Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spengler Cup 2007

Well, the game with Pardubice was an easy walk for Salavat.
    Hope there will be more interesting hockey hereinafter.
    Salavat - green rockets!

D Day for HC Davos today.They must win vs Pardubice and after that also to win Salavat + it might not be enough for the final.Evening game will be also very interesting.Salavat Ufa vs Adler Mannheim.Prediction 5:3 for Salavat.
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

Davos will not be the 2007 Spengler Cup champion after a 3-1 loss today to Pardubice.

Unless they beat Salavat Ufa (a tough task indeed), they will go 0-4 for the tournament, their worst result in quite some time.

Does anybody know how big is the prize money winner takes away? How much (if) other teams get?
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

Great game by Ufa.Mannheim didnt have single chance.Hope that Ufa will take Spengler this year

SALAVAT YULAEV UFA 6, ADLER MANNHEIM 1

I'll be interested to see how Canada does against Adler Mannheim.

Adler was TOO slow for Ufa...
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

Easy walk-2.
    Pardubice and Mannheim are noway near the RSL level.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Maybe organizers should invite one team from NHL for christmas hollidays next year.Sorry for HC Davos lost all chances for the final, they are simply not in shape at the moment.
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

Davos are out, most probably Pardubice too... Mannheim looked real weak against Ufa, so I guess this year itis clear story: Salavat Y vs. Team Canada.

Today those teams meet in day game.

Quote Originally Posted by Acroni767 View Post
    Maybe organizers should invite one team from NHL for christmas hollidays next year.Sorry for HC Davos lost all chances for the final, they are simply not in shape at the moment.
    THAT would make it a true club tournament and really lift the profile of Spengler

Quote Originally Posted by Acroni767 View Post
    I doubt the NHL would go for it, but you know for the sake of a week... the Sens had that long a break back in October, and them being a Canadian team, might be the perfect invite. Spengler's almost as big during the holidays as the WJC, so to have a Canadian NHL club would be great.

Seriously, the Senators - if they tried - would crush everybody.

Salavat's best players include guys like Perezhogin, who was not an NHL impact player, and Fred Brathwaite, who was not able to forge an NHL career.

This year's Senators team against Adler Mannheim would be simply ugly.

Bring an NHL team near the bottom of the NHL standings over, and at least there's a chance at an upset.

Take this year's Red Bull Salute - the LA Kings are arguably the worst team in the NHL (and they are currently dead last of all 30 teams), and they won the tournament, beating Farjestad in the final.

While I believe that even the Kings would very likely win the Spengler Cup if they were truly inspired to do so, I also think that the best few RSL/Elitserien/SM-Liiga teams could knock off one of the lower ranking NHL teams in a very short tournament such as this one where they meet each other once or, at most, twice. (And before you all jump on me, I am well aware of the Soviet-era teams' fine record against NHL teams, but that was then, and this is now, when the NHL is truly an international league with top players from all hockey playing nations, including Russia).

With all of that said, I have said many times at this forum that I would LOVE to see an NHL team play in the Spengler Cup......and with the crazy atmosphere there, they might even be inspired to try.

Personally, although I think a last place NHL team should go to keep things competitive, I think the most interest might be drawn from having an Original Six team come to play. Out of the Original Six, maybe have Chicago or Toronto come, since they haven't won any Cup of any kind in a long, long time..........heh.

I brought this up in another thread, but haven't seen any responses, so I'll try it here -

Does anyone know how teams end up getting invited to play in the Spengler Cup? Can a team simply contact HC Davos and request to play? Or does Davos carefully pick the teams it feels would make for a competitive tournament, and pick teams that it feels its fans would be interested to see? Has an NHL team ever been approached to play?

CANADA 3, SALAVAT YULAEV UFA 2

Salavat will more than likely have a chance to see Canada again in the final game.

Apparently Curtis Joseph had a very strong game in net for Canada.

This just goes to show how deep Canada's talent base is. The Canadian Spengler Cup team is essentially a Canadian "C" or even "D" national team, and they just beat the current first place professional RSL club. Canada could easily field two, or perhaps three, teams made up exclusively of NHL players if it wished. I think the very top national teams of Canada, Russia, probably Sweden, and PERHAPS Finland, USA and Czech Republic would be too much for any individual non-NHL club team to handle....and Canada, Russia and maybe Sweden's top national teams would likely be too much on most nights for an NHL club as well.

I wouldn't say "C" or "D" national team, I'd say very much below that.
    Team Canada is effectively a club team from any of the top European leagues, with one major difference: they only form a few days before the tournament. All things considered, they do alright.

