Thread: Coaching Tip # 64 - Stay away from the boards!

Coaching Tip # 64 - Stay away from the boards!

Ok, here's another one of the basic tips that will help save your life some day.

Please see picture below...

Now, I have placed two players for two different scenarios but both are really the same.

If you are a winger or a defensemen coming up the board with a puck and the player on the other team has kind of sized you up and is getting ready to drill you into the boards like a nail, you will want to cut into the center ice area, away from the boards.

When you do this, the odds are really good that the attacking player is going to try and compensate his miss by sticking his leg out to try and trip you. Be aware of this and move your leg. His next stop will be the boards.

Once he hits the boards, it's going to take him out of the play for about 3 to 5 seconds. In hockey, this is an eternity. So once you cut into open ice, turn on the jets and leave him behind.

Hope this helps
    Head coach

IHF Member
    Or you could have the winger or D man just stay tight to the boards and headman it like they should anyway. They take the hit tight to the boards and the forechecker will probably bounce off you anyway. This way you dont risk getting your knee blown out by side stepping a hit instead of taking a simple body check against the boards.....
    just a thought from my experiences..

Good call by Langer.
    I've done both, the key to knowing which you should be doing is watching the opposing team's d-men or attackers while you're on teh bench. see how they react to situations.

i've danced around guys a few times, but sometimes it's damn near impossible to avoid that knee, or at least the foot at the end of it. gotta be REAL careful that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Good call by Langer.
    I've done both, the key to knowing which you should be doing is watching the opposing team's d-men or attackers while you're on teh bench. see how they react to situations.

i've danced around guys a few times, but sometimes it's damn near impossible to avoid that knee, or at least the foot at the end of it. gotta be REAL careful that way.
    I hear what you both are saying. One of the things I try and teach or do with my players are a lot of balance drills, jumping and turning in the air. Not that I want to convert them into figure skaters, but having the ability to jump two feet out of the way in stride to miss the check and still control the puck is very important to keep yourself from getting killed.

Check out this video and watch the first two drills to see what I am talking about.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0gHv...93DE71&index=0

Head coach

Thread Information