• - Serbia - to Relegate down to qualifier

0 0%
  • - Bulgaria - to Relegate down to qualifier

14 28.00%
  • - New Zealand - to Relegate down to qualifier

2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Div III @ Belgrade (SRB), Jan 16-25 AUS, TUR, ARM, RSA, SRB, BUL, NZL

IHF Member
    The Australians took a very young and weak (having played with and against most of the players) compared to what they could have. Apparently their plan for youth and unity (a very large Victorian contingent who had all played under Simon Holmes previously) hasn't come to fruition. Here's to hoping that Australia manages to turn it around and still gain a promotion.

Was the Serbia Vs Australia playing full strength teams for both countries ?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nzicewebmstr View Post
    Was the Serbia Vs Australia playing full strength teams for both countries ?
    who knows, but must be full strenght. i dont see why should anyone on this level hide something, especially when both teams played only that game before tournament.
    serbs (as they said on their forum) rotated their defensive pairs to see who fits best in def lines.

i know theres a problem to find apponents for low level div3 nations at worst timing (xmas, holidays), but to travel to WC without any test games or playing just one is irresponsible. i dont expect any scouting or big plans but still, kiwis or aussies could come to serbian neighbourhood few days earlier (croatia/hungary/romania) for couple of test games

The kiwis are in Camp just out of Prague for a few days - and have been playing a few practice games. Looking forward to catching up with the team in Belgrade tomorrow (currently in LAX).

IHF Member
    The kiwis are in Camp just out of Prague for a few days - and have been playing a few practice games. Looking forward to catching up with the team in Belgrade tomorrow (currently in LAX).
    if you are a barbicue fan try "punjena vesalica" , if you prefer vegetarian meals - youll be hungry. its all about meat in serbia.
    when your in the city, drive in a cab, just stop it on the street. fare is a joke (0.5 euros per km).

Thanks for the advice - any recommendations on restaurants / experiences in around Belgrade ?

IHF Member
    Thanks for the advice - any recommendations on restaurants / experiences in around Belgrade ?
    serbian members could be more usefull, but if i were you i wouldnt miss walk thre center -pedestrian avenue (knez mihajlova street) to the kalemegdan fortress. walk around it, theres a military museum.
    dont know the schedule, but maybe you can stop by for a basketball match in pionir arena (just across pionir ice rink), for a meal, just ask at the reception of a hotel, theres dozens places with great serbian cusine.

http://www.beograd.org.yu/cms/view.php?id=220

this website is quite helpfull.

AUS is up 3-1 early in the 3rd period, with goals from with 2 from Micheal Beaton and Travis Woods with the other goal, and Yavuz Karakoc with the only goal for TUR.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

It's now 4-3 AUS, goals scored by both teams under a minute from each other with Cameron Walsh for AUS at 56:32, TUR scored about a minute later from Serkan Gumus at 57:35.

Edit

AUS has won the opening game 5-3 with a goal with just 44 seconds left on an empty netter from Andrew Fitzgerald to win the game for AUS.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

Zemun area of Beograd is very nice and full of good restaurants and bar

5-3 AUS, Andrew Fitzgerald

Game is over, good debut for aussies

Interesting in Bulgaria's roster there is this player: Tomas Saint James, born in 1990, not really a bulgarian surname...

Anyone known his roots? maybe canadian?

Armenia leading South Africa 3:0, with a pair of SH goals by Zhamkochyan!
    Last edited by ahtikullervo; 16-01-2008 at 20:58.
    Brian Burke: "True leaders donít need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

On-line seems to be off...
    Brian Burke: "True leaders donít need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Game is over, good debut for aussies
    Turkey also played well if you ask me, seeing as the Fightin' 'Roos were relegated from Div II. James MacEachern, replacing Clive Tolley at the helm, must be doing a good job. Uyar Cagil said he was a very good coach. I agree - so far, so good. I doubt anybody will touch Serbia, so can Turkey fight for medals?
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide
    Interesting in Bulgaria's roster there is this player: Tomas Saint James, born in 1990, not really a bulgarian surname...
    Yeah, unusual Bulgarian name. He was on the U18 team last year for Bulgaria. Another interesting thing with Bulgaria is Alexandar Todorov who is, apparently, a goaltender now. What's odd about that? He was a defenseman on the entry list!
    Quote Originally Posted by ahtikullervo
    On-line seems to be off...
    Even with the new and improved website, the IIHF still doesn't care much about Division III tournaments. Pity, that.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

8:0 Armenia in the end of 2nd...