Below a "D" team? Nah. Canada could probably put together at least 2 teams made up exclusively of NHL players; maybe even 3. But I think the Canadian Spengler Cup team is essentially AHL level, so a "D" team for Canada is basically on target.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    Below a "D" team? Nah. Canada could probably put together at least 2 teams made up exclusively of NHL players; maybe even 3. But I think the Canadian Spengler Cup team is essentially AHL level, so a "D" team for Canada is basically on target.
    Consider this: potential "A" teams would be made up of NHL first-liners, "B" teams of NHL second-liners, etc etc.
    That would put an AHL level roster as an "E" team at best.
    You have to remember the extreme depth of talent in Canadian hockey. I can't think of any other country that could boast an "E" team that could potentially be competitive at this level.

While it is obviously true that Canada's base is extremely deep, I think you guys are overstretching the result a little.

For Salavat, this is merely an exhibition tournament. The main thing is to show some good hockey and avoid injuries and some of the key players are resting at home in Russia.

I think the tournament is more meaningful for some of the Canadian players, namely those like Cujo who are eager to showcase themselves in order to get back to NHL. Compared with the other participating European countries, Canada's media coverage of this tournament is second-to-none.

We only get a real showdown between the NHL and the best European teams if the Victoria Cup gets going and there's lots of money at stake. Unfortunately, this will not be the case for a foreseeable future.

I don't know....I saw some clips of the Salavat games and their team seemed to be really pumped up each time they would score....far more emotion than a meaningless exhibition tournament.

That being said, your last comment rings true, though I do have hopes for the Victoria Cup in the future.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    ... some of the key players are resting at home in Russia.
    Sorry, but it is not true. Salavat is playing with full squad. Tverdovsky rested first game because of injury, but he played in second. Only keeper Hnilicka is at home in Czech republic (something about Russia visa). They are playing seriously and would like to win Spengler cup. Their "sponsors" want to see Ufa as the best team in Europe and this is very important tournament to show their strenght.

Cujo was outstanding in net for Canada in the game against Ufa! Nice to see a 40-year old can still have the goods. Also was nice to see Cujo's style of goaltending (lots of paddle-down saves and some 2-pad slides). All the other goalies are just the typical "cookie-cutter butterfly style" goaltenders. Actually besides Cujo and Lasak, the other goalies haven't really been anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Pablo Ramirez View Post
    Sorry, but it is not true. Salavat is playing with full squad. Tverdovsky rested first game because of injury, but he played in second. Only keeper Hnilicka is at home in Czech republic (something about Russia visa). They are playing seriously and would like to win Spengler cup. Their "sponsors" want to see Ufa as the best team in Europe and this is very important tournament to show their strenght.
    I watched the whole game online and trust me, both teams were pumped up in the game. It was way more physical than any other Spengler games. Sure guys like Cujo are trying to get back in the NHL but for elite guys like Travis Green and Tverdovsky it seemed to be more about making a point about their hockey playing skills at their ages. If the Spengler Cup as a whole were more like that game, then it would be pretty exciting. Don't get me wrong, I was cheering for Adler after they won their first game but soon realized that Davos was not playing like a Champion team. Note: Throughout the UFA/CDN game the great Swiss fans were cheering "UFA-Kanada UFA-Kanada..." nice to see the support for the GAME there.

I highly recommend watching the final between (assumed) UFA and Canada - I think it'll surprise a lot of people about the passion for winning this tournament.

Seriously, the Senators - if they tried - would crush everybody.

Salavat's best players include guys like Perezhogin, who was not an NHL impact player, and Fred Brathwaite, who was not able to forge an NHL career.

?
    I have to disagree on this. Perezhogin was pretty good in his short NHL stay - I thought he was a high intensity smaller player while Braithwaite was underestimated and often left out to dry as a backup goalie.

For me it seemed like Salavat's players wanted to fight rather than play hockey. Canadians just played in their usual style: good individual skills, discipline, no extra emotions.

I do agree with yesterday commentary on Sport channel during broadcasting: "When Canadian gets body-checking, he blames himself, stands up and continuing playing. When Russian gets body-checking, he takes offence, stops playing and starts pursue the "offender"".
    This is especially true for Russia-Canada games when no harsh responsibility for the result.

