• BLR vs DEN - Denmark will win

4 9.76%
  • LAT vs GER - Latvia will win

28 68.29%
  • LAT vs GER - Germany will win

13 31.71%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Day 11 - Monday May 12th - USA vs NOR, SUI vs RUS, CAN vs FIN, BLR vs DEN, LAT vs GER

Quote Originally Posted by hungarianfan View Post
    Belarus had 11 exclusions, plus a 10 min warning for Kostitsyn (actually nobody knew why, at least danish comentators and me didn't see anything). When they tied the game, got 5 penalties (3 of them in a row).
    oh come on, now i think belarus has not deserved a spot in the 1/4's
    at least not this year. not with the current head coach mr fraser
    dreadful pp (in fact it's worst ever statistically), slow and deferred defence has not allow team belarus to succeed at this wc.
    Life is a game

Quote Originally Posted by Skratch View Post
    Thanks, Jazz. Perfect excuse for the Germans
    Gott mit dir, du Land der Bayern, deutsche Erde, Vaterland! Über deinen weiten Gauen ruhe seine Segenshand! Er behüte deine Fluren, schirme deiner Städte Bau, und erhalte dir die Farben seines Himmels, weiß und blau!

Gott mit dir, dem Bayernvolke, dass wir, uns'rer Väter wert, fest in Eintracht und in Frieden bauen uns'res Glückes Herd! Dass mit Deutschlands Bruderstämmen einig uns ein jeder schau und den alten Ruhm bewähre unser Banner, weiß und blau!

IHF Member
    Very good for Norway but that a lame finish of Latvia and Belarus.

Denmark did great in the last game but will end 12 any way so Denmark will have a harder road to the Olympics.

Intressting to see if Norway have anytihing left in them for the QF against Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimash View Post
    yo people, just imagine the celebrations in norway :)
    [sarcasm]Yes, all 3 of them.... [/sarcasm]

Seriously, I am curious if this has gotten their NT any good press....I hope so.
    There is no such thing as a "Bad Hockey Market"
    There are, however, several markets with "Bad Hockey"

International Hockey Forums on Social Media:
    https://twitter.com/ihf_forums
    https://www.facebook.com/ihf.forums

maybe that latvia loss was not so bad.. I rather see norway losing 8-0 than latvia losing 13-1 to canada... But yeah, it would have been nice to end championships in quarterfinals, congrats to norway. I hope you will not lose big numbers. btw, why daugavins not played last night? I didn't see him...
    maybe next year latvia, maybe...

Denmark had 2 SOG in 3rd period. If oyu think Belarus had luck .... and still think, Belarus and Latvia are both closer to the elite thna Switzerland.
    Do you know why? They can play their own game vs even the best teams, and not playing bunker hockey. When you will play tight games vs the best, you can say you are closer to top.
    But I admit, Belarus goaltending was bad, and the PP efficiency too throughout all WC.

Switzerland has been playing several different tactics according to which team they play. I don't call that not playing your own game, I call that smart. Rushing into the knife of your opponent doesn't make you the better team. That said, I think that Belarus and Latvia have good teams, and it's a shame that there are fans who turn every discussion about the three teams into an argument on who is closer to the elite. At the moment, none of the three teams is in the elite, none of them has won a medal for a long time and subjective opinions about the quality of the team are useless.

It is my (subjective) view, of course, that Switzerland is better than Belarus and Latvia.
    Up The Irons!

-

"L'année de trop? Je l'ai faite quand j'avais 13 ans." = "If I played a year too much, it was the year when I was 13." -Gil Montandon, when asked if he wasn't a year too old to sign a contract as a hockey-pro at the age of 40. (That was in 2006. He went on playing professionally till the end of the 2008/09 season.)

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    No comeback I'm afraid. Canada is just too strong for Finland...you can't play the "canadian game" against Canada and hope to win.
    Maybe Russia or Sweden can - but Finland no.
    Finland can win against Canada, stop overrating Canadians already.

IHF Member
    Why Switzerland outshoot Belarus? Ask the refs about it. Belarus played more than 1/3 of the game shorthanded if I'm not mistaken.
    And I'm not sure, Switzerland played better match vs Sweden than Belarus (without their NHL stars).
    I've seen most of the Swiss games, only missed vs France and today's game 3rd period.
    Actually, Belarus' big problem was converting their chances.
    But seems this turned out to be similar sport like football. Not always the better team wins the game. Latvia is out too.
    I'm very disappointing. Worst ever WC since I've following (circa 1984). Really sad to see, that some teams playing the bunker-hockey and can win a lot of games, but it is not their fault though, but the opponents, and lady luck.

