Past winners:

2001: Sydney Bears
    2002: Sydney Bears
    2003: Newcastle North Stars
    2004: Western Sydney Ice dogs
    2005: Newcastle North Stars
    2006: Newcastle North Stars
    2007: Sydney Bears

• Main news of upcoming season is moving of Brisbane Blue Tongues to Gold Coast. An article here explains why
    • The 2008 AIHL Finals will be held at Hunter Ice Skating Stadium, Warners Bay in the Newcastle/Lake Macquarie region on the 30th and 31st August. In contrast to previous seasons, the AIHL has determined the venue prior to the start of the season to allow for maximum promotion and planning to go into the event.

IHF Member
    There's going to be a couple of changes to the schedule due to a double-booking at the Gold Coast, and the opening game has been moved back 9 days, so no longer the opening game. Opening night will now be the 19th, but there will no longer be a ceremony and press event.

Once ALL changes come in from the teams the new schedule will go out final and complete.

The four New South Wales AIHL teams for the first time played an organised pre-season tournament tied to AIHL season preparation.
    The Ice Dogs, Bears, North Stars and Rhinos competed for the donated Wilson Cup, in recognition of John and Carol Wilson's lifetime support of ice hockey in Australia.
    The tournament was played at Baulkham Hill’s Sydney Ice Arena and at Hunter Ice Skating Stadium in Warners Bay.
    Each team played home & away against the other three, with Semi Finals and a final.

Results:

Saturday 9th Feb
    The Bears - Western Sydney Ice Dogs 1-5 (0-3,1-0,0-2)
    Newcastle North Stars - Central Coast Rhinos 4-1 (1-0,1-0,2-1)

Sunday 10th Feb
    Western Sydney Ice Dogs - Newcastle North Stars 3-2 (0-0,2-1,1-1)
    Central Coast Rhinos - The Bears 3-7 (1-3,1-0,1-4)

Saturday 16th Feb
    The Bears - Newcastle North Stars 3-4 (0-2,2-0,1-2)
    Western Sydney Ice Dogs - Western Sydney Ice Dogs 4-7 (0-3,2-2,2-2)

Sunday 17th Feb
    The Bears - Western Sydney Ice Dogs 2-5 (1-1,0-3,1-1)

Saturday 23rd Feb
    Central Coast Rhinos - Newcastle North Stars 5-5 (4-2,0-2,1-1)

Sunday 24th Feb
    Central Coast Rhinos - Western Sydney Ice Dogs ????
    Newcastle North Stars - The Bears 7-2
    Saturday 1st March
    Newcastle North Stars - Western Sydney Ice Dogs 2-1ot (0-0,0-0,1-1,1-0)

Sunday 2nd March
    Central Coast Rhinos - The Bears ???

Standing:
    • Western Sydney Ice Dogs pts.8
    • Newcastle North Stars pts.7
    • The Bears pts.2
    • Central Coast Rhinos pts.1
    Playoffs:

Sat, Mar 08
    Newcastle North Stars - The Bears 1-4
    Western Sydney Ice Dogs - Central Coast Rhinos 6-3

Sun, Mar. 16
    Consolation Final
    Central Coast Rhinos - Newcastle North Stars 6-2

Wilson Cup Final
    The Bears - Western Sydney Ice Dogs 6-4

Current champion Sydney Bears opens very well its season, winning the first trophy

Canberra Knights signed first 2 imports: both are finnish and both come from FPS Forssa: goalie Tommi Kela and forward Marko Raita

IHF Member
    Posted 4/4/2008: Christoffer Elf (G)
    From Näldens IF to Adelaide Avalanche (AIHL)
    Suprised to see a move like this since Oliver Martin is doing very well for Adelaide and he's quite young. It may well be that he wants to return to NSW and their is an opening for a goaltender on the Sydney Bears.

I see that Hobart in Tasmania has an ice rink. Too bad they don't have a team in the AHL(and extra cash for travel of course). Now this would be the most appropriate use of the name "Hobart Devils". Or better yet, a state/regional team, the "Tasmanian Devils".

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    "Tasmanian Devils".
    I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    Canberra Knights signed first 2 imports: both are finnish and both come from FPS Forssa: goalie Tommi Kela and forward Marko Raita
    also

Juha Falin (D) Hokki (Mestis) -> Canberra Knights

http://www.jatkoaika.com/mestis.php?...utiset&id=8220

Goald Coast Bluetongues signed a finnish goalie, Simo Mustonen.

Where he played last season? seems not in Finland....

IHF Member
    Unless something has happened very recently that I haven't heard of, the Hobart rink is only large enough to play 3 on 3 hockey. I have a feeling we'll see a Western Australian and New Zealand team in the AIHL long, long before a Tassie team even considers playing against the rest of Australia.