Don't forget also that Canada had a rest day before the game.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Pablo Ramirez View Post
    They are playing seriously and would like to win Spengler cup. Their "sponsors" want to see Ufa as the best team in Europe and this is very important tournament to show their strenght.
    No, you're mistaken. For Salavat it's just another step to "superclub" status (like AkBars, Avangard, Magnitka, Dynamo, Lokomotiv). "Superclub" must periodically play (not necessarily win) at international level, so we do :)

But no harsh responsibility for the result. See, players even live with their families in Davos.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Quote Originally Posted by kedr View Post
    No, you're mistaken. For Salavat it's just another step to "superclub" status (like AkBars, Avangard, Magnitka, Dynamo, Lokomotiv). "Superclub" must periodically play (not necessarily win) at international level, so we do :)

But no harsh responsibility for the result. See, players even live with their families in Davos.
    But isn't Salavat leading the RSL? Or, is there another way to determine and define "Superclub"? Sorry, I don't know much about the RSL...

Russia

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    But isn't Salavat leading the RSL? Or, is there another way to determine and define "Superclub"? Sorry, I don't know much about the RSL...
    "Leading" is not enough.
    Club must have history of winnings or pretendings to win.

RSL has so called "big seven": Magnitka, Loko, AkBars, Dynamo, Avangard, Lada, Severstal. Each of these clubs traditionally considered as a possible champion.
    Now Severstal and Lada gradually lose their prestige, while Salavat, SKA, CSKA and Khimik "finds" it.

But for present time Salavat is no more than "upstart with big stray money" :)

PS Look at the table of RSL medalists from 1996 and you'll see "superclubs":
    SeasonGoldSilverBronze
    1996/1997LokoLadaMagnitka, Salavat
    1997/1998AkBarsMagnitkaLoko
    1998/1999MagnitkaDynamoLoko, AkBars
    1999/2000DynamoAkBarsMagnitka, Kuznya
    2000/2001MagnitkaAvangardSeverstal
    2001/2002LokoAkBarsMagnitka
    2002/2003LokoSeverstalLada
    2003/2004AvangardMagnitkaAkBars, Lada
    2004/2005DynamoLadaLoko
    2005/2006AkBarsAvangardMagnitka
    2006/2007MagnitkaAkBarsAvangard
    Last edited by kedr; 30-12-2007 at 13:38.
    Salavat - green rockets!

"Leading" is not enough.
    Club must have history of winnings or pretendings to win.

RSL has so called "big seven": Magnitka, Loko, AkBars, Dynamo, Avangard, Lada, Severstal. Each of these clubs traditionally considered as a possible champion.
    Now Severstal and Lada gradually lose their prestige, while Salavat, SKA, CSKA and Khimik "finds" it.

But for present time Salavat is no more than "upstart with big stray money" :)
    Interesting comments and information that I never would've gotten from the RSL website. So the outcome of the final between UFA/CAN IS a big deal to UFA? Would this help towards being considered a superclub or do they need to win the RSL championship and keep up long term funding? Sorry, I know I'm getting into the area of discussion belonging in other threads.

Russia

Interesting comments and information that I never would've gotten from the RSL website. So the outcome of the final between UFA/CAN IS a big deal to UFA? Would this help towards being considered a superclub or do they need to win the RSL championship and keep up long term funding? Sorry, I know I'm getting into the area of discussion belonging in other threads.
    Sorry, but winning Spengler cup is almost nothing. Especially if Salavat will get Spengler cup but won't advance to RSL final - it will be a cause for endless sneers.

To have a high reputation in Russia club must:
    1. Get RSL medals for several straight years;
    2. Win RSL;
    3. Periodically participate in prestigious international tournaments: Euro Champions Cup, Spengler Cup, Continental Cup. Not necessarily win, but play fittingly.

BTW don't forget that Salavat has a bunch of very good players, 5 almost equal lines. In-team rivalry is high. And no one sportsman likes to lose. So Spengler cup will be a pleasant addition to RSL gold medals :))
    Last edited by kedr; 30-12-2007 at 14:37.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Thursday December 27th

Pardubice – Salavat Yulaev Ufa 0-5 (0-1 0-2 0-2)
    Vaillant Arena : 6'831 fans
    Heads : Brent Reiber, Guy Pellerin
    Pardubice : Alexandr Hylak, Jan Lasak ; Michal Seda, Jan Snopek, Jaroslav Koma, David Havir, Angel Nikolov, Marek Posmik, Martin Stettler, Tomas Linhart ; Zdenek Ondrej, Tomas Blazek, Michal Tvrdik, Radovan Somik, Peter Pücher, Jiri Cetkovsky, Michal Klejna, Jan Stary, Libor Pivko, Matthias Joggi, Petr Koukal, Tomas Zohorna.
    Ufa : Alexander Eeremenko, Vadim Tarasov ; Kirill Koltsov, Oleg Tverdovsky, Igor Shadilov, Miroslav Blatak, Andrei Kutejkin, Vitaly Proshkin, Alexander Boïkov, Radek Philipp, Alexeï Shkotov, Alexander Perezhogin, Alexeï Tereshchenko, Konstantin Koltsov, Michal Mikeska, Vladimir Antipov, Andrej Sidjakin, Ruslan Nurtdinov, Andrej Taratukhin, Dimitri Tarasov, Alexej Medvedev, Igor Volkov.
    Goals :
    09’ Alexander Perezhogin (Alexej Tereshchenko, Kirill Koltsov, 2PP) 0-1
    35’ Ruslan Nurtdinov (Andreï Kutejkin, PP) 0-2
    38’ Alexander Perezhogin (Alexej Tereshchenko, Kirill Koltsov) 0-3
    43’ Vitaly Proshkin (Kirill Koltsov, Andrej Taratukhin, PP) 0-4
    51’ Igor Volkov (Dmitri Tarasov, PP) 0-5
    PIM : Pardubice 13x 2’ + 5’ (Cetkovsky) + 10’ (Koukal) + 20’ (Cetkovsky) / Ufa 7x 2’

