Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: NCAA vs. CIS games (& other odd matchups)

Was at the RPI-Bentley game last night and noticed that RPI's back-up goalie was a senior who spent is first two years in college playing for RPI's ACHA team. I thought that was kind of cool. I wonder how often it for club players to get "called up" to DI rosters.

Quote Originally Posted by pcal226 View Post
    Was at the RPI-Bentley game last night and noticed that RPI's back-up goalie was a senior who spent is first two years in college playing for RPI's ACHA team. I thought that was kind of cool. I wonder how often it for club players to get "called up" to DI rosters.
    Ohio State did it a few seasons ago when the injury bug hit them
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for November 25, 2015

#8 Adrian (NCAA DIII) 1 @ USA U-18 (USHL) 4

The Adrian College Bulldogs travelled up the road to Plymouth, MI to face the US U-18 Team. The USNTDP squad handled the Bulldogs, who made it to the DIII Frozen Four last year, pretty easily. I wasn't surprised by the result, but I was a little surprised it wasn't closer.

Not super unusual per se, but Lowell beat Brown in a shootout (after multiple lead changes) to win the Belpot Trophy in Belfast, NI. This was the culminating game of the Friendship Four tournament, between those two, Northeastern, and Colgate.

The only unusual aspect of that tournament was that it was held in Ireland. Would have been cool to see one or more of the teams take on EIHL Belfast, and/or another EIHL or EPL club.

Arizona State, in its transitional year jumping to NCAA D.I hockey, plays a pair of games tonight and tomorrow against defending CIS champion Alberta. Tonight's game starts in an hour and a half and can be viewed online as a free live stream here: http://pac-12.com/mens-ice-hockey/ev...ty-alberta-cis

.....And Arizona State beats Alberta 5-4 in a shootout in the first game of the two game set. Alberta outshot ASU somewhere around 40-20 but couldn't get the win. Alberta led 1-0 before the first period ended 1-1. Alberta led 2-1 in the second before ASU tied the game, and then took a 3-2 lead over Alberta before the end of two periods. Alberta tied the game 3-3 only 31 seconds into the third and took a 4-3 lead with about 6 or 7 minutes to go. ASU pulled their goalie and tied the game with 14 seconds left to play before winning the shootout 2-0.

Robert Levin, who was ASU's all-star starter their last couple of years as an ACHA D.I club, but who has barely played this season (& has a 3.80 GAA and sub-.900 save percentage in 3 NCAA-level contests), went the distance for the Sun Devils. Siemens (Alberta's starting goaltender) played the first half of the game for Alberta, making 13 saves on 15 shots, before the Alberta backup came in to play the last half of the game. He was very weak, looking shaky even on routine dump-ins. He gave up 2 goals on 5 or 6 shots, and struggled to make the saves that he did. He did not make a save in the shootout. Frankly, he looked very, very bad.

I didn't see the first period, though the announcers mentioned that Alberta dominated it. The second period was pretty evenly played. Alberta completely dominated the third period.

So Alberta travels south and loses to a first year NCAA D.I team that used an ACHA goalie and 4 other players who played ACHA hockey last season. The remainder of ASU's roster for this game were almost all freshmen. Not good, Golden Bears. On the other hand, full credit to Arizona State for taking advantage of the chances they did get, and for taking advantage of a weak Alberta backup goalie.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for December 4, 2015

Alberta (CIS) 4 @ Arizona State 5

Well it was an exciting one in Tempe. After pulling their goalie, the Sun Devils scored with just seconds left to force overtime, and after a scoreless 4-on-4 overtime, took the Golden Bears down in a shootout. Alberta had almost double the shots of ASU, but the Sun Devils were able to capitalize on their chances when it counted. It was a hard-fought game between a steadily improving ASU team against a very good CIS team in Alberta. I won't at all be surprised to see this game end in Alberta's favor tomorrow, but I expect it to be a close one again either way.

