View Poll Results: Who will win between Sweden and Finland?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sweden (E3) will win

6 27.27%
  • Finland (F2) will win

16 72.73%

Thread: BRONZE MEDAL GAME, Finland vs Sweden

2008 IHWC BRONZE MEDAL GAME, Finland vs Sweden

Saturday May 17th, 2008. 3:00pm EST ( = CET - 6)

Finland
    vs
    Sweden

Post your predictions, comments before after and during the games etc....

Remember for our Prediction Game to put your predictions here:
    http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...ead.php?t=6768

This Finnish team is stronger than this particular Swedish team.

Plus, Lundqvist looks tired and ready for the offseason, and neither Tellqvist or Liv are as good as Backstrom.

I predict a 4-2 Finnish win.

I think this Swedish team has to rely on tactics more than skill....it wont be enough against Finland. Finland takes it 5-4

The Koivu brothers have said that they have hardly any motivation for the bronze medal game and Saku think's that it shouldn't be played at all. The winner will be the team which wants the medal most. I think the Swedish players are more dissapointed because they lost after a great battle. On the other hand Lundqvist played a terrible game and it will be interresting to see weather Tellqvist will play today or can Lundqvist gather him and play a fantastic game.

The Finns played so bad game against Russia that I'm sure they want to end this tournament with a solid effort in the bronze medal game. They didn't shoot, the puck pumped over their sticks and th passes were too difficult. Today we'll (hopefully) see a often-shooting Finland which will wipe the ice with the Swedish players

SUOMI!! I hope Finland wins this one, they were more consistent throughout the tournament and deserve it.
    "It is hard to see a black cat in a dark room, especially when it isn't there."

finland takes it 17-9
    player named koivu with three hatrick, salami with 9 (yes, 9) assist
    jöönsson, andersson, and svensson replies for sweden

IHF Member
    I think Sweden will take it...becurse this Sweden team are not a star team, this will be the only and the last chans for many of the guys from this team to take something home.

A looser final are allways tricky to predict but this time will both teams play hard to win. No chans in the world Swedish and Finnish player will let the brother people take a way the bronze whit out a fight.

I think Sweden will take it. Our players dont have any motavation. Specially our 1st line hasnt been on their level. Team Finland never really convinced me in this tournament.

IIHF

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=b25d783f5c

The most famous Finland-Sweden confrontations include the finals of the 1992 and 1998 IIHF World Championships and the 2006 Olympics, all of which ended in tears for Finland and triumph for Sweden.
    This is a poorly written article, he fails to mention the all important victory of Team Finland in 1995 and mentions twice how Canada is bronze hating amongst other stinkers in this article.

Nonetheless, it's there for you to read. if you can sift through the stupidity.

IHF Member
    I am suprised so many thinks Finland will win. Sweden have done a better championship. Sweden started as lame and week but have get stronger for every game they have played. Sweden was very close to take out Canada yesterday.

Finland on the other hand have played on the same level from the start and not been abel to step it up like I tought the should do against the Russians last night.

2-0 FIN with goals from Antti Pihlstrom at 11:31 mark of the game and Janne Niskala at the 13:44 mark of the game. It's looking good for them so far.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I am suprised so many thinks Finland will win. Sweden have done a better championship. Sweden started as lame and week but have get stronger for every game they have played. Sweden was very close to take out Canada yesterday.
    Perhaps the 'kill' factor of this Swedish team has gone to peoples head?
    What makes you think this very talented, very good Finnish, experienced team won't win?

People thought Malkin was amazing in Game 1 of the conference finals and Sidney was absent. Malkin was absent in game 2, Sidney was everywhere in game 2.

Sweden was considered a write off at the start of this tournament, they became good stock during it.

It's hockey anything can happen and such say's the score of 2-0 Finland.

Wasn't even close, now was it..

can i say that this bronze game is "lame and week" :)

Quote Originally Posted by welmu View Post
    can i say that this bronze game is "lame and week" :)
    You can with ease

Finns win 4:0 against their archrivals Sweden, there must be a party now in Finland :)

Well-deserved bronze for Lions headed by the goalie #1 Niklas Bäckström!

