Thread: Official 2008 Tournaments Released

IIHF Official 2008 Tournaments Released

http://www.iihf.com/events/championships.pdf

Interesting things to note here:
    • Armenia isn't listed for any tournaments. The ban is still in place?
    • South Africa is back in U20.
    • Turkey once again hosts the U18 Div III Qualifier, this time a proper tournament with Chinese Taipei and Mongolia entering.
    • Still no host for Women's Div II.
    • There will only be a top division in Women's U18.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles View Post
    http://www.iihf.com/events/championships.pdf

Interesting things to note here:
    • Armenia isn't listed for any tournaments. The ban is still in place?
    Hopefully. Why shouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    Hopefully. Why shouldn't they?
    Wasn't there talk of the ban being changed into a significant fine instead? May have dreamt that up, though...

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Wasn't there talk of the ban being changed into a significant fine instead? May have dreamt that up, though...

Graham.
    You might be right, but it's news to me. I personally don't care if it's a big fine or a ban, i just think that a hard punishment is appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
    i just think that a hard punishment is appropriate.
    Agreed, although I suppose a heavy fine would make more sense, especially considering a Division III nation.

I think thing to watch will be that U18 Div IIIQ in terms of development. Not about the players, but to see where this goes. Mongolia is sending a team, which is probably expected since the senior team competes and they formerly only had a U18 team playing. Chinese Taipei is back in the junior fray since the Asia/Oceanics came to a close. My question is, and TPE is the big hint to this, is Mongolia's 2007 senior team the spark that leads to an invAsian (sorry, I had to do it) of IIHF tournaments? With Taipei putting their U18 team in international competition, will we see Malaysia, Thailand, or UAE consider entering junior or senior teams for 2009 or later?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member

Taipei Chinese Taipei hockey in hungarian way - Interview with Kristóf Kővágó

An article from the official website of the Hungarian Icehockey Federation. It is an interview with hungarian Kristóf Kővágó, ex-national team player, now Head Coach of Chinese Taipei U18 national team.

We asked the hungarian Head Coach of U18 national team of Chinese Taipei - Kristóf Kővágó...

1. How did you get to Chinese Taipei as a coach?

They met me in Vierumaki, Finland where I attended the IIHF Hockey Development Camp, they were looking for a coach for a taiwanese club and for the national team. At that time I was employed by the national team of Republic of South Africa.

2. What is Your task and which teams do You work for?

I'm coaching a local club in Taipei and I'm also full-time Head Coach of Chinese Taipei's U18 national team. The name of the club is Taipei Silver Monsters. So far their national team did not participate in an IIHF WC, and their U18 team will play their first U18 WC in March, there is no senior national team formed here yet. I signed my contract in which I insisted on participating in the official IIHF event. We worked on this program together with my manager, and this program convinced the local leaders about the participation in IIHF WC.

3. What are the circumstances for a taiwanese hockey player?

Unfortunately circumstances here are not yet favourable. They just finished the new rink when I got here, it resembles to our Budapest Sportaréna in Hungary. It is a big stadium, a multifunctional arena in which all kinds of events can be organized, and there is our indoor rink built beside it, in which almost all teams are training. It's also used by figure skaters, speedskaters and it is also open for public skating, so it is totally used up to its limits, which is not good for the teams, who can practice on ice only two times a week. Unfortunately even the dressing rooms are used as storages. There are two rinks in Taipei and one in the southern part, in Kaoshiung, and only one of these rinks is standard size, the other two are much smaller. Players have to play a monthly fee, those who practice with the national team too have to play a bit more then a regular player. Fee is around 3,600 HUF (~ 15 EURO/ 20 USD) per month, it contains the fee of coach and the hire of the rink. Everything is paid by the players or by their parents.
    Clubs have all kind of teams from U8 to the senior level, but not all the teams are represented on all levels, my team is the only one which has everything from U8 to senior team.
    The state does not help development of hockey at all, and I'm sorry to say but it's the fault of the people here. Mentality of the people is totally different from ours. For us it is hardly comprehensible what is going on here. I always resemble it to the european feudalism, which means if I would like to make an appointment with a sponsor, I have to beg to the owner's secretary for 3-4 months, it takes about 3-4 months for her to organize the meeting with the manager, who most likely doesn't even attend our meeting, but if I can contact him he will call his boss, who -if everything is going fine- will listen to me in about 7-8 months. Owner of the company thinks he is above everything, he considers his workers as slaves, who cannot even query his decisions. Usually those people play hockey here who were born in quite rich families.

4. Do You already speak the local chinese language?

I'm not pressed to speak chinese, I speak in english with my players. I understand basic words, numbers, days, words connected to hockey, sometimes I understand if players speak in chinese.

5. What about Your long-term plans?

Right now I'm feeling fine coaching here. I don't have long-term plans, I signed a contract until 2009, then we will see. I have offers from other countries too, but nothing is for sure. Later I would like to work as an Assistant Coach of a very well known Head Coach, to learn more about coaching a team.

Taipei Big Egg stadium: here
    Last edited by Krisz; 25-11-2007 at 21:32.
    „HOCKEY IS WHERE WE LIVE

Life is just a place where we spend time between games”

Thread Information