IHF Member

Australia

There's a rash of new transfers occurred in the last couple days. Must be because Australia won gold

13/4/2008: Riku Suntio (D)
    From Chiefs Turku (Finland) to Central Coast Rhinos (AIHL)

13/4/2008: Bob Sannemo (D)
    From Näldens IF (Sweden) to Adelaide Avalanche (AIHL)

13/4/2008: Jörgen Omark (F)
    From Luleå Rebels HC (Sweden) to Central Coast Rhinos (AIHL)

13/4/2008: Peter Lindgren (F)
    From Näldens IF (Sweden) to Adelaide Avalanche (AIHL)

13/4/2008: Simon Kummu (F)
    From Luleå Rebels HC (Sweden) to Central Coast Rhinos (AIHL)

13/4/2008: Marcus Claesson (G)
    From HC Lidköping (Sweden) to Central Coast Rhinos (AIHL)

13/4/2008: Marco Bertossa (F)
    From Red Leafs Brisbane (IHQ) to Gold Coast Blue Tongues (AIHL)

This is a really bad rash, not even copious amounts of aloe vera gel will fix this. I'm especially concerned about the numbers of Scandanavians coming over. Very suss to me, I vote in favour of a pre-emptive strike before they get funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagratid View Post
    This is a really bad rash, not even copious amounts of aloe vera gel will fix this. I'm especially concerned about the numbers of Scandanavians coming over. Very suss to me, I vote in favour of a pre-emptive strike before they get funny.
    Don't worry about the Scandinavians. Just organize a day picnic for them in the Australian wild. They probably won't come back. After all, the list for non-lethal animals of the continent is very short: some of the sheep
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

4 Swedish players contracted by AIHL teams opened a site (in english) to narrate their experience down-under:
    http://theswedes87.awardspace.com/

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    I see that Hobart in Tasmania has an ice rink. Too bad they don't have a team in the AHL(and extra cash for travel of course). Now this would be the most appropriate use of the name "Hobart Devils". Or better yet, a state/regional team, the "Tasmanian Devils".
    Tassie has very little chance of ever having an AIHL team. Their rink is tiny, as has already been mentioned and from what I know there simply aren't many good hockey players from there. It's not exactly a major draw card to entice people to move to either.

IHF Member

Australia

Hoping to harness some of the media interest from last week's IIHF World Champs, I've sent out a press release to all and sundry about the AIHL season starting this weekend.

After a comment from Jazz I also forwarded this an Bill Meltzer's story to the Australian Winter Olympic Institute in Melbourne.

Press Release:
    Australia’s National Ice Hockey League Season Begins

While Australia considers how it will tackle the challenge of being a Division I ice hockey nation, the 23 men of the gold-medal winning Division II team have returned to their jobs and their AIHL teams.

The Australian Ice Hockey League (AIHL) consists of 6 times Minor Premiers and 2 times AIHL Champions the Adelaide Avalanche, ‘original three’ team and 1998 National Champions the Canberra Knights, newcomers Central Coast Rhinos, current AIHL Champions ‘The Bears’ from Penrith, new glamour club the Gold Coast Blue Tongues, 2004 National Champions the Western Sydney Ice Dogs, and 3 times National Champions and 1 time Minor Premiers the Newcastle North Stars.

This weekend all eight teams will play in AIHL matches, with three games on Saturday and three on Sunday. On Saturday the Blue Tongues start their season off by travelling to Newcastle on Saturday night, and nearby Central Coast on Sunday. The Canberra Knights also pack their bags, they play in Adelaide on Saturday night and in Melbourne on Sunday night. In Penrith, The Bears will first host the Rhinos from Central Coast on Saturday, and double-up against cross-town rivals the Ice Dogs on Sunday night.

Each team features up to five import players each who are typically professional athletes in their own countries. The games are physical and fast and the action happens just metres away from the spectators.

Ticket prices vary between $12 and $25 for adults, contact your local ice rink for details.

Saturday 19th April 08
    Canberra Knights vs. Adelaide Avalanche Adelaide Ice Arena 4.30pm (SA time)
    Gold Coast Blue Tongues vs. Newcastle North Stars Hunter Ice Skating Stadium 5.00pm
    Central Coast Rhinos vs. The Bears Penrith Ice Palace 5.30pm

Sunday 20th April 08
    Canberra Knights vs. Melbourne Ice Oakleigh Olympic Ice 4.15pm
    Western Sydney Ice Dogs vs The Bears Penrith Ice Palace 5.00pm
    Gold Coast Blue Tongues vs. Central Coast Rhinos Erina Ice Arena 5.45pm

IHF Member
    As to previous comments about teams, I can't seen an expansion for another year or two yet.

I believe the best chance for expansion is to have 1 or 2 new teams from New Zealand, and perhaps a team from Perth. To get there though, all teams will need to increase their incomes into 6 figures to afford travel and accommodation, and even more if we get both WA and NZ in the AIHL.

IHF Member
    Posted 4/4/2008: Christoffer Elf (G)
    From Näldens IF to Adelaide Avalanche (AIHL)
    Suprised to see a move like this since Oliver Martin is doing very well for Adelaide and he's quite young. It may well be that he wants to return to NSW and their is an opening for a goaltender on the Sydney Bears.
    I asked Olivier what he's up to at the Worlds this weekend (he was in the squad but didn't dress during the tournament, except for being puck target during practice :) ).
    He told me he was going to continue to play for Adelaide, as he attends university down there.

His brother Pier will continue with the Newcastle North Stars.

