Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jannik Hansen's NHL career

Vancouver Jannik Hansen's NHL career

Frans Nielsen's already got one. Jannik Hansen certainly also deserve his own thread.

Frans Nielsen was the first (homegrown) Danish NHL'er, but Jannik Hansen also made a historic landmark as he was the first Dane to participate in the NHL playoffs (10 playoff games in 2006-07).

Jannik Hansen was one of Vancouver Canucks best prospects in the training camp. He had a decent chance to crack into the NHL from the very start of the season, but unfortunately he broke a finger. He was then assigned with Manitoba Moose in the AHL. Returning from his injury, he only played one (am I correct here?) game with Manitoba before being called up to the NHL.

Last night, Jannik played his 2nd game with Canucks this season (4-3 win at Colorado Avalanche).
    Jannik played on a line with Brendan Morrison (C) and Matt Cooke (LW), a line that seems to suit Jannik Hansen very well (it was already quite successful in the preseason). Jannik logged a little more than 12 min including 3:46 on the powerplay. He got most of the icetime in the 1st period.
    Jannik played pretty solid, but didn't manage to enter the scoreboard. He had one shot and pulled one penalty (against Scott Hannan).

Jannik Hansen was quite pleased with his play: "I felt I was more into the game this time. In the playoffs I also played on a line with Morrison, and this made it a little easier".

Jazz, if you read this, I would like to hear your opinion. What's the outlook for Jannik Hansen this season?

Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    Returning from his injury, he only played one (am I correct here?) game with Manitoba before being called up to the NHL.
    Yes you are. Raymond was sent down as Hansen came up, and from what i've heard he had played very badly. My guess is that this was a planned move. Vancouver was just waiting for Hansen to get fit so they could sent down Raymond.

Yes, Hansen was expected from the get-go to make the big team. Team management did not explicitly say this, but it was implied. Even most members of the media were expecting him to start the season in Vancouver. His main problem is his relative lack of scoring touch, as one media member put it "He has NHL-game, just not NHL-hands". He had an impressive Prospect's camp, and continued to play well once the main camp got underway.

The coaching staff were (and still are) looking for a line mate for the Sedin twins and it was supposed to be between Hansen, rookie Mason Raymond, and Ryan Shannon (who spend the 06/07 season with the Anaheim Ducks), with the each getting 1 preseason game with the twins to see who showed the most chemistry with them. Hansen was supposed to have his try-out with the twins but broke a bone in his hand in the game before this, thus he lost his immediate chance.

The team come out of the blocks with some scoring issues, and the Sedins twins themselves were not given as much space in the slot and in front of the net as they were last year. Their linemate was rotated throughout the lineup (including Raymond and Shannon), but the problem with them were that they both are on the small side. The plan for Hansen was to get a few AHL games in before getting his chance again, but with the team's continued bad play (scoring woes, and general bad defensive coverage), he was rushed back up after only playing 1 game with the Manitoba Moose.

I did not see either of his first 2 NHL games this season, but his ice time was very limited in his first game (0-3 loss to Nashville), and did not play much in the latter half of that game (and he did start that game with the twins). The team played a better overall game Saturday night vs Colorado and he did play more minutes. There was one sequence when Hansen and a Colorado defensemen (I think it was Hannan) were chasing down a puck in the Avalanche end and both did their best not to give up on their position during the chase, knocking eachother down and such. It was an impressive showing vs a seasoned veteran.

We'll see how he fares, but with the 2 long-term injuries to Salo and Bieksa, the team will have to bare down even more defensively, so that might take some pressure off him from a scoring perspective while he re-adjusts since this time is now effectively his training camp again.

On a slight aside, given the thread on the AHL/CHL vs European leagues, Hansen has repeatedly stated that his game is better suited to the smaller North American sized ice, and that his time in the WHL has helped him reach where he is today.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Thanks Jazz for that update and assessment. It's really appreciated.

As for Jannik Hansen game being better suited for the smaller rinks, you are certainly right. He has said this many times. His story does however not have much significance for the thread mentioned. As I explain in post 59 and 60, Jannik Hansen is indeed a rare species in this context. He is one of the few European CHL'ers who has at all made it to the NHL. But hats off for that!

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ead.php?t=5875

IHF Prospect
    It is probably too early to say this but I'd be suprised if Hansen doesn't stay in the NHL.
    We don't have any other forward prospects that are as good defensively and I think Nonis wants to work at least one young forward into our lineup this season.

