Thread: Armenia suspened 2 years by the IIHF

Armenia Armenia suspened 2 years by the IIHF

Before the opening of congress, on friday 11, some decisions already made are now subject to the ratification of the Congress

• Armenia: IIHF announced its decision to ban Armenia from all IIHF tournaments for the next two years. This is due to the fact that Armenia, in the last four years, did not ice a team in two different tournaments in which it was scheduled to compete. Armenia has the option of appealing this decision.
    Last edited by Jazz; 11-05-2007 at 10:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    • Armenia: IIHF announced its decision to ban Armenia from all IIHF tournaments for the next two years. This is due to the fact that Armenia, in the last four years, did not ice a team in two different tournaments in which it was scheduled to compete. Armenia has the option of appealing this decision.
    Which hopefully kills the allegations that the IIHA colluded with their immigration office to prevent Armenia from coming to the World Champs.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Which hopefully kills the allegations that the IIHA colluded with their immigration office to prevent Armenia from coming to the World Champs.

Graham.
    I'm sure the IIHF has looked at the evidence and made a fair ruling. Hopefully this does not lead Armenia to pull out for a long period. We'll know how ethical the Armenian federation is if they appeal and throw more refuse at the IIHA or if they go off quietly and accept justice.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles View Post
    ....Hopefully this does not lead Armenia to pull out for a long period.....
    That is what I am concerned about as well - that they might suspend and/or reduce the resources available to their hockey program.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

But at the same time, if they are, as the IIHA have led us to believe, submitting visa applications that are not just incorrect but clearly suspicious (i.e. claiming to be professional hockey players and unable to back them up, and then making wild accusations through the press, what can the IIHF do?

If we take it from the IIHF communication that they do not believe the IIHA colluded with their immigration authority (an assumption, admittedly, but not that wild a one), then Armenia is guilty of bringing the sport into disrepute. While we want to see Armenia in the international field and kick off a growing hockey infrastructure, they still need to tow the line. No other country has experienced the same problems as Armenia, and some of them would be from non-EU countries with poor economies that would make most EU immigration offices nervous (e.g. Bulgaria). And Armenia have fallen foul twice...

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Prospect
    I read on IIHF news that Armenia will play a qualification tournament with Greece and Bosnia-Herzegovina where the winner will take part in Luxembourg 2008.

No appeals this time, Armenia has been suspended for one year, and put on 3-year probation for, as the IIHF site said it, "entering numerous ineligible players at this yearís U20 and menís World Championship events"

They've been suspended from ALL LEVELS of competition.

I wonder if someone finally got a look at all the information on North American based players that our members have been digging up over the past year.

Good and fair decision. They fully desrved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldair View Post
    Good and fair decision. They fully desrved it.
    Reguardless of the decision, they are still the laughing stock of the IIHF. Even if they have all legal players, they still have a hard time competiting against anyone.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

Good move. This was the only right thing to do. Eventhough most of love to see hockey spreading, noone should accept the kind of things Armenia has done..

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Good move. This was the only right thing to do. Eventhough most of love to see hockey spreading, noone should accept the kind of things Armenia has done..
    I heard from those at the congress that during the discussion of the Armenian issue, a counsel member noted it was 14 illegal players at the Mens and 9 illegal players at U20...

14 at the senior's would be pretty much every player that got ice time, maybe save one..?
    ditto at the juniors, I think.

Seniors is tough to tell because stats have been deleted because of the forfeited games.
    Juniors: 9 players got more than 10 shots in the tournament... of those, 6 had more than 20. If we assume one of the illegals to be a goalie, then we're probably looking at Armenia having one legal player getting any real ice time (maybe 2)...

I hadn't figured it to be that bad. well, i'd HOPED it hadn't been that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    14 at the senior's would be pretty much every player that got ice time, maybe save one..?
    ditto at the juniors, I think.