I didn't know about this other guy from Europe and don't know if Olivier did either, but that's life for a goalie.

Quote Originally Posted by oznthstar View Post
    I didn't know about this other guy from Europe and don't know if Olivier did either, but that's life for a goalie.
    I saw that three of the players come from Näldens IF. They won their Div II (4th tier) league this year and promoted to Div I. I was a bit surprised to see 4th tier players from Sweden (also the team Luleå Rebels play 4th tier) being able to secure a spot in AIHL...

Australia

There's going to be a couple of changes to the schedule due to a double-booking at the Gold Coast, and the opening game has been moved back 9 days, so no longer the opening game. Opening night will now be the 19th, but there will no longer be a ceremony and press event.

Once ALL changes come in from the teams the new schedule will go out final and complete.
    How many games make up the season in AUS? I've heard it's something like 30-35 games in a season here.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

IHF Member
    As to previous comments about teams, I can't seen an expansion for another year or two yet.

I believe the best chance for expansion is to have 1 or 2 new teams from New Zealand, and perhaps a team from Perth. To get there though, all teams will need to increase their incomes into 6 figures to afford travel and accommodation, and even more if we get both WA and NZ in the AIHL.
    Melbourne easily has the talent for a second team if we had a second rink in a different part of town. If there was a new rink across town from Oakleigh then I think Melbourne could definitely cater for it.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AussiePride View Post
    Melbourne easily has the talent for a second team if we had a second rink in a different part of town. If there was a new rink across town from Oakleigh then I think Melbourne could definitely cater for it.
    Absolutely, looking at how the Sydney teams have done I don't think there is any doubt that Melbourne could support two teams and still remain competitive. We've got enough high-talent guys to split in two (although we might need to go down the path of bringing in imports as star players) and plenty of guys are playing hockey in Senior but could play AIHL. Unfortunately I can't see another rink anytime soon.

Some more imports arriving:
    Looks like a Czech/Slovak movement coming to the Bears, all of Vladi's cousins coming to visit I guess :P
    Vit Stransky (F)
    From HC Orlová (2.liga CZE) to au Sydney Bears (AIHL)

Peter Zitny (F)
    From HK 96 Nitra (SVK) to Sydney Bears (AIHL)

It'll be interesting to see how Zitny goes, he's been struggling to break in with a team of late but he has the skill a nose for the goal (a wicked quick release) to be a great addition to the Sydney Bears.

IHF Member
    Central Coast Rhinos went down 6-4 to Sydney Bears. Apparently it was a fantastic game to watch and the Rhinos played very well (perhaps they can lift themselves into respectability this year). Newcastle (or more specifically Ezzy) beat the Bluetongues 3-1. Sheffield got two goals and Bell added one for Gold Coast (some random got a woos goal). The Ice playing the Canberra Knights tonight. Steve Laforet is unable to play because he's suspended (he got a game misconduct this week for pitching a bucket of pucks onto the ice in the middle of the game) but Lee Mac (a former national ice and inline hockey rep) is going to make his debut.

Lack of official website is a shame and a harm for all hockey fans!!

I try to collect infos from various websites and summarize weekend results:

19.04 games

Adelaide Avalanche - Canberra Knights 4-0 (1-0,1-0,2-0)
    1-0 James Keane
    2-0 James Keane (Chase Kinch)PP
    3-0 Brandon Williams (Chase Kinch,Andrew Zolotarev)
    4-0 Peter Lindgren
    Cass Delsar broke his leg in the first period and will be out for up to 3 months

The Bears - Central Coast Rhinos 6-4

Newcastle North Stars - Gold Coast Blue Tongues 3-1 (1-0,0-0,2-1)

1-0 09:45 Ray Sheffield (Casey Minson, Adam Kimbley)
    1-1 43:50 Chris Bell (Reg Thomas)
    2-1 48:28 Ray Sheffield (Casey Minson, Adam Kimbley)PP
    3-1 53:55 Gicu Oprea (Matt Murrell, Pier Martin) EN
    PIM: 5x2 - 6x2 SOG: 19-21
    MVP: Matt Ezzy - Rob Starke

20.04 games

Melbourne Ice - Canberra Knights 2-0 (1-0,1-0,0-0)
    1-0 Lliam Webster (Ryan Tremblay) 06:30
    2-0 Tommy Powell 35:06
    PIM: 4x2 - 2x2 SOG: 20-30

The Bears - Western Sydney Ice Dogs 5-3 (1-2,2-0,2-1)

Central Coast Rhinos - Gold Coast Blue Tongues 5-1 (3-1,1-0,1-0)
    0-1 02:45 Ross Howell PP
    1-1 03:56 Jayson Chalker (Simon Kummu, Lucien Hackett)PP
    2-1 11:07 Brett Cole-Clarke (Jayson Chalker, Simon Kummu)
    3-114:46 Adrian Hartly
    4-1 24:56 Simon Kummu (Dan Shaw)
    5-1 51:18 Riku Suntio (Jayson Chalker, Jorgan Omark)SH
    PIM: 9x2+1x10(Omark) - 7x2+1x10(Bell) SOG: 28-23
    Last edited by Davide; 21-04-2008 at 19:31.

