Thread: Live Game

IHF Member

Live Game

Next weekend Skautafelag Akureyrar will go to Reykjavík to play 2 games against Bjorninn.
    1 game will be on friday and the 2 game on sunday. 2 game will be live on TV and i think u guys can watch it here.
    http://dagskra.ruv.is/streaming/sjon...rom=2008-02-13

you just click íshokki beint.

The game is at 15:00 icelandic time.

IHF Member
    uppsssss my mistake. you need to click on 17th on the calander to the right.

Nice, should be fun to watch!

IHF Prospect

Iceland It will be a great day tomorrow

This is the second live-game that is shown on TV (RUV) here in Iceland. Just today there was a article in one of the newspapers where Ed Maggiacomo is giving the Icelandic ice-hockey a bad review, not the game itself or the playing but the surroundings and the enviorment in whole regarding how few ice-rinks and bad practice hours (late at night) are not helping in developing good hockeyplayers. All good comments and needed to be said. He is leaving Iceland after this season to take it eazy and playing golf back home in Canada.

But tomorrow will be a good day and I will be commentating on the game so it will be my voice you will hear blabberin on the mic. Also the refferee is going to be miced-up.

stay-tuned.... the link is here above.... I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HelgiPall View Post
    This is the second live-game that is shown on TV (RUV) here in Iceland. Just today there was a article in one of the newspapers where Ed Maggiacomo is giving the Icelandic ice-hockey a bad review, not the game itself or the playing but the surroundings and the enviorment in whole regarding how few ice-rinks and bad practice hours (late at night) are not helping in developing good hockeyplayers. All good comments and needed to be said. He is leaving Iceland after this season to take it eazy and playing golf back home in Canada.

But tomorrow will be a good day and I will be commentating on the game so it will be my voice you will hear blabberin on the mic. Also the refferee is going to be miced-up.

stay-tuned.... the link is here above.... I think.
    Great! good luck for your work tomorrow! Give us a salute from the mic!
    How do you think about Maggiacomo analisys? It's correct? Any solution?

IHF Prospect
    The things that Ed talked about in the article are things that we have been dealing with for a long time. The rinks, in Reykjavik, are run semi-privately and that sometimes causes problems with ice times and things like that. But in whole, the article is a good critic on the ways it has been done. The solution to this is more ice-rinks, one is likely to rise in Hafnarfjörður in the next two years, and more public awareness about the sport. And we are trying to do that with this broadcast tomorrow and I hope that it will be a good game both for the teams and for the spectators.

I missed the game on Sunday afternoon - thought it was in the evening. Did anyone watch it? How did the play look (and play by play man sound)?

I watched almost all the game, despite a bad signal (but probably was my pc connection).
    I was surprised by the level of game, pretty good, much better then my expectations from an Icelendic league game. Skautafelag Akureyrar won 3-12 and was cleary stronger then Bjorninn. Also the crowd was quite noisy. Good broadcast by HelgiPall: he was a bit shy at begin but become familiar during the game. Recording was good and also graphics with line-ups really professional.
    I really hope Iceland TV will continue broadcasting hockey.

@ HelgiPall: my compliments!!! Plese keep us informed about future games

BTW: Icelandic federation site launched a live update service but seems always off:

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    I watched almost all the game, despite a bad signal (but probably was my pc connection).
    I was surprised by the level of game, pretty good, much better then my expectations from an Icelendic league game. Skautafelag Akureyrar won 3-12 and was cleary stronger then Bjorninn. Also the crowd was quite noisy. Good broadcast by HelgiPall: he was a bit shy at begin but become familiar during the game. Recording was good and also graphics with line-ups really professional.
    I really hope Iceland TV will continue broadcasting hockey.

@ HelgiPall: my compliments!!! Plese keep us informed about future games

BTW: Icelandic federation site launched a live update service but seems always off:
    Would've loved to have been in the crowd... I hope I get a chance to catch the next game if it gets online.

The game was entertaining to watch, and thank you for posting it. I really enjoyed it.

Skating and stick handling were roughly at a U.S.A. NCAA Division III / U.S.A. Junior A level for the most part, although a couple of players were even better. Very strong, and very surprising.

Team systems play and zone coverage, as well as passing (giving and receiving), were roughly at a U.S.A. intercollegiate club / U.S.A. Junior B / top end U.S.A. men's beer league level for the most part, although again, a few players stood out as better. Good respectable hockey.

Goaltending and shotmaking were weak, no better than weak U.S.A. intercollegiate club / weak U.S.A. Junior B / better than average U.S.A. men's beer league level. I was very surprised that none of the players on either team had any real power or speed on their shots, especially given that several of the players were terrific skaters and stickhandlers.

On the whole, it is very difficult to compare their level of play to North America, but I'd argue, based upon what I watched, that mid-level American intercollegiate club teams, strong American Junior B teams, and top end American men's beer league teams would be good matchups for the Icelandic clubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    The game was entertaining to watch, and thank you for posting it. I really enjoyed it.

Skating and stick handling were roughly at a U.S.A. NCAA Division III / U.S.A. Junior A level for the most part, although a couple of players were even better. Very strong, and very surprising.

Team systems play and zone coverage, as well as passing (giving and receiving), were roughly at a U.S.A. intercollegiate club / U.S.A. Junior B / top end U.S.A. men's beer league level for the most part, although again, a few players stood out as better. Good respectable hockey.

Goaltending and shotmaking were weak, no better than weak U.S.A. intercollegiate club / weak U.S.A. Junior B / better than average U.S.A. men's beer league level. I was very surprised that none of the players on either team had any real power or speed on their shots, especially given that several of the players were terrific skaters and stickhandlers.

On the whole, it is very difficult to compare their level of play to North America, but I'd argue, based upon what I watched, that mid-level American intercollegiate club teams, strong American Junior B teams, and top end American men's beer league teams would be good matchups for the Icelandic clubs.
    Nice to see a personal-based comparison like this - I'll let you know what I think compared to the Canadian system when/if I get a chance to watch icelandic hockey in action. Not that it's valuable for anything other than general interest.

IHF Prospect
    Excelent new evrybody! There are now negotiations between the Icelandic Tevevision (RUV) and the Icelanic Icehockey Federation about showing one or more final-games here in the Icelandic legue. And also there are some discussions about next season. So who knows maybe there will be some ice-hockey on a regular basis next season.... exciting times.

That would really be something. Hockey on national television in Iceland, great.

So if Ed is leaving the IIHF, who is going to backfilling that position? I'd had some prior discussions with him about the prospect of coming over to Iceland to help out (guest coach), their goaltenders. Anyone that's played the game at a high level knows that you've got to develop programs from the back - out.
    Anyone with any connections or people I should be talking too, let me know.

Thread Information