Thread: Euro Hockey Tour should expand to help 2nd tier nations

IHF Member

IHWC Euro Hockey Tour should expand to help 2nd tier nations

The Euro Hockey Tour could be expanded to 8 teams in some seasons. Switzerland and Slovakia try to enter and plan with Germany and Latvia to complete 8 teams. These four federations are already playing against in friendly tournaments. After the plans there would be two tournaments each in November, December, February and April with a mix of the "top 4" and the "next 4" in each tournament. Additions could to the actual Euro Hockey Tour could be: Deutschland Cup (November in Hannover/GER), Loto Cup (December in Bratislava/SVK), Skoda Cup (February in Basel/SUI) and a new tournament in Riga (LAT). There is some interest in the "top 4" not to play all the time against the same teams and there will be a roundtable between the 8 federations in Munich end of this month.

Source: http://www.hockeyfans.ch/background/070210.htm

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by martin View Post
    The Euro Hockey Tour could be expanded to 8 teams in some seasons. Switzerland and Slovakia try to enter and plan with Germany and Latvia to complete 8 teams. These four federations are already playing against in friendly tournaments. After the plans there would be two tournaments each in November, December, February and April with a mix of the "top 4" and the "next 4" in each tournament. Additions could to the actual Euro Hockey Tour could be: Deutschland Cup (November in Hannover/GER), Loto Cup (December in Bratislava/SVK), Skoda Cup (February in Basel/SUI) and a new tournament in Riga (LAT). There is some interest in the "top 4" not to play all the time against the same teams and there will be a roundtable between the 8 federations in Munich end of this month.

That would be great for the Euro Hockey Tour. I know alot of Europeans I've talked with have been getting bored with the EHT lately and something like this could spark interest. 4 teams playing eachother all the time does get old.

I don't think the four EHT countries are interested. They have just concluded a 4-year deal. Btw, Denmark and Norway has also pressured Sweden and Finland to enter the EHT, and the two Nordic EHT countries have agreed "in principle". So if -- IF - the format is changed, look out for a further expansion.

Hm...Excuse me...Hm...You know which country I mean... If they will creat this expanded EHT without Belarus - I will suicide on that day :013: :rant:

Well, hopefuly (for me :devileek: ) that Belarus will be rated higher that each of this 4 teams (SLO, GER, LAT and SWI) after this WC to prevent speculations about who really deserves to be invited :ignore: :blah:

To be honest, I would see nothing wrong if one of the EHT tournaments could be expanded to gather more nations. Say around Christmas, for example. Would be a step back to those days when Izvestija used to be something big.

It'd also train these lesser countries in the long run, as we'd certainly see some interesting upsets as these teams could compete with their best material against the big ones who don't have their NHL stars in the roster.

Plus, it'd also help the big countries' European material to play with more heart (look at flegmatic Finland from SHG for example). There would certainly be more at stake, because it's still somewhat a shame for a top-4 country to lose to an underdog, no matter do they have their A- or B-class players available.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by aldair1808 View Post
    Hm...Excuse me...Hm...You know which country I mean... If they will creat this expanded EHT without Belarus - I will suicide on that day :013: :rant:

Well, hopefuly (for me :devileek: ) that Belarus will be rated higher that each of this 4 teams (SLO, GER, LAT and SWI) after this WC to prevent speculations about who really deserves to be invited :ignore: :blah:
    Who cares about BLR. It's a lesser hockey nation :devileek:

Btw, at the last Nordic meeting it was discussed to expand the EHT to 8 teams with a relegation/promotion format (qualification tournament, say EIHC)

Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    Who cares about BLR. It's a lesser hockey nation :devileek:
    :crying: :crying: You have broken my heart.....:( Well, let's wait for the proof till closest WC : :hockey1:

Btw, Kartsen, two friendly games between Norway and Belarus will be played just before WC: one in Minsk, second in another place, still undetermined.

IHF Member
    Its all about money. LGHG(former Sweden hockeygames) are all about money. It worked well to invited Canada and I think it will work well to invited Slovakia. Many of the older sweden hockey fans still think it Czechslovakia so it dosent matter mutch if it is Slovakia or the Czech.republic Tre kronor plays.:003: (funny but I do not joke).

But a good question are if Slovakia are number five in Europe whit out its NHL-players? I think Switzerland maybe are stronger if we only use Europeen players in the teams. I think allsso it have workt good whit Switzerland, Switzerland are allmost as strong as the top teams, and are fun to watch. Switzerland are in Sweden allmost recognised as one of the big.

Belarus? I dont know, allmost equal to Slovakia and Switzerland but still not Recognized to be equal. I dont think Belarus can sell ticets in Sweden. The lost in the 2002 OG are recognized as the worst disaster all sports in the history of Sweden sports. Belarus will get recognized in the future if the team continued to do well in IHWC and OG:s.

Germany, why take Germany? Switzerland and Slovakia are stronger. The only thing I can think of are sponsors, if Germany are invited maybe som big Germany sponsor can sign up whit EHT.

Latvia? Play a very funny hockey to watch but Slovakia and Switzerland are a bit stronger. I think Latvia will struggle for a couple of years before the new strong generation are ready.

