• CZE vs ITA - Italy will win

1 1.64%
  • SLO vs LAT - Slovenia will win

28 45.90%
  • SLO vs LAT - Latvia will win

33 54.10%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Day 5 - Tuesday May 6th - RUS vs DEN, CAN vs USA, CZE vs ITA, SLO vs LAT

Let's win guys - its time for our show now!

Retro jerseys will help us I belive!
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

What a crazy start to the CZE-ITA Game it's already 2-2 just a few minutes into the game. . Have the goalies fallen asleep?
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

IHF Staff
    Come on Slovenia!!!

SLO looks good, c'mon guys!

Damn we hit the post ...
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

IHF Member
    Forza Azzuri!!!!! AHHHH :D

Damn my heart goes bye bye - Kristan saves penalty shot!!!!!!!!
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

Latvians are killing us at the moment...luckily, Kristan is showing his class again..

If we don't improve radically in the rest of the game, I don't see us beating Latvia today..

The Rodman brothers are the biggest disappointments of this tournament for me...we've seen nothing from them untill now and they are supposed to be among the leaders of this team..

wide shots...

4 PP's and a penalty shot... there were few moments, but all stopped by Kristan or shots went wide...

IHF Member
    If only the Latvians had one finisher! Too bad they don't have Karsums...or maybe even that kid in Kingston...forget his name.

Andris Dzerins...

he was in the camp, but was excluded

finally...

Nizivijs 1-0 on penalty shot

LAT Fires first with Aleksandrs Nizivijs scoring at the 30:05 mark of the game.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

IHF Member
    keep 'em coming

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    Hey Cool,

Why should we trust you? So far you haven't had much success with your predictions. And your standing in our little game looks a little ugly. Bottom-feeder!
    Haha, it is early but I'll climb up and plus I am behind 8 games since I didnt predict the first two days. Give me a break. :) The prediction is ulitmately is Canadian winning it all. Trust me on this one.

2-0 Latvia

woow latvia outshoot slovenia 26-6 (!) so far..
    an once again latvia has the best fans ;)

31-7 shots for Latvia

my money...

IHF Member
    Now they need a shorthanded goal, an even strength goal and an empty netter and they have a Mario Lemieux hattrick :D

Slovenia and Italy to be relegated, Norway and France will pass them tru in the best of 3 relegation series.,

But if Kristan plays good against Norway they can have a chance, things dont looking so good for Slovenia right now against Latvia.

I think Italy will go to division 1 for sure. Slovenia will stay,they can beat Norway, it gonna be hard one, but they can do it!

what you talking about ? first norway must lose vs. germany maybe slovenia then plays vs. the slovaks ^^

scores and 1st round standings after day 5

Group B

Canada 5 USA 4 (2-0, 1-2, 2-2)

Slovenia 0 Latvia 3 (0-0, 0-2, 0-1)

Group D

Russia 4 Denmark 1 (1-0, 2-0, 1-1)

Czech Republic 7 Italy 2 (2-2, 4-0, 1-0)

Group B
    #TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Canada3000917-5
    2USA2001615-6
    3Latvia100233-11
    4Slovenia000302-13

Group D
    #TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Russia2100816-6
    2Czech Republic2010716-9
    3Denmark100239-11
    4Italy000305-20

Teams in Red are down to the relegation Round

Day 6 Games
    Group A
    Sweden VS. Switzerland
    France VS. Belarus

Group C
    Finland VS. Slovakia
    Norway VS. Germany

Points carried over to Qualifying Round
    Group B
    1. Canada 6 PTS
    2. USA 3 PTS (Could of easily have had as much as 5 if the game would have gotten into OT.)
    3. Latvia 0 PTS

Group D
    1. Russia 5 PTS
    2. Czech Republic 4 PTS
    3. Denmark 0 PTS

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonsorrow View Post
    what you talking about ? first norway must lose vs. germany maybe slovenia then plays vs. the slovaks ^^
    I don't think Norway has a chance against Germany to be honest...

well that says evrybody before the finland game too...

Quote Originally Posted by Forsberg View Post
    31-7 shots for Latvia

my money...
    You should bet on the team you would NOT like to win. That's called stress management
    Slovenia - good job and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Karsten View Post
    Nope! sorry.

The bets must be posted before the first game starts - makes it a little less time consuming for me to track the stats. Otherwise, I need to scroll down some 200+ posts, looking for bets that might be hidden within comments.
    Karsten, I will come up with some web solution next year to make this job easier. That's a promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
    You never know these days...

