Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spengler Cup 2007

Congrats to the undefeated champions Team Canada! Well done. And Cujo deservedly got the Best Player award.

The Ufa goalie played well, but just got some bad breaks. The first goal should have been whistled dead by the ref, but wasn't, and a Canadian hacked it in. And the second goal was just a freak bounce. It's not really nice to see the game won in that way, but then, that's hockey ;-)

Congrats co Canada!

I hope Salavat will play better in RSL. Our PP is awful, disciplined Canadian team ruined every attempt to enter its zone :((
    Salavat - green rockets!

Congratulations to team Canada. I must say that'm a little surprised. I expected Ufa to win this one.

I was really hopng for a final Ufa goal to make up for the really weird bad bounce goal to make it 2-1 and set up an overtime or shootout. Oh well. Apart from the bad goals I think Canada's forecheck really took Salavat by surprise. They had trouble setting up and then once they did gain the CAN zone, had to deal with Joseph and he's tough to beat low and they couldn't get it upstairs enough where I think his 40 year old body was not as quick as it used to be. I remember when he once stopped 80 shots in one game in the ECHL (??) just before getting signed by Edmonton. He's still the kind of goalie who thrives on lots of shots and if you can't beat him early then he only gets tougher. As for Salavat, I thought Perezhogin down low and Teredovsky in the slot were strong and their passing was top notch. The goalie wasn't as bad as some people are making it out to be - he made a great save just after the 2nd goal.

One thing that I find interesting though - since a lot of the Canadians on the team play in European leagues you'd think the transition back to a North American style game (forecheck, dump and chase, strong D, shot blocking) would take time but they bonded pretty quickly and fell into that CDN style in no time. I think this is one reason the Finns in the past have given the CDNs so much trouble - they've taken the gritty NA style and combined it with a more free flowing and tight passing European style which counters the CDN and USA teams so well. The first game Salavat had some of that happening and it seemed to work better against CAN but couldn't sustain it for the final.

Overall, a fun tournament to watch and the fans were the best I've seen. Big congratulations to them!

Congrats to Canada :((((((((

Very interesting article from Canada's TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/ne...26188&hubname=

It gives the Canadian perspective on the relative strength of its Spengler Cup team as compared to a team of NHL players, and includes Curtis Joseph talking about how much he loves Davos and the Spengler Cup tournament, and that this will be one of his fondest memories.

Interestingly, it also has a quote from Canada's coach saying that he was 'offended' at the treatment that the Swiss crowd gave to the Canadian team - apparently almost the entire crowd was rooting for Ufa to win. The Canadian coach said that given the large number of Canadians who consistently play in the Swiss league, and the help Canadians have given to Swiss hockey for decades now, he feels that Canada's team should have been shown some appreciation and respect. He called the crowd partisanship for Ufa 'disappointing.'

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post

It gives the Canadian perspective on the relative strength of its Spengler Cup team as compared to a team of NHL players, and includes Curtis Joseph talking about how much he loves Davos and the Spengler Cup tournament, and that this will be one of his fondest memories.

Interestingly, it also has a quote from Canada's coach saying that he was 'offended' at the treatment that the Swiss crowd gave to the Canadian team - apparently almost the entire crowd was rooting for Ufa to win. The Canadian coach said that given the large number of Canadians who consistently play in the Swiss league, and the help Canadians have given to Swiss hockey for decades now, he feels that Canada's team should have been shown some appreciation and respect. He called the crowd partisanship for Ufa 'disappointing.'

Ah that's kind of a lame argument to make against the crowd. Doesn't mean Switzerland has to be neutral even in hockey... But seriously, maybe it's because Simpson's the rival coach to Davos in the Swiss league that he perceives it this way. I thought the fans were pretty good from what I saw watching each game online. I think he might have been better off just shutting his mouth after winning the trophy.

When a team/country wins a lot then people like to see them lose - it's to be expected. And those winning teams take on an elitist attitude because they win and then wonder why people want to see them lose.

