Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Greatest Player - country by country

IHF Prospect

USA

Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    Well for the USA, I agree that Brian Leetch is an excellent choice. As they mention, he was the closest thing we had to Bobby Orr. Granted nobody would ever be remotely talented in a direct comparison. However, I think Chris Chelios may have to be even more of a great. He hasn't suited up for the USA national team too often, neither did Leetch, but Chelios is 45 years old and still an impact player. Leetch was a better offensive-minded player (he notched up 1028 points in 1205 games while Chelios has 936 points in 1547+ games), no doubting that, but Chelios has 3 Norris Trophies to his name compared to Leetch's two.

Of course anybody can disagree and say Mike Richter, Brett Hull, Mike Modano, etc. I do wonder if they considered Rudi Ball for Germany.
    he is amazing player...

I support him

LOL
    Go,CANADA Devils Jerseys,Cheapest NFL Jerseys
    Go Team Devils NHL hockey,

Tough choice regarding Poland but one thing is certain - with all respect going to Czerkawski he is definetely NOT the best player in polish hockey history.
    I would probably go with three names
    Bogdan Migacz, Henryk Gruth and Wiesław Jobczyk
    my heart says Bogdan Migacz (he was consider the greatest by many players)
    but regarding achievements Gruth and Jobczyk (legendary game against Soviets) they'd probably surpass him
    I've seen Migacz and Gruth in declining years of their careers and I can safely say they were more talented than Czerkawski.

To sum it up
    1. Migacz
    2. Gruth
    3. Jobczyk

And notes on other countries - you argue between Gretzky and Lemieux - and I say the greatest was Steve Yzerman - his leadership and influence on the Red Wings is superior to both Mario and Wayne

And speaking of Russians - selecting Tretiak is an insult in my opinion regarding all the offensive talent the Russians had over the years - and to be honest I would say Pavel Bure or Sergei Fedorov woul be my picks
    1937, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013 magical championship years for Cracovia

Croatian best player ever is Boris Renaud. He was member of Yugoslavian Olympic team in 1964. with only 20 years old. He was one of the few non-Slovenians that were regular on Yugoslavian NT. Most of his playing carrer he spent with Medvescak scoring more than 200 goals.

"with all respect going to Czerkawski he is definetely NOT the best player in polish hockey history."

He played in the NHL, and he was not a marginal player there. In fact, he was an impact player there for a while.

He excelled in the world's top league.......as a result, to me, he is the best Polish player ever.

Well take into account that players I mentioned didn't have an opportunity to leave Poland to go on and play in the NHL. And the polish National Team in their times played significantly better than that of Czerkawski's times
    1937, 1946, 1947, 1948, 1949, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013 magical championship years for Cracovia

IHF Prospect

NY Islanders

I have to throw Joey Mullen's Hat into the ring fro best player from the USA. undrafted he went on to win three Stanley Cups and was always a solid scorer averaging slightly better than a point per game in 1063 NHL contests.

as for Canada there is nobody better than Mario Lemieux for me

Croatia: Boris Renaud

Slovenia: Anze Kopitar

Serbia: Ivan Prokic

Yugoslavia: Albin Felc

Roumania: Doru Tureanu

Bulgaria: Konstantin Mihaylov

IHF Prospect
    Well this is very tough question. I would prefer to give three best players for each country - goalie, defender and forward. For Czech Republic is absolutely impossible to say whether Doninik Hašek is better than Jaromír Jágr...they cannot be compared and both are absolutely great!
    Visit Hockey History - my page about history of this great game!

IHF Prospect

NY Rangers

Hey guys. Let me add my opinion to this debate. I saw people discussing above about who was really the best - Mario Lemieux or Wayne Gretzky. Stats of course goes The Great One's way. I personally also believe Wayne was the best without any doubt. However, there's one thing I wanted to point here really: being Blueshirts devoted fan - I'm running this New York Rangers Fan Site. Here's the thing - there's a poll on mentioned website asking people about who was the best ever Rangers player in history. One of possible answers is also Wayne Gretzky. We know of course that The Great One missed 1994 Stanley Cup winning, as he joined Rangers after that. The interesting thing is, that the most people feel the best Blueshirt ever was Gretzky's old Edmonton team-mate Mark Messier.
    So, here's my question - no matter how I feel about No.99, how can he be treated as the best ever, if even fans of one particular team he played for don't vote for him as the best team player ever?
    Whadda ya think about that?

To answer your question, I will ask you this one: Did the voters pick the BEST Ranger ever, or the most popular?

In my view, Gretzky is the best offenseman to ever play the sport, followed closely by Lemieux. However, The Great One only played the final three years of his career with the Rangers, and he was well past his prime when he got to New York as a Ranger for the start of the 1996-1997 season. So he clearly wasn't the best Ranger ever, as his best days were not spent as a Ranger.

Quote Originally Posted by nutbar View Post
    What about John Wensink, played for the Dutch in 1989 worlds and scored 28 goals for Boston in one season.
    John Wensink came to play here in The Nethernands as a gimmick when his professional career was almost over. Berteling however played in Lake Placid (as one of few Dutch trained men) and played for the NT for over 30 years.

Wensink wouldn'n even be eligible for the NT.
    You can be sincere and still be stupid - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Croatia belongs to IIHF's "third world" and basically no Croatian player will be known to general hockey public.

Among most famous hockey players of Croatian origin are Pete Mahovlic and Joe Sakic. Unfortunately, they were not products of Croatian development system nor were they Croatian (or Yugoslav citizens).

Having said that, only Croatian players who ever played on the Olympic Games were three members of the Yugoslav team that played in 1968 in Grenoble and won the first place in Group B.