- Sweden fought back in the last period, getting several PPs (obviously deserved indeed) but the best team in penalty killing in 2008 IHWC took care of it with style.

Good work boys, thanks on behalf of all the Finnish hockey fans!

Congratulations Suomi! Well deserved shut out and bronze.

Well done Saku!

game was pretty boring at times but good win and nice to take bronze medals. Still many young guys there with their first medals now. And Shedden didn't look so dissapointed after the game. It seems that sweden doesn't like those bronze medals.

Quite a funny anecdote, BTW, in the audience of the bronze game, showing a good example of Finnish humor.

Hockey fans at the stadium have a lot of banners, written some slogans or so on them, right.

There was a Finnish fan with a large banner with only one word written in black on _white_ fabric. The word on that fabric said "Lakana". It's Finnish and means

"sheet".

Uuh All Hail Pihlström. He Was The Best Player And Scored Again 2 As He Did Against Canada. He Is The Fastest Skater In THE Tournament. Clearly Faster Than Selänne. He's Got The Future.

Sweden outshoots Finland 36-13 and loses 4-0.

I didn't see the game, so I can't tell if Finland's 13 shots were all dangerous, and Sweden's 36 shots all routine, but it seems at first glance as if Backstrom outplayed Liv decisively.

finland just scored couple of goals they needed to take bronze, liv was just there because normally there is a man between the pipes. Backström was good but not spectacular

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    I didn't see the game, so I can't tell if Finland's 13 shots were all dangerous, and Sweden's 36 shots all routine, but it seems at first glance as if Backstrom outplayed Liv decisively.
    Finland did the same thing to Sweden of what Russia did to Finland. That's one big reason they got shut out. Sweden didn't seem much into the game either, game was very boring after the second point.

Concrats to Finns from southern neighbours. Job well done!
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

H Y V Ä S U O M I ! Easy game ( forgotting the 2nd period)!

Quote Originally Posted by welmu View Post
    finland just scored couple of goals they needed to take bronze, liv was just there because normally there is a man between the pipes. Backström was good but not spectacular
    You're kidding, right?
    Backström earned that shutout, made some unbelievable second saves to keep that donut on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    Backström earned that shutout, made some unbelievable second saves to keep that donut on the board.
    Backström was best player of team finland, but many of shots he faced was just swede player threw puck to the net.. lots of routine shots i think
    other point could be that i was tired and games was boring at times, so i was not so sharp as usual during the game

IHF Member
    Sweden was all the time in the finnish zone...in the 2 period it was 11-2 in shoots on goal but in hockey you have not only offensive you have allso defensive.

Our Finlandic brothers played the perfect game one game to late...if Finland have played like they did to Sweden in the semifinal they have been in the final.

Very great stuff from Finland and it was Finlands turn to win. Very good Finland. Antti Pihlström are the next Finnish superstar and Niklas Bäckström showed he is world class.

Sweden did a good tournament like I said before, 2001-2008 Sweden have been a top four nation. No other nation have done this. It shows how strong Sweden is. Next year I hope Sweden will take it to the finals. It was very close this year....

If Sweden had all of its NHL players, they would have been a very strong contender for gold.

But, all things considered, they did a good job with what they had available.

Congrats to Finland on a medal for the third straight year.

IHF Member
    If Sweden had all of its NHL players, they would have been a very strong contender for gold.

But, all things considered, they did a good job with what they had available.

Congrats to Finland on a medal for the third straight year.
    The Swedish federation are not happy at all and maybe they will take some action against the no thanks players next year. A debatt have started in Sweden around this problem. This was the first time in 25 years Sweden missout a top 3 spot to years in a row.