Davos – Team Canada 2-6 (1-1 1-2 0-3)
    Vaillant Arena : 7'146 fans
    Heads : Marcus Vinnerborg, Jari Levonen
    Davos : Leonardo Genoni, Reto Berra ; Marc Gianola, Nick Naumenko, Janne Niinimaa, Andreas Furrer, Zdenek Kutlak, Florian Blatter, Pascal Müller, Gian-Marco Crameri, Benny Winkler ; Alexandre Daigle, Reto Von Arx, Peter Guggisberg, Juraj Kolnik, Erik Westrum, Michel Riesen, Mike Maneluk, Josef Marha, Dan Lacouture, Andres Ambühl, Dario Bürgler.
    Team Canada : Sébastien Caron, Curtis Joseph ; Shawn Heins, Marc Giordano, Curtis Murphy, Yannick Tremblay, André Benoît, Danny Syvret, Mike Siklenka, Rick Jackman ; Simon Gamache, Serge Aubin, Kirby Law, Travis Green, Jean-Pierre Vigier, Dale McTavish, Domenico Pittis, Cory Pecker, Ramzi Abid, Yves Sarault, Marty Murray, Ryan Keller.
    Goals :
    09’ Mike Siklenka (Serge Aubin, PP) 0-1
    14’ Mike Maneluk (Gian-Marco Crameri, Alexandre Daigle, PP) 1-1
    25’ Andres Ambühl (Josef Marha, PP) 2-1
    28’ Yannick Tremblay (PP) 2-2
    31’ André Benoit (Danny Syvret, Yves Sarault, PP) 2-3
    41’ Dale McTavish (Jean-Pierre Vigier, Shawn Heins) 2-4
    57’ Ryan Keller (Yannick Tremblay, Yves Sarault, PP) 2-5
    59’ Serge Aubin (Curtis Murphy) 2-6
    PIM: Davos 10x 2' / Team Canada 9x 2'

Friday December 28th

Davos – Pardubice 1-3 (0-1 0-1 1-1)
    Heads : Guy Pellerin, Jari Levonen
    Davos : Reto Berra, Leonardo Genoni ; Janne Niinimaa, Marc Gianola, Florian Blatter, Nick Naumenko, Zdenek Kutlak, Benny Winkler, Pascal Müller, Andreas Furrer ; Alexandre Daigle, Reto Von Arx, Michel Riesen, Juraj Kolnik, Erik Westrum, Mike Maneluk, Loïc Burkhalter, Josef Marha, Dan Lacouture, Andres Ambühl, Gian-Marco Crameri, Marc Wieser.
    Pardubice : Jan Lasak, Alexandr Hylak ; Michal Seda, Jan Snopek, Angel Nikolov, Jaroslav Koma, Tomas Linhart, Marek Posmik, Martin Stettler ; Jiri Cetkovsky, Michal Tvrdik, Tomas Blazek, Tomas Rolinek, Radovan Somik, Peter Pücher, Miroslav Hlinka, Libor Pivko, Jan Stary, Michal Klejna, Petr Koukal, Tomas Zohorna, Matthias Joggi.
    Goals :
    03’ Tomas Rolinek (Tomas Blazek, Michal Tvrdik) 0-1
    22’ Miroslav Hlinka (Peter Pücher, Radovan Somik) 0-2
    49’ Juraj Kolnik (Nick Naumenko, PP) 1-2
    52’ Libor Pivko (Michal Klejna, Jan Stary) 1-3
    PIM : Davos 10x 2’ + 25’ (Niinimaa) / Pardubice 9x 2’ + 5’ (Joggi) + 20’ (Joggi)