Arizona State (NCAA D.1) vs. Alberta (CIS) game 2 is live a half-hour from now. Free live stream here: http://pac-12.com/live/arizona-state-university

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for December 5, 2015

Alberta (CIS) 3 @ Arizona State 2

As predicted it was another close one. This time it was Alberta who had to come from behind to force OT and once again the OT ended in a tie. This time however, it was Alberta who came out on top in the exhibition shootout. I only caught the very end of tonights game, but from what I saw it looks like ASU's goaltender really gave the Sun Devils a chance to win against what was probably a better team. ASU should be happy with, in effect, back-to-back ties against the Golden Bears. They're gonna need to find as many positives as they can to take away from this series, because their schedule gets much much tougher in the second half of the season.

I saw the entire second game between Alberta and Arizona State. Alberta dominated possession and dominated offensive zone time. They badly outshot ASU. Alberta is a more skilled team, and they are older, heavier and taller than ASU. They have better hockey sense. ASU, however, was a faster team, and had superior goaltending. ASU used its #2 goaltender (formerly its #1 when they were an ACHA team) in the first game, and its freshman #3 goaltender in the second game - both were better than Alberta's #1 goaltender Luke Siemens. Alberta's backup goalie was awful. ASU's defense did a good job taking away the slot area and forcing Alberta's offensemen to go wide. Most of their shots were from wide angles and thus not terribly dangerous. Alberta had superior stickhandling and cycling, as well as superior passing. However, they lack an electrifying, game-breaking type of player, and none of them have particularly fast or heavy shots. ASU took good advantage of the few opportunities they had, scoring two goals in the series off of Alberta turnovers in the Alberta zone. When they did get chances, they seemed more dangerous than Alberta. ASU's third line was all former ACHA players (formerly their top line, now their third line). They played very well against Alberta and scored several goals in the first game. At times, every player on the ice for ASU in the first game were former ACHA players (excepting the goalie, same thing in the second game). ASU's top two lines consist entirely of freshmen. I don't see this season's edition of the Golden Bears as being able to challenge top NCAA D.1 teams. Teams like Boston College and North Dakota would eat them alive.

Eh, I'm not sure you can read too much into these exhibition games. "Eat them alive" might be a little harsh. Keep in mind, UNB beat BC 5-2 this year. Based on their records, Alberta and UNB seem pretty comparable this year. So you never know.

I was definitely surprised though that even ASU's backup goalies were so noticeably better than Alberta's.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for December 12, 2015

USA U-18 (USHL) 4 @ Princeton 1

Poor goaltending on Princeton's part gave the US U-18s the win tonight at Hobey Baker Rink. Team USA scored three goals on the Tiger's starting goalie before he was benched, and then added an empty netter late in the game. I know Princeton isn't great this year, but they're a little better than they have been the past couple of years. I'm surprised they were outplayed by the USNTDP.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for December 13, 2015

USA U-18 (USHL) 9 @ Neumann 1

Not much of a game here. The USNTDP took down the NCAA DIII Neumann University Knights by the score of 9-1. I'm a little surprised the score was this lopsided. Neumann isn't particularly good but they're not terrible either. The Knights were outshot 39-31, so they were outplayed, but its not like they weren't able to generate any offense. The US U-18 team is now 8-1-1 against all NCAA opponents this year (5-1-1 vs. NCAA DI and 3-0-0 vs. NCAA DIII), so its no surprise they won. But this is their biggest margin of victory yet this season against the NCAA.

My comments on Alberta were based upon the two games I watched them play against ASU. Based on those games, I think North Dakota and other top NCAA D.I teams would crush them. This is also Alberta's weakest team in quite a few years. I fully realize that in most years they are equivalent to a top NCAA D.I team.