The U.S. team looks surprisingly good, better than I thought they would look.

As for some of the comments posted -

1. The U.S.-Canada hockey rivalry is well established, and has been since the U.S. beat Canada in Montreal in Game 3 of the 1996 World Cup final to win the tournament on Canada's home ice. Maybe Europe didn't care that much, but in 1996, even casual hockey fans in the U.S. were paying attention to the World Cup and cheering on the U.S. team. The tournament was, of course, giant in Canada.

2. Heartbreaking loss to Canada today after two fine U.S. rallies. Coming back against such a stacked, strong Canadian team, in Canada, from both 3-0 and 4-2 deficits, only to lose the game with 47 seconds left in regulation, is a backbreaker. At the very least, we should have gotten it to overtime. With that said, today's game could have gone either way, and it should give the U.S. team confidence that they can beat anybody if they play their game and give 100% for 60 minutes. The U.S. still has a chance for gold, and they should give 100% effort the rest of the way. At the very least, a medal of some sort looks like a realistic achievement for this U.S. team.

3. Cam Ward can be had. I think Pascal Leclaire is better. If Canada sticks with Ward, there is a chance at an upset.

4. Goaltending aside, Canada's roster at this tournament is far more accomplished than that of the U.S. Canada was favored in this game, and for good reason. The Canadian roster is stacked with NHL stars in their primes. The U.S. roster is filled with good, young emerging NHL players (some of whom will definitely end up as bonafide NHL stars) and a few decent NHL veterans, but is not up to the standard of the Canadian roster.

5. If Tim Thomas bounces back from today's poor performance and the U.S. goaltending between he and Craig Anderson is strong for the rest of the tournament, I think the U.S. will pull out a medal.

Marc
    good and valid points. In my view, Canada is not playing a true team game. The forwards are not supporting the puck carrier to allow for short, quick passes. Canada is known for cycling the puck down low to create pressure and scoring chances. I did not see that in today's game against the U.S. And last, I still think there is a tendency for some of the players to overpass instead of getting the puck deep and creating a strong physical forcheck. If they dont make the adjustments, I dont see a gold medal. The U.S. impressed me with a strong team game today, and were somewhat unfortunate in the result.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsberg View Post
    I think Italy will go to division 1 for sure. Slovenia will stay,they can beat Norway, it gonna be hard one, but they can do it!
    they already have done it this year, so why not twice more?

Good games yesterday. I think the quality of the games is improving as teams start to gel. I keep hearing how some of the developing teams are not in the same league as the elite teams but I'm really impressed with their play. On this small ice it's proving to be problematic what with the size/strength differences but when the tournament goes back to the larger ice surface the differences won't be so dramatic. Also, while watching the games last night I thought it's pretty good that we get to see the Worlds played on different sized ice surfaces - it really shows how nations develop their styles and it also exposes weaknesses.

Finally in defence of my fellow "bottom-feeders" in the standings - seems that we just haven't learned the unofficial rules of the system: follow second-hand BWIN odds and make the game score predictions late in the day to account for any second hand news. Maybe us "flounders" are relying on our own knowledge while the "sharks" are just scavenging...I'm not saying, just saying

hah, did you see that slovenia vs latvia game? slovenia was joke. Maybe slovenian federation was told them before game, that players will not receive their money i was wise enough to go bed after second period. VERY BAD game...

Slovenia will get relegated, norway or slovakia are just too strong, considering that even latvia was dominating slovenia. How they played better against USA or Canada than weaker Latvija? can someone please explain this?

Quote Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
    They do. And Slovenia will play Slovakia in the playdowns!

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    Good games yesterday. I think the quality of the games is improving as teams start to gel. I keep hearing how some of the developing teams are not in the same league as the elite teams but I'm really impressed with their play. On this small ice it's proving to be problematic what with the size/strength differences but when the tournament goes back to the larger ice surface the differences won't be so dramatic. Also, while watching the games last night I thought it's pretty good that we get to see the Worlds played on different sized ice surfaces - it really shows how nations develop their styles and it also exposes weaknesses.
    I think yesterdays games were horrible to watch. There was only one good game, and you can said which game it was even before pucks were dropped. In my mind weaker teams has been much weaker here than europe. Or why SOG are something like 70-15 after every game between "better" and "weaker" team? please, explain this..
    sorry but i have now supporter of 10-12 teams participating in these parties

Quote Originally Posted by welmu View Post
    I think yesterdays games were horrible to watch. There was only one good game, and you can said which game it was even before pucks were dropped. In my mind weaker teams has been much weaker here than europe. Or why SOG are something like 70-15 after every game between "better" and "weaker" team? please, explain this..
    Well in this case it would be horrible to watch Finland fighting to avoid relegation
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welmu View Post
    On some days, you'll see upsets and really strong playing "small" hockey nations, on other days they will have no chance at all.