I hope they will take some action against them but I dont think they will. They havnt the guts, I think it will be the same next year Bengt-Åke have to beg the so calld star players to come and most of them will turn him down. If Bengt-Åke starts to turn the no sayers down the press and media will at first suport him but if Sweden goes down early in the championship it will be a storm against him and the federation will turn against him. So he cant do much.

I want an opinion from Swedish fans on who they think should or could be playing up until 2010. Especially who should have played this year, excluding those who are playing in the NHL. Be realistic, do no include Mats Sundin or Forsberg, because we will not be seeing them in Tre Konor any time soon. Just because Teemu said yes, these two have already given enough for their country, they are reprieved from any criticism in my opinion.

The Swedish federation are not happy at all and maybe they will take some action against the no thanks players next year. A debatt have started in Sweden around this problem. This was the first time in 25 years Sweden missout a top 3 spot to years in a row.

I hope they will take some action against them but I dont think they will. They havnt the guts, I think it will be the same next year Bengt-Åke have to beg the so calld star players to come and most of them will turn him down. If Bengt-Åke starts to turn the no sayers down the press and media will at first suport him but if Sweden goes down early in the championship it will be a storm against him and the federation will turn against him. So he cant do much.
    This is where Russia did a good job some time ago. When those that could come, refused, they were not allowed to ever participate for the National Team.
    "It is hard to see a black cat in a dark room, especially when it isn't there."

Teemu Selanne quits national team:

"I played my last game with the national team, and it is time to move on. The NHL is still up in the air."

full story

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kun View Post
    I want an opinion from Swedish fans on who they think should or could be playing up until 2010. Especially who should have played this year, excluding those who are playing in the NHL. Be realistic, do no include Mats Sundin or Forsberg, because we will not be seeing them in Tre Konor any time soon. Just because Teemu said yes, these two have already given enough for their country, they are reprieved from any criticism in my opinion.
    Some of the players was the Sedin brothers, Kim Johnsson and we have Tallinder and Alexander Steen, Samuel Påhlsson, Per-Johan Axelsson.

Of course some of the 25 no thanks players was injured, but once again if you are so light injured you can play for your club team and are ready to play to the mid of juni you can play whit your national team to the mid of maj.

If your family dont stop you from playing to the mid of juni your family dont stop you from playing to the mid of maj.

I hope Bengt-Åke take the best players from this team and ads the Swedish players from Detroit and Dallas to the team in the Olympics and just let the no thanks players out side the team.

We can asked our self how many of the 25 no thanks players have said yes if it had been the Olympics and not a World Championship? If it had been the Olympics Bengt-Åke maybe had have 4-5 no thanks and 19-20 yes from the no sayers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    This is where Russia did a good job some time ago. When those that could come, refused, they were not allowed to ever participate for the National Team.
    I think this is the only way to go if Sweden will have the strongest posible team again in the World Championship.

If great but old stars like Sundin or Forsberg no longer are motivated to play the World Championship I think its time for them to reteir from the national team. This year both was injured. Sundin will come back and play at lest one more year in Toronto but I think Forsberg will stop.

A good game by Team Finland. Bäckström was finally his solid self while Antti Pihlström had his international breakthrough. It seems to be good to bring AHLers into IHWC. Last year Ville Koistinen was very good in the semifinal and final and this year Pihlström was Finland's best player alongside Mikko Koivu. Janne Niskala scored some important goal and Sami Lepistö improved through the tourney and saw his ice time grow from game to game. The older players were not all that we expected them to be. Selänne looked tired sometimes, perhaps he wasn't in 100% fitness after that long break this winter. After his national team retirement Finland faces new problems. Selänne has been the only superstar level pure goal scorer Finland has ever produced and brought important goals in Olympics (he didn't play too many IHWC's). We need new top snipers. Olli Jokinen wasn't at his best but had some kind of flu during the tournament and played very little in his preferred position, center. Saku Koivu was phenomenal as usual. Mikko Koivu was excellent as said an created a strong line with Tuomo Ruutu. Niko Kapanen was a positive surprise as the third line center. The fourth line didn't show anything special but did their job.

