Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greatest Player - country by country

For "British" players... Owen Nolan! Or maybe he'd count as Irish instead?

IHF Member
    GREECE: Dimitris Kalyvas

Quote Originally Posted by IceHockeyRULEZ View Post
    If we are living in America HOW are we supposed to have even heard of any British players??

The only "British" player I can think of is Steve Thomas and I think he's officially Canadian eventhough he was born in GB.

They aren't good enough to play in the Worlds and those aren't on TV in America any and they certainly can't make the Olympics or World Cup of Hockey.
    Not everyone in the forum is canadian... think about it.
    Not one part of this forum says anything about only post about canadians, its a international hockey forum. it says country by country, not only canadian hockey players...

Quote Originally Posted by RiaRiaHungaria View Post
    For "British" players... Owen Nolan! Or maybe he'd count as Irish instead?
    Northern Ireland, he is british.

Due to very "exciting" history of Croatia I will pick our best players in several categories

Best Croatian player in old Yugoslavia (1945-1991.) : Boris Renaud

Best Croatian player since 1991. (that didn't play it's junior days outside of the country) : Marko Lovrenčić

Best Croatian player since 1991. overall : This answer will have to wait after Borna Rendulić call his carrer

Best player that has any kind of connection with Croatia : Joe Sakic (parents born in Croatia moved to Canada because of political and ecnomical reasons)
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

IHF Member
    Hello Ouellette!

Thank you for telling about the Croats and a player with a Croat backround.

One oldtime WC player with an interesting backround is:

Frank Bonello

He was a Canadian player with a Maltese backround. Reaching a World Champ title in 1958!

All the best
    Jukka

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viperdan View Post
    Not one part of this forum says anything about only post about canadians, its a international hockey forum. it says country by country, not only canadian hockey players...
    That's true but I bet over half the posters here are either Canadian or American. So most of us wouldn't have even heard of a British player much less the best one ever.

But good look to you guys. I'd really like to see Great Britain get to the next level and make it to the Worlds. It would be nice if we could see a Britisher in the NHL too.
    Last edited by IceHockeyRULEZ; 05-09-2010 at 15:09.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoPens View Post
    GREECE: Dimitris Kalyvas
    Let's me justify my choice.

He has won 6 Greek Championships with Iptameni Athens. The last 3, 2008, 2009 and 2010 he was top scorer of the team and the league.

He was top scorer of the Greek National Team in the 2008, 2009 and 2010 World Championship. In the 2008 WC in Luxembourg, he was top scorer of the Worlds, in 2009 he was 2nd and 2010 he was tied for first. In 2010 the National Team won the Silver medal. The best result ever for Greek Ice Hockey. Out of all the players of the National Team, Dimitris has the most goals and most assists, and of course most points than anyone else. (He has also participated in the 1989, 1990 World Junior Ch. and in the 1995, 1998 and 1999 WCDivIII - where he was always in the top spots of the scoring leaders)

Dimitris Kalyvas is also considered by many as the person who saved Greek ice hockey from extinction back in 2007 (with the help of his teammates of course), but hes leadership and persistence, accompanied by the many meeting with IIHF officials during the congresses he attended but also from the many emails he exchanged with them during those years helped give Greek Ice Hockey a second life.

Great article about Dimitri's effort can be read here:

Greek hockey - against all odds
    Efforts by leaders like Kalyvas bring the Greek national team back to IIHF competitions.
    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...html?tx_ttnews[backPid]=1&cHash=9d816f8f27

So, despite having many great Greek players, I choose DIMITRIS KALYVAS as the best player of all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouellette View Post
    Best player that has any kind of connection with Croatia : Joe Sakic (parents born in Croatia moved to Canada because of political and ecnomical reasons)
    Ugh, I somehow doubt that there is any reason to name him as Croat since he has nothing to do with Croat hockey. If that would be the case, a lot of countries would name American and Canadian hockey players as their own, but in reality the country had nothing to do with his training or growth as a hockey player. If that would be the case I bet Belarus could name Gretzky, Latvia - Knuble or Harold Snepsts as their own. But I don't think that would be fair.

Quote Originally Posted by itry View Post
    Ugh, I somehow doubt that there is any reason to name him as Croat since he has nothing to do with Croat hockey. If that would be the case, a lot of countries would name American and Canadian hockey players as their own, but in reality the country had nothing to do with his training or growth as a hockey player. If that would be the case I bet Belarus could name Gretzky, Latvia - Knuble or Harold Snepsts as their own. But I don't think that would be fair.

He has nothing to do with Croatian hockey, but I put him in category "that has something in common with Croatia" and Sakic has a lot, his parents born here, Sakic's mother tonque was Croatian before he switched on english totally because of school, hockey... ;-)

After all he visited his father village (near Imotski-little town around 2000 people) few years ago and attend Marek Svatos wedding which was held in Croatia :)

IHF Member
    Gretzky would play for Poland if NHL players played for their ancestral home. The name Gretzky itself is of Polish descent.

