Thread: DEL-NHL thoughts

DEL-NHL thoughts

I watched the Krefeld Pinguine versus Frankfurt Lions game last night in Krefeld and thought I'd pass on a couple of thoughts about the game and some striking differences between DEL (and possibly European style) versus NHL style. The game was perfect except for the loss by Krefeld. Final score 4-3 for Frankfurt in penalty shots.

The game as great and the fans a really pleasant surpise especially since the game was being broadcast on Premiere channel so numbers were apparently down from normal. Also, I was told that Krefeld has good fan support for DEL and it showed in the 3000 people there - of course the diehard fans were out in full force making the building pretty loud.

While the game is different from what I'm used to, I thought there were a couple of big differences. Obviously the contact part of the game - where the fans saw penalties I saw good hits (the ref thought so too as the calls were pretty good). LOTS more stick work than I'm used to seeing in North America. But the biggest difference was the speed. The game is quite a bit slower than NHL even when I watched the best players looking for someone to blow by the defence on the outside or go inside at top speed. I never saw it. This kind of surpised me because of the guys I play with, thioer skating is really good so I expectedto see a faster game on the DEL ice.

The goal tenders were small and butterflyers so upstairs shots were much more effective. Lots of DEL players from Canada are smaller sized as 5-10 years ago that made a huge difference in making it big in NA.

I never tired of hearing the name "Brian Maloney" chanted out in German (just doesn't work but the fans seemed to like it). "Boris Blank", on the other hand sounds like a great hockey name to me.

Overall, great fan support and really loud. The Canadian game, as much as they try to make it an NBA basketball "show" is more a sit back and watch/analyze the game and then cheer when the home team scores affair. Even clapping for good saves from the other goalie. The DEL game sounded like being at a never ending scorefest. My wife was always asking what happened as the fans thought something was happening and made it seem so. Also, it was nice to be on the bus and train home with youth fans who play the game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    But the biggest difference was the speed. The game is quite a bit slower than NHL even when I watched the best players looking for someone to blow by the defence on the outside or go inside at top speed. I never saw it. This kind of surpised me because of the guys I play with, thioer skating is really good so I expectedto see a faster game on the DEL ice.
    Remember, Krefeld's ice plant is wider than the NHL's (100 feet vs 85 feet). It is amazing the difference that that 15 feet makes. Even if players skate at the same speed, the NHL will feel faster due to the visually smaller surface. However, I also think that speed is less important on the larger ice surfaces as it is not always a good idea to go round the outside because of how much further from the net that takes you compared to North American-sized ice.

I'd also watch a few games before building a picture of German ice hockey. I watched Krefeld play Kassel at the old Rheinehalle and the game was awful; slow with no intensity. However, I've seen other German games which were full of life. So, I'd just beware of small sample sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    Overall, great fan support and really loud. The Canadian game, as much as they try to make it an NBA basketball "show" is more a sit back and watch/analyze the game and then cheer when the home team scores affair. Even clapping for good saves from the other goalie. The DEL game sounded like being at a never ending scorefest. My wife was always asking what happened as the fans thought something was happening and made it seem so. Also, it was nice to be on the bus and train home with youth fans who play the game as well.
    Although I think this is true of Europe in general when compared to North America, this is where German hockey leads the world for me. Outstanding atmosphere, although there are times when it can go too far and turn pretty ugly. But it is closer to a football (soccer) mentality than a North American ice hockey mentality.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Thread Information