12 48.00%
  • - HC Davos

1 4.00%
  • - Sparta Praha

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 European Champions Cup

scores and standings after day 2

MODO Orns 1 Slovan Bratislava 4 (1-0, 0-3, 0-1)

Sparta Prague 6 HC Davos 4 (1-2, 3-1, 2-1)

Group A
    #TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Metallurg MAG (RUS)100033-0
    2Slovan Bratislava (SVK)100034-1
    3MODO Orns (SWE)000201-7

Group B
    #TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Sparta Prague (CZE)2000611-7
    2Karpat Oulu (FIN)000103-5
    3HC Davos (SUI)000104-6

day 3 games
    Group A
    Slovan Bratislava-Metallurg Met
    Group B
    HC Davos-Karpat Oulu

Winner goes to final
    Clinched spot for final
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

as usual swedish team goes in St. Petersburg just to visit Hermitage......

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    as usual swedish team goes in St. Petersburg just to visit Hermitage......
    I suspect that after losing to the Russians on the opening day and basically having no chance of reaching the finals MODO lost their drive altogether. Similar thing happened last year to Färjestad after losing their first game.

I know this is a long shot but it would be cool if Slovan managed another victory tomorrow giving us a totally new kind of a final game.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    About summaries: strange, on my PC they appear indexed properly. What's wrong with them?
    He means the search engines doesn't index them properly. When e.g. Google indexes our page it needs spaces to seperate the words properly.

If that makes sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    While you're at, you may also call Britannica and ask them to show respect for the Ural dwellers too. They made the same "mistake" as I did.
    well that's not a surprise for me.
    all that britannica is capable of is providing some true facts about ben navis :)
    but when it comes to distant and mysterious 'siberia' it sucks
    i'm joking of course but it's no joke in case of magnitogorsk and its geographical location.
    Life is a game

Yep, the Swedish club's up to their old tricks..... lame.

If Metullurg happens to win the ECC and the right to play in the Victoria Cup, the NHL should replace Montreal with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

THAT would probably guaranty that both sides play hard, eh?

What the NHL SHOULD do is send teh Stanley Cup champion... but we all know they're too bloody arrogant to take the chance that their top club lose to the European champion...

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    What the NHL SHOULD do is send teh Stanley Cup champion... but we all know they're too bloody arrogant to take the chance that their top club lose to the European champion...
    I agree with you it should be the Stanley Cup champion against the European champion but it is to risky for the NHL to do that. The European champion would have everything to gain and nothing to lose really and vice-versa for the NHL. But there is no denying that the NHL is the best league in the world. With that said it doesn't mean that on any given day that the European champion could not defeat any NHL club. I for one think that the caliber of hockey in Europe is extremely high and I would love to see games broadcast here in Canada. I am a big fan of European leagues I follow the DEL, Elitserien, SM-Liiga, RSL, Czech Extraliga and the Swiss League it's great hockey

Quote Originally Posted by ottsens71 View Post
    I agree with you it should be the Stanley Cup champion against the European champion but it is to risky for the NHL to do that. The European champion would have everything to gain and nothing to lose really and vice-versa for the NHL. But there is no denying that the NHL is the best league in the world. With that said it doesn't mean that on any given day that the European champion could not defeat any NHL club. I for one think that the caliber of hockey in Europe is extremely high and I would love to see games broadcast here in Canada. I am a big fan of European leagues I follow the DEL, Elitserien, SM-Liiga, RSL, Czech Extraliga and the Swiss League it's great hockey
    I don't want to start an argument here, but do you really think that the NHL team that wins the cup would be beaten by the European champion? The only way is in a one game scenario. Like Marc I have a hate/little love relationship with the NHL but am realistic about it. The NHL has scooped (for whatever reason) most of the elite players from all the hockey countries - this factor in itself sets up an unfair situation.

I'd love to see it a tournament of best against best. Better yet I'd love to see the European champion win - but I just don't see it happening.

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    I don't want to start an argument here, but do you really think that the NHL team that wins the cup would be beaten by the European champion? The only way is in a one game scenario. Like Marc I have a hate/little love relationship with the NHL but am realistic about it. The NHL has scooped (for whatever reason) most of the elite players from all the hockey countries - this factor in itself sets up an unfair situation.

I'd love to see it a tournament of best against best. Better yet I'd love to see the European champion win - but I just don't see it happening.
    Likewise, but if the Euro champ does compete and a Stanley Cup champ doesn't, then we might well see an upset, and that IMO would truly be great for hockey. That's what the NHL seems to be afraid of.
    I have no respect for that league... some clubs try and do the right things, but the league itself is a gongshow, and if it's afraid to send its best to compete against the rest of the world's best, then what was the point of agreeing to the Victoria Cup anyway?

If you want the European champion to win, have the New York Rangers play instead of Montreal. Trust me, the Rangers would lose. They can't beat anyone for the past several weeks, and they look absolutely awful during that stretch of time. Lately, they're worse than the Toronto Maple Leafs, and that should tell you something.