Seniors is tough to tell because stats have been deleted because of the forfeited games.
    I only have the BIH-ARM game. I'll throw in their national team debuts just for argument's sake. Unfortuantely the shots weren't correct (Demerchyan had 3 goals on 0 shots?!?) but here we go anyway:
    GK's Lavik Ghazaryan (played, debut Iceland '06), Aram Vardanyan (emergency goalie, usually a forward debuting in Iceland '06)
    SkaterPosGoalsAssistsPIM+/-NT Debut
    Andranik KHACHATRYAND002+5Iceland '06
    Grikor DEMERCHYANF330+9U20 Turkey '07
    Petros ZHAMKOCHYAND104+3Ireland '07 (EL)
    Aram DETERDARYAND010+3U20 Turkey '07
    Manuk BALYANF110+1Iceland '06
    John GHAZANCHYANF620+7Iceland '06
    Karpis APELYAND00250Iceland '06
    Hakob AVETISYANF240+6Ireland '07 (EL)
    Sargis MAZMANYANF006+4Iceland '06
    Armen BUBUSHYANF0000Iceland '06
    Artur KECHEJYANF110+1U20 Turkey '07
    Davit TAKVORYANF030+5U20 Turkey '07
    Karapet BLIKYANF1000Iceland '06
    Aram ABRAHAMYAND000+4Iceland '06
    Joe ELMAZYANF012+8U20 Lithuania '06
    Harutyun QESHISHYANF310+3U20 Turkey '07

So looking at this you have 18 players (16+2), and if it is correct that 14 for invalid... wow.
    Notice is that only one of these guys played on a hopeless team, Elmazyan who played on the 2006 U20 team. I don't know who is and isn't eligible, but... 14 of 18? Come on.

Guess I was wrong about Armenia.Hopefully they learn something from this and come next year with a legal competitive team.
    14 seniors and 9 juniors
    Last edited by Sergei71; 30-05-2008 at 13:25.

Banned
    i am sorry for being a complete assholes too all of you here i hope things get better for Armenia but im shocked that this happen i dont even know if they will play in 2010 ...but we'll see

Quote Originally Posted by hawkey View Post
    i am sorry for being a complete assholes too all of you here i hope things get better for Armenia but im shocked that this happen i dont even know if they will play in 2010 ...but we'll see
    "and pride goeth before the fall"..., and the Armenian federation seems to have proven that one in spades. I have to admit even I never would have thought that it was to this extent so to that end I guess we were both at fault. Apologies completely unnecessary.

I just hope that the Armenian federation uses this as a learning experience to get their butts in gear.
    However, considering how far they appear to have gone, I fear that may not happen.

IHF Member
    'Armenia suspended indefinitely

Armenia was suspended indefinitely due to eligibility issues with their men’s national team that participated in the 2010 IIHF World Championship Division III Group B in Yerevan, Armenia. The member was on probation due to eligibility issues in the past. The Armenians used several ineligible players and are suspected of having submitted wrong information about players of American-Armenian double citizenship.

The results of all games involving the Armenian team do not count for the tournament.

A final decision will be taken as soon as the investigation is fully completed.'

Does anyone know what happened after the completion of the investigation. The above was on the IIHF website 10 months ago.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeoffH View Post
    'Armenia suspended indefinitely

Armenia was suspended indefinitely due to eligibility issues with their menís national team that participated in the 2010 IIHF World Championship Division III Group B in Yerevan, Armenia. The member was on probation due to eligibility issues in the past. The Armenians used several ineligible players and are suspected of having submitted wrong information about players of American-Armenian double citizenship.

The results of all games involving the Armenian team do not count for the tournament.

A final decision will be taken as soon as the investigation is fully completed.'

Does anyone know what happened after the completion of the investigation. The above was on the IIHF website 10 months ago.

Geoff
    yes, I know the answer. Absolutelly nothing.......

I've contacted the IIHF the last ten months between 20 or 30 times by e-mail. The IIHF Headquarter is approx. 20kms from my home.

Half the time I got always the same copy-paste answer: "We've still to decide". And the other half, no answer....

Kind of arrogance from the IIHF..... again....
    Cheers, Franco

I guess they want to see if the Armenian federation will ever become Armenian, or if it will still be run from Los Angeles.
    A long-term ban would not help if players in Armenia decided to take back their organisation,... but I've given up asking for updates as I'm pretty sure the IIHF is just content to keep it indefinite, for the indefinite future.

IHF Member
    Saw this from NToIH

http://www.nationalteamsoficehockey....key-09-02-2015

Maybe Armenia will be able to form an IIHF qualified team in future.