TEAM CANADA – Salavat Yulaev Ufa 2-1 (0-0 2-1 0-0)
    Vaillant Arena : 7'146 fans
    Heads : Jari Levonen, Marcus Vinnerborg
    Team Canada : Curtis Joseph, Sébastien Caron ; Yannick Tremblay, Mark Giordano, Shawn Heins, Curtis Murphy, Danny Syvret, André Benoit, Mike Siklenka, Rick Jackman ; Simon Gamache, Serge Aubin, Kirby Law, Dale McTavish, Travis Green, Jean-Pierre Vigier, Domenico Pittis, Cory Pecker, Marc Chouinard, Yves Sarault, Marty Murray, Ryan Keller.
    Ufa : Alexander Eeremenko, Vadim Tarasov ; Kirill Koltsov, Radek Philipp, Miroslav Blatak, Oleg Tverdovsky, Vitaly Proshkin, Andreï Kuteykin, Aleksandr Boïkov, Mihaïl Chernov ; Stanislav Chistov, Alexeï Tereschenko, Aleksandr Perezhogin, Konstantin Koltsov, Vladimir Antipov, Michak Mikeska, Andreï Sidyakin, Ruslan Nurtdinov, Andreï Taratukhin, Alexeï Shkotov, Igor Volkov, Alexeï Medvedev.
    Goals :
    27’ Kirby Law (Simon Gamache) 1-0
    30’ Aleksandr Perezhogin (PP) 1-1
    31’ Ryan Keller (Yves Sarault) 2-1
    PIM : Team Canada 10x 2’ / Ufa 9x 2’

Stats

Most points
    1. Aleksandr Perezhogin (Salavat), 3 goals, 3 assists, 6 points
    2. Yves Sarault (T. Canada), 1 goal, 4 assists, 5 points
    3. Alexandre Daigle (Davos), 1 goal, 4 assists, 5 points
    4. Kirill Koltsov (Salavat), 1 goal, 4 assists, 5 points
    5. Josef Marha (Davos), 3 goals, 1 assist, 4 points

PIM
    1. Matthias Joggi (Pardubice), 37 minutes
    2. Janne Niinimaa (Davos), 33 minutes
    3. Jiri Cetkovsky (Pardubice), 33 minutes
    4. Marcus Kink (Mannheim), 29 minutes
    5. Jan Snopek (Pardubice), 22 minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Bykov-Khomutov View Post
    TEAM CANADA – Salavat Yulaev Ufa 2-1 (0-0 2-1 0-0)
    PIM
    1. Matthias Joggi (Pardubice), 37 minutes
    2. Janne Niinimaa (Davos), 33 minutes
    3. Jiri Cetkovsky (Pardubice), 33 minutes
    4. Marcus Kink (Mannheim), 29 minutes
    5. Jan Snopek (Pardubice), 22 minutes
    Wow - the PIM stats are interesting in that no CDNs are on the top 5 list.

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by estogoalie View Post
    That Ufa-Davos game was nuts. Really unpredictable game. And bad goaltending on both teams. Especially Switzerland. Which is strange, because goaltending is usually the strong point of Swiss hockey. Anyway, I had a feeling Davos wouldn't end the tournament without a win. Good on 'em.
    It's Genoni's and Berra's first full NLA season, so I think they didn't that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    Hmmm, mention any of these in Canada and you'd just get blank looks in return. Mind you, they are European so it's probably understandable that a North American wouldn't know much about it. I mention Spengler Cup or Champions League in my house here in Germany and I still get blank looks from the extended family... ah well.

Still, an 81 year old tournament in the Spengler Cup is pretty exciting, history wise. Any odds of seeing Swedish, Finnish, Danish, or Norwegian teams at Spengler in the future?
    Quoted from news.ch
    Für den 82. Spengler Cup will Pargätzi wieder eine skandinavische Mannschaft anstelle eines tschechischen Vertreters einladen.

a rough translation

For the 82nd Spengler Cup Pargätzi will again invite a Scandinavian team instead of a Czech team.