:-(

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    If you want the European champion to win, have the New York Rangers play instead of Montreal. Trust me, the Rangers would lose. They can't beat anyone for the past several weeks, and they look absolutely awful during that stretch of time. Lately, they're worse than the Toronto Maple Leafs, and that should tell you something.

:-(
    I'd love to send 'em except for one little problem: there's no way in hell they'll win the Cup this year

No, I am not saying that the European champ would beat the NHL champ but you never know it's one game remember Lake Placid 1980? It's easy to say that the European champion would have no chance against the NHL champion but I am not 100% sure about that. Like I said before yes the NHL is the best league in the world but in a one game situation everything is possible. But I am realistic also and I know that the NHL would win more often then not, but I also know that it would be very competitive hockey nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by ottsens71 View Post
    No, I am not saying that the European champ would beat the NHL champ but you never know it's one game remember Lake Placid 1980? It's easy to say that the European champion would have no chance against the NHL champion but I am not 100% sure about that. Like I said before yes the NHL is the best league in the world but in a one game situation everything is possible. But I am realistic also and I know that the NHL would win more often then not, but I also know that it would be very competitive hockey nonetheless.
    I see your points. But I don't think the NHL is afraid of losing - it's worse than that. I think they're clueless about other leagues and the importance of these tournaments outside of NA. I reckon the only reason they agreed to send a team was to increase interest and bolster their strategy of setting up an NHL in Europe. Apart from scouting for players by teams, the NHL really doesn't see beyond it's own collective nose.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of the NHL but being socialized to it growing up and appreciative of its quality, I keep track of it even if I don't have a favourite team. I'm more a fan of hockey and tend to watch local games wherever and whenever I can. Of course I live to play the game more than any other aspect of it.

I see your points. But I don't think the NHL is afraid of losing - it's worse than that. I think they're clueless about other leagues and the importance of these tournaments outside of NA. I reckon the only reason they agreed to send a team was to increase interest and bolster their strategy of setting up an NHL in Europe. Apart from scouting for players by teams, the NHL really doesn't see beyond it's own collective nose.

For the record, I'm not a big fan of the NHL but being socialized to it growing up and appreciative of its quality, I keep track of it even if I don't have a favourite team. I'm more a fan of hockey and tend to watch local games wherever and whenever I can. Of course I live to play the game more than any other aspect of it.
    You know what if I could fallow any European leagues on television here in Canada I would lost interest in the NHL real fast. I can't see why I am not able to subscribe to any sports channel in Europe after all this 2008 and I should be able to have the opportunity to watch anything I want. And I do agree with you on several point.

IHF Member
    I think Elitserien games are still available - worldwide ? - in HD on Canal+(Sweden) website if you want to subscribe.
    That's the way it crumbles, cookie-wise

So nobody has voted for Sparta and they are the 1st team in the final. He-he.

Of course they still won't win it anyway. Magnitka will see to that !

Decisive Metallurg - Slovan game is started...no chance to watch it on streaming?

IHF Prospect putting on the foil's Avatar

Are you talking about Gary Buttman or Geroge W.!!!

17.24 of 1st period: 1-0 Slovan! Marek Uram

1-0 Slovan after 2 periods. Metullurg is outshooting them 26-9, though.

Woohoo! Hang in there Sasu! 20 minutes to go!

It's going to be very tough if the shot ratio stays the same.

EDIT: 1-1 in the third period with about 6 minutes to play. Igor Korolev scored the tying goal on a power play 8 minutes into the period.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 12-01-2008 at 19:32. Reason: Deep into the third period now.

Overtime has satrted!

So Kärpät beat Davos 6-1 in their final game of the tournament. I only managed to watch the last two periods in a summary broadcast but it seemed Kärpät was clearly the better team. Maybe Davos was tired after yesterday's game and the flu problems.

As for the other game, GO Slovan! They are the biggest positive surprise of this tournament. Maybe the Slovakian league is underrated?

BTW. It would be very difficult for the IIHF to leave Slovakia without two spots in the upcoming Champions League (as discussed elsewhere) if they reach the final.

EDIT: End of overtime. Penalty shots will follow...
    "Only if we lose."

Penalty shots are ahead.

How ended?

hasn't ended yet:)

tell us what's is happenening!!

Metallurg won!!!!

Metallurg won according to stupid IIHF livescore

Deciseive shot by Kaigorodov!!!

Alexei Kaigorodov scores teh game-winning penalty-shot.
    Metallurg to the final.

Damn, Slovan almost pulled off a big upset and almost set up what would have been a very interesting final.

But, congrats to Metullurg; they got it done in the end.

The ECC has yet to be claimed by anything other than a Russian team, and Sparta Prague will need a big upset to change that.

Plus, the Russians have dominated the Continental Cup for the past three or four years in a row.

I'll be very surprised if Metullurg loses.

Mezin has replaced Scott for penalty shots serie:)

Mezin is a really top notch goalie. I'm surprised he never ended up in the NHL.

