12 48.00%
  • - HC Davos

1 4.00%
  • - Sparta Praha

0 0%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2008 European Champions Cup

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleBob View Post
    Did I mix something up or both finalists will participate in Victoria Cup? I thought that what was the deal: 2 teams from Europe, 1 from the NHL.
    Yes, this does ring a bell now....

We also discussed that it would be 2 European teams here: http://www.forums.internationalhocke...ead.php?t=5085 but there was some confusion over that. I guess we all somehow forgot this tid-bit in the meantime...
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Did I mix something up or both finalists will participate in Victoria Cup? I thought that what was the deal: 2 teams from Europe, 1 from the NHL.
    Every other source I have seen says it's going to be 2 European teams, every other 1 European team. There is no telling at the moment.

Just goes to show how "well" IIHF is handling these kind of things
    A similar issue is with the upcoming Champions League. How do you determine the 2nd participating team from top Euro leagues? Sometimes it is the regular season winner, sometimes the losing finalist etc. Maybe the leagues themselves can decide this but that either hasn't been made clear by the IIHF.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    A similar issue is with the upcoming Champions League. How do you determine the 2nd participating team from top Euro leagues? Sometimes it is the regular season winner, sometimes the losing finalist etc. Maybe the leagues themselves can decide this but that either hasn't been made clear by the IIHF.
    There was a tidbit that there will be an announcement on the Champions League today after the ECC Final.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

no streaming for today final?

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    no streaming for today final?
    found!

sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/22947

from today's IIHF site:

The winner will not only receive the Silver Stone Trophy as the best club team of Europe but will also participate in the Victoria Cup, a new competition between European and NHL challengers. The date, venue and format will be announced very soon. For the inaugural Victoria Cup on October 1, 2008, the ECC winner will be qualified.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles View Post
    There was a tidbit that there will be an announcement on the Champions League today after the ECC Final.
    This issue seems to have been sorted out prior to the ECC Final. :-)

From http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=50e1fd7f30

"The Czech Republic, Finland, Russia and Sweden will be represented by two teams: the national champion and the regular season winner. If the national champion has won both the playoffs and the regular season, the second-placed team of the regular season will be the second participant. Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland will take part with their national champion. The twelfth team is to be announced later."

1-0 metallurg

2.58 Jan marek on PP

1-1 after 1st period

Podlesak equalized for Sparta at 19.21, with a mistake of russian defence.

good game

2-1 metalllurg!
    Jan Marek again with a controversial goal but video replay seems confirm puck was in...

Metallurg MAG takes a 2-1 lead at the 26:19 with a pp goal from Jan Marek
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

It dosen't take lone for Sparta Prague to tie it up at 2-2 basically at the half way mark of the game.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

2-2 Sparta!!! on PP2 Jiri Vykoukal!!

3-2 metallurg! igor mirnov 39.00

3-2 Metallurg MAG on a sh goal from Igor Mirnov at 38:36

end of the 2nd period and it's been very close all game long, it should be a great 3rd period for the title.

IHF Staff
    Very interesting...from the IIHF article linked above:

Gazprom is happy to be part of this new competition and its Vice-President Alexander Medvedev points out that nothing will not be paid with government money. “Our investment does also respond but not conflict with our idea of the new Russian Open League,” Medvedev added.
    Thanks all you Russian citizens and tax pyers for bringing us the champions league of hockey!!

Metallurg - Sparta.

The game is a real final!

Good luck Magnitka in the 3rd period.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin Hobbes View Post
    This issue seems to have been sorted out prior to the ECC Final. :-)

From http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=50e1fd7f30

"The Czech Republic, Finland, Russia and Sweden will be represented by two teams: the national champion and the regular season winner. If the national champion has won both the playoffs and the regular season, the second-placed team of the regular season will be the second participant. Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland will take part with their national champion. The twelfth team is to be announced later."
    Either the issue still hasn't been sorted out or the Finnish press is really being thick-headed. http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/uu...asp?id=1475572

In this article it says that in the first season of CHL Finland will be represented by the two finalists. In the following seasons the regular season winner will get one of the spots.
    "Only if we lose."

Metallurg MAG makes it 4-2 with just a minute and a half to go. Metallurg is probally ready to celebrate, and the RUS dominace of this tournament contuines.

