Thread: Effect of the smaller ice on game play & more competitive scores + General impression

2008 IHWC Effect of the smaller ice on game play & more competitive scores + General impression

Just wondering if some of you have noticed the same thing in watching the games (I have only seen parts of Canada's 4 games).

It seems to me that the smaller ice size is actually helping the 2nd and 3rd tier nations compete with the big-boys.

With a smaller surface for a defensive team to cover, Canada seems to have less odd-man rushes vs the likes of Norway and Latvia than even the past couple of years when there would be more room to utilize their speed and skill on European ice. Even yesterday, Canada had 52 shots, but a higher percentage seemed to be from the perimeter than in close as in previous years. There are number of closer games across the board (eg, Belarus is leading Russia 2-1 after 40 minutes).

1.) Has anyone notice the same thing in other games?
    2.) Has any player, coach, media from the European nations commented on this, or just playing on the NHL-sized ice in general?
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Yes I've noticed this. The smaller ice gives a more tactical edge to teams like Norway, Switzerland and Belarus who play tactic hockey. I saw it in the first game with Italy, how certain elements came into play.

It is easier to defense maybe but there has been big blowouts still. SOG in many games has looked ugly, and bigger teams been dominating these games. My mind teams like latvija and belarus looked better in european size ice than north american. Switzerland has looked good though. Overall I don't see big difference

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by welmu View Post
    It is easier to defense maybe but there has been big blowouts still. SOG in many games has looked ugly, and bigger teams been dominating these games. My mind teams like latvija and belarus looked better in european size ice than north american. Switzerland has looked good though. Overall I don't see big difference
    There are tons of SOG on bigger teams than for small European teams so if they know how to play in offensive zone and stay there a bit longer, the SOG for the bigger team would be lesser than it indicated. There are factors when I watched Canadian team against european teams so far, they don't know what to do with puck when they are in offensive zone, they looked lost and sometimes lose the puck to Canada and they go other way. The key is to know how to retain the puck possession when there's pressure. There are some miscommunication and they lose possession faster. Canada is able to keep the pressure on when they're on offensive zone for longer period of time, outworking them and make them defend harder than it should be.

Another factor is that retaining the puck handling possession is harder on smaller ice than bigger ice so you need strength to retain the puck or better board battles, that way, they would be able to keep the puck in offensive zone and maybe a better scoring quality chances.

It does not matter how they score, as long as they score a garbage goal, it's exciting that way than pretty goal all the time. I don't mind skilled goals but if they can score a garbage goal then all power to them. Canadian seems to know how to score a garbage goal than other nations. The goal of the game is to score a goal in many ways.

Finally, the factor remains the same, unless European adapt the smaller ice, they will always struggle on the physical side of the game and would not be able to battle hard along the board better than Canada and the U.S. Russians seem to know how to play because they have played in NHL and they liked to play in smaller ice than in bigger ice. Playing in smaller ice rink helps to lessen the individual plays and emphasis more teamwork than playing on Europe ice encourage more individual skills rather than team play. I find that there is more balance for both teams when playing on smaller ice than on bigger ice surface, where there is unbalance play because the more skilled the team is, the less the underdog can achieve anything on skill-wise.

Growing up on smaller ice helps them to react faster in a smaller space and I am more impressed with Nash and Green doing some skills even in a small space leading up to a beautiful goals.

I would love to hear what the coaches, players or medias from Europe comment on the smaller ice surface if they like it or not.

well, the main thing is still that good teams have more talented players than smaller nations. It's hard to compare teams if others are playing example austrian erste bank league and other players coming from nhl. It really seems that some teams have motivation problems when playing against weaker teams, that's then makes it hard for them. I have seen this tournament played in europe many times and honestly don't think there is big difference. There is always surprises, this is not the first tournament when we see norway taking 1 point against finland or belarus tying against russia.

Basically all the big nations have more individual skill than the small nations. They just don't have enough room to use it. The rink is so narrow it's easy for any team to cover the whole center ice. Teams with good feet suffer from it. When a "better" team accomplishes to carry the puck to the offensive zone, the first shot comes from a longer distance than normally and this makes them inaccurate. This influences also the powerplay.
    Aqua jacta est

IHF Member
    Basically all the big nations have more individual skill than the small nations. They just don't have enough room to use it. The rink is so narrow it's easy for any team to cover the whole center ice. Teams with good feet suffer from it. When a "better" team accomplishes to carry the puck to the offensive zone, the first shot comes from a longer distance than normally and this makes them inaccurate. This influences also the powerplay.
    There has been some case that shots from blue line and long distance shots has been either, let in by goaltender or a juicy rebound that can be scored by that. It is part of the game so sometimes every shot is a scoring chance! Shots from the point has been effective in NHL and opposition team has paid the price for let the point shot go many times. Point shots is a good way to score a goal. Sometimes there was a shot from red line that has been let in by NHL goaltenders. If it were not for blocked shots in a NHL game, the SOG would be much higher. Blocked shots averaged 14 to 16 blocked shots a game so that is why other teams in world championship doesnt block shots well and it is the factor for inflated shots in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Just wondering if some of you have noticed the same thing in watching the games ...

