• SUI vs CZE - The Czech Republic will win

25 60.98%
  • USA vs GER - The United States will win

35 85.37%
  • USA vs GER - Germany will win

5 12.20%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Day 7 - Thursday May 8th - SWE vs DEN, CAN vs NOR, SUI vs CZE, USA vs GER

Quote Originally Posted by kun View Post
    It's already been pointed out. Post #73 I also have a tiny bit of Stigmatism, which only now as I got older am I realizing it might have an impact, as well other things I do with detail, such as drawing.

"Astigmatism is when the cornea of the eye is shaped like a rugby ball rather than being spherical. It causes the eye to have two focal points rather than one and can lead to strain and headaches if uncorrected. Astigmatism is the 'Cylinder' value in a prescription.

Around 70% of people who wear spectacles have astigmatism. It can also be corrected with toric contact lenses and laser eye surgery.

People with severe astigmatism may experience double vision if it not corrected. "
    astigmatism? really? :)
    wasn't it just a bad knowledge of geography?
    well, anyway, as they say, live and learn.
    Life is a game

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrfingr View Post

oh yeah 0-5 atm
    is it still funny? guess, it is!
    Life is a game

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    USA - Germany are tied at 4-4 despite a 35-10 advantage in shots for the USA. Germany has scored on its only shot of the third period.

Finally, Craig Anderson has been yanked by US coach John Tortorella after giving up 4 goals on 10 shots - a terrible, terrible performance.

The US is absolutely dominating play, but has nothing to show for it due to poor goaltending.

We can see just how important Tim Thomas was for the US prior to getting injured. Anderson is normally a good goalie; I don't know what the heck happened to him tonight.

Robert Esche, who played for Ak Bars Kazan in the Russian Superleague this past season, is now in goal for the USA.

This is the USA's first poor performance of the tournament.

They had better wake up or they will lose this game.
    This is Tampa Bay all over again for Tortorella.....
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

US now up 5-4 with a Zach Parise goal on the power play.

The crowd booed when the US scored.

Canadian fans really root against the USA......I used to cheer for Canada every chance I got as long as they were not playing against the USA. However, for the past few years, witnessing Canadian fans root against the USA no matter what has caused me to root against Canada, which is a shame. When hockey is not at issue, Americans and Canadians get along really, really well.
    Last edited by Marc Brunengraber; 09-05-2008 at 04:33.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    Well if you are right, with your forecast, than i´ll eat my hat.
    where's that guy? he'd better find a hat and get ready for a meal.

P.S. oops, it's a pity, the plans for that historic meal have just been ruined by an empty-netter.
    Last edited by Dimash; 09-05-2008 at 04:35.
    Life is a game

I've been watching a bunch of the games on the internet.

I'm surprised at how poorly attended they have been.

@ hungarianfan
    once again you have no idea! like your other post's^^
    btw. after this WC Switzerland is in the wolrd ranking for sure under the top 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonsorrow View Post
    @ hungarianfan
    once again you have no idea! like your other post's^^
    btw. after this WC Switzerland is in the wolrd ranking for sure under the top 7.
    yeah, sooo close to cze. almost within a touch.
    Life is a game

Well, Robert Esche came in and did a nice job. He didn't allow a goal and looked solid.

Final score USA 6, Germany 4.

It should not have been that close.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimash View Post
    i mean not the game vs. the czech im mean such posts like this from him:

Being a Swiss, or Norwegian fan, it is OK, that they enjoying the game, but I'm being a neutral, just watching this ...
    Having an outstanding goaltender, and then defending with 5 men, and waiting for miracle and big luck happen, for me it is not hockey. It is killing or pretending to play hockey.
    I understand that these teams have only this chance to make good results, just please, being a neutral, I hope they won't get anything. No offence, just they don't deserve that, if you compare them to the better teams, or with such teams, who try to play combinative, attractive hockey.

^---
    what is absolutly not true, when you look at the game vs. Sweden.

@ dimash

btw. enjoy the last 3 belarus games ;)
    because that 3 is last games from belarus that you see in this year on the WC.

i mean not the game vs. the czech
    i don't mean this game either. i mean the difference in hockey quality level in general.
    Life is a game

of course the czech's have the better hockey no question about that^^

scores and Qualifying Round Standings after day 7

Group E

Sweden 8 Denmark 1 (2-0, 2-0, 4-1)

Switzerland 0 Czech Republic 5 (0-1, 0-3, 0-1)

Group F

Canada 2 Norway 1 (1-0, 0-1, 1-0)

USA 6 Germany 4 (3-2, 1-1, 2-1)

Group E
    #TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Czech Republic2010714-7
    2Sweden2001616-10
    3Switzerland200166-8
    4Russia110059-5
    5Belarus000206-8
    6Denmark000204-17

Group F
    #TeamWOTWOTLLPTSGF-GA
    1Canada3000914-5
    2USA2001614-9
    3Finland110058-3
    4Norway101146-7
    5Germany000307-14
    6Latvia000200-11