Just a minute later Metallurg MAG cements the title by making the score 5-2 with under a minute, it's celebration time in Metallurg.

Congrats to Metallurg MAG, 2008 ECC Champions

Here are the 2008 ECC final Rankings
    1: Metallurg MAG (RUS)
    2: Sparta Prague (CZE)
    3: Slovan Bratislava (SVK)
    4: Karpat Oulu (FIN)
    5: MODO Orns (SWE)
    6: HC Davos (SUI)

Russia

Heyyaaaa! We are the best!
    Salavat - green rockets!

Congrats to Magnitika and all russian hockey, guys you really rule in europe!!!

But chapeau also for Sparta, great final!

We are the champions !
    Ravil Gusmanov has won the best European team title for the 3rd time!

Want to thank Slovan and Sparta for their great game, they really wanted to win
    But Metallurg is the best

So, do both Metullurg and Sparta get to play the Montreal Canadiens, or only Metullurg?

And does Montreal use their real NHL roster, or use 1/2 Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL)???

We'll have to wait and see.

Sasu Hovi - Best Goaltender

No surprise to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    So, do both Metullurg and Sparta get to play the Montreal Canadiens, or only Metullurg?

And does Montreal use their real NHL roster, or use 1/2 Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL)???

We'll have to wait and see.
    The IIHF says the Victoria Cup is to be played on october 1st. So I presume it will be Metallurg and the NHL-team.
    Nederlandse IJshockey Bond
    www.nijb.nl

IHF Member
    Either the issue still hasn't been sorted out or the Finnish press is really being thick-headed. http://www.iltasanomat.fi/urheilu/uu...asp?id=1475572

In this article it says that in the first season of CHL Finland will be represented by the two finalists. In the following seasons the regular season winner will get one of the spots.
    This is Ilta Sanomat, of course. A tabloid paper to get whatever it takes to get a scoop. :-) Well, on the other side of the story we are talking about what IIHF says. And, well, IIHF is what it is... one day this ... the next something totally different... For whatever it is worth I'm going by the IIHF announcement over the Finnish press, but I guess you're right: let's see what happes after the cabinets have met...

And by the way: Congrats to Metallurg! Looking forward to seeing the team in Victoria Cup

This is Ilta Sanomat, of course. A tabloid paper to get whatever it takes to get a scoop. :-) Well, on the other side of the story we are talking about what IIHF says. And, well, IIHF is what it is... one day this ... the next something totally different... For whatever it is worth I'm going by the IIHF announcement over the Finnish press, but I guess you're right: let's see what happes after the cabinets have met...

And by the way: Congrats to Metallurg! Looking forward to seeing the team in Victoria Cup
    In addition Ilta Sanomat makes it sound like SM-Liiga can decide itself which way they choose the Finnish participants. Nothing like this has been mentioned by IIHF.

But enough of that. Congrats to Metallurg! I didn't see the game thanks to MTV3's stupid scheduling (summary will come after midnight). But what I will remember from this tournament are the great efforts of Sparta and Slovan. Hopefully they will continue them next year too.

BTW. Finland is still winning in one category. Best goalies. 2006 Niklas Bäckström (Kärpät), 2007 Mika Noronen (Ak Bars), 2008 Sasu Hovi (Slovan)
    I couldn't find who won the best goalie award in 2005...
    "Only if we lose."

IHF Member
    In addition Ilta Sanomat makes it sound like SM-Liiga can decide itself which way they choose the Finnish participants. Nothing like this has been mentioned by IIHF
    That's exactly what I meant when I said "let's see what happens after the cabinets have met..."

IIHF have set the rules. Now we wait for the arguments from federations.
    Last edited by Calvin Hobbes; 13-01-2008 at 21:29. Reason: Missing a letter

IHF Member
    Quote:
    Gazprom is happy to be part of this new competition and its Vice-President Alexander Medvedev points out that nothing will not be paid with government money. “Our investment does also respond but not conflict with our idea of the new Russian Open League,” Medvedev added.

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    Very interesting...from the IIHF article linked above:
    Thanks all you Russian citizens and tax pyers for bringing us the champions league of hockey!!
    I must have missed something unless you were being sarcastic. (BTW, that's the closest I get to a quizzical look: that one is missing in our smileys.)

