Thread: Sherwood files with creditors

Sherwood files with creditors

With most players using composite sticks these days, the demand for wooden sticks has drastically declined.

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...d-4a3065ffb43c

These were the sticks I used to have growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    With most players using composite sticks these days, the demand for wooden sticks has drastically declined.

Spezza better start buying in serious quantity then Actually he's hooped cause wood sticks are only good for a year before they start getting too dry.

I used the 5030 and then 7030 up until a few years ago. The stick I went to was a Louisville TPS Tri-core which is a wood laminate (aspen) over a composite blank. I use a wood blade (can't beat that still). The kicker is that Louisville quit making the tri-core because (players and TPS reps say) - the stick was too durable. It held up better when nicked or gauged which is the downfall of comp sticks.

So maybe Sher-wood should look into that niche. I've still got a couple of tri-cores but they've all been snapped up off the market. But of course Sher-wood moving their plants to places of cheap labour never really addressed the issue did it? Sorry RexKramer, had to bring it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post

Well, if you ask me and you kind of did when you posted this thread. Sher-wood should start a new advertising campaign. They sould promote the wooden stick a little better.

First of all, I think I have better flex with a wooden stick. Second, they should promote it kind of like a guy with his first love...his car! Kind of take it back to the nostalgia days when wood stick ruled.

Plus, with the cost of Petroleum, surly the composite stick will go up in price. It's not necessarily the fiberglass that the increase in the cost, but the chemicals to bind all of that fiberglass and stuff together.

Just a thought!

Head coach

Quote Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
    Well, if you ask me and you kind of did when you posted this thread. Sher-wood should start a new advertising campaign. They sould promote the wooden stick a little better.

First of all, I think I have better flex with a wooden stick. Second, they should promote it kind of like a guy with his first love...his car! Kind of take it back to the nostalgia days when wood stick ruled.

Plus, with the cost of Petroleum, surly the composite stick will go up in price. It's not necessarily the fiberglass that the increase in the cost, but the chemicals to bind all of that fiberglass and stuff together.

Just a thought!

Head coach

Actually HeadC - my comp stick (whip) is more flexible AND stays that way whereas the 7030 didn't hold the flex for long. The wood stick is a better feeling stick I'll say that. And no one steals them from you at the arena

I don't know if there's a marketing hope for Sher-wood. It really is too bad cause they do have a place in our hockey hearts...

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post
    Actually HeadC - my comp stick (whip) is more flexible AND stays that way whereas the 7030 didn't hold the flex for long. The wood stick is a better feeling stick I'll say that. And no one steals them from you at the arena

I don't know if there's a marketing hope for Sher-wood. It really is too bad cause they do have a place in our hockey hearts...
    I have alot of flex from a Koho street hockey stick, it bends from just putting a little pressure on it.

I have a Sher-wood 5066 I use as my main practice stick because it isn't quite long enough to use for games. There is still a market for wooden sticks. People who just play for fun without any serious intentions are certainly not going to pay US$ 200 for a stick when good wood can be had for $15-30. As leftofcenter said, one small gauge in a composite and the stick falls apart, so there should be a demand for wooden sticks. Sher-wood just need to market them, probably heading the nostalgia route as Headcoach said.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

....i use Sherwoods.
    Sherwood composite sticks, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    ....i use Sherwoods.
    Sherwood composite sticks, actually.
    Shercomp, huh?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

yeah, i got 2 of 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by leftofcenter View Post

To be honest, I worked with a composite stick last night and it had a lot of flex. I think it was a KOHO and it was pretty nice. I just might have to get me one of them.

Who said you can't teach an old dog a new trick!

Head Coach

Thread Information