IHF Member

Australia

Results for this round...

Saturday 19th April 08
    The Bears 6 defeated the Central Coast Rhinos 4 in Penrith
    Newcastle North Stars 3 defeated the Gold Coast Blue Tongues 1 in Newcastle
    Adelaide Avalanche 4 defeated Canberra Knights 0 in Adelaide

Sunday 20th April 08
    Melbourne Ice 2 defeated Canberra Knights 0 in Melbourne
    The Bears 5 defeated the Western Sydney Ice Dogs 3 in Penrith
    Central Coast Rhinos 5 defeated the Gold Coast Blue Tongues 1 in Erina

Bears now leading AIHL with 6 points.

IHF Member
    New website is coming, just teams are slow to get moving on it.
    The old one was very expensive, though it was nice to have.

IHF Member
    Things look reasonably good for the Canberra Knights (as good as it can every be after back-to-back losses to open a season) after watching them play the Ice last night. Tommi Kela played beautifully in goal, he made a save on a sure goal barely minutes in, stopped Ryan Tremblay twice when he was left alone in front and both goals were hardly his fault. The first one was a pass from behind the net to Lliam Webster all alone in the high slot who just waited for Kela to slide across then fired it into the corner and Powell managed a wicked shot after picking off a sloppy pass at the circles. Rummukainen and Clayworth both looked out of sorts and made some sloppy plays but I imagine they were cramped by the small rink. More importantly two of the imports looked very promising, Joel Kitchen has an amazing set of wheels and Marko Raita showed some impressive dangles. Either way they should be far more competitive this year than in the past and the loss of Mike Harrow doesn't look as catastrophic as it could have been.

IHF Member
    Yeah I expect Knights and Rhinos will be much better teams this year. Others will need to take them quite seriously.

IHF Member
    question for fellows down under

oliver rozdarz, is he playing for some AIHL team? he was here in croatia two years ago, but didnt find a place in a team. he was just a forthliner and didnt get payed for it, so i think he went back home

Quote Originally Posted by jokke_wiberg View Post
    question for fellows down under

oliver rozdarz, is he playing for some AIHL team? he was here in croatia two years ago, but didnt find a place in a team. he was just a forthliner and didnt get payed for it, so i think he went back home
    yes, he wears n° 18 in Canberra Knights roster

IHF Member
    Things look reasonably good for the Canberra Knights (as good as it can every be after back-to-back losses to open a season) after watching them play the Ice last night. Tommi Kela played beautifully in goal, he made a save on a sure goal barely minutes in, stopped Ryan Tremblay twice when he was left alone in front and both goals were hardly his fault. The first one was a pass from behind the net to Lliam Webster all alone in the high slot who just waited for Kela to slide across then fired it into the corner and Powell managed a wicked shot after picking off a sloppy pass at the circles. Rummukainen and Clayworth both looked out of sorts and made some sloppy plays but I imagine they were cramped by the small rink. More importantly two of the imports looked very promising, Joel Kitchen has an amazing set of wheels and Marko Raita showed some impressive dangles. Either way they should be far more competitive this year than in the past and the loss of Mike Harrow doesn't look as catastrophic as it could have been.
    Actually I think both goals were entirely his fault. He had a fantastic game, but I reckon he would've liked both of them back. The first one he was looking at the ref for a whistle. I have no idea why, but the best I can figure is he thought the puck had gone out of play. When he got himself set he wasn't really ready for a shot and Webster had plenty of net to hit.

The second one was indeed a poor turnover from Rummukainen, however the shot that Powell took was from a wide angle and he should've had no net to shoot at. It went in and out of the net really quickly, but that was off the bar running up the middle of the net. I was right on the goal line on the same side the shot came from and his angle was horrible on that play.

IHF Member
    Thursday 24-4-2008
    Sydney Bears - West Sydney Ice Dogs; 6-5
    6-5 43:35 M. Wand (Vt. Stransky)
    5-5 33:41 S. Stephenson (M. Strang, C. Sekura)
    5-4 26:04 V. Rubes (B. Nelson-Bond)
    4-4 20:45 V. Rubes
    3-4 20:18 M. Strang (S. Stephenson, J. Gibson)
    3-3 19:54 Vt. Stransky (M. Wand, Vl. Stransky) PP1
    2-3 08:45 Vl. Stransky (V. Rubes)
    1-3 08:07 M. Wand (V. Rubes) PP1
    0-3 06:51 T. Stephenson (T. Sheddon) PP1
    0-2 03:54 T. Sheddon (S. Herbert, T. Stephenson)
    0-1 02:30 B. Niha (B. Cliff, J. Gibson)

Gk: B. Wardie - B. Luker; SVS: 20 - 22
    Pen: 7x2 + 1x10 - 9x2 + 2x10;
    3 Stars: V. Rubes (Bears), T. Stephenson (Ice Dogs), D. Wardie (Bears)

Saturday 26-4-2008
    Adelaide Avalanche - Melbourne Ice; 3-0
    0-3 33:07 G. Sturrock
    0-2 24:37 L. Webster (A. Taylor, R. Tremblay)
    0-1 09:35 T. Powell (S. Corbett, M. Beaton)