Koistinen was a leader in the defence but Ossi Väänänen was disappointing with the worst +/- record of the team. Niskala and Lepistö played well while Niemi and Luoma kept their own. Bäckström was okay in goal but not at his best until the bronze game.

Doug Shedden's Finland did well in this tournament. Not great or awesome, but well. When Shedden became the head coach he said that he wanted to teach Finland to win the last game. That he did Now Jukka Jalonen will take over and I am sure all Finnish members here will say that we expect great things from him. A coach that can win so many medals with a small-budget team like HPK and even get a SM-Liiga title with the 9th highest budget of the league is something to look forward to.

It is clear that the three best teams in the tournament found their place this year. Russia and Canada are unbeaten going into the final and Finland only lost to those two teams during the tournament. The Swedish team did well considering their material. I didn't expect to see them in medal games and Swedes should be happy they got as far as they did (again, this year).

PS. I always thought that Expressen was a Swedish tabloid but apparently they have some people that know their hockey. Before the bronze game Expressen reported that Finland plays "Pihlström hockey". How right they were...
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Nicklas Bäckström did a solid job, it was close several times, especially in the second period. Sweden ran out of steam when Finland's third goal came on a what looked like really poor defensive play on Sweden's behalf.

Finland had a well deserved win, nothing much to say about it.

Overall, Sweden did better than I expected. The team was very competitive in the games that really counted - vs Russia, Czech Republic, Canada and to some extent Finland.

Finland, on the other hand was a disappointment. One major reason was that the Selänne-Jokinen-Koivu line never really clicked, but still it received tons of ice time.

Anyway, congrats to Finland with the 3rd medal straight.

Some of the players was the Sedin brothers, Kim Johnsson and we have Tallinder and Alexander Steen, Samuel Påhlsson, Per-Johan Axelsson.

Of course some of the 25 no thanks players was injured, but once again if you are so light injured you can play for your club team and are ready to play to the mid of juni you can play whit your national team to the mid of maj.
    Careful with that.
    Alfredsson was, as you say, "so light injured you can play for your club team".... he was playing on a torn MCL and couldn't even cross-over to turn. When you're getting paid millions upon millions of dollars, sometimes you'll put that extra effort in and play over the pain. Also, your club team after that much of the season becomes more of a family (or even home-nation) than the country where you were born.

As for the family thing: some guys' families are actually very important to them. If your wife expects you home right after work, do you think she'll be angrier if you have to work overtime, or if you decide to go to the bar for a couple hours before coming home?
    Obviously the second, because the first you're earning your wages so it's understandable.
    Consider that metaphor. It's not true for every player who claims "family issues", but some guys I can understand that.

Bottom line is that it's not always as black-and-white as you want to paint it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    Selänne has been the only superstar level pure goal scorer Finland has ever produced and brought important goals in Olympics (he didn't play too many IHWC's). We need new top snipers.
    I dunno if you noticed, but there's this guy called Antti Pihlström...
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by Laho View Post
    I dunno if you noticed, but there's this guy called Antti Pihlström...
    He is not superstar level yet. Not even a star on NHL level. Maybe in the future...
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    He is not superstar level yet. Not even a star on NHL level. Maybe in the future...
    But that's the only right direction!
    UPGRADE NOW: Laho 2.0: An all-new interface, improved outlook, refitted AI, better stick handling and a whole new load of lousy jokes. 100% HPK compatible.

IHF Member
    For me, this tournament was a success for Team Finland. It may seem stupid to those outside the rivalry, but whenever Finland beats Sweden, it makes the tournament a success haha. Of course it would have been preferable to win the Gold, but it just seemed that Russia and Canada were on a higher level this time. It was great to see Teemu win his last game in the ever-glorious Lion shirt. By the way, does anyone else have a problem with "SUOMI" being replaced by "FINLAND" above the Lion? I prefer Suomi... anyways, if we keep making it to the medals, some year we'll take Gold!!

Thread Information