Pretty funny to complain about Denmarks "bunker" hockey, when Belarus has done the same whole tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Darion View Post
    the whole schedule is built because chance of canada vs russia final. What i see yesterday canada is just simply better, but i hope we could be luckier in next game

Originally Posted by Nightmare
    No comeback I'm afraid. Canada is just too strong for Finland...you can't play the "canadian game" against Canada and hope to win.
    that was exatly what our commentators was speaking in studio

Quote Originally Posted by Darion View Post
    Of course they can, but what i was stating, is that they won't win this way...The finns have talented players, look at Saku Koivu, Toumo Ruutu, Teemu Selanne, Mikko Koivu, Peltonen...all of them know how to handle the puck, yet they chose to play the physical and less imaginative game. This is not the solution against Canada or the U.S.(unless you are better prepared phisically, which i doubt Finland is). As talented as Heatley(for example) may be, he will never have the puck control of S. Koivu or Selanne, that is where you can win a game, in my oppinion.
    "It is hard to see a black cat in a dark room, especially when it isn't there."

One other thing: What on Earth is a canadian head coach doing on the Suomi bench??? Or do they have only goalkeeping coaches?
    I respect Canada, and the canadian players and coaches, but only a native finn can truly understand a finnish team....Same might go for Belarus, why don't they take a russian coach? It's clear that the defense is weak, and you won't do much by bunkering yourself, why not take someone who can emphasize your offense, where they have extremely skilled players? Base yourself on what you are better....this is like Brazil in football playing a defensive game, that would be plain stupid.
    I can understand the swiss: disciplined players, phisically secure and resistant, and it seems as if their whole game is built around a strong defense. So, of course they play like this, and can absolutely steal wins from the elite nations.

Of course they can, but what i was stating, is that they won't win this way...The finns have talented players, look at Saku Koivu, Toumo Ruutu, Teemu Selanne, Mikko Koivu, Peltonen...all of them know how to handle the puck, yet they chose to play the physical and less imaginative game. This is not the solution against Canada or the U.S.(unless you are better prepared phisically, which i doubt Finland is). As talented as Heatley(for example) may be, he will never have the puck control of S. Koivu or Selanne, that is where you can win a game, in my oppinion.
    lets see.. finland have Koivu, Selänne, 2nd Koivu, Ruutu, Peltonen, Jokinen.. canada have, nash, getzlaf, heatley, spezza, st.louis, staal, kunitz, roy, Bouwmeester, Jovanovski, Green..... if these canadians are not as skilled and talented as finnish players... plus those are bigger and more physical players than small oivus and peltonens. This on paper but we will se what happens on the ice, finland must avoid making mistakes like yesterday and make most of their chances, if they can keep canadians off the scoreboard in even strenght and score couple of powerplay goals, there is a chance

In terms of puck control and dekeing, the canadians are not as good as others. Take the russians for example, a roster filled with technical players, and i don't think that i have to name them, most of them better at this kind of stuff then the canadians.

One other thing: What on Earth is a canadian head coach doing on the Suomi bench??? Or do they have only goalkeeping coaches?
    I respect Canada, and the canadian players and coaches, but only a native finn can truly understand a finnish team....Same might go for Belarus, why don't they take a russian coach? It's clear that the defense is weak, and you won't do much by bunkering yourself, why not take someone who can emphasize your offense, where they have extremely skilled players? Base yourself on what you are better....this is like Brazil in football playing a defensive game, that would be plain stupid.
    I can understand the swiss: disciplined players, phisically secure and resistant, and it seems as if their whole game is built around a strong defense. So, of course they play like this, and can absolutely steal wins from the elite nations.
    we have a canadian coach because some people thinks: canadian coach+ihwc in canada(+smaller ice)= gold medals

you mean why belarussians don't take belarussian coach...

I agree that belarus could use better system but i think offensive game would only lead blowout losses.

I actuallt ment a russian coach, because i think that the style of play is similar and because enaugh BLR players activate in Russia, and of course because russian coaches are better(i think).

In terms of puck control and dekeing, the canadians are not as good as others.
    Erroneous claim. Anyone who has watched Canada the last 10 years in the Worlds and especially in juniors know this is false. Read this article to get a better understanding.
    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=055dadf60d

I respect Canada, and the canadian players and coaches, but only a native finn can truly understand a finnish team....
    I don't think there is anything wrong with Finland's game. For such a small country and small population to maintain such a superb level of hockey is astounding. There is nothing wrong with their style of play, nothing wrong with their arena, nothing wrong with their players, their attitude, skills, checking or decisions. In fact they should be a role model for some of the smaller nations.