Gk: C. Elf - S. Denman; SVS: 16 - 25
    Pen: 6x2 - 8x2;
    3 Stars: S. Denman (Ice), R. Tremblay (Ice), L. Webster (Ice)

Canberra Knights - Gold Coast Blue Tongues; 4-3
    4-3 44:59 D. Upton PP1
    4-2 44:56 D. Upton (C. Kerr, M. Bertossa) PP1
    4-1 37:30 J. Gavin SH1
    3-1 35:18 M. Raita (D. Lewis, J. Kitchen) PP1
    2-1 28:38 D. Upton (R. Howell)
    2-0 12:47 J. Falin (O. Rozdarz, J. Gavin)
    1-0 02:09 M. Raita

Gk: T.Kela - S.Mustonen; SVS: 21 - uk
    Pen: 8x2 + 1x10 + 2x25; 8x2 + 1x10 + 1x25
    3 Stars: M. Raita (Knights), M. Rummukainen (Knights), D. Upton (Blue Tongues)

Edit: Penalties updated for Canberra- Gold Coast games thanks to Franco

The Stransky brothers look like they're tearing the league scoring up, it'll be interesting to see how the defense improves because its not exactly winning many games right now. The Ice Dogs appear to be having goalie problems, does anyone know where Lanny Rampage went (I miss him, he had such a cool name). Greg Oddy still isn't playing for Adelaide, nor is he on the team roster. I also want to know how Upton managed two goals just 3 seconds apart...
    Last edited by Bagratid; 18-05-2008 at 05:36.

seems to be tight games...
    Bagratid, is there more team infos coming? thx

IHF Member

Australia

Sunday, 27-4-2008

Adelaide Avalanche - Melbourne Ice; 5-6 SO

5-6 45:00 SO
    5-5 44:59 K. Crowder (B. Williams, P. Lindgren)
    4-5 42:38 T. Powell (R. Tremblay, S. Corbett) PP1
    4-4 39:52 J. Harding (B. Sannemo, K. Crowder) PP2
    3-4 35:45 D. Ferguson (L. Webster, S. Hardy)
    3-3 30:08 T. Powell (S. Laforet)
    3-2 26:18 C. Kinch (J. Harding) PP1
    2-2 23:22 R. Tremblay (L. Webster, V. Hughes)
    2-1 22:14 M. Villani (B. Williams, D. Huxley) PP2
    1-1 13:30 L. Webster (V. Hughes, S. Laforet)
    1-0 06:34 J. Harding (P. Lindgren, O. Martin) PP1

Gk: O. Martin - S. Denman; SVS: 21 - 18
    Pen: 11x2 + 1x10 - 8x2;
    3 Stars: R. Tremblay (Ice), J. Harding (Avalanche), S. Corbett (Ice)

West Sydney Ice Dogs - Gold Coast Blue Tongues; 10-2
    10-2 32:21 T. Sheddon (T. Stephenson, S. Herbert)
    9-2 29:33 T. Sheddon (S. Herbert)
    8-2 26:46 M. Bertossa (C. Martin, D. Upton) PP1
    8-1 22:15 C. Sekura (J. Gibson)
    7-1 19:49 S. Stephenson
    6-1 13:11 S. Stephenson (A. White, A. Wilson) PP2
    5-1 12:15 M. Strang (C. Sekura, A. Wilson) PP2
    4-1 08:05 C. Sekura (S. Stephenson)
    3-1 05:08 S. Herbert (A. Wilson, T. Sheddon) PP1
    2-1 04:03 A. White (B. Thomas, T. Sheddon)PP1
    1-1 02:27 J. Conner (J. Bale, B. Spillane) PP2
    1-0 00:21 M. Strang (S. Stephenson, A. Wilson)

Gk: B. Luker, J. Herbert (in 17:00) - S. Mustonen, CJ. Anderson (in 13:00); SVS: 7, 4 - 7, 22
    Pen: 10x2 + 3x5 + 3x10 - 13x2 + 3x5 + 5x10;
    3 Stars: A. White (Ice Dogs), T. Sheddon (Ice Dogs), S. Stephenson (Ice Dogs)

Newcastle North Stars - Canberra Knights; 2-3
    3-2 26:18 M. Rummukainen (M. Raita, D. Lewis)
    2-2 23:22 G. Andre (R. Starke, G. Buckley) PP1
    1-2 22:14 B. Taylor (S. Deans)
    1-1 13:30 B. Taylor (J. Falin, S. Deans)
    1-0 06:34 G. Oprea (G. Andre) SH1

Gk: M. Ezzy - T. Kela; SVS: 22 - 23
    Pen: 3x2 - 5x2;
    3 Stars: J. Kitchen (Knights), T. Kela (Knights), G. Buckley (Northstars)

In the Avalanche - Ice game Melbourne was up 5-4 in the dying seconds and then they got an icing call and Adelaide scored with a second remaining. Shootout went to 4 rounds with Stuey shutting Adelaide out and the 3rd and 4th shooters for Melbourne scoring. From what I've heard Adelaide got pushed around a bit by a much bigger opponent. Oliver Martin started in his first game of the season.