As for the USA U18's, this is their best record against NCAA teams that I can ever recall.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for December 18, 2015

USA U-20 (WJC) 4 @ UMass 0

The preliminary roster for the US World Junior Team beat the UMass Minutemen handily by the score of 4-0. UMass was outshot 33-14. The Junior team goals were scored by Nick Schmaltz from the University of North Dakota, Sonny Milano of the Lake Erie Monsters (AHL) who had a pair, and Colin White from Boston College. The morning after the game, the Junior team cut 3 players to trim the roster to 24. Kieffer Bellows from the USNTDP (USHL), Casey Fitzgerald from Boston College and goaltender Tyler Parsons from the London Knights (OHL) were all let go.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for December 29, 2015

McGill (CIS) 1 @ #13 Yale 4

The #13 Yale Bulldogs took down the McGill Redmen tonight by the score of 4-1. The Redmen played a solid game considering who they were playing, but there really isn't much to talk about with this result. McGill continues their US road trip tomorrow as they travel up to Worcester to take on the Holy Cross Crusaders.

I expect McGill to beat Holy Cross - this is a matchup of a top CIS team vs. a very weak NCAA D.I team.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for December 30, 2015

McGill (CIS) 2 @ Holy Cross 5

The McGill Redmen go 0-2 on their holiday road-trip, losing to the Holy Cross Crusaders 5-2. Holy Cross went up 2-0 in the 1st period. McGill was able to draw to within one early in the 2nd, but it was pretty much all Holy Cross from then on. The Redmen struggled on the penalty-kill, with 3 of Holy Cross's 5 goals coming on the power-play. The Crusaders outshot McGill 27-23.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for January 1, 2016

Trinity Western (BCIHL) 0 @ Wisconsin 1

Trinity Western, which I believe is the only varsity program in the BCIHL, played the Wisco Badgers to a close one in Madison on New Year's Day. This one was way more one sided than the score would indicate. The Badgers outshot the Spartans 49-17. Despite that, the score was still tied at 0 going into the 3rd period. Wisco was finally able to break the deadlock just under three minutes into the 3rd. Granted, Wisconsin wasn't playing all their starters, but still, they should be a little nervous about their offense going forward. TWU on the other hand should be really happy with themselves for keeping things this close. Their goalie, third year Silas Matthys, should be especially happy with the game he had. Matthys played in the Swiss National League B last year and has junior experience with Rapperswil-Jona's U20 squad. Pretty decent for BCIHL player.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for January 2, 2016

USA U-18 (USHL) 3 @ #19 Minnesota-Duluth 4 in OT
    Trinity Western (BCIHL) 0 @ #6 Nebraska-Omaha 6

The #19 UMD Bulldogs capped off a dramatic 3rd period comeback with a game winning goal with 2:18 left in OT to beat the US U-18 team. Duluth massively outshot team USA, but was trailing 3-0 heading into the 3rd. Despite being outshot and blowing the lead, you have to be impressed with the way this U-18 squad continues to compete against NCAA competition this year. Out in Omaha, the #6 Mavericks took down the TWU Spartans (BCIHL) 6-0. UNO outshot the visitors 50-10. This time the Spartan's goaltending, which was still pretty good all things considered, wasn't enough to keep it close. Not surprising against this calibre of competition.

I'm shocked that Trinity Western kept either game under double digits. Well done by their goaltenders.

I'm surprised that McGill lost to Holy Cross, and by 3 goals at that.

NCAA D.I teams are now 35-8-3 this season vs. CIS teams.

Yale-McGill highlights: http://youtu.be/TAx3_2lUruE

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for January 3, 2016

USA U-18 (USHL) 7 @ #5 St. Cloud State 6 in OT

This might be the US U-18's most impressive win yet. The SCSU Huskies held a two goal lead at three separate points, but the USNTDP squad was always able to claw their way back. Team USA eventually scored the game winner :22 seconds into OT. As impressive as the final score is, equally impressive is the fact that shots were even at 35. The U-18s didn't just get lucky on a few shots, they skated with the #5 team in the country all night long.