Adler Mannheim – Salavat Yulaev Ufa 1-6 (1-2 0-2 0-2)
    Vaillant Arena : 6'032 fans
    Heads : Brent Reiber, Marcus Vinnerborg
    Mannheim : Adam Hauser, Ilpo Kauhanen ; Sven Butenschön, Pascal Trépanier, Dan McGillis, Felix Petermann, Martin Ancicka, François Bouchard, Stefan Langwieder ; Marcus Kink, Colin Forbes, Jeff Shantz, Rick Girard, Ronny Arendt, Christoph Ullmann, Tomas Martinec, Eduard Lewandowski, François Methot, Michael Hackert, Rico Fata, Philipp Schlafer, Frank Mauer.
    Ufa : Vadim Tarasov, Alexander Eeremenko ; Igor Shadilov, Kirill Koltsov, Miroslav Blatak, Oleg Tverdovsky, Vitaly Proshkin, Andreï Kutejkin, Alexander Boïkov, Mihaïl Chernov ; Alexeï Shkotov, Alexeï Tereschenko, Alexandr Perezhogin, Stanislav Chistov, Vladimir Antipov, Michal Mikeska, Andreï Sidyakin, Ruslan Nurtdinov, Andreï Taratukhin, Dmitri Tarasov, Igor Volkov, Alexeï Medvedev.
    Goals :
    01’ Rick Girard (Colin Forbes) 1-0
    16’ Mihaïl Chernov (Alexeï Medvedev, Alexandr Boïkov, PP) 1-1
    17’ Kirill Koltsov (Alexeï Tereschenko, Alexandr Perezhogin) 1-2
    26’ Andreï Sidyakin (Andreï Taratukhin, Vitaly Proshkin, PP) 1-3
    28’ Andreï Kutejkin (Michal Mikeska) 1-4
    45’ Alexeï Shkotov (Alexandr Perezhogin) 1-5
    54’ Vitaly Proshkin (Andreï Taratukhin, Andreï Sidyakin, PP) 1-6
    PIM : Mannheim 12x 2’ + 25’ (Kink) / Ufa 6x 2’ + 10’ (Nurtdinov)

Saturday December 29th

Salavat Yulaev Ufa – Team Canada 2-3 (1-2 1-0 0-1)
    Vaillant Arena : 7'064 fans
    Heads : Brent Reiber, Jari Levonen
    Ufa : Alexander Eeremenko, Vadim Tarasov ; Igor Shadilov, Kirill Koltsov, Miroslav Blatak, Oleg Tverdovsky, Vitaly Proshkin, Andreï Kuteykin, Alexandr Boïkov, Mihaïl Chernov ; Stanislav Chistov, Alexeï Tereschenko, Alexander Perezhogin, Konstantin Koltsov, Vladimir Antipov, Michal Mikeska, Andreï Sidyakin, Rusland Nurtdinov, Andreï Taratukhin, Dmitri Tarasov, Igor Volkov, Alexeï Medvedev.
    Team Canada : Curtis Joseph, Sébastien Caron ; Yannick Tremblay, Marc Giordano, Shawn Heins, Curtis Murphy, Danny Syvret, André Benoit, Mike Siklenka ; Simon Gamache, Serge Aubin, Kirby Law, Travis Green, Dale McTavish, Jean-Pierre Vigier, Domenico Pittis, Cory Pecker, Ramzi Abid, Yves Sarault, Marty Murray, Ryan Keller.
    Goals :
    14’ Andreï Kuteykin (Alexeï Tereschenko) 1-0
    15’ Yves Sarault (Ryan Keller, Marty Murray, PP) 1-1
    16’ Simon Gamache (Kirby Law, Serge Aubin, PP) 1-2
    25’ Oleg Tverdovsky (Alexander Perezhogin, Kirill Koltsov, PP) 2-2
    48’ Dale McTavish 2-3
    PIM : Ufa 9x 2’ / Team Canada 10x 2’