Gretzky would play for Poland if NHL players played for their ancestral home. The name Gretzky itself is of Polish descent.
    "Gretzky's paternal grandfather Anton (Tony) Gretzky immigrated to Canada via the United States from Grodno Governorate, Russian Empire, now part of Belarus"

He still has close relatives that live in Belarus to this day, and he visited them when he went to KHL all star game last season. I know there are sources that state that his parents are Polish, some say Belorussians, other say Ukranian. But that is not the point that I made with my post.

Good point !

Quote Originally Posted by jukka ruskeeahde View Post
    Hello Ouellette!

Thank you for telling about the Croats and a player with a Croat backround.

One oldtime WC player with an interesting backround is:

Frank Bonello

He was a Canadian player with a Maltese backround. Reaching a World Champ title in 1958!

All the best
    Jukka

Anytime.

In ten years from now I will probably write another post about our best domestic player, because with Medvescak in EBEL, every doemstic player that will play more or less regularly in EBEL team will be by default better than any previous ones who played at much lower level such as Interliga or Slovenian championship.

Anytime.

In ten years from now I will probably write another post about our best domestic player, because with Medvescak in EBEL, every doemstic player that will play more or less regularly in EBEL team will be by default better than any previous ones who played at much lower level such as Interliga or Slovenian championship.
    I believe in Kanaet and Rendulić.

And now when Hečimović, Prpić and Sertić will be considered as Croats then Joel must be the best Croatian player because he even played in NHL.

But when making this estimation in the future it must be disjuncted:playerd born and learn to play hockey in Croatia and players with Croatian roots born in NA and learn to play hockey there.
    Hokej u Hrvatskoj ima svijetlu budućnost SAMO AKO mjerodavni ljudi rade svoj posao kako treba - Pršljen
    Hockey in Croatia has a bright future ONLY IF relevant people do their job right - Pršljen

IHF Member
    That's true but I bet over half the posters here are either Canadian or American. So most of us wouldn't have even heard of a British player much less the best one ever.

But good look to you guys. I'd really like to see Great Britain get to the next level and make it to the Worlds. It would be nice if we could see a Britisher in the NHL too.
    im an american and I knew of him and many other British players. I think the problem is some people need to do some research before just spurting nonsense ..

Quote Originally Posted by xunearthhxcx View Post
    im an american and I knew of him and many other British players. I think the problem is some people need to do some research before just spurting nonsense ..
    Tony Hand, Colin Shields, Davey Phillips (who's playing in Rockford of the AHL), etc. And I can speak for myself, and for a ton of other people here, that I've talked with/seen guys from Belarus, Sweden, Finland, Russia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines, China, Greece, etc. We're diverse here on these forums, and that's what makes it such a great experience.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    Does anyone know why Erich Kühnackl didn't play for West Germany in the 1980 Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by JEFF M View Post
    Does anyone know why Erich Kühnackl didn't play for West Germany in the 1980 Olympics?
    Was he good enough, injured?

Was he good enough, injured?

he had 155 points in 48 games that year in german league so, injury could be only reason why he miss olympics.

he is german player of the century.

IHF Member
    "Gretzky's paternal grandfather Anton (Tony) Gretzky immigrated to Canada via the United States from Grodno Governorate, Russian Empire, now part of Belarus"

He still has close relatives that live in Belarus to this day, and he visited them when he went to KHL all star game last season. I know there are sources that state that his parents are Polish, some say Belorussians, other say Ukranian. But that is not the point that I made with my post.
    Wow, interesting. Thanks for that.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Conesy View Post
    Tony Hand, Colin Shields, Davey Phillips (who's playing in Rockford of the AHL), etc. And I can speak for myself, and for a ton of other people here, that I've talked with/seen guys from Belarus, Sweden, Finland, Russia, the Netherlands, Belgium, Australia, New Zealand, the Philippines, China, Greece, etc. We're diverse here on these forums, and that's what makes it such a great experience.
    But how do you watch British hockey from here in America??

I assume the internet so what sites do you go to? It's just personal preference but I just don't find watching games on the internet enjoyable UNLESS it's something VERY important!

he had 155 points in 48 games that year in german league so, injury could be only reason why he miss olympics.

he is german player of the century.
    Thats not bad, haha.

IHF Member
    Hello you all interested in GB hockey!

Well, if we take a wider view, then;

Carl Erhart, born in England and having German originating parents, was in the GB 1936 gold-medal team and was a very important figure in British hockey in general all through the 1930s as well!

All the best
    Jukka

Quote Originally Posted by jukka ruskeeahde View Post
    Hello you all interested in GB hockey!