Missed these from earlier in the week

January 3, 2015

URI (ACHA DI) 3 @ Daniel Webster (NCAA DIII) 1

January 4, 2015

URI (ACHA DI) 1 @ Daniel Webster (NCAA DIII 3

Not a whole lot to talk about here. Daniel Webster split an early-week series with the URI Rams of the ACHA. Daniel Webster will probably be a little disappointed that they couldn't take both games, but Rhode Island, despite being in the midst of a somewhat disappointing season, are a very good ACHA team. Daniel Webster is still in the process of transitioning fully to the NCAA. Latest word is that DWC will look to join the DIII New England Hockey Conference next year, joining the likes of Norwich, Babson and UMass-Boston, to replace the departing University of New England.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for January 9, 2016

Division I:

USA U-18 (USHL) 1 @ #1 North Dakota 4

Division III:

Daniel Webster 1 @ Lebanon Valley (ACHA DI) 4

The US U-18 team was unable to overcome the #1 team in the land, and for the second straight week Daniel Webster College fell to an ACHA team, this time on the road against Lebanon Valley College at the historic Hersheypark Arena. DWC will look to avoid the sweep against the LVC Dutchmen in a rematch tonight.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for January 10, 2016

Daniel Webster 5 @ Lebanon Valley (ACHA DI) 6

Daniel Webster trailed 5-1 at one point, but was able to storm back to get things to within one. It wasn't enough though, and DWC was taken down by the #12 team in the ACHA by the score of 6-5. Daniel Webster is definitely a bottom of the barrel DIII team this year, but still, Lebanon Valley has to be happy with the sweep as they get set to make the jump back to the NCAA next year.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for January 12, 2016

Post Univ. (?) 0 @ Morrisville State 14

Well, that was a rather comprehensive beat down. Morrisville State, a 4-10-1 NCAA DIII team, crushed the Post University Eagles by the score of 14-0. The Mustangs outshot the Eagles 68-6. As I've said in another thread that I started recently, I don't really know what Post University's situation is. According to the game recap on Morrisville State's website, Post is a first year NCAA program, but according to both USCHO.com and NCAA.com they're not, nor are they members of the ACHA. Based on their schedule and record up to this point, I figured Post was roughly equivalent to a lower-level ACHA DII school. After this result though, I don't even think they're that good.

The ACHA DII Selects squad went on a tour of Europe this year, which I believe they've been doing every year or so for a while now. This year, the best of the ACHA's second division went 3-2 against their European competition. They started with two games in Norway against professional teams from the Norwegian 1. Divisjon. They then moved on to the Czech Republic, where they took on two European University Hockey League Selects teams and a low-level Czech professional team from the South Bohemian Regional League (Czech 4th division). Here are the results:

ACHA DII Selects 3 @ Tønsberg Vikings (1. Divisjon) 5
    ACHA DII Selects 4 @ IK Comet Halden (1. Divisjon) 3 in OT
    ACHA DII Selects 5 @ EUHL Selects "Northern Europe" (EUHL) 3
    ACHA DII Selects 2 @ HC David Servis (Southern Bohemian League) 10
    ACHA DII Selects 3 @ EUHL Selects "Central Europe" (EUHL) 2

According to the story from the ACHA website, the first EUHL squad was made up primarily of players from "northern European schools" while the second was made up of "central European university players." I don't really know what they mean by this since there are only ten schools in the EUHL, and none of them are in northern Europe. All of them are in central Europe. I haven't had time to do any more research, so if anyone know's any more let me know. The only surprise for me was that the ACHA was shelled so badly by the Czech pro team after playing such close games against the Norwegians. Apparently HC David Servis is undefeated so far this year but still, is the Czech 4th tier really that much better than the Norwegian 2nd tier?

