Thread: NZ Womens Team - Ice Fernz

IHF Member

New Zealand NZ Womens Team - Ice Fernz

Thought it was about time we started a thread on Womens ice hockey in New Zealand for all you fans out there.

We have had a national womens side since 1999 I should know as I have been a member of it since its inception.

We gave ourselves the name of Ice Fernz back in I think 2002 (can't remember exactly) during a series against the Ozzies.

We have played the Ozzies on four seperate occasions, losing three series but the last one in 1996 (admittedly it was the Austraian A not the national side) we won all three games. Goes to show that we are not far behind the Oz at least in womens hockey anyhow - and the men play in their division in 08 so we will see!!!

The Ice Fernz played at 2005 Div 4 - Worlds placing 2nd to Korea, 2007 worlds placing 3rd closely (one goal each game) behind Croatie who were promoted and Romania.

We hope to take the Gold medal in 2008 and get promoted to Div 3 - fingers crossed all goes well - as anyone will tell you we were the best skilled and skating team in 2007 with plenty of structure and systesm unfortunatley not accurate enough in shooting or committed enough in defence. But next year is a new ball game!!

The team is well rounded for th eup and coming worlds with many players having been on the team since 1999/2000 - I think correct me if I am wrong but myself (Angelique Mawson), Michelle Cox, Eve Anderson and Susan Green are still from the inaugural team. Hope I havn't forgotten anyone, also mention Annabelle Lewis since the year after inception 2000, along with heaps of new talent and up and coming youngsters ready to fill the gaps as the years progress.

Any questions email me and I can answer or forward to our Coach, Manager etc as appropriate

Thanks for the information. Please keep it coming and inform the world on what is going on down there.

Also, welcome aboard!

IHF Member
    Thanks, by the way I am going to Turkey in April 2008 after worlds for hopefully one year to coach/play hockey, I need to know if I must have an ITC transfer card to play in the womens club league in Ankara, - I am assuming I definitely would should the team qualify for the European Cup? do you know by chance?

Welcome angelique,

Even if I don't post here, I read this discussion. I'm really interested by the women hockey in New Zealand so if you have any informations or anything else,keep us informed. Thanks.
    Last edited by wachoo; 20-10-2007 at 12:22.

IHF Member
    Well not much news, we have our first Sqaud Camp for the year in December, then there will be another in January and March (the team is usually selected after December camp). Then off to Worlds Div IV in Romania (again!). To see how we fare, we should well, we should place anywhere from 1st, 2nd or 3rd I would expect (hopefully 1st!)

IHF Member
    1st Squad Camp for Ice Fernz
    Christchurch
    1-4th Dcember
    Come on down and check out the Ice Fernz in action! There is some great new and old talent in this squad!

IHF Member
    UPDATE ON ICE FERNZ:
    The first training squad was held early December and a great turn out for final spots in the Ice Fernz team, which will be announced later this month. Some exceptional new and young talent coming through the ranks - which is great to see. Along with the old and experienced heads the Ice Fernz look towards Romania with Gold in their sights.

Coach Mark Symons has a tough job ahead to select the final players from a talented pool and then the team will work hard on their fitness over the summer break before the next camp in January.

These old legs are still going strong (this will be my 10th season for the Ice Fernz- and I look forward to the next camp pending selection for the team :)

IHF Member
    For anyone interested the Ice Fernz (NZ national womens team) managed a SIlver medal at the Div 4 Worlds. Not quite the Gold they were hoping for but still an impressive showing, this division has really improved and all teams perhaps apart from Turkey were competitive in at least 2-3 of their games. Iceland were strong throughout, NZ dominated every game apart from Iceland, Romania as expected showed some great individual talent, and Sth Africa and Estonia had moments of brilliance.
    NExt year will be a doozy.

Thread Information