Pardubice – Adler Mannheim 3-4 (2-0 1-3 0-1)
    Vaillant Arena : 6'027 fans
    Heads : Guy Pellerin, Marcus Vinnerborg
    Pardubice : Jan Lasak, Alexandr Hylak ; Michal Seda, Jan Snopek, Jaroslav Koma, Angel Nikolov, Tomas Linhart, Marek Posmik, Martin Stettler ; Zdenek Ondrej, Tomas Blazek, Michal Tvrdik, Tomas Rolinek, Radovan Somik, Peter Pücher, Miroslav Hlinka, Michal Klejna, Jan Stary, Libor Pivko, Tomas Zohorna, Matthias Joggi, Jiri Cetkovsky.
    Mannheim : Adam Hauser, Ilpo Kauhanen; François Bouchard, Martin Ancicka; Pascal Trepanier, Sven Butenschön; Felix Petermann, Dan McGillis; Rick Girard, Jeff Shantz, Colin Forbes; Tomas Martinec, Christoph Ullmann, Ronny Arendt; Eduard Lewandowski, René Corbet, François Methot; Michael Hackert, Rico Fata, Philipp Schlager.
    Goals :
    14’ Jiri Cetkovsky (Zdenek Ondrej, Matthias Joggi) 1-0
    19’ Michal Klejna 2-0
    27’ Rick Girard (Jeff Shantz, Sven Butenschön) 2-1
    29’ Philipp Schlager (Dan McGillis, Rico Fata) 2-2
    35’ Tomas Rolinek (Michal Tvrdik, BP !) 3-2
    37’ Rico Fata (Michael Hackert, Felix Petermann) 3-3
    45’ Eduard Lewandowski (Pascal Trépanier, René Corbet, PP) 3-4
    PIM : Pardubice 7x 2’ + 10’ (Snopek) / Mannheim 5x 2’

Oops.....Brathwaite is with Avangard. It looks like Salavat's only players with NHL experience to speak of are Tverdovsky & Perezhogin....I'd place big money on the Senators in an Ottawa-Ufa matchup.

The Salavat-Canada game was very close; assuming they meet in the final game, either team has a good chance to win.

Kedr - thanks for the interesting perspective on the Russian view of the Spengler Cup and the "big 7." Interestingly, in North America, hockey fans think of one Russian club above all others - CSKA Moscow (called 'Red Army' over here), which, during much of Soviet times, was probably the best club team in the world, NHL included, and, during Soviet times, had a dominant record against NHL teams. North American hockey fans also remember the strong Dynamo Moscow teams of the past, and to a lesser extent Krylia Sovetov Moscow (called 'Soviet Wings' here). Although games were also played by NHL clubs with Spartak Moscow, Khimik, Dynamo Riga, and SKA (when it was SKA Leningrad) the
    "average" North American hockey fan really only remembers Red Army, Dynamo and Soviet Wings.

Marc: isn't "CSKA" the cyrillic acronym for "Soviet Central Red Army"?
    That's what I'd been told in the past, and it was after all the army sport club.

For that matter, Krylia Sovetov does indeed translate directly to "Soviet Wings"... that much I remember reading on this very board.

You're correct on both counts......the typical North American hockey fan would give you a blank stare if you said 'CSKA' or 'Krylia Sovetov', though.

Canada returns yet again to the Spengler Cup final!!!!!

CANADA 4, ADLER MANNHEIM 2

Adler Mannheim played a good game against Canada today, according to the Spengler Cup website. At one point it was 2-2 in the third period. Dale MacTavish scored Canada's game winner. The website noted that Adler's lineup includes nine Canadian citizens.

Team Canada – Adler Mannheim 4-2 (0-1 2-0 2-1)
    Heads : Brent Reiber, Jari Levonen
    Team Canada : Sébastien Caron, Curtis Joseph; Yannick Tremblay, Mark Giordano; Curtis Murphy, Shawn Heins; Danny Syvret, André Benoit; Mike Siklenka; Kirby Law, Serge Aubin, Simon Gamache; Jean-Pierre Vigier, Travis Green, Dale McTavish; Cory Pecker, Marc Chouinard, Domenico Pittis; Ryan Keller, Marty Murray, Yves Sarault.
    Mannheim : Adam Hauser, Ilpo Kauhanen; François Bouchard, Martin Ancicka; Pascal Trepanier, Sven Butenschön; Felix Petermann, Dan McGillis; Rick Girard, Jeff Shantz, Colin Forbes; Tomas Martinec, Christoph Ullmann, Ronny Arendt; René Corbet, François Methot, Eduard Lewandowski; Marcus Kink, Michael Hackert, Rico Fata.
    Goals :
    17’ Colin Forbes (Christoph Ullmann, PP) 0-1
    23’ Ryan Keller (Yves Sarault, Marty Murray, PP) 1-1
    32’ André Benoit (Serge Aubin, Simon Gamache, PP) 2-1
    41’ Pascal Trépanier (Colin Forbes, Rick Girard) 2-2
    45’ Dale McTavish (Danny Syvret) 3-2
    50’ Simon Gamache (Mark Giordano, Kirby Law) 4-2
    PIM : Team Canada 11x 2’ / Mannheim 10x 2’

Canada returns yet again to the Spengler Cup final!!!!!