Heres the story from the ACHA and the ACHA roster:

[ Story / Roster ]

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for January 21, 2016

USA U-18 (USHL) 2 @ #6 Michigan 5

The US U-18 squad lost its second straight against the NCAA, which is quite a rarity this year. Still, they were playing the #6 team in the country, so it shouldn't really be a surprise either.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for January 22, 2016

Ohio (ACHA DI) 2 @ Arizona State 8

Ohio actually scored first in this one, but that lead wouldn't last long. Eight different Sun Devils scored, as ASU took down the #7 team in the ACHA by the score of 8-2. The Sun Devils and Bobcats will be back at it at Oceanside Ice Arena in Tempe tomorrow night.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for January 23, 2016

Ohio (ACHA DI) 1 @ Arizona State 6
    USA U-18 (USHL) 2 @ Michigan State 3 in OT
    Army 4 @ RMC (CIS) 3

Jordan Masters scored the first hat-trick in ASU history as the Sun Devils completed the weekend sweep of the Ohio Bobcats of the ACHA. ASU will look to use these wins as a confidence booster as they return to their NCAA schedule. It won't be getting any easier. The Sun Devils head across the country next week for three games in the Merrimack Valley; two against the top-ten UMass-Lowell River Hawks and then a Sunday game against a decent Merrimack squad. Michigan State needed overtime to beat a very good USNTDP squad, which has proven its more than up to the challenge when facing NCAA teams this season. And finally, Army skated away with a 4-3 victory at the K-Rock Centre in Kingston, ON in their annual rivalry game with with Royal Military College. RMC played really well, and hung with Army right up until the end.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for February 5, 2016

Wisconsin Eau-Claire (NCAA DIII) 3 @ Arizona State 3

As with ASU's games earlier in the season against Southern New Hampshire, this isn't technically and exhibition game, but I'll list it here anyway. Eau-Claire (NCAA DIII) played a great game against the transitional DI Arizona State Sun Devils, pulling out a 3-3 tie and then winning the post-game exhibition shootout. The game was very back and forth. Eau Claire would jump out to a one goal lead, and then ASU would respond. I expect more of the same tomorrow. I think this series will be a lot like the earlier ASU series against Alberta (CIS). I think this series is arguably the most interesting of the season, as it pits a bad DI school against a great DIII school, which isn't a matchup you get to see too often. I think it could give the best picture of the difference between the two NCAA divisions. The Blugolds and the Sun Devils will be back at it tomorrow night.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for February 6, 2016

Wisconsin Eau-Claire (NCAA DIII) 3 @ Arizona State 3

As predicted, it was another close one between ASU and UWEC again ending in a 3-3 tie. Tonight the Sun Devils managed to pullout the win in the post-game exhibition shootout which went 7 rounds. Unlike like last night, ASU actually held the lead during regulation at a couple of points. Overall though it wasn't enough to earn the win. The Eau Claire Blugolds should be really happy with themselves after the way they played this weekend. ASU hosts Liberty University, who are currently ranked #18 in ACHA DI, next weekend at Oceanside.

The Arizona State - Wisconsin Eau Claire series is the latest example illustrating that top NCAA D.3 teams can play evenly with bottom NCAA D.1 teams.

That Army-Royal Military College game was the closest between the two teams in many years.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for February 13, 2016

Division I:

Liberty (ACHA) 0 @ Arizona State 7

Division III:

Post Univ. (?) 1 @ Daniel Webster 7

In Tempe, AZ, the ASU Sun Devils dealt with Liberty University of the ACHA by the score of 7-0. There are rumors that there have been problems recently in the ASU locker room, so hopefully a win like this will give the team a boost. In Nashua, NH we saw a battle of two for-profit schools as DWC took down the Post University Eagles by the score of 7-1. Post is apparently an independent collegiate team. They're referred to as an ACHA team on the Daniel Webster athletic website, but they were referred to as an NCAA team early this year on Morrisville State's website and according to both the NCAA and ACHA websites they don't belong to either organization... so who knows?

