Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 100 Top Hockey Stories of the Century by IIHF

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    This story is worth reading - I'm amazed it isn't coming in much higher. In my eyes, this might be one of the greatest series in that two of the best players ever from NA were playing together on one line. Not only that but they did what was expected. A chilling series for Canadians. Forget the other super series - this was just plain good hockey all around, without the goon tactics that other series were known for.

It's one of my favourite international hockey memories. The whole tournament was high quality from what I recall.

Story #20

Canada Cup '87 – 99 & 66 perform pure magic
    September 15, 1987 — Hamilton, Canada

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-ii.../story-20.html

video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS9BwliAJus
    I agree, but IIHF has a very heavy European slant on things, and NA media are the opposite. Maybe you need to go to a different continent to get an objective opinion, but the media in other continents don't care about hockey
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

Stories #17-19 have been added. They all cover events from 1969 and 1970.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

The top 10 stories are now posted on the IIHF site. I may have a biased opinion being from Canada, but as objective as I can be, I dont agree that the U.S. olympic team victory in 1980 is the most important hockey event of the century. Instead, I truly feel the Soviet-Canada series of 1972 has much more significant impact. Here are a few reasons:

1. 1980 was a 1 game scenario. 1972 was 8 incredibly difficult games. Anything can happen in 1 game, and in 1980 it did. But lets be honest, if the USSR had played the U.S. college kids in a full series, that one U.S. victory would have been their last.

2. 1972 series broke the "myth" of Canadian invincibility and introduced a new way of playing the game, changed training and preparation methods of professional players and teams in the NHL. The Soviets can be credited with changing this landscape thanks to their strong play over many years.

3. Summit series forced the Soviets to change their tactics as well. They had won 9 straight WC, and needed a new challenge. Canada's physical and "never give up" style was something I dont think the USSR had seen before. Clearly, the Soviets adopted some of these tactics and styles into their teamplay in the coming years.

4. Summit series results facilitated new tournaments of "best on best" like the Canada Cup.

To me, the 1972 series had a huge impact on changing and improving the international hockey landscape which the 1980 game cannot match. I am sure many posters will not agree, but that is my view.

Agreed.

The Miracle on Ice of 1980 may be the biggest upset ever in international hockey but the Summit Series of 1972 had a deep and lasting impact on the Canadian and European hockey cultures. The Summit series marked the magical moment when North American and European hockey started to converge.

For this reason there can be little doubt that the Summit Series should have been listed #1.

Also, I would put the Canadian-Soviet finals of the Canada Cup of 1987 in top 5, perhaps even at #2.

Karsten
    Valid point on Canada Cup 1987 finals. Arguably, the 3 games were the best ever between Can-Soviets, and I particulary remember thinking that game 2, which we all know went to a
    2nd overtime, was at a pace that I have yet to see matched. It also featured some of the best players that each country have ever produced in Soviet KLM line and Gretzky-Lemieux-Messier combination for Can. I have sometimes wondered how hockey could have developed even faster if NHL would have had forsight to play against Euro competition 20-30 years before the summit series. It would have been interesting, from Canadian perspective to see players like Bobby Hull, Gordie Howe, Maurice Richard, Doug Harvey- NHL Canada legends of 1950's-60's play their Euro counterparts. I, for one, am convinced that the Soviets had caught up to the NHL level by the mid-1960's, even though there are no games between the countries to prove it at that time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information