Brutal game in Sydney. Ice Dogs were up 9-2 at the end of the second then let off in a fight filled third period. Ross and Dunwoodie tangled and White mangled Bale in a short but brutal fight. Its sad when games like this happen. They do nothing to remove the stigma of ice hockey being "fights on ice" in Australia and I'm a bit fearful of how the BT's will turn out this year. Hopefully they can get some decent imports and drag themselves back to respectability. I feel sorry for the penalty time keeper. 12 goals and over 100 PIMs, a hard day at the office for anyone.

Canberra won over Newcastle! Amazing, I hope this is a sign of greater parity and competitiveness in the league. It was supposed to be a very upbeat, talent packed game. Wish I was there to see it.
    Last edited by Bagratid; 30-04-2008 at 09:22.

IHF Member

Australia

Canberra won over Newcastle! Amazing, I hope this is a sign of greater parity and competitiveness in the league. It was supposed to be a very upbeat, talent packed game. Wish I was there to see it.
    Actually if you look back over the years this happens more often than not. Newcastle have always shopped for big imports, who are often slow to arrive because of finals series overseas. Such is the case again this year.

Canberra are already complete and they've beaten the North Stars a few times in the opening rounds over the years.

I'm not concerned about Newcastle just yet; they'll be very good once they have a full squad. I'm a bit sus on the Ice Dogs, and very worried about the Blue Tongues and Avalanche this season. Oh well, if they have a bad season they'll make room for a new team to have some time in the sun!

IHF Member
    May 2, 2008
    Rhinos Forfeit game to Blue Tongues
    The Australian Ice Hockey League (AIHL) has announced that due to the Rhinos utilising an illegal player in their game of the 20th of April, 2008 that the Rhinos have forfeited their win to the Blue Tongues by a margin of 5-0.

Goaltender Markus Claesson is not cleared to play in the AIHL until the 3rd of May, but played in goal for the game of the 20th. Further to forfeiting the game, the Rhinos have been fined for the breach.

The forfeit puts the Rhinos back on 0 competition points, and gives the Blue Tongues their only win so far of the season, now on 3 points.

http://www.esportsdesk.com/leagues/n...&clientID=3856

This is a situation similar to a situation last year when the Bears, Ice Dogs and Blue Tongues were all docked competition points for icing players that hadn't been cleared by the IIHF and IHA. The Rhinos won the game in question 5-1. Barring any more developments the Blue Tongues should have Gaetan Royer and Michael Gough back this weekend, which will hopefully give them a little more firepower.

IHF Member

Australia

Saturday, 03-05-2008
    West Sydney Ice Dogs - Central Coast Rhinos; 6-4

0-1 03:09 K. Klym (S. Kummu)
    0-2 08:21 M.Wrankmore (M. Walsh, S. Cole-Clark)
    1-2 15:26 Scott Stephenson from Mitch Strang
    2-2 17:47 S. Stephenson (M. Strang) PP1
    2-3 21:33 J. Chalker (S. Kummu, K. Klym) PP1
    2-4 22:46 K. Klym (B. Nicholson) PP1
    3-4 24:21 T. Stephenson (A. Wilson) PP1
    4-4 29:42 M. Strang (S. Stephenson)
    5-4 39:35 C. Sekura (unassisted)
    6-4 44:29 M. Strang (unassisted)

Gk: B. Luker - M. Cleason; SVS: 17 - 39
    Pen: 4x2 - 5x2

Adelaide Avalanche - Newcastle Northstars; 3-2 SO
    0-1 17:40 C. Minson (G. Andre, S. Oultram) PP1
    1-1 25:28 K. Crowder (J. Harding, M. Villani) PP1
    2-1 34:37 K. Crowder (P. Lindgren, C. Kinch) PP1
    2-2 41:27 P. Martin (M. Murrell, R. Starke)
    3-2 45:00 SO (P. Lindgren)

Gk: C. Elf - M. Ezzy; SVS: 19 - 32
    Pen: 10x2 + 4x10 - 10x2

Sydney Bears - Canberra Knights; 5-3
    5-3 42:01 Vl. Stransky
    4-3 37:36 L. Mock (M. Wand, V. Rubes)
    3-3 36:47 P. Shumak (B. Nelson-Bond)
    2-3 28:39 O. Rozdarz (J. Kitchen, M. Raita)
    2-2 21:48 M. Wand (V. Rubes, Vl. Stransky)
    1-2 10:29 Vt. Stransky (Vl. Stransky) PP1
    0-2 04:31 L. Philps (S. Deans, M. Rummukainen)
    0-1 03:02 J. Kitchen (D. Lewis, M. Rummukainen)

Gk: J. Daugulis - T. Kela; SVS: 21 - 23
    Pen: 5x2 - 5x2;

