View Poll Results: Who will win between the United States and Finland?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • United States (F3) will win

11 30.56%
  • Finland (F2) will win

25 69.44%

Thread: QF4: USA vs Finland game thread

2008 IHWC QF4: USA vs Finland game thread

Wed May 14th, 2007. 4:15pm EST ( = CET - 6)

United States
    vs
    Finland

Post your predictions, comments before after and during the games etc....

Remember for our Prediction Game to put your predictions here:
    http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ead.php?t=6740
    Last edited by Jazz; 13-05-2008 at 07:32.

3-4 (ot)
    Life is a game

4-2 if we can keep ourr selfs out of the box

USA will continue pattern of looking strong during some games, but will fail to win the "big game". 5-2 Finland.

IHF Member
    I belived in United States before the tournament and I still see the team as a gold contender but my heart will see a victory for the Leijonat.

I hope for a nordic final. Tre Kronor against our finnish brothers Leijonat. If Tre Kronor dosent make it to the final I hope its time for Finland.

after the last time these played i think the u.s. will be out to beat them esp after the "goal" was given so it could be a good game 4-3 u.s.

waiting for USA ) just to get yankees down next round.

IHF Member
    This is the song that's played when Finland scores
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56E2X7d6Uw

..and even though my "heavy metal phase" is a good 20+ years behind me, I would still immensely enjoy hearing that song several times wednesday evening

I'll say 5-3 for Finland

Quote Originally Posted by BelarusRikk View Post
    This is the song that's played when Finland scores
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56E2X7d6Uw

..and even though my "heavy metal phase" is a good 20+ years behind me, I would still immensely enjoy hearing that song several times wednesday evening

I'll say 5-3 for Finland
    well hello stranger i give the Finns 2 goals over the usa team...and wait for the tempers to flare.
    It seemed like a good idea at the time officer

I voted Finland, i think this game will be a real close one considering what's at stake. Players know they will be eliminated for sure now, so there wont be any sloppy game.

3-2 i think.

i hope suomi wins!
    4-2 for finland
    Soitten, korpein halki tarvon, aarnikankain aarteit etsin, ikihenki syömmehessäin', vuorten voima ranteissain!

USA will surprise Finland here.Close win for USA.
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

IHF Prospect
    Hopyfully Finland wins, but I have bad feelings about this. Finnish gameplay has been too moody in this tournament. Material of the team is good, but performance at the rink has not been so great. At least history favors Finland: it has recently won USA almost every time in major international playoff games.

Anyway, this will be a tough match.

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammu View Post
    Hopyfully Finland wins, but I have bad feelings about this. Finnish gameplay has been too moody in this tournament. Material of the team is good, but performance at the rink has not been so great. At least history favors Finland: it has recently won USA almost every time in major international playoff games.

Anyway, this will be a tough match.
    Finland has faced USA 8 times in major international tournaments' playoffs since 1990. Only once has USA been able to beat Finland, that was in the Canada Cup of 1991.

But statistics are subjects to change. I think self-control and discipline are the keys to victory, and as seen on Sunday, Finland's more experienced team is less susceptible to lose their nerves. Keeping out of the box should be enough to ensure victory. But we'll see, it will most certainly be an interesting and entertaining match. Finnish defensemen can not afford to make severe mistakes in the defensive zone, like they did against team Canada.

live streaming available here

Seems like Finnish hockey fans see it quite alike, since I pretty much agree with jammu and lator above.

Tough game coming up indeed. If Bäckström and the Finland's line #1 play even close to what they did in Canada game, Finland's got no chance. And note, it's not because of Finland's level (only) but essentially because of what this team US has to offer. I think this year USA has the most skilled team than - virtually ever in IHWCs. Actually, very close to what Canada has.

Yet, the result of this game will slightly be more up to Finland; if they can keep up with good game control (read: in level of their skills), they can drive the game, which then finally goes under the team US key players' skins (which was demonstrated e.g. by Dustin Brown in the last game). And I think (sure hope) Doug Shedden has finally learnt his lesson and puts the lines up especially in PP in more clever way than before. If all these "ifs" work out fine, it should be turning to Finland.

There's a lot of ifs there, though, so I wouldn't bet my monthly paycheck on Finland.

now it's starts should be a good game, i hope we win those dirty americans :)

Come on Finland!!
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

Tuomo Ruutu puts Finland scores first with a goal at 10:14 of the 1st period. I hope the USA can win, we have played too well to fall down at the QF Stage again.

BTW: Welmu keep your comments to your self.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

2-0 for Finland with a big shot by defenseman Niskala on PP.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Davide View Post
    live streaming available here
    Thank you Thank you!! TSN is showing Dallas - Detroit instead... as if anyone would rather watch NHL than Finland ;D hah

Finland should win.. but nothing in hockey is certain. And yeah Welmu, that was unneccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by leijona88 View Post
    ... And yeah Welmu, that was unneccessary.
    Yes, it was indeed. In fact it has been a clean and good quality match by both teams, so some good entertainment tonight. Hope it keeps that way for the 3rd period too.

"Nice" diving.. Undeserved PP for US.

2-2 guys its getting ugly here
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

Team USA Goals coming from Phil Kessel and Drew Stafford. Go Team USA let's pull out a win here and advance to semis.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

OT waiting to start
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

I missed this game......in fact, I missed all of today's games due to working a 12 hour day.

I got this game on the internet just in time to see Finland score the game winner in overtime. :(

3-2 for Finland over the USA again. The Finns have our number the past few years for sure.

Congrats to Finland.

Tough loss for a surprisingly good, hard working, passionate USA team that came to this tournament to win, rather than just to go through the motions.

On a bright note, however, the U.S. team is very young, and many of these guys will be first hitting their primes in 2010, making the U.S. appear to be a real contender in the next Olympics. They gave a superstar Canadian squad and a veteran-laden Finnish team all they could handle.

OT goal by defenseman Sami Lepistö!

-------------

No matter the result (which I'm obviously happy about), what a great game that was!
    - a superb battle by both teams, especially US with their comeback.

Clearly the best game of the QFs this year.

IHF Member
    On one hand, it's for the best that I couldn't watch this game.. because I would've sh!t my pants when USA tied it 2-2! From what I read in the game recap it sounds like Finland played great defensively for most of the game. I hope we can defeat the "red machine" again!

IHF Prospect
    Very nice game by team Finland! Solid defending and good goaltending, witch both are the stone base of finnish hockey. Anyway, in third period Finland still backed too much and gave chances to USA.

Quote Originally Posted by leijona88 View Post
    On one hand, it's for the best that I couldn't watch this game.. because I would've sh!t my pants when USA tied it 2-2! From what I read in the game recap it sounds like Finland played great defensively for most of the game. I hope we can defeat the "red machine" again!
    finland dominated two periods, but third period was americans

russia is good but i'm confident after this game. Sweden vs Finland final again

USA in OT

After checking out the last few IHWC Tournaments, this is the 3rd time in 4 years that the USA has lost it's QF Game in OT. If only the USA could have found a way in the regular time.

Austria 2005: Czech Republic 3 USA 2 (SO)

Russia 2007: USA 4 Finland 5 (OT)

Canada 2008: USA 2 Finland 3 (OT)

Thread Information