View Poll Results: Who will win between Russia and Sweden?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Russia (E1) will win

19 70.37%
  • Sweden (E2) will win

8 29.63%

Thread: BRONZE MEDAL GAME - Russia (E1) vs Sweden (E2) Game thread

Mens IHWC BRONZE MEDAL GAME - Russia (E1) vs Sweden (E2) Game thread

Sun May 13th, 2007. 4:15pm local time.

Russia
    vs
    Sweden

Post your predictions, comments before after and during the game etc....

6-3 Russia.
    Aqua jacta est

4-1 Sweden.

Russia was on a mission to win this tournament....now that they can't, I wonder if they will care about the bronze.

3-2 Sweden.

Russia

I usually try not to make brash calls, but I will this time. Russia is going to pepper the goalie and out flank the Swedes fast. On the other hand, the Swedes will buckle and prevent a much worser fate, only to loose 4-2.

I wish they would play Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk as a line in the next game, they looked dominant on the power play.

Russia will fight for their home crowd, and Sweden looked tired yesterday.

5-1 Russia.

2007 IHWC

Quote Originally Posted by Bennison View Post
    Russia will fight for their home crowd, and Sweden looked tired yesterday. 5-1 Russia.
    But I have just read that your team will fight till the end today... What do your newspapers write about this game?

Our new Captain Sergey Gonchar said that our guys will do all their best to get medals...
    "Keep nothing in your house that you can't use or don't find beautiful" W.Morris :smart:

Quote Originally Posted by DIN View Post
    But I have just read that your team will fight till the end today... What do your newspapers write about this game?

Our new Captain Sergey Gonchar said that our guys will do all their best to get medals...
    Why is Gonchar the captain now ? Oh I just remembered Petr was a victim....fair play .

Depends on both team's mindsets. Could be a lethargic end of the season affair or one where all pressure is lifted & both teams attack for once. Russia by one .. perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by takharov View Post
    Why is Gonchar the captain now ? Oh I just remembered Petr was a victim....fair play .
    Ok, you need to get over it.

I don't know if you watched the game at all but that Schastilivi's injury was not a result of any dirty play by the Finnish side. He battled for the puck with Tomi Kallio (not known for his physical play), they hit shoulder to shoulder and Schastilivi lost his balance. It didn't look bad, he didn't land awkward or didn't hit the side of the rink. I couldn't believe he was really hurt until he didn't return to the play. The only thing I can think of that happened to him there was a twisted ankle or something as his skate hit the ice in an odd angle before falling on the ice. There was nothing dirty or bad fair play about that situation.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

IHF Member
    Sweden will take it, it it will be the last chans for many players to play in a championship, a bronze will stay in the history books a 4:e place not.

In the championship to come Bengt-Åke will take in more NHL-players all to be ready for OG 2010 so many in this team have there last chans to come home whit someting.

They have allso done better then most swedish ever hoped. It was in swedish media deskived as the weekest national team in modern times. So a top 4 and a shoot att the bronze are good. Sweden cant win every tournament. Its very diffucult to win and take gold. Look att Russia....

Not many sports you have a championship there 7 of 16 teams can take the gold. The big problem are that the glap behind the seven gold contenders and the rest are to big. Hoppfully Switzerland, Belarus and Germany can close it and maybe Denmark and Latvia to but its a long way....after the big 7 the hockey world needs a darkhorse five....

Ok over to the game. Russia are the strongest team in this Championship but I think the lost against Finland have broke them mentally.

Sweden 5-3. But if Sweden wins and the players looks sharp and hungry I will be a bit angry becurse the way they played the canadiens its in the SF and not in a bronzegame you shall have your top. Sweden did its worst game since World Cup QF against Czech.republic in 2004 so from now it can only get better.

Sweden, 4:2.
    Still, it is all or nothing in our minds. Sounds strange but Bronze's nothing this time.
    Nothing to be done, imperial (or rather Soviet) way of thinking ;-).

Kenny Jönsson (and Fredrik Bremberg) will be benched for today's game.

Russia

Alexei Emelin scores on 6 minute!!! 1:0 for our team!!!
    "Keep nothing in your house that you can't use or don't find beautiful" W.Morris :smart:

Russia

Sergey Zinovyev scores!!! 2:0...

Russia

Second period will be started with PP for Russia 4X3 (but just for some seconds) and than for about 2 minutes 5X4.

SOG is 5:9 for Sweden.

Russia

Alex Froloooooooooooooov assisted by Malkin 3:0!!! Excellent Goal!!!!! Emotions come back to me!!! Go-Go, Russian team!!!