Danmark and Norway? Why cant we start to invited the danish and norwegian champions to the Nordic trophy in August? Its enought whit three teams from Sweden and Finland, and its good for the champions from Norway and Denmark to test them self against Europes finest teams.

I gave more thought to the "bigger EHT" and here's what I came up with...

One of the tournaments, most likely Rosno, (yet the games could be played all around Europe) gets expanded to a 7-team tournament. This way, it becomes double lengthy to each team, as they'll have to play against six opponents instead of three.

How would it be determined which seven countries then would enter this "Super EHT"? First of all, the four current EHT countries would ranked an automatic entry, naturally. The rest wishing to enter would then qualify, either by simple series between themselves, or...

Russia
    Czech
    Sweden
    Finland

Nordic qualification group
    Denmark
    Norway
    (Iceland?)
    -----------
    Winner goes to SEHT

Middle Europe QG
    Slovakia
    Switzerland
    Latvia
    Germany
    (Italy? Austria?)
    ----------
    Winner and second go to SEHT

No divisions, a simple series. Only games played against another "full EHT" country counts towards the rest of the EHT, though, but every game naturally counts in the standings of this individual tournament.

I wouldn't mind watching it like this. Would certainly be a step up from regular European mid-season hockey.
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aldair1808 View Post

As I heard it could be a financial problem for Belarus to participate in so many tournaments. The federation doesn't seem to have the best reputation to the others. Another thing is that at least Germany, Switzerland and Latvia have the better arena conditions.

As I heard it could be a financial problem for Belarus to participate in so many tournaments. The federation doesn't seem to have the best reputation to the others. Another thing is that at least Germany, Switzerland and Latvia have the better arena conditions.
    That's right in general but:

first - New arena in Minsk will be comppleted in less than two years and it promises to be one oof the best in Europe.

Second - I can't believe that money can be a problem. Belarus fedeartion is more rich than Latvian I think, (as latvian even couldn't participate in BOL this year - but maybe here it's all about private sponsors) and also, when they want to participate in russian superliga - that means they have enough finances to play in such expensive tournament..

IHF Member
    National team and club hockey are two different things. I have the impression that the Belarus expenses for the national team are one of the lowest on IHWC level. Other nations have games in September, November, December, February and April as a preparation. Federations as those of Belarus or Kazakhstan save money in such friendly tournament by not participating too much which is considered as a risk in the view of the tournament organisators.

National team and club hockey are two different things. I have the impression that the Belarus expenses for the national team are one of the lowest on IHWC level. Other nations have games in September, November, December, February and April as a preparation. Federations as those of Belarus or Kazakhstan save money in such friendly tournament by not participating too much which is considered as a risk in the view of the tournament organisators.
    No, your impression is wrong. During every internationl break Belarus has preparatory game, but not necesarry in EIHC tournamets. The federation isn't satisfacted with IEHC level; for tournaments like Skoda or Loto Cup they are not intited, so the must to find alterantives, such as were friendly games with Czech Republic national team. And you will agree for sure, that one game woth a team from Top-6 worth more than 2games with average europe teams.

About Kazakhstan, howewer, you are right - the almost don't play friendlies during the season, only before WC. This year they played weakest Asian games only.

IHF Member
    The big four can invited the teams 5-8 in the IIHF rankings. Each team are inviteted to one tournament. Czech.republic invited Slovakia, Finland invited Latvia. Russia invited Belarus and Sweden invited Switzerland.

I think this is the best solution to the problem and gives the nation 5-8 a better chans to clouse the gap to the top four.

Why should Sweden invite Switzerland if the others invite close countries think Sweden would invite Norway then but prefer Denmark, any news in this thread would like to see another team playing EHT but could be to many games though maybe draws could be make which ones play which ones each EHT season like 4 teams X 4 teams in 2 groups..

2009/2010

A
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Russia
    Slovakia

B
    Finland
    Czech Republic
    Germany
    Austria/Latvia/ ?

Sweden plays 4 tournaments X 3 games the winner in each group end of the year plays the other winner. then next year its completely different opponents in each group This is the greatest idea ever i believe
    though i dont know if Slovakia federation can afford or .. i know for sure Germany , Switzerland and Austria could!

tell me your thoughts about this

I know posted this idea for the Swedish icehockey federation to consider and bring up the idea with the other federations such as Finland, Russia and Czech Republic to discuss in meetings or something.,. cause as we seen in club vs club Swizz , German teams etc have beaten other countries in europe before like finnish and swedish teams

Well, it would definitely be great. Nothing against the Swiss but playing them every time that the NT plays a game is absolutely boring.

But I don´t think that the EHT will actually change. The top 4 won´t let anyone between themselves. They just keep playing each other from the very start at the U16 level. And threfore Slovakia, Switzerland and Germany keep on playing with each other from the U16 level, I can´t speak for the Swiss and the Germans, but the lack of playing stronger opponents has definitely not helped in the decrease of Slovak junior teams.

I know that the Slovak National teams including only European players weren´t competitive, but that has changed a lot with the KHL.

Thread Information