CANADA 4, ADLER MANNHEIM 2

Adler Mannheim played a good game against Canada today, according to the Spengler Cup website. At one point it was 2-2 in the third period. Dale MacTavish scored Canada's game winner. The website noted that Adler's lineup includes nine Canadian citizens.
    ...including their two goal-scorers, apparently. Ironic, no?

Marc, it'll be a damned good final, and yes, you'll get a copy of it on VHS.

Sorry, but winning Spengler cup is almost nothing. Especially if Salavat will get Spengler cup but won't advance to RSL final - it will be a cause for endless sneers.

To have a high reputation in Russia club must:
    1. Get RSL medals for several straight years;
    2. Win RSL;
    3. Periodically participate in prestigious international tournaments: Euro Champions Cup, Spengler Cup, Continental Cup. Not necessarily win, but play fittingly.

BTW don't forget that Salavat has a bunch of very good players, 5 almost equal lines. In-team rivalry is high. And no one sportsman likes to lose. So Spengler cup will be a pleasant addition to RSL gold medals :))

oh-oh, then it looks like it'll be a lot of work to get there

That Ufa-Davos game was nuts. Really unpredictable game. And bad goaltending on both teams. Especially Switzerland. Which is strange, because goaltending is usually the strong point of Swiss hockey. Anyway, I had a feeling Davos wouldn't end the tournament without a win. Good on 'em.

DAVOS 6, SALAVAT YULAEV UFA 5

Despite finishing with only 2 wins against 2 losses, Salavat Yulaev Ufa is in the Spengler Cup final against Team Canada.

It should be a dogfight.....I'm sure that both teams will play to win.

Davos – Salavat Yulaev Ufa 6-5 (1-3 2-0 3-2)
    Heads : Marcus Vinnerborg, Guy Pellerin
    Davos : Reto Berra, Leonardo Genoni; Marc Gianola, Gian-Marco Crameri; Nick Naumenko, Florian Blatter; Benny Winkler, Zdenek Kutlak; Andreas Furrer, Pascal Müller; Michel Riesen, Reto Von Arx, Alexandre Daigle; Juraj Kolnik, Erik Westrum, Mike Maneluk; Marc Wieser, Josef Marha, Loïc Burkhalter; Dario Bürgler, Dario Gartmann, Andres Ambühl.
    Ufa : Vadim Tarasov, Alexander Eeremenko; Andreï Kuteykin, Vitaly Proshkin; Oleg Tverdovsky, Miroslav Blatak; Radek Philipp, Kirill Koltsov; Aleksandr Boïkov, Mikhaïl Chernov; Andreï Sidyakin, Andreï Taratukhin, Ruslan Nurtdinov; Vladimir Antipov, Michal Mikeska, Konstantin Koltsov; Alexandr Perezhogin, Dmitri Tarasov, Stanislav Chistov; Alexeï Shkotov, Alexei Medvedev, Igor Volkov.
    Goals :
    02’ Alexander Perezhogin (Dmitri Tarasov, Stanislav Chistov) 0-1
    07’ Ruslan Nurtdinov (Andreï Taratukhin) 0-2
    08’ Nick Naumenko (Juraj Kolnik) 1-2
    09’ Stanislav Chistov (Michal Mikeska) 1-3
    23’ Josef Marha (Loïc Burkhalter, Marc Wieser) 2-3
    36’ Loïc Burkhalter (Nick Naumenko) 3-3
    45’ Josef Marha (Loïc Burkhalter) 4-3
    46’ Michel Riesen (Reto Von Arx, Alexandre Daigle) 5-3
    54’ Mikhaïl Chernov (Alexeï Shkotov) 5-4
    54’ Miroslav Blatak (Konstantin Koltsov) 5-5
    58’ Josef Marha (Alexandre Daigle, Mike Maneluk, PP) 6-5
    PIM : Davos 8x 2’ / Ufa 5x 2’

Thought some of you might be interested in this article from TSN (a Canadian sports channel) regarding the Canadian team and UFA.

DAVOS, Switzerland - The Spengler Cup final - Canada versus a top Russian team - will be a New Year's Eve hockey treat.

Former NHLers now skating for European clubs are getting a rare chance to represent Canada. They've been joined by free-agent goalie Curtis Joseph, who gets the start in the title game, and AHL skaters Simon Gamache and Danny Syvret. They were hastily assembled and have quickly become a cohesive unit.

A 4-2 win over Mannheim of Germany on Sunday sent Canada to the final with a 4-0 record, and head coach Sean Simpson's squad is determined to win this top club tournament for the first time in four years.

The opponent in Monday's championship game will be Salavat Yulaev Ufa, a Russian powerhouse with a budget of US$50 million and the supplier of at least half the skaters on the Russian national team.