That being said, clearly Finland's type of game is closer to Canada's. Not even the US is similar. Finland and Canada are the most comparable to each other. If we couple in the fact that rink size, mentality, reparation and style all factor in a Canadian Coach would fit properly into an Finnish National Team, just as a FInnish Coach would fit well into a Canadian CHL, National or NHL team.

Read this also, since you are on the topic of Canadian Coaches
    http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=ad4ee3a52e

You throw out football as an example. Well England hired Capello and Korea hired an international coach as well. These are example that other sports hire on certain merits as well, other than nationality.
    Last edited by kun; 13-05-2008 at 14:00.

Eh?

Of all the European top teams Finland's general playing style is the most physical and alike the North American one. This goes also for SM-Liiga. It is often said that Finland plays a hybrid hockey between the pure NA and European styles (as all teams do nowadays but they all lean on one side or another more than Finland). In most tournaments Finland loses to other countries in puck handling skill but makes up for it in physicality, team work and good skating. This time we have our most talented forwards (save a couple) in, so we have skill too.

It is very tough to beat Canada in any style but playing their own game is Finland's best chance and that they do better than any other European team.

And what the heck is Tuomo Ruutu doing on that list? He especially is known for his physical play and hard hits (of course for skill too). Just sharing some of Jarkko Ruutu's DNA makes him more physical than 90% of eg. Russian players (joke... )
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    Eh?

Of all the European top teams Finland's general playing style is the most physical and alike the North American one. This goes also for SM-Liiga. It is often said that Finland plays a hybrid hockey between the pure NA and European styles (as all teams do nowadays but they all lean on one side or another more than Finland). In most tournaments Finland loses to other countries in puck handling skill but makes up for it in physicality, team work and good skating. This time we have our most talented forwards (save a couple) in, so we have skill too.

It is very tough to beat Canada in any style but playing their own game is Finland's best chance and that they do better than any other European team.

And what the heck is Tuomo Ruutu doing on that list? He especially is known for his physical play and hard hits (of course for skill too). Just sharing some of Jarkko Ruutu's DNA makes him more physical than 90% of eg. Russian players (joke... )
    Can you tell me the last time Finland beat Canada in a senior or junior game? (mistake on Ruutu there, sorry)
    I know what Finland plays, but as i said, Finland cannot defeat Canada playing their own game, it's only logical that the canadians are better at it....

@kun:Can you point out a canadian player that is a better stick-handler then say Ovechkin, Sushinsky, Afinogenov, Kovalchuk, just to name a few.

Russia has more better skilled stick handler players than Canada ,yes, but you can't dismiss Canada's skill. If what you mean by stick handling is being flashy and making beautiful plays or holding the puck with beautiful possession. It's not overwhelming like it use to be in the early 80's, those times have changed.

Crosby, Tavares, Esposito, Nash, Toews, Lecavilier, Eric Staal, Joe Thorthon, Iginla, Bergereon, these are of the top of my head, of just young players and top players. I can keep going if I really find the list.

That's without even trying to think. You mention other teams, can run down who these others might be? Do you seriously think Canada is not skilled in every regard to other elite teams?

Can you tell me the last time Finland beat Canada in a senior or junior game? (mistake on Ruutu there, sorry)
    I know what Finland plays, but as i said, Finland cannot defeat Canada playing their own game, it's only logical that the canadians are better at it....
    So I assume 2004 World Cup Final was a fluke, 2006 Final Olympic Final was a fluke for Finland, 2007 World Championships Final was a fluke? And this is a team that remotely resembles Canada's style.

Last I remember Finland beat Canada was in 2006 IIHF World Championship they met twice and drew the games 1-1. Finland can beat and play Canada's games, the professionals, the television crews even speak about this, just as they do in Finland.
    Last edited by kun; 13-05-2008 at 16:34.

Denmark had 2 SOG in 3rd period. If oyu think Belarus had luck .... and still think, Belarus and Latvia are both closer to the elite thna Switzerland.
    Do you know why? They can play their own game vs even the best teams, and not playing bunker hockey. When you will play tight games vs the best, you can say you are closer to top.
    But I admit, Belarus goaltending was bad, and the PP efficiency too throughout all WC.
    It hasn't occurred to you that while Belarus and Latvia still operate primarily on the old Soviet mentality of puck control and offensive power, Switzerland's game (which they also play against the big 7) is in fact primarily defensive hockey?
    It might not seem that way when they're blowing weaker teams out by 5 or 7 goals, but I have no doubts that if Swiss players ever learned to attack the way the Swedes or Slovaks do they would find themselves squarely in the Big 8

Why Switzerland outshoot Belarus? Ask the refs about it. Belarus played more than 1/3 of the game shorthanded if I'm not mistaken.
    And I'm not sure, Switzerland played better match vs Sweden than Belarus (without their NHL stars).
    I've seen most of the Swiss games, only missed vs France and today's game 3rd period.
    Actually, Belarus' big problem was converting their chances.
    But seems this turned out to be similar sport like football. Not always the better team wins the game. Latvia is out too.
    I'm very disappointing. Worst ever WC since I've following (circa 1984). Really sad to see, that some teams playing the bunker-hockey and can win a lot of games, but it is not their fault though, but the opponents, and lady luck.
    If you want every game to end as it "should" on paper, you're a fan of the wrong sport, mate.
    That's the beauty of the game: the only way to decide it is on the ice. I would suggest you take the time to enjoy the big games played by Germany, Norway, Denmark, or the Swiss instead of complaining about them.

