Thread: Photos from Doha - Qatar Ice Rinks

Photos from Doha - Qatar Ice Rinks

Hi,

Sorry for the long delays, here are some photos of the ice rinks in Doha, well there are two actually and are both decent sized and located both in different shopping malls:). Whilst I was there was hoping to catch a training and see if I could get to speak to the players, but never did see them there, bad timing from my part I guess:) Anywhoo enjoy the photos:).

The second photo is from The Villagio shopping mall, which was more busier. It is the newest ice rink, and as you can see from the photo there is a good interest. I have been told that the Hockey matches and trainings take place in the 1st Ice rink.. Not bad for a small city:)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Guildford Flames until the end! :)

GUILDFORD FLAMES EPL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS 2007- 2008

GUILDFORD FLAMES EPL CUP CHAMPIONS 2009 -2010:c032:

GUILDFORD FLAMES 2010-2011 EPL PLAYOFF CHAMPIONS:-)

IHF Prospect
    Haha!

my uncle who is a project manager in Qatar wreckons that where all expat perverts go to spy on little children at that rink..!

But anyhow, I could be playing on there sometime this year! (With some luck that is)

Ignoring the previous post, the mall style rinks have good potential. I've seen a number of them in Edmonton, Canada that easily compete with the many stand alone rinks in the city. It's also kind of fun to go and play at - going to the mall for a game is different than going to the old smelly arena. These mall-arena seem to create good public skating revenues and can be used to attract elite teams to practice occassionaly for their entertainment value. Of course figure skating is always popular for the shoppers to take time out from their own sport to watch and calm down with. Nice rink - too bad it's not longer though.

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    Ignoring the previous post, the mall style rinks have good potential. I've seen a number of them in Edmonton, Canada that easily compete with the many stand alone rinks in the city. It's also kind of fun to go and play at - going to the mall for a game is different than going to the old smelly arena. These mall-arena seem to create good public skating revenues and can be used to attract elite teams to practice occassionaly for their entertainment value. Of course figure skating is always popular for the shoppers to take time out from their own sport to watch and calm down with. Nice rink - too bad it's not longer though.
    I shouldn't have been so graphic!

I will agree that they both look like good ice pads.. and yes it's better than an old arena.

Well tomstylee I hope what you are saying is not true:(.. Well have fun in Doha there is not much to do except eat and shop and skate:) which actually does not sound that bad.
    leftofcenter I agree, it is good to have the ice rinks in shopping malls.. It is a good way to entice people into skating, even little of ice rink in Galeria shopping centre, in Istanbul is not doing bad... Actually both are good for having matches, but I think the one in Vilaggia shopping mall (the second one) has more potential for ice hockey matches..

Quote Originally Posted by Cady View Post
    Not bad for a small city:)
    It's not that small! Population is 400k!

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

hey folks,world-wide
    here in Puerto Rico we watch as our primary practice surface awaits a transformation into a grocery store or flea market.
    i encourage everyone around the world to contact the rink@ info@aguadillaiceskatingarena.com
    or me personally@
    hockeypuertorico.com
    to think we hosted the NHL here to see this level of failure is reprehensible
    Philip Painter ,director ,hockeypuertorico

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    It's not that small! Population is 400k!

Graham.
    Well to me it felt that way:) but the population is spread on a large terrain and there is so much development going on.. Plus I understand that there are more expats than locals:)))

i wonder if they have homegrown players there, i guess they'd be the next arab national team.

IHF Member

IIHF

Quote Originally Posted by Cady View Post
    Hi,

Sorry for the long delays, here are some photos of the ice rinks in Doha, well there are two actually and are both decent sized and located both in different shopping malls:). Whilst I was there was hoping to catch a training and see if I could get to speak to the players, but never did see them there, bad timing from my part I guess:) Anywhoo enjoy the photos:).

The second photo is from The Villagio shopping mall, which was more busier. It is the newest ice rink, and as you can see from the photo there is a good interest. I have been told that the Hockey matches and trainings take place in the 1st Ice rink.. Not bad for a small city:)
    Those picture links don't work when I clicked on them. Can you please just post the pics themselves?

IHF Member
    @hockeypuertorico; We can add on our page if you want.

IHF Member
    Is this in Al Khawr, Home of Sundogs, Icecruisers, Hammerheads, Desert Heat and Breakers teams
    from the Qatar Ice Hockey League ?

Thread Information