Thread: Coaching Tip # 68 - Pass where he's going, not where he's at!

Coaching Tip # 68 - Pass where he's going, not where he's at!

Ok, I see a lot of players making bad passes to their team mates. A lot of this is learning how to read and react.

Read and react is an art form. You have to be smart enough to understand how the play is forming (read) and how to pass, check, puck support (react)..etc, to the play.

A lot of players just don't understand this concept. So, here's how you teach players how to read and react.

Start at center ice! Place three players around the circle, equally spaced apart.

Now, place two tires inside the circle, half the distance from the face off dot to the edge of the circle. How, have the players skate in the direction as shown.

Now, notice that I have the player passing the puck to the player in front of him. Time the pass so that the puck is soft enough to get to him when he gets to the other side of the tires. Now, if you have a player that is doing this pattern and he shoots left, make him pass the puck on his backhand. Make sure that the puck get's right on the players stick...Tape to Tape!

Once he gets the puck, have that player, pass the puck to the man in front of him, through the tires. Now if a bad pass is made, make sure that the player who is receiving the bad pass...doesn't stop! Let the player coming up from behind get it.

The whole purpose of this drill is to team "Read and React" Plus, it is a good drill to teach your players to keep their feet moving and to trust their team mate to help out.

If you teach your players to stop and get the puck, they will have to spend more energy to start back up to speed. However, if you teach a system of "tape to tape" passing, then they will concentrate on making the pass. This is what the tires are for. The tires are used as players. If you can get players to understand about passing the puck to where you team mate is going to be...not where he is, you will be able to control and dominate a team.

The next thing this drill does is teach players how to regroup in the neutral zone. Once you get these kids "tape to tape" passing, place two defensemen in the defensive area and have them cycle the puck back to the defensemen and then back up to the cycling wingers.

Hope this helps.
    Head coach

i'm going to try this one out... thanks.
    i swear, passing is probably the one thing my team has the most problem with (puck support and proper breakout position is the other).
    hopefully we'll be able to get our hands on a bit of practice ice soon.

You are so right about how important this concept is. Medals have been lost because players do not get this concept and games have been won by lesser teams because they do understand it. I've heard it referred to as 'hockey vision' or "seeing the ice". It is so important.....especially so for lesser skilled (Div 2 and 3) teams.
    Thanks for sharing this.

What's even harder is teaching the concept to kids that are 10 and under. So I explain it in term that they would understand. I tell them..."If you were in a submarine and you are looking through a periscope, you will see which way the ship (Target) on the water is heading. If you fire the torpedo at the ship, by the time the torpedo gets there, the ship has passed and the torpedo goes behind!" So you have to check the speed of the ship (player) and then shoot the torpedo a head of the target so that when the ship gets to the contact point, it sinks the ship! Young players go....Oh, yeah, that makes sense!
    Hundreds of FREE hockey drills at http://www.passthepuck.net

Thread Information