Russians seem to concentrate on playing the puck instead of diving&fishing like yesterday. Well, one there was indeed (at 13.41) but the ref was awake and gave a penalty to the Russian player for it. Good call indeed!

All in all, it's 3-0 now and based on actions in the rink, Russians really deserve the upcoming win, as Swedes look really tired and unwilling for the bronze.

Finland

Quote Originally Posted by amoracing View Post
    ... diving&fishing like yesterday...
    Hope, ya won't need diving in today's game!!! Have you really watched the game yestarday? I have decided to watch it one more time today ('cos a lot of people tell about "jumps" of our players), and have found about 5 more PP that referee should give to your team!!! At the same time we should do all we need in the main time.

Please, do NOT start this discussuion one more time, 'cos not everything is correct!!!
    This thread is about today's game.

BTW, Ëvgeni Malkin 11 is absolutely an outstanding player. The best one in this tournament, no question.
    - High commitment to the team and the team's system with humble and hardworking approach, unlike most of the supertalented Russian hockey stars in a past few years. A real coach's dream!

Quote Originally Posted by DIN View Post
    Have you really watched the game yestarday?
    Please, do NOT start this discussuion one more time, 'cos not everything is correct!!!
    This thread is about today's game.
    DIN, yes I have seen it; I wouldn't mind mentioning it otherwise. However you're right, my comment unnecessarily provoked here in this thread and went slightly off-topic. I apologize. Case closed.. :)

- My main point was meant to be that Team Russia plays it well and with really good attitude today (in not so easy circumstances). Good for all Russians!

3-0 after second period...good game

2007 IHWC

... in not so easy circumstances...
    It's good for our Hockey, we need to make a good team for the next year!!!

I hope we'll see an excellent game in the Final today!!!

P.S.: Russia still press the Defence of Sweden...

Amazing, how could we lose that style yersterday? So nice to see both teams acts in creative manner. Real hockey, not blood, swept and tears as RUS-FIN. Oh, sorry, seems I'm gettin a bit off-top too.
    God, such a shame we don't play vs Canada this time. Lucky Cans..

Мы были лучшие в этот раз? We'll never know.

Alexander Steen makes it a 3-1 game on the pp at 48:08

the game is over congrats to RUS and all their members on winning bronze. it's sad that you will not play for gold i thought a RUS-CAN GM game would have benn something to see RUS won 3-1 and what a fantastic tournament for RUS

Congrats at RUS for very good WC!!
    Best players: Emelin and Tarnstrom

Congrats to RUS! They could really raise up with their spirit for this bronze match.
    - In the meanwhile, it was really surprising to see that toothless/ball-less team Sweden in a bronze game.

Congrats to RUS! They could really raise up with their spirit for this bronze match.
    - In the meanwhile, it was really surprising to see that toothless/ball-less team Sweden in a bronze game.
    Didn't this "toothless/ball-less" all national league-based team beat the Finnish team with a score of NHL'ers earlier in the tournament?

If you want to post in this forum, you need to observe board rule #1: respect for other hockey countries.

So far, most of your posts have revealed a disrespect for other countries.

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    Didn't this "toothless/ball-less" all national league-based team beat the Finnish team with a score of NHL'ers earlier in the tournament?

If you want to post in this forum, you need to observe board rule #1: respect for other hockey countries.

So far, most of your posts have revealed a disrespect for other countries.
    I guess his point was to say that it was surprising to see Sweden's good team perform in such toothless way in the bronze medal game.

Gongratulations to RUS on bronze medal, I was astonished to see how motivated they were.

Congrats Russia for the bronze medals! I know it was a big disappointment not to make the final but 3rd place is a good place for any team in a very intense tournament like this.

Also congrats to Sweden. I think the 4th place for this Swedish team is a good achievement.
    Aqua jacta est

Quote Originally Posted by lator View Post
    I guess his point was to say that it was surprising to see Sweden's good team perform in such toothless way in the bronze medal game.

Gongratulations to RUS on bronze medal, I was astonished to see how motivated they were.
    Doesn't change the fact that he was violating the board rules.

I would like to see Sweden in 3rd place, but if I have to, I must say: Gongrats Russia...

I think thats quite a harsh judgement on this swedish team. I think its as simple as this team cant take to it the next level no matter what, they simply lack quality compared to the other semifinal teams. As i mentioned in the swe - slovakia game thread i hope that our next WC team features SEL players exclusively. The whole concept of waiting for players to get knocked out of the NHL playoffs is just ridiculous IMO, it just establishes the tournament as a looser competition.

Thread Information