Gazprom is funding hockey. While the Russian government may be filled up with people with connections to Gazprom, the article says that NO government money will be spent. OK, back to the fact if you indeed were sarcastic, I'll leave that to a debate.

Gazprom is funding hockey. While the Russian government may be filled up with people with connections to Gazprom, the article says that NO government money will be spent. OK, back to the fact if you indeed were sarcastic, I'll leave that to a debate.
    Actually it sais that "no government money will NOT be spent", indicating that all funding will be by government money.
    Frankly, I find it an absolutely hilarious misspeak (at least, i'm assuming the guy misspoke)

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Actually it sais that "no government money will NOT be spent", indicating that all funding will be by government money.
    Frankly, I find it an absolutely hilarious misspeak (at least, i'm assuming the guy misspoke)
    Now, if we are pedantic about it, it seems to me that "no government money will not be spent" means that, in fact, every single ruble of Russian governments money will be spent on this upcoming hockey league.

I am expecting pretty good prizes
    "Only if we lose."

IHF Member
    BTW. Finland is still winning in one category. Best goalies. 2006 Niklas Bäckström (Kärpät), 2007 Mika Noronen (Ak Bars), 2008 Sasu Hovi (Slovan)
    I couldn't find who won the best goalie award in 2005...
    Norm Maracle
    http://www.hockeyarchives.info/Europe2005.htm
    That's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise

IHF Staff
    It's all about the double negation...and my first comment on this was indeed sarcastic ;-)
    But if one is pedantic there's just one way to read it: every ruble of prize money (the part of the sum which is from Russian sources) comes from the government.

Very funny (probably Freudian?) misspeak from Mr. Medvedev

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    It's all about the double negation...and my first comment on this was indeed sarcastic ;-)
    But if one is pedantic there's just one way to read it: every ruble of prize money (the part of the sum which is from Russian sources) comes from the government.

Very funny (probably Freudian?) misspeak from Mr. Medvedev
    Steigs had phrased it differently.

"nothing will not be paid by government money" = all money comes from government

"no government money will NOT be spent" = all of government's money will go to the tournament

Though it is possible that Mr. Medvedev has spent considerable amounts of his life in Harlem in which case that phrase just means that government doesn't put any money into this tourney.
    "Only if we lose."

Congrats to Metallurg!
    Aqua jacta est

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    It's a translator's mistake.
    In Russian we use double negations while in English - single.
    So the correct translation is "no government money will be spent".

Russian government has 50% + 1 stock of Gazprom.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Quote Originally Posted by kedr View Post

Ahhh, and here I had assumed it was a missing comma (and so was right about the final meaning)

"no, government money will NOT be spent"

Interesting thing to know. The same thing goes for romanian, we use two negations.
    "It is hard to see a black cat in a dark room, especially when it isn't there."

IHF Member
    Croatian language also uses double negation.

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    Croatian language also uses double negation.
    I think it's common for all slavic languages.
    Salavat - green rockets!

I think it's common for all slavic languages.
    Compared to English which uses one negation, I wonder why the use of the double negation? In Slavic languages, is there a functional reason or something historic/linguistic for this? Just curious

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Also in italian language there are double negations. In French...similar too.
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    Compared to English which uses one negation, I wonder why the use of the double negation? In Slavic languages, is there a functional reason or something historic/linguistic for this? Just curious
    First tell us why English uses just one negation.
    Is there a functional reason or something historic/linguistic for this?
    Salavat - green rockets!

First tell us why English uses just one negation.
    Is there a functional reason or something historic/linguistic for this?
    Touche. Point taken. But apparently in English there was a decline (from Old and Middle English) in the use of multiple negations to that of the more common single ones that I referred to in Modern Englsih. Not sure why though...in english they're still used for for emphasis but that's why i asked about its use in slavic languages. I'm no social linguist so I have no idea. Proper grammar isn't just proper grammar - there are often reasons.
    Last edited by leftofcenter; 17-01-2008 at 12:07.

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    I'm no social linguist so I have no idea. Proper grammar isn't just proper grammar - there are often reasons.
    I do agree.

But don't expect much of linguistics from the hockey forum :)
    Personally, I have zero knowledge of why Slavic, Italian or French languages use double negations while English - single.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Highlights from the final game: Metallurg - Sparta

Enjoy

Part I

Part II

Part III

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information