Well, Simpson should know Swiss Hockey fans after his long stay here a bit better.. First of all, there is no "Swiss Crowd": There are only fans of Davos, Kloten, Lugano, Ambri, etc. And as soon as players from other NLA teams are on the ice (which can include even the National team, if no players of their own favorite teams are in), then this team is a rival which is either not supported or, if it plays unfair or bad hockey, even opposed.

So for Davos Fans, a Team Canada packed with players from rivals like Bern, Lugano, Zug, Kloten, Geneva, etc. is their opponent no. 1 at the Cup. This also because many fans of those clubs are going to Davos to support their players of Team Canada and, of course, oppose Davos whenever they can. Or in other words: When Davos is playing other teams, Team Canada fans support also fans of these teams. And the same goes for Davos fans when Team Canada is playing. And as Ufa has given Davos fans exactly what they wanted, i.e. spectacular hockey, they supported them even more so.

And then Team Canada had the problem with the first goal, which many Davos fans obviously rated as unfair and thus not only supported Ufa, but also started to oppose Canada = whistling. Unfortunately, this goal was also crucial in the end, so some Davos fans rated the Canadian victory and thus also the win of the tournament as unfair. Therefore also the whistling at the victory ceremony. But it was not exactly against Canada as hockey country, but against the way the tournament was won and against the referee. Of course the tournament win was nevertheless well deserved, which even die hard Davos/Ufa fans should have acknowledged, but then the frustration that their now favorite team missed it so unluckily and the fact that the avg. age of these fans is around 16-17 yrs old, can somehow exuse this.

And on the other side, almost as many (Swiss) Team Canada fans were celebrating not only the victory, but also the last place of Davos...

I'm just glad to see Canada win this, I was there last year when Pogge gave the puck away behind his own net leading to the game winner against us, and it was heartbreaking. It's nice to get some redemption.

I think what Simpson was upset about is that in each of his previous years with the team, Canada has typically picked up support from fans who are at the matches without a preference for either team, and this year it happened that that support fell to Ufa. It happens, next year, the support may be back for Canada, we'll see.

As for the 'unfair' goal. We all know that in hockey you play to the whistle, and that's what we did, if the referee deemed he could see the puck, then the play remains alive. A common phrase I hear when a garbage goal is scored is "we'll take it" and I know that Ufa would have taken the goal as well if the shoe was on the other foot. All in all, good tournament, as usual, I look forward to next year.

Nice tournament indeed and not a bad Final in the end. Team Canada deserves the Cup and not only on the basis of one game. Undefeated, even more -100% victorious through the tournament, while Ufa lost 3 games...
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    Well, Simpson should know Swiss Hockey fans after his long stay here a bit better.. First of all, there is no "Swiss Crowd": There are only fans of Davos, Kloten, Lugano, Ambri, etc. And as soon as players from other NLA teams are on the ice (which can include even the National team, if no players of their own favorite teams are in), then this team is a rival which is either not supported or, if it plays unfair or bad hockey, even opposed.

So for Davos Fans, a Team Canada packed with players from rivals like Bern, Lugano, Zug, Kloten, Geneva, etc. is their opponent no. 1 at the Cup. This also because many fans of those clubs are going to Davos to support their players of Team Canada and, of course, oppose Davos whenever they can. Or in other words: When Davos is playing other teams, Team Canada fans support also fans of these teams. And the same goes for Davos fans when Team Canada is playing. And as Ufa has given Davos fans exactly what they wanted, i.e. spectacular hockey, they supported them even more so.

And then Team Canada had the problem with the first goal, which many Davos fans obviously rated as unfair and thus not only supported Ufa, but also started to oppose Canada = whistling. Unfortunately, this goal was also crucial in the end, so some Davos fans rated the Canadian victory and thus also the win of the tournament as unfair. Therefore also the whistling at the victory ceremony. But it was not exactly against Canada as hockey country, but against the way the tournament was won and against the referee. Of course the tournament win was nevertheless well deserved, which even die hard Davos/Ufa fans should have acknowledged, but then the frustration that their now favorite team missed it so unluckily and the fact that the avg. age of these fans is around 16-17 yrs old, can somehow exuse this.