Well, if we take a wider view, then;

Carl Erhart, born in England and having German originating parents, was in the GB 1936 gold-medal team and was a very important figure in British hockey in general all through the 1930s as well!

All the best
    Jukka
    Ive never heard of him, ill check him up on google.

IHF Member
    Ive never heard of him, ill check him up on google.
    Take note, ICEHOCKEYRULEZ

But how do you watch British hockey from here in America??

I assume the internet so what sites do you go to? It's just personal preference but I just don't find watching games on the internet enjoyable UNLESS it's something VERY important!
    Tony Hand was in a feature in The Hockey News a while back, ditto goes for Colin Shields, though he played Division 1 hockey for the Maine Black Bears, so I also know him from that. And Davey Phillips was mentioned here on this very forum, which is why I know about him. I don't watch British hockey to be honest, though if anybody could link me to a site to watch, I will, yet you learn so much about other countries' players from this site.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xunearthhxcx View Post
    Take note, ICEHOCKEYRULEZ
    LOL...you cannot get an idea of what a player was REALLY like just by looking him up on google.

You would've had to seen him play at least on the internet. You think people could understand what players like Lafontaine, Neely, and Mike Gartner were like just by google??

They would get VERY limited info on what they were truly like. You need to see them in action.

IHF Member
    LOL...you cannot get an idea of what a player was REALLY like just by looking him up on google.

You would've had to seen him play at least on the internet. You think people could understand what players like Lafontaine, Neely, and Mike Gartner were like just by google??

They would get VERY limited info on what they were truly like. You need to see them in action.
    But you can get an idea of something about the player. VERY limited is better than NONE at all. pictures and videos are great if you know what to look for.. just saying LOL IM AMERICAN !! isnt a good excuse IMO..
    Last edited by xunearthhxcx; 08-09-2010 at 09:00.

Well stats don't lie. But to some extent, you are true when you say that you can't necessarily see the impact of these players completely unless you saw them play. However, in a lot of these countries, video wasn't around, so you'd have to go on the basis of their stats and/or word of mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by GoPens View Post
    So, despite having many great Greek players, I choose DIMITRIS KALYVAS as the best player of all times.
    What about a player like Marius Konstantinidis. Just recently stumbled upon his statistics from Grenoble in the French league, any other Greek player ever played at that level with success?
    Just to clarify I'm not trying to say you aren't right with D. Kalyvas, my knowledge of Greek hockey is very limited, just found his numbers impressive. And wanted to hear your input.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHawks View Post
    What about a player like Marius Konstantinidis. Just recently stumbled upon his statistics from Grenoble in the French league, any other Greek player ever played at that level with success?
    Just to clarify I'm not trying to say you aren't right with D. Kalyvas, my knowledge of Greek hockey is very limited, just found his numbers impressive. And wanted to hear your input.
    Actually Marius Konstantinidis and Igor Apostolidis will probably be in the top spots. The only reason i chose D. Kalyvas is beacause he plays in Greece and not abroad and it's great to see players playing in their country and then going to the Worlds and beeing top scorers. Both Marius and Igor are better players than D. Kalyvas since they play or played professional hockey abroad but they dont actually represent the quality of Greek hockey. If we look at it from that point of view then we can even chose Chris Chelios as the best Greek, since he is Greek-American. But he was never played in Greece or for Greece.

Anyhow, having said that. Marius Konstantidis and Igor Apostolidis are by far the best Greek Hockey players, but D.Kalyvas is the best Greek who lives and plays in Greece hockey player.

My choice then:
    1. Igor Apostolidis
    2. Marius Konstantinidis
    3. Dimitris Kalyvas
    Last edited by GoPens; 09-09-2010 at 19:49.

Thers a few excellent british players who should have made it to the NHL but hadnt,

Would anyone say that Colin Shields would be good enough in the NHL

Thers a few excellent british players who should have made it to the NHL but hadnt,

Would anyone say that Colin Shields would be good enough in the NHL
    Not a chance. The guy wasn't even point per game player in ECHL, what would he do in NHL.

Not a chance. The guy wasn't even point per game player in ECHL, what would he do in NHL.
    He has been in the top 5 points in the EIHL since he joined

He has been in the top 5 points in the EIHL since he joined
    Yes I can see that, but to be honest EIHL is far from NHL level. Not that I have seen much of EIHL games, only some scraps and bits of some videos. But by the looks of the imports it doesn't seem to be in the TOP10 in Europe either (this is just what I think at the moment, and it's not really backed up by any proof). The guy was drafted but didn't even play a single game in AHL, he's not good enough for NHL.