What bothers me, is that very often I got the impression that fans of the bigger nations can't handle their teams being superior. What the heck is wrong with different quality levels? This must be the only sport in the world, where weaker nations seem to have no right to play with the strong ones. Could that also be a reason that hockey - though I love it so much - will never ever reach the worldwide meaning which I loved it to have?

Maybe we should trade players between nations just like they trade players in the NHL, if that is the system to keep everything tight, well...! There are days on which I hope, fans of the bigger nations should experience the smaller nation's situations a few years. Or maybe some people from Finland and Slovakia can tell us ( though these were totally different things ), or have they jusr forgotten?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanseatic View Post
    On some days, you'll see upsets and really strong playing "small" hockey nations, on other days they will have no chance at all.

What bothers me, is that very often I got the impression that fans of the bigger nations can't handle their teams being superior. What the heck is wrong with different quality levels? This must be the only sport in the world, where weaker nations seem to have no right to play with the strong ones. Could that also be a reason that hockey - though I love it so much - will never ever reach the worldwide meaning which I loved it to have?

Maybe we should trade players between nations just like they trade players in the NHL, if that is the system to keep everything tight, well...! There are days on which I hope, fans of the bigger nations should experience the smaller nation's situations a few years. Or maybe some people from Finland and Slovakia can tell us ( though these were totally different things ), or have they jusr forgotten?
    Good points hanseatic.
    First, I can handle that some weaker teams like slovenia are not there with Finland, Slovakia, Canada etc. There is nothing wrong with that. But thing which bothered me yesterday was Denmark and Slovenias lack of heart, they looked disinterested and doesn't give 100% (you know what i mean). When i play some games I always give 100% effort,(that could be just me) thats why I hated their last night performers. If i would give at least good effort and 100%, I expect same for the National team players. Norway played good against finland and they fought there, if you compare their performance that night to the slovenias last night, there is clear difference. And other thing is that, slovenias opponent was Latvija and Norways was Finland....

I really hope these smaller nations could improve. Maybe they are played just bad these games, maybe not... also it is bigger gap between these teams because there are so many nhlers playing right now, and those players play mostly for bigger teams.
    Last edited by welmu; 07-05-2008 at 15:27.

hanseatic you made a comment and I was thinking about something two days ago similar, I would say something about it, but I can't remember what I was thinking. It was good comment to go with yours.

Last year I said Canada should be relegated so they take this tournament seriously, during the tournament when we were considered underrated and no shot at winning because of the team we had. Can you imagine a day Canada ever got relegated, hell would freeze over and Rapunzel would rule hades.

IHF Member
    I agree with welmu Slovenia is a joke. Some players just dont belong on the roster, and others are showing much worse as they could. There is no fighting spirit and will in this team. They dont deserve to stay in elite division. I cant belive how can any serious team allow their best player is getting beaten up so much as Kopitar did in last 2 games? You have to protect him even if that means penalties.. Just look at his face, no wonder he has no energy after half of the game..

IHF Member
    True, and that's what relegation is for, if they are not able to bring their best, let another nation take their place. That's okay, fair, fine.

But no need to think about cutting the whole thing down to 8 or 10 nations. I've seen so many poor efforts of bigger nations over the years, efforts that might have shown about 30% of their potential without the risk of getting relegated because they were already through. So, who is paying the higher price then and who is doing worse to the game of hockey? My answer is clear....

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by PopBrobert View Post
    I agree with welmu Slovenia is a joke. Some players just dont belong on the roster, and others are showing much worse as they could. There is no fighting spirit and will in this team. They dont deserve to stay in elite division. I cant belive how can any serious team allow their best player is getting beaten up so much as Kopitar did in last 2 games? You have to protect him even if that means penalties.. Just look at his face, no wonder he has no energy after half of the game..
    So where the hell is Groznik?????

To be serious, I hope SLO stay up - it's a tremendous hockey nation given the "size" of the country (although this is irrelevant on the ice). I think they have the potential but having it and using it is too different things sometimes, I know.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information