Thread: Fasel against Russia?

Fasel against Russia?

Several days ago some Canadian media reported that unnamed Russian club made an offer of $12.5 million tax-free per season to Evgeny Malkin.

Immediately after this Rene Fasel sounded that (http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...c-60e6f009610e) "we would view any signing, from either side, of a player under a valid contract, who does not have any legally valid out-clause, to be a clear violation of the mutual understanding and existing principle. It would potentially be punishable with suspended national-team eligibility and suspension from all competition or activity organized by the IIHF or any IIHF member national association. This would include events like the Olympic winter Games, the IIHF World Championship or international club competitions like the champions hockey league."

And now we have a scandal here in Russia. Many Russian sport media write articles on the subject calling Fasel "an NHL puppet", "formal Swiss - real American" etc.
    They call it "incredible" that the head of International Hockey Federation protects the league (NHL) which doesn't respect major international hockey event (World Championship, Olympic Games) against one of the major national hockey federations (FHR).

Here is a typical article: http://www.allhockey.ru/articles/32467/ (in Russian).
    "Fasel against Russia. Openly..."
    Another one: http://www.championat.ru/hockey/article-22764.html

I don't know if Fasel really threatened Russia with suspension from IIHF tournaments because of standing against NHL. But if he did...
    Well, I'd better be silent. Let's see.
    Salavat - green rockets!

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    I don't talk either...
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Gennadi Velichkin's comments: http://www.gazeta.ru/news/sport/2008..._1234234.shtml

"We discussed this matter in the KHL counsil, with Medvedev supervising. Bettman's words sound like "Let's respect contracts!" This is what we asked some years ago. Medvedev has told that this year Russia will not enter in the transfer agreement with the NHL. Earlier Bettman didn't want to agree with us, and now it's too late. It's time to pay back"
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

IHF Member
    A toughguy talk from mr. Velichkin. Iuderstand all the buzz about contracts and bad NHL that doesn't respect it, but mr.Velichkin is the last person that must complain about it.

IHF Member
    I think its good if KHL strikes back on NHL, NHL have no respect for the rest of the hockey world.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think its good if KHL strikes back on NHL, NHL have no respect for the rest of the hockey world.
    To be honest, NHL is just a much better league, and they have a strong position that all youngsters want to play there. And that's not just about quality of players, it's organisation, atmosphere, traditions. RSL couldn't advertise and promote the game, and I'm not sure KHL will.

About KHL striking back, as a Russian citizen I can't say I'm very exited that some guys like Velichkin who like to sign contracts at 03:00 want to satisfy their ambitions with the help of state money. )))))))))

The idea of making KHL a more organised league than RSL and make teams think how to make buisness and not just spend money from sponsor is what I would have liked. We shall see. But guys like Velichkin have no place in such league.

I don't think that Fasel is taking an anti-Russian approach. In the absence of a player transfer agreement existing between the NHL and the IIHF's members, the NHL has "informed the IIHF that the league will honour European contracts and they expect that the European leagues do the same with regards to players with NHL contracts. The NHL will not pursue any players who are under a valid contract with their European club."

The IIHF need to make sure that the NHL agrees to this. Otherwise, the result of having no PTA is simply that players will be able to sign large contracts in Europe and then disappear to North America with the only option available to the European clubs being to chase that player through a European court. While the player will also be allowed to do the same in the opposite direction, since the financial power is so much in North America's power, that is a very minor consideration.

What Russia are trying to do with Malkin threatens to remove this agreement to honour contracts and it will be Europe who loses out and not the NHL. Therefore, it is more Europe's responsibility to police the agreement than the NHL's.