1.) Has anyone notice the same thing in other games?
    2.) Has any player, coach, media from the European nations commented on this, or just playing on the NHL-sized ice in general?
    Quote Originally Posted by pihinalle View Post
    Yes, Jazz, at least in finnish tv game studio the hockey professionals (coaches and players) have commented on that several times. What they said is basically what Pihis wrote in his post. Some of them even discussed in a positive tone of the possibility to change the IIHF rules in order to play all the World Champions an Olympics in the NHL-size rink in the future.

I really don't want Europe to copy our style or our Ice Rink size. It's what primarily makes the sport of hockey attractive and it's served us well for 8 decades (semantics of time line). These "experts" always talk as if they know what's good for the game. Nor incorporate the NHL sized rinks to World Championships and Olympics.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kun View Post
    I really don't want Europe to copy our style or our Ice Rink size. It's what primarily makes the sport of hockey attractive and it's served us well for 8 decades (semantics of time line). These "experts" always talk as if they know what's good for the game. Nor incorporate the NHL sized rinks to World Championships and Olympics.
    That is why I have proposed in other thread and let each national federations decide what size to adapt when they host world championship or olympics on which size they want to use for their advantage. Maybe small country would adapt the NA style rink or whatever they feel the most comfortable with and other country would prefer bigger ice to suit their game. It's like tennis in Davis Cup where each country decide which surface to use, clay, grass or hardcourt when hosting a match. Finland can use their Finnish surface which is 90X200, I believe. It's up to their preference. It is all about home ice advantage. I remember there was smaller than NHL sized arenas such as Boston Garden and Chicago STadium, where it was 83X190 rink size and it created a whole different game and more intensity games. Boston Bruins enjoyed that home ice advantage for many years.

Each country should adapt their own style according to the rink size and their game. It should not be converted to standard hockey style but their own unique style that works for that specific style. Canada has their own Canadian way, Swedish has their own style and Russia has their own puck possession style so each styles clash and make for an interesting game.

While I would love to see Europe adapt the NA rink size which I believe it is the real hockey but each country should have their right to choose their own rink size. However, there should be a limit on how IIHF impose to how big and how small rink each national can choose and let the host country decide on which size they want to use for WC or Olympics whether it's NA, Finnish or International size rink.

In my opinion, it will take another 100 years for more countries to be a contender for a gold medal game than just the 6 countries we have now.

Coolboarder.
    Last edited by coolboarder; 11-05-2008 at 08:28.

Hmm i dont think it really help,? on smallert ice, at least i have notcied that better nations outcrash worser nations in shot statistics, like overt 60 shots in some games, that is sick, ill keep to the big ices. cause we saw Germany get banged by Canada yesterday and they shoot like 45 - 60 shots?

That Pal Grotnes, Masalskis and Koval they played excellent in their games and their nations lost by 1 - 2 goals. only in games between Slovenia - USA and Slovenia against Canada both scores was 5 - 1 and USA and Canada shot over 50+ shots. but Kristan was good" over 90%

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    While I would love to see Europe adapt the NA rink size which I believe it is the real hockey but each country should have their right to choose their own rink size. However, there should be a limit on how IIHF impose to how big and how small rink each national can choose and let the host country decide on which size they want to use for WC or Olympics whether it's NA, Finnish or International size rink.
    What about Asia, Africa, South America and Oceania? Should they adopt North American rink sizes as well, or can they remain with the standard international standard?

Please keep in mind, coolboarder, that there are TWO countries that have their own rink size standard: Canada and USA.
    Every other nation is guided by the rink size that was regulated by the world governing body for the sport of ice hockey. Why should the entire world change for two countries?
    Rather, I believe that the NHL and the North American federations should change their rink sizes to bring their game in line with the rest of the hockey world.
    And while some of you will surely think so, I do NOT believe that it would affect the physical side of the game that over time has become such a staple of the North American hockey

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    What about Asia, Africa, South America and Oceania? Should they adopt North American rink sizes as well, or can they remain with the standard international standard?