And on the other side, almost as many (Swiss) Team Canada fans were celebrating not only the victory, but also the last place of Davos...

Excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    As for the 'unfair' goal. We all know that in hockey you play to the whistle, and that's what we did, if the referee deemed he could see the puck, then the play remains alive. A common phrase I hear when a garbage goal is scored is "we'll take it" and I know that Ufa would have taken the goal as well if the shoe was on the other foot. All in all, good tournament, as usual, I look forward to next year.
    I had this really strange thought at the time: I was thinking how great it would have been, if after the go ahead lucky bounce goal, the CDN players took a time out (got agreement from the refs who woudln't lose face on that call) and then set up for the face off in the Ufa end as if the goal didn't count - then let the 1-1 score stand and the rest of the game play out as it should.

Anyways, it's true that we all play to the whistle but I kinda like the idea of some sportsmanship every once in while. This kind of tournament would be the place to let it happen if anywhere. After that I was hoping for a Ufa tie in the game so we could get on with a real winning goal.

[QUOTE=leftofcenter;100307]I had this really strange thought at the time: I was thinking how great it would have been, if after the go ahead lucky bounce goal, the CDN players took a time out (got agreement from the refs who woudln't lose face on that call) and then set up for the face off in the Ufa end as if the goal didn't count - then let the 1-1 score stand and the rest of the game play out as it should.

QUOTE]

That is one of the most ridiculous things i've ever read!

Where would it stop? If the puck deflects off of somebody and goes into the net, that would be deemed lucky as well?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Marc: isn't "CSKA" the cyrillic acronym for "Soviet Central Red Army"?
    That's what I'd been told in the past, and it was after all the army sport club.

For that matter, Krylia Sovetov does indeed translate directly to "Soviet Wings"... that much I remember reading on this very board.
    yes CSKA is literally "Central Sports Club of Army" there is no word "red" however
    Krylia Sovetov literally translates to "Wings of Soviet"

IHF Member

I do not believe there is anything to be offended and Swiss crowd certainly do not be in debt to Canada anything. crowd is neutral once their team is out and they support whoever plays most pleasing hockey in their opinion. this obviously change year to year, maybe this year Ufa, maybe next year Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by samara15 View Post
    yes CSKA is literally "Central Sports Club of Army" there is no word "red" however
    Krylia Sovetov literally translates to "Wings of Soviet"
    ah... my bad then, I'd been under the impression that the "K" was for "krasny", and sort of filled the rest in.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    I better to don't talk :-D

Well, just finished to see the final match. Too bad Ufa (and not UFA...it's a city, not the abbreviation of Unrestricted Free Agent) lost though. Canada has played very solid on defense and they won deservedly.
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

IHF Member
    In today's Saskatoon Star-Phoenix there was an interview with Team Canada's Ryan Keller. It may belong better in the Finnish forum, but it fits with this thread.

Spengler hero Keller has weak Finnish
    Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
    Published: Friday, January 04, 2008

As a regular feature, StarPhoenix sports reporter Cory Wolfe gets personal with a sports figure. Today, Spengler Cup hero Ryan Keller gets cornered. The former Saskatoon Blade scored the game-winner in the final against Russian club team Salavat Yulaev Ufa.

The SP: Congratulations on netting the winning goal at the Spengler Cup. Where does that goal rank among your career highlights?

Keller: Well, it depends if you're talking about the significance of it or how it looked. (Laughs) For significance, it's the highest by leaps and bounds, but if you're talking about how pretty it was, it might be on the bottom end. It was awful. . . . The puck went off the D-man's stick and then started rolling and bouncing everywhere. It hit the back boards, then came out and hit the goalie's calf as he was trying to get back to the post. It maybe crossed the line by two inches. The guys on the team were saying, "What an ugly goal. Too bad it was televised. You can't tell everyone back home how nice it was."