Day 8 Games
    Group E
    Russia VS. Belarus

Group F
    Finland VS. Latvia

Relegation
    Slovenia VS. Slovakia
    France VS. Italy
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

@ dimash

btw. enjoy the last 3 belarus games ;)
    because that 3 is last games from belarus that you see in this year on the WC.
    well, i'm pretty sure next time we'll remind you of wc2006.
    btw, enjoy your last 3 games at this wc. of course you can avoid humiliation in the quarter-finals as there's always a chance... losing to the danes will be a wise move in the right direction :)
    Life is a game

Well, Robert Esche came in and did a nice job. He didn't allow a goal and looked solid.
    Final score USA 6, Germany 4.
    It should not have been that close.
    Well, after the US was leading 3-0 after 3 minutes (!) it really should not have been so close.
    I predicted a 7-0 for team USA in the end today. After it stood 3-0 so early in the game, i really thought my forecast may be right.
    But the german team has showed some great morale. 0-3 down so early, paetzold let every shot in... ...i really thought we loose very high in the end, without scoring a single goal.
    But our team came back, and how they did, almost every single PP was a goal, fantastic!
    Bad thing was, we lost in the end, because we took to much penalties again, and maybe because of these 3 early goals. It was just too much.
    Last year in moscow we also played against the US during the qualification round and we lost with a final score 0-3. So this one was way better this year, except the terrible start and those 3 early goals.
    Too bad we still got no points, we should have earned 1 point at least, we were so close near it.
    Same for norway: Norway and germany, both teams played really good against the big favourites today, and deserved some points, but in the end, both lost and earn 0 points.

Anyway quarter-finals are out of sight for our team, but if we keep up to play well, we may beat latvia at least for a better positioning in the ranking of the world championship.

Canada is warned now and i don´t think we got a chance against the best team of this year´s tournament. You may disagree here, but i think they have the best roster of all teams.
    We have still the worst penalty-killing of all teams in the tournament, and that is a huge problem. I don´t see any chances to grab points in this game.

IHF Prospect
    US now up 5-4 with a Zach Parise goal on the power play.

The crowd booed when the US scored.

Canadian fans really root against the USA......I used to cheer for Canada every chance I got as long as they were not playing against the USA. However, for the past few years, witnessing Canadian fans root against the USA no matter what has caused me to root against Canada, which is a shame. When hockey is not at issue, Americans and Canadians get along really, really well.
    Canadians don't generally cheer for the US, who has turned into a considerable rival. Just like Finns won't cheer for Sweden and vice versa (as I understand).

Part of it is the Canadian penchant for cheering for the underdog. Part of it is a certain worry that the US could someday overtake Canada at one of the few sports we excel at, and part of
    it is the reluctance for us to cheer for a rival.

So, don't take it personally. We'll cheer against you from the drop of the puck until the final buzzer, and then buy you a beer to ease your sorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Smith View Post
    Canadians don't generally cheer for the US, who has turned into a considerable rival. Just like Finns won't cheer for Sweden and vice versa (as I understand).

Part of it is the Canadian penchant for cheering for the underdog. Part of it is a certain worry that the US could someday overtake Canada at one of the few sports we excel at, and part of
    it is the reluctance for us to cheer for a rival.

So, don't take it personally. We'll cheer against you from the drop of the puck until the final buzzer, and then buy you a beer to ease your sorrow!
    That and the smaller neighbours tend not to cheer for their bigger brothers (even if they share many cultural similarities). Ireland/Scotland/Wales and England, Finland and Sweden/Russia, Korea and Japan, Vietnam/Mongolia and China, etc. Not sure about Kiwis and Aussies, Austrians/Swiss and Germans, etc. but I wouldn't be surprised.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

Pretty good showing by Norway (especially goaltending) shots were 52-16 against?. From what I read and saw of the highlights, it looked like Canada really has to learn to tone down the NHL style game and keep the penalty minutes down because a good PP will start to catch up to them. Can't always blame the refs (or posts or broken sticks)

But the style that Canada plays won't change - they have to individually be aware of how they need to play. This shows in Hitchcock giving the team the day off (no practice) today.

well, i'm pretty sure next time we'll remind you of wc2006.
    Well, на халяву winning something in wc2006 doesn't qualify you to be a better team than Switzerland. Why didn't you win Sweden, why had a bad game vs France?

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    Pretty good showing by Norway (especially goaltending) shots were 52-16 against?. From what I read and saw of the highlights, it looked like Canada really has to learn to tone down the NHL style game and keep the penalty minutes down because a good PP will start to catch up to them. Can't always blame the refs (or posts or broken sticks)
    Only thing Canada had to do in this game was to play really concentrated and wise. And the result would be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabal View Post
    Well, after the US was leading 3-0 after 3 minutes (!) it really should
    Canada is warned now and i don´t think we got a chance against the best team of this year´s tournament. You may disagree here, but i think they have the best roster of all teams.
    We have still the worst penalty-killing of all teams in the tournament, and that is a huge problem. I don´t see any chances to grab points in this game.