''As for motivation, I don't think we'll need to do much to get the guys up for this one,'' said Simpson. ''We've really grown as a team.''

Rest of Story Here:
    http://www.tsn.ca/canadian_hockey/ne...26136&hubname=

Kedr and Marc and others: any predictions for the Ufa Salavat/CAN game?

I'm torn as who I think will win because of the grueling pace of the schedule. It seems that Salavat was scoring much more easily than Canada as the tournament progressed. But then the 6-5 loss to Davos may have shown some tiredness in Defence or Goaltending (even with using other players instead of the main lineup). Canada's production was never really great and if they can't pick it up then I think it may be a loss. But I'm thinking that both teams will pick it up and it will result in a tie game with Curtis Joseph coming up big in the penalty shootout for a Canada win.
    Last edited by leftofcenter; 31-12-2007 at 09:23. Reason: corrections

Does anyone know how teams end up getting invited to play in the Spengler Cup? Can a team simply contact HC Davos and request to play? Or does Davos carefully pick the teams it feels would make for a competitive tournament, and pick teams that it feels its fans would be interested to see? Has an NHL team ever been approached to play?
    I found this bit of information in the Canadian Press story on TSN that I mention in a previous posting:

"The Spengler Cup is the biggest club tournament in the world. With all the Canadians playing in the Swiss elite league, organizers granted Hockey Canada permission to enter a team and it has done so since the 1980s. "

However, this "permission" part could be just due to CAN being a non-club entry. There may be more to it still.
    Last edited by leftofcenter; 31-12-2007 at 09:24.

I found this bit of information in the Canadian Press story on TSN that I mention in a previous posting:

"The Spengler Cup is the biggest club tournament in the world..
    *ahem* Perhaps in Canada, definitively not in Europe. The IIHF sponsored tournaments are far more prestigous, Spengler Cup is merely an exhibition tournament, albeit the most prestigous one.

Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    *ahem* Perhaps in Canada, definitively not in Europe. The IIHF sponsored tournaments are far more prestigous, Spengler Cup is merely an exhibition tournament, albeit the most prestigous one.
    Which ones? (I don't know that's why I'm asking - not trying to be argumentative).

To be totally honest I think "most" Canadians don't follow international hockey at all as they perceive the NHL to be some kind of hockey holy land or something. Of course other Canadians could say I'm generalizing but I'm basing this on what my hockey friends, hockey crazed-family, the kids I've coached, and all the guys and girls I've grown up playing with and still play with, say about international hockey.

The globalization of hockey really hasn't extended to the presentation of games for people to watch (unless you can afford the specialty sports channels). At the very best, it's only marginally better and that's why people in Canada know Spengler Cup and WJC (but nothing about Div 1-3) or the IIHF sponsored tournaments you mention. It's the TSN channel showing it but not the naitonal public broadcaster CBC, who really should be doing a better job in this regard.

Which ones? (I don't know that's why I'm asking - not trying to be argumentative).
    ECC and Continental Cup this season. In future Champions League and Victoria Cup. Other tournaments are just exhibition tournaments

Quote Originally Posted by SharksAttack View Post
    ECC and Continental Cup this season. In future Champions League and Victoria Cup. Other tournaments are just exhibition tournaments
    Hmmm, mention any of these in Canada and you'd just get blank looks in return. Mind you, they are European so it's probably understandable that a North American wouldn't know much about it. I mention Spengler Cup or Champions League in my house here in Germany and I still get blank looks from the extended family... ah well.

Still, an 81 year old tournament in the Spengler Cup is pretty exciting, history wise. Any odds of seeing Swedish, Finnish, Danish, or Norwegian teams at Spengler in the future?

Still, an 81 year old tournament in the Spengler Cup is pretty exciting, history wise.
    Yes, still quite exciting because of the fantastic atmosphere on New Years eve, but totally unpredictable. Canada can either win or be blown out like two years ago when they lost 3:8 to Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

This is what characterize exhibition tournaments from the 'real' international club tournaments: unpredicability.

I hope Canada will win since the betting odds are attractive: 2.85.

. Any odds of seeing Swedish, Finnish, Danish, or Norwegian teams at Spengler in the future?
    Swedish and Finnish teams participate regularly in Spengler Cup. Very unlikely that Danish teams will participate - unless Aalborg wins the Continental Cup next week (even more unlikely).

Canada wins the Spengler Cup for the first time in 4 years!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to Hockey Canada!!!!!!!!!!!

Final Score:

CANADA 2, SALAVAT YULAEV UFA 1

Exhibition tournament or not, Canada's Spengler Cup team beat Ufa 2 out of 2 games. Nicely done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information