The SP: (Laughs) Exactly. Well, Kirby Law also scored for Canada in the Spengler final. Did you remind him that you were a 10-year-old kid in the stands when he played with the Saskatoon Blades in the mid-'90s?

Keller: I didn't want to rub it in too much. (Former Brandon Wheat King) Marty Murray was my centreman, so we talked a little about the Western Hockey League. He was dating himself and laughing. But it was neat to play with guys like that. Then there's Travis Green, who's 38 or something. I've learned after a couple years of pro not to throw out dates and stuff, especially around older guys.

The SP: Speaking of older guys, how did you fare in practice showdowns against Canadian goaltender Curtis Joseph?

Keller: I actually did pretty good. That was one of the highlights and that gave me a little extra confidence going into the week. But the first shot I took, I think he was trying to show me where he's been because I tried to go high glove and I don't think he blinked. He just grabbed it and made it look pretty easy.

The SP: You were toiling in Finland with the Espoo Blues when you got the call from Team Canada. How were you received when you returned to your club team?

Keller: I was pretty lucky. Two other players from the Finnish league were on our Spengler team -- Andre Benoit and Mike Siklenka, who's from Meadow Lake. Their (club) teams weren't too excited about them leaving and I guess there were some nasty articles written about Benoit in his town (Tampere). But the support from my team was unbelievable. Everyone was excited and happy to get some exposure.

The SP: We know you've got finish, but how's your Finnish?

Keller: Awful. It has to be the hardest language in the world to learn. I know about four words and that's it. The same word can mean two different things if you put another word in front of it. The nice thing about being close to Helsinki is that everyone speaks some English.

The SP: Describe something about Finland that seems odd to a kid from westside Saskatoon.

Keller: In Canada, when you pass someone you'll give a nod. Or you'll hold the door for people. There's none of that here. It's not that they're rude; they're shy or something. They have a saying: "A normal Finn will stare at his feet; an outgoing Finn will stare at your feet."

The SP: (Laughs) Very funny. Have you had any run-ins with Finnish hockey royalty?

Keller: We live in what they say is the second-richest part of Finland. The ocean is right around the corner and Jari Kurri has a big waterfront home. We had our Christmas party last week at one of the fancier bars here. Kurri was at the table next to us. It was the Finnish national team's Christmas party. We drank with him for a bit and made small talk about hockey, Edmonton and Canadian winters. . . . . Another funny thing was, we went to see Bryan Adams in concert in Espoo. The first time I see Bryan Adams, a Canadian guy, and it's in Finland. We were at the rink on the day of the concert -- just taping sticks and stuff. The guys in his crew were talking, unaware that I could understand what they were saying because they thought I was Finnish. They were saying that hockey sticks made them feel like home, so I piped up and asked where home was. Sure enough, it was Saskatoon. They were nice enough to give me and my girlfriend tickets and we did the backstage thing.

The SP: You love your country music. Are you in withdrawal?

Keller: Thank God for the Internet and being able to burn CDs because you'd never find a country music station here.

The SP: Has living in Finland increased your appreciation of saunas?

Keller: It has. They have sauna parties here, so the team gets together and has some beer. You go in and out of the sauna and watch a big-screen TV. It's amazing how you go to the grocery stores here and they have all of the sauna utensils in the main aisles.

The SP: What would the fashion police say about Espoo's ad-plastered jerseys?

Keller: And the pants, too! You can't even see what colour the pants are. But the worst thing I've seen involves ads on the helmets. Espoo has Blade colours, blue and yellow, but we're sponsored by Arctic Cat so they make our goalies wear turquoise helmets. It has no connection to our jerseys and it looks awful.

The SP: (Laughs) Last question. You ended 2007 on such a high, what will you do for an encore in 2008?

Keller: Hopefully the same thing. It's hard to say where you'll be a year from now, but I'd love to go back (to the Spengler) and do it again. It was probably the best week of my life, hockey-wise. Hopefully, Hockey Canada gives me a chance, if I'm back in Europe next year, to do it all over again.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2008
    http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarp...81d7316a0e&p=2

I usually watch this tournament as a side dish to the WJC or if Canada gets eliminated. Naw, this is a great tournament, whether Canada is defeated or wins it. I enjoy watchihng all the games. Last year I caught nearly all of the games, I barely saw the final this year. Still, yay! Canada, some redemption for last year!