Yes I can see that, but to be honest EIHL is far from NHL level. Not that I have seen much of EIHL games, only some scraps and bits of some videos. But by the looks of the imports it doesn't seem to be in the TOP10 in Europe either (this is just what I think at the moment, and it's not really backed up by any proof). The guy was drafted but didn't even play a single game in AHL, he's not good enough for NHL.
    I know that, but the Elite League is the highest league in the country. haha

IHF Prospect
    My list for Canadians would be
    1. Orr
    2. Lemieux
    3. Gretzky

Pat Lafontaine would be high on any list of Americans, especially if his career wasn't so injury plagued.

As for the officials, you have to be careful as you see some linesmen mixed in with the referees. While important, they are two very different roles. Scampanello & Stickle were both linesmen, who were terrific at their jobs, but don't necessarily fit the same category as McCreary, who was chosen by the players to officiate two gold medal games at the olympics.
    Sief

Quote Originally Posted by Siefert View Post
    1. Orr
    2. Lemieux
    3. Gretzky
    I would say Gretzky is the best the world has ever seen, but Sidney Crosby is quickly catching him up.

the Elite League is the highest league in the country
    Which, relative to world hockey, is pretty much like saying you're the least stinkiest hobo in the city, and Colin Shields is the fattest flea in his beard.

And the only Brit who should have made it to the NHL almost did - Tony Hand. He's still the best Brit, possibly even player, in the country at 43 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by mattski93 View Post
    Which, relative to world hockey, is pretty much like saying you're the least stinkiest hobo in the city, and Colin Shields is the fattest flea in his beard.

And the only Brit who should have made it to the NHL almost did - Tony Hand. He's still the best Brit, possibly even player, in the country at 43 years old.
    We cant find that out, he is in the wrong league,

So that will be a mystery...
    you cant say he is the best when he is in a different league, but he would have a good chance if he did come back into the EIHL

If I heard correctly, the only reason why Tony Hand didn't make it to the NHL was because he wanted to stay home, or something around that

If I heard correctly, the only reason why Tony Hand didn't make it to the NHL was because he wanted to stay home, or something around that
    He didnt want to leave, i think he prefers where he was... if i am being honest, tony hand wouldnt look as good if he entered the NHL, im sure everyone agrees

He didnt want to leave, i think he prefers where he was... if i am being honest, tony hand wouldnt look as good if he entered the NHL, im sure everyone agrees
    Well keep in mind this was with the Oilers around the Gretzky era, or at least when they were pretty dang good. And the Oilers wanted him, which does say something.

Well keep in mind this was with the Oilers around the Gretzky era, or at least when they were pretty dang good. And the Oilers wanted him, which does say something.

That was back then, but im talking about if you but him into an NHL team now,

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    - Ron Berteling

All-time leading scorer of the Dutch National Team. Lead the Dutch league in scoring for many years. Also lead the Netherlands to their promotion to the top division (which also allowed them to participate in the 1980 olympics).
    What about John Wensink, played for the Dutch in 1989 worlds and scored 28 goals for Boston in one season.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Siefert View Post
    1. Orr
    2. Lemieux
    3. Gretzky

Pat Lafontaine would be high on any list of Americans, especially if his career wasn't so injury plagued.

As for the officials, you have to be careful as you see some linesmen mixed in with the referees. While important, they are two very different roles. Scampanello & Stickle were both linesmen, who were terrific at their jobs, but don't necessarily fit the same category as McCreary, who was chosen by the players to officiate two gold medal games at the olympics.
    Lemieux is hands down the greatest play EVER in the history of hockey. He had the hands, the skill, the speed, the shot, and something big Orr and Gretzky didn't and that's size!

Even Bill Clement said Lemieux is a better passer than Gretzky and Gretzky agreed with Orr in his autobiography that based on sheer talent Lemieux is the best ever!

When even Gretzky agrees that Lemieux is the most talented you KNOW it's true!!

I agree Lafontaine is the greatest American ever. At his prime he was like a mini Lemiuex and even challenged him for the scoring title one year!

IHF Member
    I would say Gretzky is the best the world has ever seen, but Sidney Crosby is quickly catching him up.
    Crosby couldn't even carry Lemieux's jock! Right now even Messier is ahead of Crosby and definitely Orr too!

IHF Member

Great Britain

My Fave's

Canada : Wayne Gretzky
    GB: Tony Hand
    USA: tricky one... I've always liked Mike Modano

CJ :)

IHF Prospect

Edmonton

Lemieux is hands down the greatest play EVER in the history of hockey. He had the hands, the skill, the speed, the shot, and something big Orr and Gretzky didn't and that's size!

Even Bill Clement said Lemieux is a better passer than Gretzky and Gretzky agreed with Orr in his autobiography that based on sheer talent Lemieux is the best ever!

When even Gretzky agrees that Lemieux is the most talented you KNOW it's true!!

I agree Lafontaine is the greatest American ever. At his prime he was like a mini Lemiuex and even challenged him for the scoring title one year!
    sorry, but check the record book for what Gretzky, Lemieux and Orr did and you'll see who's the greatest ever.... 99!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information