Damn, Slovan almost pulled off a big upset and almost set up what would have been a very interesting final.

But, congrats to Metullurg; they got it done in the end.

The ECC has yet to be claimed by anything other than a Russian team, and Sparta Prague will need a big upset to change that.

Plus, the Russians have dominated the Continental Cup for the past three or four years in a row.

I'll be very surprised if Metullurg loses.
    Metallurg is the favorite but I think Sparta has a chance too. Metallurg showed today that they are not invincible and Sparta has had a rest day today. In any case I am rooting for the Czechs, because of Petr Ton if not for any other reason.

Russian teams have won the Continental cup twice in the last three years. Anyway, that tournament is barely better a yard stick for league strength than regular exhibition games.

PS. Finnish goalie Sasu Hovi had a great game for Slovan tonight. 39 saves and only one goal! Scott in the other end only had 10 saves...
    "Only if we lose."

I think Metullurg will win.

In a way, I'd love to see Sparta pull off the upset, because I love underdogs.

However, I really think that if Sparta wins, Montreal will play like they're asleep in the Victoria Cup - they would likely give zero effort.

If Metullurg wins, Montreal, while still likely treating the Victoria Cup as an exhibition that they are being forced to participate in, MIGHT wake up for a Russian team.

... if Sparta wins, Montreal will play like they're asleep in the Victoria Cup - they would likely give zero effort.

If Metullurg wins, Montreal, while still likely treating the Victoria Cup as an exhibition that they are being forced to participate in, MIGHT wake up for a Russian team.
    I tend to agree with that. Some kind of the soviet-canada superseries of the old kind past might be still fresh in the minds of the Montreal players.

Well, I don't think so much for the players.....today's NHL players come from all over the world. Heck, Kovalev has been here 15+ years.

But it's been a long time since NHL teams played Russian teams. Perhaps that might interest certain fans in North America, despite the fact that most know the majority of the best Russian players are now in the NHL. The Montreal players might wake up and compete if the fans were really into the games and gave a good atmosphere because of the excitement of the matchup. I doubt many North American fans (other than me, LOL) would be interested to see Sparta Prague.

By the way, guys, was this year Continental Cup tournament the last one? I mean, when new CHL will be launched, will the other teams will involved in CC?

Quote Originally Posted by Aldair View Post
    By the way, guys, was this year Continental Cup tournament the last one? I mean, when new CHL will be launched, will the other teams will involved in CC?
    I believe CC and ECC are both to be replaced by CHL.
    Nederlandse IJshockey Bond
    www.nijb.nl

Well, I don't think so much for the players.....today's NHL players come from all over the world. Heck, Kovalev has been here 15+ years.

But it's been a long time since NHL teams played Russian teams. Perhaps that might interest certain fans in North America, despite the fact that most know the majority of the best Russian players are now in the NHL. The Montreal players might wake up and compete if the fans were really into the games and gave a good atmosphere because of the excitement of the matchup. I doubt many North American fans (other than me, LOL) would be interested to see Sparta Prague.
    Isn't Victoria Cup going to be played somewhere in Europe? In that case it doesn't really matter what the North American fans think of the matchup (in terms of arena atmosphere). Most probably the game is played in one the big arenas in Central Europe (Bern?) in which case Czech team might bring up a better atmosphere (more fans would show up). But still I think the game should be played in the home arena (or at least country) of the European club. That way the atmosphere would be guaranteed to be top notch.

BTW. Sazka Arena would be the perfect place for the game, in case Sparta qualifies.
    "Only if we lose."

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldair View Post
    Deciseive shot by Kaigorodov!!!
    Penalty shots:
    Hujsa 1:0
    Kudrna X
    Uram X
    Marek X
    Kapuš X
    Kajgorodov 1:1
    Kajgorodov 1:2
    Hujsa X

They should definitely play in the home arena of whomever wins the ECC.

They won't - but they should.

scores and final group standings

HC Davos 1 Karpat Oulu 6 (0-1, 1-3, 0-2)

Slovan Bratislava 1 Metallurg MAG 2 (so) (1-0, 0-0, 0-1, 0-0, 0-1)

Group A
    #TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Metallurg MAG (RUS)110055-1
    2Slovan Bratislava (SVK)101045-3
    3MODO Orns (SWE)000201-7

Group B
    #TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Sparta Prague (CZE)2000611-7
    2Karpat Oulu (FIN)100139-6
    3HC Davos (SUI)000205-12

ECC Final
    Sparta Prague VS. Metallurg MAG
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Again, here there is teh little review of the third day i wrote for eurohockey http://www.eurohockey.net/news/story...daythreereport
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Did I mix something up or both finalists will participate in Victoria Cup? I thought that what was the deal: 2 teams from Europe, 1 from the NHL.

Here is the source:
    The Victoria Cup will be competed for on an annual basis beginning September 2008. It will be a three-team competition, two teams from Europe and one from the NHL.
    http://www.eurohockey.net/news/story...eanvictoriacup

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information