During the last ten years in IHWC's, Olympics or World Cup. Finnish scores mentioned first in all cases.

21.02.1998 OG BG Nagano, 3-2 (2-1,0-1,1-0)
    09.05.1998 IHWC Zürich, 3-3 (0-1,1-1,2-1)
    10.05.1999 IHWC Hamar, 4-2 (2-0,2-2,0-0)
    05.05.2000 IHWC St. Petersburg, 1-5 (1-0,0-1,0-4)
    14.05.2000 IHWC BG St. Petersburg, 2-1 (0-1,1-0,1-0)
    20.02.2002 OG QF Salt Lake City, 1-2 (0-1,1-1,0-0)
    06.05.2004 IHWC QF Ostrava, 4-5 (2-0,1-3,1-1,0-1) OT
    14.09.2004 WC F Toronto, 2-3 (1-1,1-1,0-1)
    08.05.2005 IHWC Innsbruck, 3-3 (1-0,1-1,1-2)
    19.02.2006 OG Torino, 2-0 (2-0,0-0,0-0)
    15.05.2006 IHWC Riga, 2-4 (1-2,0-1,1-1)
    21.05.2006 IHWC BG Riga, 5-0 (1-0,2-0,2-0)
    13.05.2007 IHWC F Moscow, 2-4 (0-2,0-1,2-1)

A total of five wins, two ties and six losses for Finland. Not too shabby and in best-on-best tournaments the two are tied with two wins each.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    14.09.2004 WC F Toronto, 2-3 (1-1,1-1,0-1)
    Toronto when or what was this? Toronto hasn't had a major senior event in sports in a long time.
    Oh the World Cup, I keep forgetting that tournament happened. I was too busy with Euro and Olympics then. That tournament zoomed by.

Quote Originally Posted by kun View Post
    Toronto when or what was this? Toronto hasn't had a major senior event in sports in a long time.
    Oh the World Cup, I keep forgetting that tournament happened. I was too busy with Euro and Olympics then. That tournament zoomed by.

I think that game was in Montreal!?

Ok, I give up. I was wring, but not about the russians :D

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve View Post
    Switzerland has been playing several different tactics according to which team they play. I don't call that not playing your own game, I call that smart. Rushing into the knife of your opponent doesn't make you the better team. That said, I think that Belarus and Latvia have good teams, and it's a shame that there are fans who turn every discussion about the three teams into an argument on who is closer to the elite. At the moment, none of the three teams is in the elite, none of them has won a medal for a long time and subjective opinions about the quality of the team are useless.

It is my (subjective) view, of course, that Switzerland is better than Belarus and Latvia.
    i Agree with Twelve and yours subjective point of view is confirmed by two things:
    1)with fews exceptions( i don't remeber exactly) in the last ten years IHWC Switzerland was always in front of Belarus and Latvia.
    2)In the world Rankings Swi is always in front of Belarus and Latvia for over the same ten years.
    Fortunately the IHWC will be over soon so we will no more listen the various Belarusfans to
    weep because belarus isn't in front of Swi.

Quote Originally Posted by cohiba View Post
    i Agree with Twelve and yours subjective point of view is confirmed by two things:
    1)with fews exceptions( i don't remeber exactly) in the last ten years IHWC Switzerland was always in front of Belarus and Latvia.
    2)In the world Rankings Swi is always in front of Belarus and Latvia for over the same ten years.
    Fortunately the IHWC will be over soon so we will no more listen the various Belarusfans to
    weep because belarus isn't in front of Swi.
    belarus might be behind sui in the rankings but
    at least no team managed to get an easy and convincing win over blr while sui had 2 utter and shameful defeats at this wc. it's clear that sui has reached its ceiling with krueger at the head.
    Life is a game

Quote Originally Posted by Dimash View Post
    belarus might be behind sui in the rankings but
    at least no team managed to get an easy and convincing win over blr while sui had 2 utter and shameful defeats at this wc. it's clear that sui has reached its ceiling with krueger at the head.
    scoreboard.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information