Please keep in mind, coolboarder, that there are TWO countries that have their own rink size standard: Canada and USA.
    Every other nation is guided by the rink size that was regulated by the world governing body for the sport of ice hockey. Why should the entire world change for two countries?
    Rather, I believe that the NHL and the North American federations should change their rink sizes to bring their game in line with the rest of the hockey world.
    And while some of you will surely think so, I do NOT believe that it would affect the physical side of the game that over time has become such a staple of the North American hockey
    Actually, Finland also uses something different that IIHF standards. I think their rinks ae 92 feet wide (or around there), compared to the IIHF's 100 feet and North America's 85 feet.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

Eh? Now Klaus Zuagg is advocating Europe changing to North American size standards......

There have been discussions in the past about enlarging NHL rinks to the European size. The idea behind this would be to give the offensive superstars more space and time to show off their skills.

But I believe that the 2008 IIHF World Championship could end up being one of the moments that changed the game.

Here we finally have a tournament with 16 national teams on the small rinks, and the level of the game is better in all aspects. The intensity is higher. There is more action, and the action is closer to the net. A mistake is costly, and it's almost impossible to dictate the games with a mechanical defensive strategy. Just remember how great the 1987 Canada Cup finals were - on the small rinks in Montreal and Hamilton.

In my opinion, the Europeans should start to think about switching over their rinks to the smaller North American size.
    http://www.iihf.com/channels/iihf-wo...ash=ecff487dbb

Apparently these are the Finnish rink sizes.

Blues: 28 x 58 m
    HIFK: 28 x 60 m
    HPK: 30 x 58 m
    Ilves: 28 x 60 m
    Jokerit: 30 x 60 m
    JYP: 28 x 60 m
    Kärpät: 29.5 x 60 m
    Lukko: 29 x 59 m
    Pelicans: 28 x 58 m
    SaiPa: 28.5 x 60 m
    Tappara: 28 x 60 m
    TPS: 30 x 58 m
    Ässät: 28 x 58 m

Maybe they're more ideal if you feel that NHL rinks are too small but international rinks are too big. It's interesting how much they vary. The Finnish federation's rules specify that rinks must be 56-61 m in length and 26-30 m in width. Perhaps a happy middleground is in Finland! :)

And maybe this also explains how Finland seems to have always played a grittier, more physical style before other European nations.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

Actually, Finland also uses something different that IIHF standards. I think their rinks ae 92 feet wide (or around there), compared to the IIHF's 100 feet and North America's 85 feet.
    Well, that might be true. There are bigger and smaller rinks in our league. But I Do definetly think they are smaller than other european rinks. EG GLOBEN(Stockholm) was discriped as an airport by a finnish player.

Quote Originally Posted by coolboarder View Post
    That is why I have proposed in other thread and let each national federations decide what size to adapt when they host world championship or olympics on which size they want to use for their advantage. Maybe small country would adapt the NA style rink or whatever they feel the most comfortable with and other country would prefer bigger ice to suit their game. It's like tennis in Davis Cup where each country decide which surface to use, clay, grass or hardcourt when hosting a match. Finland can use their Finnish surface which is 90X200, I believe. It's up to their preference. It is all about home ice advantage. I remember there was smaller than NHL sized arenas such as Boston Garden and Chicago STadium, where it was 83X190 rink size and it created a whole different game and more intensity games. Boston Bruins enjoyed that home ice advantage for many years.

Each country should adapt their own style according to the rink size and their game. It should not be converted to standard hockey style but their own unique style that works for that specific style. Canada has their own Canadian way, Swedish has their own style and Russia has their own puck possession style so each styles clash and make for an interesting game.

In my opinion, it will take another 100 years for more countries to be a contender for a gold medal game than just the 6 countries we have now.

Coolboarder.
    i would compare this sport more to the football (soccer) than tennis. In football they use same rules almost every country, In hockey rules are different almost every country. I think if we have can have same rules used everywhere and specify the ice size, it's better for this sport.

Maybe they're more ideal if you feel that NHL rinks are too small but international rinks are too big. It's interesting how much they vary. The Finnish federation's rules specify that rinks must be 56-61 m in length and 26-30 m in width. Perhaps a happy middleground is in Finland! :)
    agreed. something like this could be good, maybe they would try 28x58 size ice in WC

I am absolutely against Cool Boarders or your idea. I don't think Canada, USA, Finland or standard rink sizes should change. The way we have it now has served us well for decades. The Europeans shouldn't be analyzing our rinks, and neither us them.

And no, going the standard would impact Canadian NHL style type of hockey. There is a certain dynamic, intensity and tactical nuisance that our ice rinks give us. The same type of tactical nuance that the Russians use to skate and skill on large ice surface. We developed the game on NHL Arena rinks, I'm not willing to adopt increase in rink sizes. Besides don't you think enough of the game has changed already?