IHF Member
    Does anyone know more about this ? Seems to be about an Armenian team getting a big win in Sochi !! Seems unlikely.

From NToIH http://sochiice.ru/blackseaice/index.html

Both news are interesting. I think both are about the same team "Ararat", playing at BelarussianU18.
    Funny, that this team does quite well there - on the fifth place right now, and even if the best U18 players of Belarus play at their second league or MHL-B, it' a quite unlikely result. I couldn't find any roster, but my guess that they are Armenians born in Russia, learned hockey in Russia, and have duall nationality. Guess the intention is that after two years, playing in this team, they will be eligible for representing Armenia.
    Speaking about BelarusianU18, I don't know where Ararat's home games are played - guess not in Yerevan or in Armenia.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDani View Post
    Both news are interesting. I think both are about the same team "Ararat", playing at BelarussianU18.
    Funny, that this team does quite well there - on the fifth place right now, and even if the best U18 players of Belarus play at their second league or MHL-B, it' a quite unlikely result. I couldn't find any roster, but my guess that they are Armenians born in Russia, learned hockey in Russia, and have duall nationality. Guess the intention is that after two years, playing in this team, they will be eligible for representing Armenia.
    Speaking about BelarusianU18, I don't know where Ararat's home games are played - guess not in Yerevan or in Armenia.
    Many thanks, explains how an 'Armenian' team can be competitive !!

Geoff

What has snuck under the radar, partly by the IIHF never posting it in an article was a pretty big news story of Armenia's indefinite suspension ending. In the News and Notes section of Ice Times Vol. 19 No. 4, page 3 included this:
    Quote Originally Posted by IIHF
    After careful review the IIHF Council decided that the Armenia suspension should be lifted. The Council requested the IIHF Semi-Annual Congress to supports its judgement and lift the Armenia suspension. Armenia was suspended indefinitely due to eligibility issues with their men’s national team that participated in the 2010 IIHF World Championship Division III Group B in Yerevan, Armenia. The member was on probation due to eligibility issues in the past.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trim View Post
    What has snuck under the radar, partly by the IIHF never posting it in an article was a pretty big news story of Armenia's indefinite suspension ending. In the News and Notes section of Ice Times Vol. 19 No. 4, page 3 included this:
    Thanks I'd missed that. So we might be seeing Armenia trying to enter the IHWC in 2017. Maybe as U18s.

Geoff

IHF Member
    Seems that they play their Belarussian youth league games in Vitebsk ice arena.
    Roster can be found here:http://sochiice.ru/blackseaice/team5.html
    I believe they play with same roster in Belarussian league as well.

IHF Member
    So called Armenian team HC Ararat is now playing in Belarus Higher League, 2nd league in Belarus. They are at the top of the table right now. There are some Armenian names in roster, but all are born in Russia and have Russian citizenship. All other players also are from Russia or Belarus. This team based in Orsha, Belarus. They want to play some exhibition matches in Armenia and also planning a team build up in Armenia in future according to their manager Ruben Stepanjan.
    Lets see how it ends in near future.

This Ararat-project is all about domestication I think. They played previous year int he BelarusU18 with mostly the same roster, now they moved a level up. Guess most of the players will acquire Armenian citizenship soon and then they enter to the World Championship with a team which is on a Div2/a level (I say it because mostly the Lithuanian players also trained in this league) in the next one-two years.

Quote Originally Posted by MDani View Post
    This Ararat-project is all about domestication I think. They played previous year int he BelarusU18 with mostly the same roster, now they moved a level up. Guess most of the players will acquire Armenian citizenship soon and then they enter to the World Championship with a team which is on a Div2/a level (I say it because mostly the Lithuanian players also trained in this league) in the next one-two years.
    i think that this is good project. World will get new serious nation on horisont and this is good. If we see that in last 10-15 years, there is no new nation on horisont( beside Island and probably China in a few years becouse of Asian and khl league), this is the only way. I dont have anything against this way. Some really fanatic man or organization start this project, and this is going on right direction. So, just with these serious project like this or China is the future, or the rest is not possible. A lot of money is the key for development, nothing else
    A-light-in-the-dark: Sofia Bulgaria, Skopje Macedonia, Sarajevo & Pristina :)

Thread Information