Thread: Coaching Tip # 62 - Is he mine or yours?

Coaching Tip # 62 - Is he mine or yours?

One of the best ways to penetrate the attacking zone is to always place the defensemen in a two on one situation.

Look at this drawing below...

Let look at this picture to talk about a few basics. Notice I have the near winger, who is really the off-wing, due to the play exiting the zone, is overloading the zone on the other side between the two defensemen.

When he does this, it going to alert the two defensemen and pull them off the line. This will help in the breakout process. This is why it's better for that winger to overload then it is to play up his wing. If he did play up his wing, the pass would have a longer distance to reach him and a better chance of getting intercepted. So, by overloading the zone, you puck support and you pull the defensemen off the line.

Now, sorry, but I was unable to show the defensemen skating back in the correct direction because the program that I am using does not allow it. Nowever, notice that I have colored the skating lanes. I did this to show you where the actual skating lane for each defensemen will be.

Take a look at this next picture.

You will see that I have adjusted the path of both defensemen off the line into their respective defensive lanes. This square yellow box, is the area where most teams start to weave. At this point, it is very critical for both defensemen to have a mutual understanding on which defensemen cover which guy in the skating lanes.

To behonest, it has everything to due with puck placement and not the guy. Too many defensemen worry about the player and not the placement of the puck.

If you are a defensemen and you are put into a three on two situation, here are a couple of rules to follow...

1. Communicate with your defensive partner: Eye contact is nice, but talking is better. Tell him to watch the guy in the middle, if the puck is on the outside.

2. Gap control:If the puck carrier is to the outside towards the boards, let him be. If the wing nut want to take the puck into the yellow area, as in the first picture...let him. It's a bad angle shot, which is a low scoring chance. Pray that the wing nut doesn't turn towards the center into the slot.

3. Play the middle: In a two on one, play the middle. Dont' cheat towards the puck carrier hoping that you will take it away. You will not! If you cheat, he will see that and cut in towards the middle because you gave it to him. Remember, you control where you want the puck carrier to go. If you give it to him, he will take it.

If the puck comes up the middle, between both defensemen, make sure that both defensemen know who takes him. To do this, I tell my defensemen this simple rule.

If the puck carrier is coming down the ice and he shots left, that means that the defensemen on the right side would get him because the puck is closer to him and is unprotected. If he shoots right, the left defensemen will get him...get it!

This way, you don't have to worry about some Mario Lemieux coming down and giving it too you. Take the confusion or guess work out of it and it will save you a lot of head aches.

Remember this, watch that snake charmer trick!

Don't watch the puck, play the body!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHJs3VqUpuU

Head coach
    Last edited by Headcoach; 11-05-2008 at 19:16.

Thread Information