Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next Year's Groups

What do you think can Greece qualify for WC DIV III?
    Any news for Bosnia and Armenia?
    Ice hockey in GREECE is back !!!

I think it is impossible to tell as there are too many variables involving a team that have an inconsistent approach (Armenia) and teams that are playing for the first time (B&H and Greece). If pushed, I would have to go for Armenia, simply because they've played before, but no other reason.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Greece also play in the past and take the 3rd place

Quote Originally Posted by jokos_31 View Post
    Greece also play in the past and take the 3rd place
    ... in 1992. It has to be remembered that the level of hockey in the lower tiers is exponentially better than it was even 10 years ago. Their last year of competition in 1999 yielded a single win, a dramatic comeback against Iceland 8-6 as the highlights show here: http://youtube.com/user/dimitrisk21 Hmmm, who could dimitrisk21 be? ;)

A note to make is that the Icelandic goalie then was Birgir Sveinsson who has since increased his save percentage 21.28% from 68.42% to 89.70%. Not all of this is on his shoulders, from watching Division III in 2006, the strategy employed by the team was much improved and the skaters became competent defenders compared to 1999.

Iceland went from being last in international hockey to 4th in 2006 Division II Group B. DPR Korea's pull out meant his save percentage would have likely been lower in 2007 and the team possibly would have been 5th, but regardlessly they remained in Div II by defeating Mexico. We don't have data on the improvement in tactics and skill for Greece because they haven't been able to compete since 1999.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

The way I see it is that it'll come down to Armenia's roster. If they bring another reportedly-controversial roster (à la 2006) then they'll most likely take the qualifier.
    If they bring an Armenian-speaking roster, then it's up in the air. That's my $0.02

The National Team is back from another trip to the Czech Republic. This time was different though since the thought of being permitted to participate again in International Competition filled the whole team with new hope. The team stayed in Czech Republic between Sept.7th to Sept. 16th. and played 2 games:

Game 1: (12/9/2007)
    HELLAS vs. Zabreh HC 4 : 2

Game 2: (13/9/2007)
    HELLAS vs. HC BASA 6 : 8

The national team of Greece plays every year about 5-6 matches.These are the last two matches.

from www.icehockey.gr

This year's tournament schedule is now on the IIHF website and it includes the first ever world u-18 womens schedule and some intresting news in the U-20 and U-18 division. In the U-20 South Africa is making their debut and in the U-18 both Mongolia and Chinese Tapei will be making their debuts in those levels.

http://www.iihf.com/hockey/tournam/tournaments.htm
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by tanman9 View Post
    In the U-20 South Africa is making their debut and in the U-18 both Mongolia and Chinese Tapei will be making their debuts in those levels.
    Actually South Africa is making their return after a 2-3 year hiatus from U20. As for Mongolia and Chinese Taipei, they are making their debuts in World U18s which is their return to the level after the Asia/Oceanics were dropped from the international calendar.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by jokos_31 View Post
    What do you think can Greece qualify for WC DIV III?
    Any news for Bosnia and Armenia?

Interview with Canadian coach of the Bosnian team. He brought over 11 players to play a local team in Ontario.

You can listen to it here.
    http://www.cbc.ca/mrl3/8752/asithapp...1011-aih-3.wmv

Open the file and go to about 10:00 minutes
    The interview runs until about 17:00 minutes

IHF Member
    I understand how promotion and relegation word for countries from year to year, but I still don't understand how countries in Divisions I and II (including the newly promoted, the newly relegated and the middle of the pack repeaters) are allocated between the A and B groups of Divisions I and II for the following year. Is there a seeding formula? Is there a copy of a relevant regulation that explains it somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Hangblague View Post
    I understand how promotion and relegation word for countries from year to year, but I still don't understand how countries in Divisions I and II (including the newly promoted, the newly relegated and the middle of the pack repeaters) are allocated between the A and B groups of Divisions I and II for the following year. Is there a seeding formula? Is there a copy of a relevant regulation that explains it somewhere?
    1. Rank the teams based on the previous year -
      Combine the 2 groups per division (ie, Division I Group A and Division 1 Group B), and rank based on points first, and then goal differential if any 2 teams have the same number of points

2. group based on the above rankings based on the table below.
      Group A
      Group B
      *Higher ranking of 2 relegating from above division
      *Lower ranking of 2 relegating from above division
      *Lower ranking of 2 promoting teams from lower division
      *Higher ranking of 2 promoting teams from lower division

3. Make any adjustments to either ease travel or if certain teams host - normally done between like-ranked teams (ie, 4th place in Group A with 4th place in Group B)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information