200,000 (semi-final appearance) + 1,000,000 (CHL winner) = 1,700,000 euro = $2,300,000.

I can say that this is a very good money even for rich KHL teams.
    Salavat - green rockets!

IHF Member
    One question about attendence record per game. What is the highest number of spectators on specific game from past editions of european hockey league (EHL it was) ?

Is it 18.000 from MEN Arena in Manchester where Manchestr Storm was playing in 1998 ??

One question about attendence record per game. What is the highest number of spectators on specific game from past editions of european hockey league (EHL it was) ?

Is it 18.000 from MEN Arena in Manchester where Manchestr Storm was playing in 1998 ??
    I would have to have a look through my records, but I can only recall Storm selling out the MEN for domestic games. Since they were mid-week, the EHL games were much poorer supported. I recall watching Storm play IFK Helsinki and there was only about 4500 in the building.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Member
    Yes, I don't remember precisely whether it was in EHL or Elite British league... I only know it was written in one article about Storm's EHL succes and been mentioned MEN Arena 18.000 record crowd on one of Storm's game..

Manchester Storm European attendance is at http://stormhistory.manchesterstorm.info/europe.html. The largest they ever got in the EHL was 6491. In their last ever home game in the EHL, they only managed 1174.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---

Since this has gone off the original topic, I have moved the comments on Manchester Storm's attendance to http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ead.php?t=7465.

Graham.
    ---

IHF Member
    Are there any news about the format of the 2009/10 Champion's League?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information