One media member put it "He has NHL-game, just not NHL-hands". He had an impressive Prospect's camp, and continued to play well once the main camp got underway.
    His hands and puck control don't appear to be any worse than Kesler's, and Kesler been one of our best forwards offensively throughout the season. The bigger issue with Hansen right now is his strength and balance, which are probably good enough for the NHL but he'll definatly need to improve both in order to maximize his potential.
    Also, he appears to play hunched over with a short stick which might expose him to getting hit badly if he doesn't keep his head up.

For example (about his strength/balance), in the game against Colorado he was skating quickly down the right wing as a Colorado defensemen was chasing the puck. Hansen caught up to the defensemen and he might have been able to skate past (with the puck) to the net but he was muscled off the puck before he could get away.

I'll try to come back here with an update on how he plays Thursday against Calgary.

Quote Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
    It is probably too early to say this but I'd be suprised if Hansen doesn't stay in the NHL.
    We don't have any other forward prospects that are as good defensively and I think Nonis wants to work at least one young forward into our lineup this season.

His hands and puck control don't appear to be any worse than Kesler's, and Kesler been one of our best forwards offensively throughout the season. The bigger issue with Hansen right now is his strength and balance, which are probably good enough for the NHL but he'll definatly need to improve both in order to maximize his potential.
    Also, he appears to play hunched over with a short stick which might expose him to getting hit badly if he doesn't keep his head up.

For example (about his strength/balance), in the game against Colorado he was skating quickly down the right wing as a Colorado defensemen was chasing the puck. Hansen caught up to the defensemen and he might have been able to skate past (with the puck) to the net but he was muscled off the puck before he could get away.

I'll try to come back here with an update on how he plays Thursday against Calgary.
    Hey Tb0ne, welcome aboard!

Thanks for your input.

IHF Prospect
    Update after the Calgary game,

Hansen continues to impress with his speed, agility, and overall effort level in both zones. While he does seem to have trouble with some stronger players when he's along the boards he manages to use a mixture of anticipation and skating to be elusive.
    He hustles back on defense, and in the attacking zone he seems to have a knack for being in the right place help keep offensive pressure.
    It's harder to get a read on what his offensive upside is but I think it's just a matter of time until he starts racking up points.

Here are some comments from other Canucks fans:
    http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=440097&page=10

Hansen - Great in the first half of the game but then, for some strange reason, has his ice time cut. He's a great fore-checker and very elusive down-low...I've always been hopeful about him but over these last two games I've been very impressed. Has the potential to be a very good player for a very long time.
    Seeing Hansen be so effective along the boards makes me want to try him with Daniel + Henrik.
    And Hansen is just a very pleasant surprise as well. Fast and smart forechecker, with budding offensive instincts that you KNOW are there by the way he positions himself for shots and rebounds, as well as his vision/heads-up play. And his board-work is just ridiculous - fast, tough, shifty, and tenacious.
    As long as he keeps this effort and performance level on a consistant basis, he might just be a Canuck for the rest of the season. He's come a long way from a player taken near the end of the draft. I still remember reading the draft report on Canucks.com that said he might end up being one of the best players we took in that draft, who knew how correct they would end up being.

P.S. I'll try to update after tonight's game if my observations arn't too clouded by Friday night..

Thanks a lot for the hands-on update tb0ne!

You can access a 9 minute Jannik Hansen interview by clicking this link: http://www.team1040.ca/podcast/blake..._Nov_12th~.mp3

The interview starts at 14:52.

This file will be available for about 21 hours from the time of this posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    You can access a 9 minute Jannik Hansen interview by clicking this link: http://www.team1040.ca/podcast/blake..._Nov_12th~.mp3

The interview starts at 14:52.

This file will be available for about 21 hours from the time of this posting.
    Awesome, thanks a lot! I like Hansen's answer when the interviewer asks him "You were drafted in the 9th round - are you a late bloomer?"

Hansen replies "No, I think I'm from Denmark"

Looks like Jannik Hansen's days in the NHL are numbered:

From Vancouver Sun:

"
    Burrows, one of the more consistent Canucks this season, is being moved off the fourth line and will skate tonight alongside Brendan Morrison and Matt Cooke. Cowan, who missed 11 games with a hip injury and then sat out Wednesday night as a healthy scratch, is expected to skate tonight on the fourth line with Byron Ritchie and Trevor Linden.
    That likely leaves Hansen sitting in the press box, or with his parents, who are in town to watch him play.
    While stressing that the organization views the 21-year-old Danish winger as a top prospect, Vigneault noted Thursday that Hansen has not yet been able to produce at the NHL level. In the five games he has played since being called up from Manitoba, Hansen has no points and just three shots on goal.
    "For me, he has great puck-protection skills and he can scoot in there, dash in and out, but all the work he has done hasn't produced any results offensively, whether it be last year when we threw him in there in a pretty tough situation in the playoffs and so far this year," Vigneault said. "But we see a lot there."
    Hansen acknowledged his lack of finish has him frustrated.
    "It doesn't seem to want to go in right now," he said. "The chances are there and it's just a matter of trying to bear down on them. Sooner or later they have to go and of course it's a little bit frustrating."