Exhibition or not, this one of my favorite tournaments... and the history of it just makes it more exciting.

Alessandro - feel free to talk! I did not say that those are my feelings - I was only reporting what Canada's press said.

Shootmaster - great article! Thanks for sharing it!

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Bykov-Khomutov View Post
    Really important to know, Adler Mannheim will come to Davos with a new coach: DAVE KING!!!
    Dave King was also the coach of Magnitogorsk Mettalurg, 2005 Spengler Cup winner. He also won a couple of times with Team Canada, too!

Steigs - You are the man! Thank you! Great to be able to see the entire final game. I owe you one.

sorry it took so long. i'm assuming customs opened it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    sorry it took so long. i'm assuming customs opened it up.
    Right - American customs wondering what the hell is a Spengler...

Well, if they watched it, they saw a really entertaining brand of hockey.

Ufa (and Canada's Spengler Cup team) looks like they could, talent wise, play against an NHL team competitively, and perhaps win. Where I think Ufa (and Canada's Spengler Cup team) would ultimately fail against an NHL team is if the NHL team in question plays a physically punishing game and employs a strong forecheck.

Ufa didn't seem to deal well with the limited physical play that Canada's Spengler team employed against them. Canada's Spengler team's play was not an NHL style of play - it was a hybrid of NHL and European styles.

An NHL team would likely be a LOT more physical than the Canadian Spengler team (especially if they watched the tape and saw that Ufa had trouble with physical play, and also due to NHL teams having guys who are, on average, bigger and stronger than Canada's Spengler team), and would, in my opinion, wear Ufa down and force penalties.

Additionally, an NHL team using a strong forecheck would eliminate the time and space necessary for Ufa to play its (admittedly very elegant and impressive) puck possession and tic-tac-toe passing games, creating turnovers and ending Ufa's chances to create offense on a consistent basis.

Regardless, Ufa is a very skilled, entertaining team and it was nice to watch them for a full game as opposed to internet clips. In my opinion, the game was more exciting than most NHL games (other than the NHL playoffs or a particularly big regular season game).

Well, if they watched it, they saw a really entertaining brand of hockey.

Ufa (and Canada's Spengler Cup team) looks like they could, talent wise, play against an NHL team competitively, and perhaps win. Where I think Ufa (and Canada's Spengler Cup team) would ultimately fail against an NHL team is if the NHL team in question plays a physically punishing game and employs a strong forecheck.

Ufa didn't seem to deal well with the limited physical play that Canada's Spengler team employed against them. Canada's Spengler team's play was not an NHL style of play - it was a hybrid of NHL and European styles.

An NHL team would likely be a LOT more physical than the Canadian Spengler team (especially if they watched the tape and saw that Ufa had trouble with physical play, and also due to NHL teams having guys who are, on average, bigger and stronger than Canada's Spengler team), and would, in my opinion, wear Ufa down and force penalties.

Additionally, an NHL team using a strong forecheck would eliminate the time and space necessary for Ufa to play its (admittedly very elegant and impressive) puck possession and tic-tac-toe passing games, creating turnovers and ending Ufa's chances to create offense on a consistent basis.

Regardless, Ufa is a very skilled, entertaining team and it was nice to watch them for a full game as opposed to internet clips. In my opinion, the game was more exciting than most NHL games (other than the NHL playoffs or a particularly big regular season game).
    Nice summary and one that rings true to me as a i recall the games. I liked that tournament and now I know why. MarcB mentiond the hybrid NHL-Euro style that Canada used. It's a good summary.

Ufa had trouble with physical play
    Marc, I want to say that RSL games go in more physical way than Salavat played at SC.
    All the tournament Ufa played in All-star-game style, trying to avoid physical pressure.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information