Sunday, 04-05-2008
    Melbourne Ice - Newcastle Northstars; 7-2

1-0 03:44 K. Teague (L. Webster, R. Tremblay)
    2-0 04:00 L. Webster
    3-0 05:25 L. Webster (R. Tremblay)
    4-0 16:50 T. Powell (M. Beaton)
    4-1 19:17 A. Kimbley (P. Martin, G. Buckley)
    4-2 21:59 G. Andre (R. Starke, C. Minson)
    5-2 27:32 L. Webster (R. Tremblay, K. Teague) PP1
    6-2 29:43 L. Webster (R. Tremblay, K. Teague)
    7-2 38:34 S. Corbett (T. Powell)

Gk: S. Denman - M. Ezzy, M. Vaughan (in: 30:00) ; SVS: 24 - 19, 13
    Pen: 4x2 - 3x2

West Sydney Ice Dogs - Canberra Knights; 6-2
    1-0 10:32 M. Strang (C. Sekura, A. White)
    2-0 12:05 T. Sheddon (T. Stephenson, B. Thomas) PP1
    2-1 25:52 L. Philps (O. Rozdarz)
    3-1 26:28 C. Sekura (T. Manco, T. Stephenson)
    3-2 32:33 T. Letki (B. Taylor, M. Rummukainen)
    4-2 34:33 M. Strang (C. Sekura, A. Wilson)
    5-2 38:02 S. Stephenson (M. Strang, C. Sekura)
    6-2 43:37 C. Sekura (S. Stephenson)

Gk: J. Herbert - L. Fiveash; SVS: 18 - 30
    Pen: 6x2 - 3x2

For those of you who aren't aware, the new AIHL site is: http://www.esportsdesk.com/leagues/f...&clientID=3856. Its not quite as snazzy as the old one but its updated far more regularly and hopefully wont crash every second day like the old one.
    Last edited by Bagratid; 09-05-2008 at 14:25.

IHF Member
    Team GPWSOWLSOLPts
    1. Sydney Bears4400012
    2. West Sydney Ice Dogs6420012
    3. Melbourne Ice4310011
    4. Adelaide Avalanche411116
    5. Canberra Knights620406
    6. Newcastle Northstars410214
    7. Gold Coast Rhinos410403
    8. Central Coast Rhinos400400

IHF Member
    May 2, 2008

http://www.esportsdesk.com/leagues/n...&clientID=3856

This is a situation similar to a situation last year when the Bears, Ice Dogs and Blue Tongues were all docked competition points for icing players that hadn't been cleared by the IIHF and IHA. The Rhinos won the game in question 5-1. Barring any more developments the Blue Tongues should have Gaetan Royer and Michael Gough back this weekend, which will hopefully give them a little more firepower.
    Due to the double-booking for this weekend in Gold Coast, the BTs had to change the games of the 10th and 11th of May to be in July.

Because of this they don't have a home opener until early June, nearly 7 weeks after most of the other teams.

This turned out to be beneficial for the BTs however, as their rink is still being renovated and is not yet complete. Additionally, it give them more time to collect their missing imports.

Good job with the team previews guys!

I'd suggest moving the previous alone into a separate thread instead of being interspersed between the discussion here.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

IHF Member
    Saturday, 10-05-2008
    Canberra Knights - Melbourne Ice; 1-6
    0-1 07:31 L. Webster (R. Tremblay)
    1-1 27:16 J. Gavin (O. Rozdarz, M. Rummukainen)
    1-2 30:38 R. Tremblay (L. Webster)
    1-3 33:13 R. Tremblay (K. Teague, T. Powell)
    1-4 42:13 K. Teague (R. Tremblay, L. Webster)
    1-5 43:17 S. Corbett (S. Denman)
    1-6 44:52 R. Tremblay (L. Webster, V. Hughes)

Gk: L. Fiveash - S. Denman; SVS: 23 - 15
    Pen: 5x2 - 4x2 + 1x10;

Newcastle Northstars - The Bears; 3-4
    0-1 07:36 R. Franchini (J. Gribben, Vl. Stransky) PP
    0-2 28:53 R. Franchini (V. Rubes, Vl. Stransky)
    1-2 33:53 G. Andre (BJ. Pelkey, C. Minson)
    1-3 36:40 A. Esposito (J. Gribben) PP
    1-4 43:43 V. Rubes (R. Franchini, Vl. Stransky)
    2-4 40:56 BJ. Pelkey (C. Minson, G. Andre)
    3-4 44:18 BJ. Pelkey (C. Minson)

Gk: M. Ezzy - J. Daugulis; SVS: 25 - 54
    Pen: 4x2 - 4x2

West Sydney Ice Dogs - Central Coast Rhinos; 2-1
    1-0 11:29 B. Cliff (T. Sheddon, S. Herbert)
    1-1 18:41 J. Omark (S. Kummu) PP
    2-1 34:23 T. Sheddon (S. Herbert, T. Manco)

Gk: B. Luker - M. Cleason; SVS: 21 - 25
    Pen: 9x2 - 5x2;

Sunday, 11-05-2008
    Central Coast Rhinos - Newcastle Northstars; 3-1

1-0 22:36 J. Omark (R. Suntio)
    1-1 25:31 R. Starke (G. Buckley, M. Vickers) PP
    2-1 37:19 B. Cole-Clark (A. Hartly, S. Adams)
    3-1 41:32 K. Klym (M. Perry) PP

