Thread: 70th anniversary of CAN-HUN 1-1

IHF Member

Hungary 70th anniversary of CAN-HUN 1-1

Exactly 70 years ago, on 18. february, 1938 happened what was the biggest succes in Hungarian hockey history for decades. On the World Championships in Prague Team Hungary played a 1-1 draw as an equal opponent against Canada.

The previous matches did not show that something similar can happen. Newspapers didn't mention Hungary as a team which has a chance for a good final position. On the only preparation match Hungary was even not able to win over unexperienced Latvia on a very disappointing game. The match ended with a draw.

From the qualification round the team went further with wins over Romania and Lithuania and losses against Switzerland and Poland. The next opponent was Germany whichonly won with an irregular goal. Players prepared very disappointed against Canada after this match.

9000 spectators have seen the match. Hungary started with Hircsák in the net, and with Jeney, Barcza, Háray, Miklós and Róna. Pálfalvy, Margó and Szamos were the Hungarian substitutes and the coach was Géza Lator. Canada took the lead through McReavy in the 7th minute of the first period, but in the 14th minute Miklós was simply faster than Marshall, passed the puck to Róna, who shot from an unbelievable angle and somehow scored. Canada tried everything after that but they were simply not able to get through the Hungarians. At the end Róna had a great chance but exactly in the moment of the shoot the defender slapped him on his mouth.

A standing ovation greeted the team after the match. Hungary was eliminated, but the draw against the reigning world champion was the best result of the Hungarian ice-hockey. Delighted players jubiled the result, Hungary finished 7th at the end.

IHF Member
    Hello Kerusz!

Indeed a great thing at the time, also in general in the whole European hockey of the 1930's!

But don't be modest;

if people interested in hockey's future would have to have made bets on the future medal winning team, they would have definitely have more bets on Hungary than the Finns of the time!

All the best
    Jukka

Really cool. Who would have ever even thought this was possible for a team outside of US and possibly GB. Amazing.
    "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

IHF Prospect
    who was the captain(C) for Team Hungary in 1938?

Thread Information