Qeshishyan 2+4 so far!
    Last edited by ahtikullervo; 16-01-2008 at 22:50.

Quote Originally Posted by ahtikullervo View Post
    7:0 Armenia in the end of 2nd...

Qeshishyan 2+4 so far!
    2+3 for Harutyun, 0+1 for Ervand. Looks like #7's going for the scoring title again and he's already amassed more assists than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles View Post
    Even with the new and improved website, the IIHF still doesn't care much about Division III tournaments. Pity, that.
    I don't know about that. It doesn't matter how good the website is, it still needs someone from the tournament organisers to update the website as the game goes along. At this level, resource and IT infrastructure in the rink often don't allow for it.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Member
    Serbia - Bulgaria 6:0 after first period

So how did the Armenia game end???

At least 13-0. That's where I'm at now with the scoring. H. Qeshishyan potted a natural hat trick in the third from 43.00 to 51.07. Now he's at 5+3 if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Check that, it is now 13-1, South Africa's Tariq Ishmail scored at 50.02, making Qeshishyan's third period trifecta a regular ol' hat trick.

And yet it is not final result? How many hours after the game ended???

IHF Member
    armenia won 13-1 or 13-2, serbs are 11-0 ahead after 2 periods, "bulgarians are having trouble skating, not only using puck and a stick" acordint to friend of mine left ice rink resignated after 2 periods of terrible hockey.

IHF Prospect
    Serbia def. Bulgaria 16-0 (6:0, 5:0, 5:0)

In the 41.minute made Serbians 3 goals

IHF Member
    Aussies wont be very happy after letting a 3-1 lead in the third period slip away.

scores and standings after day 1

Australia 5 Turkey 3 (1-1, 1-0, 3-2)

Armenia 13 South Africa 1 (4-0, 4-0, 5-1)

Serbia 16 Bulgaria 0 (6-0, 5-0, 5-0)

#TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Serbia1000316-0
    2Armenia1000313-1
    3Australia100035-3
    4New Zealand000000-0
    5Turkey000103-5
    6South Africa000101-13
    7Bulgaria000100-16

day 2 games
    New Zealand-Bulgaria
    Australia-South Africa
    Armenia-Turkey

IHF Prospect
    Someone was saying that Australia is really strong team. Or maybe Turkey got better? I need some feedback, It's getting hard to understand that Aus barely beat Turkey. Any other comments???

Quote Originally Posted by devito View Post
    Someone was saying that Australia is really strong team. Or maybe Turkey got better? I need some feedback, It's getting hard to understand that Aus barely beat Turkey. Any other comments???
    Turkey is going to good... =)

Pair that with what appears to be a particularly weak Aussie team, and there's your answer.

IHF Prospect
    Turkey also played well if you ask me, seeing as the Fightin' 'Roos were relegated from Div II. James MacEachern, replacing Clive Tolley at the helm, must be doing a good job. Uyar Cagil said he was a very good coach. I agree - so far, so good. I doubt anybody will touch Serbia, so can Turkey fight for medals?

Yeah, unusual Bulgarian name. He was on the U18 team last year for Bulgaria. Another interesting thing with Bulgaria is Alexandar Todorov who is, apparently, a goaltender now. What's odd about that? He was a defenseman on the entry list!
    Maybe yes Turkey improved. But I do not think they can fight for medal. Serbia looks like really strong, also there is NZ and don't forget Armenia. This year they looks like have more players on the ice( about 12-14). For Turkey to fight for medal they have to pass Armenia and NZ. They lost to Aus already, they can't pass Serbia. Last year they lost to NZ and Armenia.

IHF Prospect

Maybe yes Turkey improved. But I do not think they can fight for medal. Serbia looks like really strong, also there is NZ and don't forget Armenia. This year they looks like have more players on the ice( about 12-14). For Turkey to fight for medal they have to pass Armenia and NZ. They lost to Aus already, they can't pass Serbia. Last year they lost to NZ and Armenia.

IHF Prospect
    Kiwis-Bulgaria 4:0 after 1st period

1:0 Hay, PPG
    2:0 Durbin, PPG
    3:0 Eaden
    4:0 Eaden

IHF Prospect
    Kiwis-Bulgaria 12:0 (4-0, 8-0,) after 2nd period

5:0 Hay, PPG
    6:0 Eaden
    7:0 Harrop, PPG
    8:0 Harrop
    9:0 Lee
    10:0 Challis
    11:0 Stone
    12:0 Idoine

It's currently 17-0 NZL, it's only day 2 of this tournament and it's already getting very ugly for BUL.