They were Boris Renaud, Ivo Ratej and Miroslav Gojanovic.

The first pick would be Boris Renaud, forward of national team and Medvescak, Zagreb

By signing contract with Colorado Avalanche Borna Rendulić surpassed achivements (playing at Olympics, NHL try-outs) of aforementioned players.

IHF Member
    Really there is three categories: forward, defenseman and goalie.

Some of my choices:
    Canada:
    1. Gretzky F
    2. Orr D
    3. Jacques Plante G

USA:
    1. Brett Hull F
    2. Chelios D
    3. Frank Brimsek G

Russia (USSR):
    1. Yakushev F
    2. Fetisov D
    3. Tretiak G

Czech Republic:
    1. Jagr F
    2. Jan Suchy D
    3. Hasek G

Slovakia:
    1. Peter Stastny F
    2. Zdeno Chara D
    3. Vladimir Dzurilla G

Sweden:
    1. Peter Forsberg F
    2. Niklas Lidstrom D
    3. Henrik Lundqvist G

As for Finland and the other countries I'll ponder it a bit longer.

IHF Prospect
    Who do you guys think the best America goalie is? Who is still playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalton2400 View Post
    Who do you guys think the best America goalie is? Who is still playing.
    Jonathan Quick !?! In the future maybe Gibson...

Serbia

Serbia:

1. Igor Kosovic
    2. Ivan Prokic
    3. Marko Kovacevic
    Serbian hockey
    Senior 2A - U20 2B - U18 2B

Quote Originally Posted by BASSA View Post
    Serbia:

1. Igor Kosovic
    2. Ivan Prokic
    3. Marko Kovacevic

Shouldn't Zoran Kozic be there instead of Kovacevic ? Kozic played NCAA hockey at Yale which is a higher level than CIS, and he also was member of Yugoslavian junior team which always was dominated by slovenians.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    Shouldn't Zoran Kozic be there instead of Kovacevic ? Kozic played NCAA hockey at Yale which is a higher level than CIS, and he also was member of Yugoslavian junior team which always was dominated by slovenians.
    There are also more good players: Zoran Katalina, Caba Prokec, Dejan Tatic (Belorusian league)...

EDIT: But I agree with you that NCAA Yale is class University, and Zoran Kozic is class player. But 3 players I wrote are the players that I watched live :)
    Last edited by BASSA; 05-05-2015 at 10:46.
    Serbian hockey
    Senior 2A - U20 2B - U18 2B

IHF Prospect
    Pavel Bure- Russia !

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    For Finland this choice must have been a piece of cake. Esa Tikkanen, Teemu Selänne, Saku Koivu, Teppo Numminen and the older players like Matti Hagman all were/are great players but Jari Kurri is clearly the best Finnish player ever. He could be seriously considered also for the best European NHL player ever.
    I wonder what Kurri would have done though without the supporting cast (Gretzky) . Selanne really didn't have that support. Selanne would be my number one for Finland the Kurri.

IHF Prospect
    I believe Bure was the best forward, but best overall player that brings wins. Tretiak hands down.

IHF Prospect
    You are both wrong. The best player that was born in France is Paul MacLean. No one else is close.
    MacLean 719GP 324G 349A 673Points
    Huet stats put him average at best for NHL. 272GP 129W 90L 32T .913SVP 2.46GAA
    End of argument.

IHF Prospect
    I am at a loss. You forgot one of the best players ever to lace up the skate and he is American - Pat Lafontaine was and is by far considered to be the best player to come out of the USA by most hockey experts.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor207 View Post
    You are both wrong. The best player that was born in France is Paul MacLean. No one else is close.
    End of argument.
    Apart from being born there while his father was stationned in a NATO airforce base in France, McLean has absolutely no other connection to the country and even less to the local hockey scene. He grew up and learned the game in Canada. He never went back there to play like André Peloffy did. His impact on French hockey is simply inexistant. Most French hockey fans probably don't even know who he is. Saying he is the best player from France is purely ridiculous. This thread is about players who have left their mark on their country's hockey development, not just about how many points they've piled up in the NHL.

Huet is maybe an average NHL goalie at best but his impact on French hockey is tremendous. Same goes to Philippe Bozon. The list of North American players who have contributed to French hockey is endless like for most european nations but McLean is not on it.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciremya View Post
    Apart from being born there while his father was stationned in a NATO airforce base in France, McLean has absolutely no other connection to the country and even less to the local hockey scene. He grew up and learned the game in Canada. He never went back there to play like André Peloffy did. His impact on French hockey is simply inexistant. Most French hockey fans probably don't even know who he is. Saying he is the best player from France is purely ridiculous. This thread is about players who have left their mark on their country's hockey development, not just about how many points they've piled up in the NHL.

Huet is maybe an average NHL goalie at best but his impact on French hockey is tremendous. Same goes to Philippe Bozon. The list of North American players who have contributed to French hockey is endless like for most european nations but McLean is not on it.
    I agree with you 100%.
    Apart from accident of birth there is nothing connecting Paul McLean to French hockey at all.
    So what if he is the highest scoring former NHLer who happened to be born in France?
    Apart from being an interesting bit of trivia, it has no bearing on the discussion of the best player to come out of France.
    That is, an actual French national born and raised in the country while learning to play hockey within France's system.

IHF Prospect
    Still a legal French citizen.

IHF Member
    Still a legal French citizen.
    Only if one of his parents is French or also born there. Being solely born in France is not enough to get the citizenship.

IHF Member
    End of argument.
    By that logic, Rod Langway is the best Taiwanese player ever.

IHF Prospect
    Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    By that logic, Rod Langway is the best Taiwanese player ever.
    Rod Lang-wei?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information