Gk: M. Cleasson - M. Ezzy; SVS: 27 - 13
    Pen: 5x2 - 7x2;

The Bears - Melbourne Ice; 3-1
    1-0 08:04 J. Gribben (M. Wand, R. Franchini) PP
    1-1 29:10 R. Tremblay (S. Laforet, K. Teague) PP
    2-1 42:53 R. Franchini (J. Gribbben, Vl. Stransky)
    3-1 44:57 V. Stransky (unassisted) EN

Gk: J. Daugulis - S. Denman; SVS: 25 - 16
    Pen: 12x2 + 1x10 - 11x2; Notes: Double Point Game

The Bears continue their roll with 7 straight wins including a double point win over Melbourne. I noticed that Zitny didn't dress this weekend, I hope he regains his touch and makes the team in time for the Melbourne road trip.

The Rhinos scored their "first" (barring anymore dodgy paperwork) win of the season over Newcastle in what I heard was a very scrappy game.

On a side note, I noticed that in oznrthstar's preview of Newcastle that Gicu Oprea is listed as an import. I remember him (honestly who could forget him) from when the AIHL started up, has he come back from overseas to play or has he been in Australia this whole time and just never taken out citizenship (bit like Ferguson).
    Last edited by Bagratid; 18-05-2008 at 15:06.

IHF Member
    New website with the same people (EsportsDesk) has been ordered.
    When complete the site will be available from http://www.theaihl.com.au, and possibly from http://www.aihl.com.au

IHF Member

On a side note, I noticed that in oznrthstar's preview of Newcastle that Gicu Oprea is listed as an import. I remember him (honestly who could forget him) from when the AIHL started up, has he come back from overseas to play or has he been in Australia this whole time and just never taken out citizenship (bit like Ferguson).
    Gicu Oprea is a Resident, as is Ray Sheffield. Both are in the long process of gaining citizenship, but are not classed as Imports any longer.

Both were original members of our 2002 team. Gicu has been in and out of the side since 2003 due to other commitments.

IHF Member
    Current points table:

IHF Member
    Steve McJannet (Columbia Inferno ECSL) has withdrawn from the 2008 North Stars team and has been replaced by university player Mark Carberry from St Mary's University, Nova Scotia.
    Carberry and Colin Nicholson (Texas Wildcatters ECSL) arrived today and will join the team for the trip to Canberra and then back home on Sunday this weekend.

IHF Member
    Gold Coast Blue Tongues have signed William "Billy" Crumm, who played for the Brisbane team previously and was a fan favourite. While Quebec RadioX import Bryan Lachance has arrived with Gaetan Royer. Neither are quite the calibre of Matt Amado but they will definitely stiffen a very thin side. What's more interesting is that between them they had 334PIM in the LNAH, I'm sure this will produce some ... rambuncious games against Melbourne and West Sydney. Meanwhile import Jordan Ross has returned to Canada for personal reasons.

And while its not exactly a recent acquisition, Melbourne Ice now has the services of Kyle Teague from Grant MacEwan College.

IHF Member
    Hi Bagratid,

hey, you are doing an excellent job!!!!

Very usefull for me!!
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    What is the average attendance on AIHL games?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Hi Bagratid,

hey, you are doing an excellent job!!!!

Very usefull for me!!
    You're welcome. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    What is the average attendance on AIHL games?
    Melbourne Ice consistently draws a sell out crowd (there is no max limit but the rink is packed) of around 600-700. In Melbourne most of our fans are members of the hockey community so for any given game 90% of the fans would be players, families, friends etc. I can't speak accurately for other teams but I know Newcastle and Canberra both draw close to full houses.

Finally, for those of you who were taking an interest in the new Gold Coast Blue Tongues, the situation with Matt Amado has been resolved. It was originally thought that he would be returning this year to continue playing in the AIHL, so much so that he was listed on the Gold Coast Blue Tongues team lists early in the year. However, he recently decided not to and has just signed with HC Amiens Somme in France.
    Last edited by Bagratid; 15-05-2008 at 12:57.

IHF Member
    Thursday 24-4-2008
    Canberra Knights - Gold Coast Blue Tongues; 4-3
    4-3 44:59 D. Upton PP1
    4-2 44:56 D. Upton (C. Kerr, M. Bertossa) PP1
    4-1 37:30 J. Gavin SH1
    3-1 35:18 M. Raita (D. Lewis, J. Kitchen) PP1
    2-1 28:38 D. Upton (R. Howell)
    2-0 12:47 J. Falin (O. Rozdarz, J. Gavin)
    1-0 02:09 M. Raita

Gk: T.Kela - S.Mustonen; SVS: 21 - uk
    Pen: the penalty recording appears to be a practical joke by drunken lemurs on other drunken lemurs so we'll have to wait for clarification;
    3 Stars: M. Raita (Knights), M. Rummukainen (Knights), D. Upton (Blue Tongues)
    Here the PIM's each team:

Knights: 8x2', 1x10' (Rummukainen), 2x25' (Rozdarz, Gavin) = 76'
    Tongues: 8x2', 1x10' (Thomas), 1x25' (Thomas) = 51'
    Cheers, Franco

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information