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...f-cca4009f1df2

Jannik Hansen has now been sent down to Manitoba Moose. This time he only got 5 games in the NHL, but who knows how long it will be before he's up again.

Hansen has missed the last number of games (in the AHL) after suffering a concussion. He is starting to ride the bike again and yesterday was able to ride without feeling any post-concussion effects. He is probably at least 5 days away from seeing game action again.

Vancouver

With an injury to Matt Pettinger, Jannik Hansen may play tonight vs Edmonton.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilden60 View Post
    Excellent night for danes in the NHL preseason,

Frans Nielsen had 2 goals and 2 assists and was named best player of the game for the Islanders, in their 4-2 win over Florida Panthers.

Jannik Hansen had 1 goal and 1 assist, with 5 shots on goal and a decent 13:13 icetime, in Vancouvers 3-2 win over San Jose Sharks.
    Hansen's goal was no less than the game-winner. I should however qualify that he scored the 3-0 goal before the Sharks scored 2 to make it close.

Vancouver

Jannik Hansen scored 2 more goals (both vs Mikka Kipursoff) today in a 6-1 win vs Calgary and was +3. He has virtually secured his position on the starting lineup when the season starts next week.

Expect him to play on the 3rd line with Ryan Kesler and Alex Burrows in what is supposed to be an energy/checking line

I thought you all would be interested in this:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/c...6-75c7ccc2b1b6 "This Danish is good to go"

Jannik Hansen recorded his first point this season in tonights game. He assisted Vancouvers 3rd goal.

The other day Hansen was involved in a fight. A Flames player punched Luongo which made Hansen react. Here's a video

And now Jannik has his first NHL goal.

Off a wide shot, the puck bounced out in front of the net on the other side and Hansen had a gaping net to shoot at.

nuts... I posted about the goal, but in the wrong thread (no tabs on my parents' computer, and i was eating dinner at the time)

Hehe congrats Hansen. Nielsen also had succes with 2 points. Things are starting to look good.

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...714#post130714

Hansen scored 2 goals in Canucks 6-3 win against the Oilers. Jannik now has 4 points(3+1) in 8 games.

31 Oct 2008, Vancouver Canucks @ Anaheim Ducks 7-6

While Jannik Hansen doesn't get any special team ice time, he still plays with the Canucks' most productive line (with Kesler and Burrows). Tonight he got his second multipoint game with 2 assists, and now leads the Danes with 7 points (3+4) in 11 games.
    Last edited by Karsten; 02-11-2008 at 15:06.

IHF Prospect
    Jannik missed last nights game with a groin injury, and he is listed as day-to-day. Hopefully he is able to return to the ice VERY quickly, and build on his impressing start to the season...

Quote Originally Posted by McBain View Post
    Jannik missed last nights game with a groin injury, and he is listed as day-to-day. Hopefully he is able to return to the ice VERY quickly, and build on his impressing start to the season...
    And hopefully in time to make the game against the Coyotes which would be the first time in history that Danes face each other in the NHL.

Jannik Hansen is close to return from his groin injury. Meanwhile here's an interesting video analysis of Jannik as a player:

http://canucks.nhl.tv/team/console.j...4776&catid=804

Hansen might get caught in a numbers game.

With both Hansen and Pavol Demitra expecting to be fit to play within the week, the Canucks will have a surplus of active forwards, and some will have to be sent down to the AHL's Moose. However, most of the other candidates will have to clear waivers if they go down (and eventually back up), in which case the team will risk losing an asset for nothing. Hansen is one if the few who does not have to clear waiver and thus might end up back in Manitoba.....

That's the name of the game, but it would be totally unfair..

Jannik Hansen looks set to return tomorrow vs Colorado

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/n...a-7b1b5f35bc25

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    That's the name of the game, but it would be totally unfair..
    Well, all appears good (for Hansen at least). He practiced on his usual linemates (Kesler and Burrows) on Tuesday.

Jannik Hansen drew the shortest straw, and has been sent down to Manitoba following the arrival of Mats Sundin in Vancouver.