Eh? Now Klaus Zuagg is advocating Europe changing to North American size standards......
    Quote Originally Posted by kun View Post
    These "experts" always talk as if they know what's good for the game. Nor incorporate the NHL sized rinks to World Championships and Olympics.

so, in north america it's more about good tactics and gameplan and in europe it's just individual game?? i don't think so..

i would compare this sport more to the football (soccer) than tennis. In football they use same rules almost every country, In hockey rules are different almost every country. I think if we have can have same rules used everywhere and specify the ice size, it's better for this sport.
    I thought the rules were the same for hockey everywhere that's governed by IIHF, but I guess there are many closed leagues now that have their own rules.

Football pitches vary in size within FIFA regulations. Barcelona's Camp Nou's famous for its wide pitch, for example. And they build their team to suit the pitch. Kind of like how baseball teams are built to suit their home stadiums, and I guess Davis Cup teams are selected to take advantage of the surface. I think allowing some variation in the dimensions (nothing ridiculous, something like Finland's regulations are good) instead of forcing them all to be identical adds a little character to the arenas, and is a good thing.
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

so, in north america it's more about good tactics and gameplan and in europe it's just individual game?? i don't think so..
    No I didn't say that, please re-read and decipher what's written before posting.

Now with the tournament over, I am curious what some people here from Europe thought about the smaller ice.

i though it let the game move a little more and it defintaly made the games more intresting as with the smaller ice teams didnt have as much room to move as they have done before in europe

Now with the tournament over, I am curious what some people here from Europe thought about the smaller ice.
    I like more the smaller ice than the bigger ones. This tournament didn't change my opinion on that. Game is more faster on smaller ice and it's more "enjoyable" to the spectators. It would be nice to see small ice used in europe also. Next year ihwc is played in switzerland with a huge and large ice (what i've seen on tv) you can see the difference there.
    However, results in this tournament wasn't much different than previous years and bigger ice.

I found the smaller ice less enjoyable to watch, I felt there were fewer variants in the offense and a lot of skating back and forth between the sides.

I'd like to try a compromise (Finnish) variant. The game on small ice is fast but too ping-pong style: more reflexes, less minds.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Here is a commentary from the Hockey News on the subject.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...sized-ice.html

Russian hero Ilya Kovalchuk said it best when he summed up his team’s ability to come back from a two-goal deficit to win the gold medal game of the World Championship against Canada in overtime Sunday afternoon. “When you’re playing on the big rinks and you’re trailing by two goals, it’s always tough to come back,” Kovalchuk said.

There is a certain contingent of hockey snobs that look down their noses at the NHL product, all the while claiming the international game to be far superior, in large part because the players have so much room to display their creativity.

They are wrong, so wrong.

What the gold medal final of the World Championship – one of the best hockey games witnessed by these eyes in years – proved beyond a doubt is that the game is played at its highest level when the best of the North American pro game and the European game are married to one other.
    The bigger, wider ice provides a neutral zone that needs its own telephone area code, which makes it easy for coaches to dumb the game down by getting an early lead, then simply dumping the puck into the opponents’ zone and lining five players up along the blueline. The Czechs were absolute masters of doing that during their days of world dominance in the late 1990s and early 2000s. There were times watching games involving the Czechs and Swedes at the World Junior Championship that I was yearning for a set of knitting needles to insert into my eye sockets rather than be subject to a second more of that kind of torture.

IHF Member
    I like the old small ice best, but if the choice are between the new small ice whit big zones and the normal ice whit normal zones I will take normal ice whit normal zones.

The big zones are a joke its make the play more static more like handball a PP and BP 5 to 5 and its not good at all its only borring in the end.

The best are small ice whit normal zones but if we got small ice whit big zones normal ice whit normal zones are the best.

I hope NHL goes back to the old small ice whit normal zones.

IHF Member

I completely agree, no reason to change the standard size just for 2 country, standard international size work well for decades now. my observation from games, smaller size rink did have faster games in that there are more turnovers and more back and forth action, the negative was teams also seemed to struggle establishing passing rhythm and flow to develop pass combinations. I believe it depends on what a person's opinion is of a good game to watch. myself prefer passing combination goals and flowing attacks and transition to counter attack and strong mind and clever passes, and not grind play along boards or "garbage" goals. to another person, that grinding play mostly in corners and boards might be good display and nice to watch.
    as for physical play, i agree, standard international size will not change north american physical play, that is their hockey culture and part of their hockey soul.

Thread Information