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for February 19, 2016

Arizona State 6 @ Arizona (ACHA) 0

For the second straight week the Sun Devils managed a shut out against a pretty good ACHA team. This time it was on the road against arch-rival Arizona. ASU wraps up their inaugural season in the NCAA next week with a two game home stand against the US U-18 team, the second of which will be played at Gila River Arena in Glendale.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for February 27, 2016

USA U-18 (USHL) 2 @ Arizona State 2

Arizona State kicked off their weekend series against the USNTDP with a 2-2 tie. The U-18s won the exhibition shootout at the end of the game. I'm actually kind of surprised ASU was able to force OT. Based on the way both they and the USNTDP have been playing this year, I expected Team USA to sweep the Sun Devils this weekend. ASU and the U-18 squad will be back at it tomorrow, this time across town (or, more accurately, across the county) at Gila River Arena in Glendale. For some reason tonight's game didn't seem to be available online like the other ASU home games, but tomorrow's should be back to normal and will stream live on Pac-12 Network.

Apparently the ASU live stream is no longer free unless you already get Pac-12 Network through you're cable service provider. Sorry for the confusion.

NCAA Exhibition scoreboard for February 28, 2016

USA U-18 (USHL) 5 @ Arizona State 2

In the final NCAA exhibition game of the season, the USNTDP took down the ASU Sun Devils by the score of 5-2. This is more like the scoreline I was expecting. ASU certainly has their work cut out for them going forward as a program, but Penn State didn't do any better during their transitional year and now, just a few years later, they're ranked. As for the US U-18 squad, they should be really happy with themselves. They finish the season with a 10-5-2 record vs. the NCAA (7-5-2 vs. DI and 3-0-0 vs. DIII).

Arizona State will play another pair of games against Southern New Hampshire University (NCAA DII) this year in a rematch of last year's blowouts. The Sun Devils will also host a pair of games against Simon Fraser University (BCIHL) and the USA U-18 Team (USHL).

[ ASU 2016-17 Schedule ]

IHF Prospect
    Intresting

Semi-related, but the Friendship Four tournament in Belfast will continue for at least another two years: http://www.uscho.com/2016/11/30/frie...-in-2017-2018/

I'm going to resurrect this thread and will recap this year's NCAA D1 - CIS games soon.

In the interim, some interesting game scores to report:

Concordia (CIS) 4, Denmark national junior team 2
    This was a game the Danes used to prepare for the IIHF World Junior Championships.

Nichols College (NCAA D3) 3, Royal Military College of Canada (CIS) 1

Royal Military College of Canada (CIS) 7, Johnson & Wales College (NCAA D3) 3

Holy Cross (NCAA D1) 10, USA University Team (Universiade) 1

Holy Cross is a weak NCAA D1 team, but they absolutely destroyed the USA Universiade team that will be competing in Almaty, Kazakhstan next month. USA Hockey always sends a team of ACHA D1 selects to the Universiade, as opposed to NCAA D1 or NCAA D3 players.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Holy Cross (NCAA D1) 10, USA University Team (Universiade) 1

Holy Cross is a weak NCAA D1 team, but they absolutely destroyed the USA Universiade team that will be competing in Almaty, Kazakhstan next month. USA Hockey always sends a team of ACHA D1 selects to the Universiade, as opposed to NCAA D1 or NCAA D3 players.
    It seems the NCAA has little to no interest in this tournament which I find puzzling.
    Incidentally, the only time the US has ever medaled in this event was at the 1972 games at Lake Placid, when it won bronze.

The lineups for the 2017 and 2018 Friendship Four tournaments (in Belfast) have been announced: http://www.uscho.com/2017/01/06/team...r-tournaments/

Quote Originally Posted by Heatleysucks View Post
    It seems the NCAA has little to no interest in this tournament which I find puzzling.
    Incidentally, the only time the US has ever medaled in this event was at the 1972 games at Lake Placid, when it won bronze.
    That was a 3 team tournament!
    http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/1972_Winter_Universiade

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread Information