I guess mainly because he doesn't have to clear waivers. But it has also been a long time since we saw some goals.

The good news is that Frans Nielsen is soon back.

And after 2 games in Manitoba, Hansen is being called up again by Vancouver.

I think this was simply a wake-up call.

Hansen answered with Vancouvers first goal in the loss to the Blues.

According to hockeymagasinet.dk, the Toronto Maple Leafs might try to grab Jannik Hansen who will become a restricted free agent July 1st.

http://www.hockeymagasinet.dk/news/item.asp?id=17335

And another source :
    http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Se...519/story.html

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElQuapo View Post
    According to hockeymagasinet.dk, the Toronto Maple Leafs might try to grab Jannik Hansen who will become a restricted free agent July 1st.

http://www.hockeymagasinet.dk/news/item.asp?id=17335

And another source :
    http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Se...519/story.html
    Interesting story. VAN probaly won't "overpay" for Hansen if he receives a offer sheet from Toronto, since resigning the Sedins will cost a lot of money and cap space. Besides claiming a spot in the top six or even top nine next year for VAN won't be easy for Hansen.
    If VAN was to receive a thrid round draft choice for Hansen in compensation, you have think that they will let him walk.

IHF Member
    Jannik Hansen has re-signed with Vancouver, a one year two-way contract.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=286839
    http://www.dr.dk/Sporten/Ishockey/2009/08/05/185734.htm

I don't know about you guys, but I just saw Hansen fight with Gilbert Brule and I'm impressed. If he can fight along with have solid play, he's going to make it big in the NHL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEB0D-sR6hk&feature=sub
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

IHF Member
    he broke his hand in that fight. and will be out a few weeks.

IHF Prospect
    swwweeeeeeettttttt

Quote Originally Posted by jockstrap View Post
    swwweeeeeeettttttt
    I'm not sure I understand why someone would be happy that a player is injured.?

I don't get why Hansen is constantly taking the fighting role - he is good enough to be an NHL-player and should not turn himself into a role-player/enforcer.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ElQuapo View Post
    I don't get why Hansen is constantly taking the fighting role - he is good enough to be an NHL-player and should not turn himself into a role-player/enforcer.
    "We'd had a long shift and I thought the guys could use a breather," Hansen said of his reasons for fighting, deferring further questions about his injury to the Canucks' staff. His hand was heavily bandaged by the time he left the dressing room."

http://www.faceoff.com/hockey/teams/...tml?id=2041167

IHF Member
    Jannik Hansen scored his first goal of season and also added an assist in Vancouver's 8-2 win over Colorado.

http://tv2sport.dk/node/43952
    Last edited by Marras; 15-11-2009 at 23:32.

IHF Member
    Hansen is the leading danish NHL-player. He is on the brink to be a top six forward in Vancouver. He have five points(3-2) in only nine games and are one of the best players on ice for Vancouver for the moment. I think he can make around 40 point this year if he stay healthy. He is on fire.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hansen is the leading danish NHL-player. He is on the brink to be a top six forward in Vancouver. He have five points(3-2) in only nine games and are one of the best players on ice for Vancouver for the moment. I think he can make around 40 point this year if he stay healthy. He is on fire.
    Make it 6(4-2).
    http://tv2sport.dk/node/45352

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I don't think i'd call him the leading Danish NHL player, Frans Nielsen still has 4 points more than Hansen, and should IMO finish with more points than Hansen :). But he has played fewer matches, and was playing great tonight. I think it might be the first time ever that he plays almost 18 minutes in the NHL?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I don't think i'd call him the leading Danish NHL player, Frans Nielsen still has 4 points more than Hansen, and should IMO finish with more points than Hansen :). But he has played fewer matches, and was playing great tonight. I think it might be the first time ever that he plays almost 18 minutes in the NHL?
    Nielsen 22 3 -7 10

Hansen 10 4- 2 6

I think Hansen will be the number one dane this year. He have 0.6 ppg. Nielsen have 0.45 ppg. And I think Hansen will stay in Vancouver for the rest of season. NYI have 56 games left so if Nielsen can hold on he will be at 35 points. VC have 55 games left and if Hansen hold on he will be at 39 point in the end of the season. It will be close but I think Hansen will take it.

IHF Member
    People generally look into stats too much. More points doesn't necessarily make you a better player.

Quote Originally Posted by Sovand View Post
    People generally look into stats too much. More points doesn't necessarily make you a better player.
    Also this. Nielsen is a much more important player for the Islanders than Hansen is for the Canucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information