IHF Prospect
    Kiwis def. Bulgaria 19-1 (4-0, 8-0, 7-1)

13:0 Lee, PPG
    14:0 Hay
    15:0 Speck
    16:0 Herbert
    17:0 Lee
    17:1 Spirov, PPG
    18:1 Challis
    19:1 McLeish, SHG
    Last edited by Wbk; 17-01-2008 at 18:01.

I guess playing evening game against Serbia and starting next morning against New Zealand killed Bulgaria...

Quote Originally Posted by tanman9 View Post
    It's currently 17-0 NZL, it's only day 2 of this tournament and it's already getting very ugly for BUL.
    They have played two of the better teams however. You are right though, Bulgaria is in trouble with their senior league and junior development. If it wasn't for Armenia in 2006, Bulgaria would have finished last in U20 every year since 2005. In fact, only though goals scored were they not last in 2004, which interestingly enough they finished ahead of NZ.

IHF Prospect
    Kangorooz are 7:0 ahead after 1st period of their match ag.South Africa. Seems to be attack of 20 goals margin... Are Africans so tragic this year? Yesterday 13 from Armenia, today this seems not very good too...

IHF Prospect
    AUS def. RSA 16-2 (7-0, 5-1, 4-1)

Day 2 scores and standings

New Zealand 19 Bulgaria 1 (4-0, 8-0, 7-1)

Australia 16 South Africa 2 (7-0, 5-1, 4-1)

Armenia 13 Turkey 1 (4-0, 4-1, 5-0)

#TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Armenia2000626-2
    2Australia2000621-5
    3New Zealand1000319-1
    4Serbia1000316-0
    5Turkey000204-18
    6South Africa000203-29
    7Bulgaria000201-35

Day 3 Games
    Bulgaria-Australia
    Turkey-New Zealand
    Serbia-South Africa

IHF Prospect
    Looks like the Armenia vs. Turkey game got a little chippy. Almost 200 minutes in penalties.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyfrk18 View Post
    Looks like the Armenia vs. Turkey game got a little chippy. Almost 200 minutes in penalties.
    Which is hardly suprising considering their history...

Although looking at the results I am puzzled about who is the better teams after Serbia. Armenia beat Turkey by 12 goals while Australia only just squeaked past Turkey. But both Armenia and Australia performed equally well against South Africa (13-1 and 16-2).
    Last edited by Bagratid; 18-01-2008 at 02:40. Reason: Spelling

IHF Member
    bagratid, at this level everything is possible and i belive that kiwis, armenians, serbs and aussies have chances for a promotion and i wouldnt put serbs as a hot favorits. fatigue will be the key on this tournament, kids never played so many games in a row. chasing goal difference and pushing for whole 60 mins isnt the smartest thing to do so i wouldnt compare results like that.
    maybe armenians took game vr south africa easy, maybe aussies just had a bad day vr turks, maybe...maybe. after day3 things should get bit more clear.

IHF Prospect
    Tomorrow will be another easy day. Serbs, Auz will win easy. NZ also will win but Turkey will fight. It won't be a killer. On day four.... here tournament will be more interesting. ARM, AUS, NZ and Serbia will be playing each other and we can see much clearly who will get promoted.

IHF Member
    Australia are already 4-0 midway through the first period against Bulgaria.

And then went on to rout Bulgaria 16-0 as expected. Probably not expected was Ivan Velev's penalty at 29.37 for "Dangerous or Illegal Equipment." I wonder if this was a stick infraction or his helmet came off. Yavor Slavchev managed to get penalised at 0.00! Teodor Asenov is having a terrible time and it won't get any better as it seems he doesn't really have a backup.

Oh dear, Bulgaria, oh dear. 'Mila Rodino' will not be played during this tournament, that's for sure.

This game probally won't be much of a fight, NZL is already up 7-0 at the end of the 1st period. This is truly a 4 team tournament, AUS, ARM, NZL, and SRB are fighting for promtion while RSA, TUR and BUL are just fighting for respect.

NZL has eclisped the 20 goal mark for the 1st time in this tournament. Their currently up 20-1 agaisnt TUR with just under 4 minutes left in the game.

5:1 for serbia after two periods

10:1 Serbia

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information