No disagreements here, we only have a handful of top players in our team this year. Not that our domestic players aren't good, but up til this point they have shown a lack of cohesion for the game. What we really miss is a strong forward play with players who can produce goals, which is where a few top players would really matter at this point. And besides skill they do bring in that confidence that any team needs. It's just way too sloppy handling with the pucks from what i'm used to see, especially against the Swizz who played really great in my oppinion.

IHF Member
    Sure the czech are much stronger than the swiss, that's no question .
    But Czech have had three days ago an easy game vs.Italy and then two days rest while switzerland had a hard game vs sweden one day before.
    In the probably QF vs. the same Czech, maybe will be an another history......

i mean not the game vs. the czech im mean such posts like this from him:

Being a Swiss, or Norwegian fan, it is OK, that they enjoying the game, but I'm being a neutral, just watching this ...
    Having an outstanding goaltender, and then defending with 5 men, and waiting for miracle and big luck happen, for me it is not hockey. It is killing or pretending to play hockey.
    I understand that these teams have only this chance to make good results, just please, being a neutral, I hope they won't get anything. No offence, just they don't deserve that, if you compare them to the better teams, or with such teams, who try to play combinative, attractive hockey.

^---
    what is absolutly not true, when you look at the game vs. Sweden.
    I'm sure that if swiss will try to play more offensive game they will lose bad numbers. Ralph Krueger knows that. Switzerland shoots about 15-25 times for every game, that tells something. Problem with swiss players is that they have no hands, you know, they look very good skaters but i don't see pure skill there. They are very good 3/4 liners but not good at the offensive zone. When you win its because powerplay, good goalie and tight defense.

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post

But the style that Canada plays won't change - they have to individually be aware of how they need to play. This shows in Hitchcock giving the team the day off (no practice) today.
    despite the SOG stat, I think canada was not motivated enough for this game it almost looked like they were disinterested. Norway really looked tired out there. Even their powerplay was horrible to watch. Refs were not good at this game, first Toews get penalty while just touching norwegian with his stick, then Burns almost killed Bastiansen with highstick and no penalty... couple of bad decisions by the refs yesterday

IHF Member
    Vs. Sweden Swiss shoot 28 times on Liv and they outshot Belarus and France.

Of course Switzerland doesn't have that offensive skill like the Elite-nations, but there are some players who have those possibilitites, especially Sprunger and Wick are very skilled offenders and they're still very young and have time to improve. But of course you are right, Switzerland can only succeed if the rely on their Defence. For the upcoming NHL-draft 3 Swiss players are highly-ranked, no surprise that all are defenders (Roman Josi, Lukas Stoop, Luca Sbisa).

Edit: What I forgot. What's the sense of bashing each other for the performance of a team? Hey, it's just a game, don't forget that and discuss on a objective level.

Quote Originally Posted by jonas View Post
    Vs. Sweden Swiss shoot 28 times on Liv and they outshot Belarus and France.

Of course Switzerland doesn't have that offensive skill like the Elite-nations, but there are some players who have those possibilitites, especially Sprunger and Wick are very skilled offenders and they're still very young and have time to improve. But of course you are right, Switzerland can only succeed if the rely on their Defence. For the upcoming NHL-draft 3 Swiss players are highly-ranked, no surprise that all are defenders (Roman Josi, Lukas Stoop, Luca Sbisa).

Edit: What I forgot. What's the sense of bashing each other for the performance of a team? Hey, it's just a game, don't forget that and discuss on a objective level.
    i'm not bashing them yes, this is just a game.... but i like to be critical mostly just realistic
    and hey, if your attitude is like that, i mean you take it too easy... maybe it's not surprise that you're not been too succesive

IHF Member
    The bashing thing was not directed to your posting, which was surely very objective. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by jonas View Post
    The bashing thing was not directed to your posting, which was surely very objective. ;)
    okay i guess i'm tired too

As said before, the SWI system requires a lot of strength, speed and concentration and thus can be kept up efficiently only over a limited period of time.

I speak out of experience as my home team EV Zug plays an almost identical system, and whenever there was a double round (i.e. FR/SA or SA/SU games), the chance that they won the first game against no matter which opponent was at 75%, while the chance of loosing the 2nd game was more or less the same....

So we can be lucky that not DEN was opponent, because if they would have played as determined as NOR or GER, then SWI most probably wouldn't have had the class of USA or CAN to win the game narrowly nevertheless.

And let's face it: This CZE team played so cool, fast and precise, that even if SWI would've had enough power to keep up the system, CZE would've won latest in OT nevertheless...

But now there is enough time to load batteries and then play ag. DEN like ag. FRA and then save power ag. RUS for 1/4 final...

Quote Originally Posted by rusher View Post
    Well, на халяву winning something in wc2006 doesn't qualify you to be a better team than Switzerland. Why didn't you win Sweden, why had a bad game vs France?
    на халяву? lol man, look up the stats of that wc or get the videos of belarus games at wc2006.
    на халяву team latvia managed to squeeze through to the torino og's.
    Life is a game

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information