The argument that this Russian team is simply doing what the NHL have done for years is short-sighted. For a start, is this really going to hurt the NHL? Even if Malkin goes (and I genuinely don't believe that he will), he is only one player. How many more will follow him? I'd be surprised if you needed to take your socks off to count them, and none of the others will be nearly as good as Malkin. But, how many players will take advantage of this and leave Europe for the NHL? A significantly larger number, of which a significant percentage will be the elite players that Europe can't afford to lose. As much as the NHL have never conducted their European business with an appropriate level of respect, to seek revenge when it will end up hurting you more is a sign of a very, very weak administration.

Therefore, I think what Fasel is doing is entirely right to protect the IIHF's members.

And one final point to those outside of Russia who that think that this is a good move. The KHL have not said that they won't do this for players under contract in Sweden, Finland, Czech Republic, Switzerland... Still think it's a good move?

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Malkin has already said, through his agent, that he is not interested in leaving the NHL for the KHL regardless of how much money a Russian club offers him.

The very top players in the world, with very few exceptions, all want to be in the NHL.

This ties in to Graham's theory that the only clubs that will be hurt by the KHL's stance are those in the other European elite leagues.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kedr View Post
    Several days ago some Canadian media reported that unnamed Russian club made an offer of $12.5 million tax-free per season to Evgeny Malkin.

Immediately after this Rene Fasel sounded that (http://www.canada.com/montrealgazett...c-60e6f009610e) "we would view any signing, from either side, of a player under a valid contract, who does not have any legally valid out-clause, to be a clear violation of the mutual understanding and existing principle. It would potentially be punishable with suspended national-team eligibility and suspension from all competition or activity organized by the IIHF or any IIHF member national association. This would include events like the Olympic winter Games, the IIHF World Championship or international club competitions like the champions hockey league."

And now we have a scandal here in Russia. Many Russian sport media write articles on the subject calling Fasel "an NHL puppet", "formal Swiss - real American" etc.
    They call it "incredible" that the head of International Hockey Federation protects the league (NHL) which doesn't respect major international hockey event (World Championship, Olympic Games) against one of the major national hockey federations (FHR).

Here is a typical article: http://www.allhockey.ru/articles/32467/ (in Russian).
    "Fasel against Russia. Openly..."
    Another one: http://www.championat.ru/hockey/article-22764.html

I don't know if Fasel really threatened Russia with suspension from IIHF tournaments because of standing against NHL. But if he did...
    Well, I'd better be silent. Let's see.

I must say, both articles are political BS. Is that KHL advertisment? What will be the slogan of KHL? "Let's hate evil West together!" ot "KHL>NHL!", or "Europeans are pussies! Americans are monsters! let' us War!". Looks like all the goal of this league is about competing vs West, vs NHL. Not the development of hockey or making a quality product.

Authors must get a life, stop being prostitutes and start making something OWN, not smth they are told to do. Free press LMAO. BAshes Don Cherry, but he himself is 10 times worser, because Cherry is at least funny and speaks HIS mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Darion View Post
    I must say, both articles are political BS. .
    I agree. The new Russian outlook with new hope, vigour and arena's is a good thing.
    Leave it to the higher ups and possibly defacto old schoolers to ruin a good future.
    The best thing for Russian execs is to to is set an example than repeat poor business practices. In time the NHL will come around and formally deals will be made between the NHL and burgeoning new leagues and new ideologies set in the new world of hockey in Europe.

If the Russians want to shoot themselves in the foot before they even get on the elevator to fortune, the NHL and it's owner and their fans really don't care if we lose high quality players like Malkin or their is an exodus of European talent. This continent can manage and maintain our own, and the people here we'll just shrug their shoulders and think "you're loss."

For all the criticizing the NHL gets, in the end if people want to give this continent and the league the cold shoulder, in the end it won't matter. It will hurt and sting knocking the league down, but it will survive.

If this has to go Real Madrid vs Manchester United type, North Americans don't play that kind of ball. Business types like ownership until contract is said done or nulled.

That is a good joke . Fassel is against whom? Let's be serious, have you forgotten who pays for the Champion's League, who was recently elected as member of the IIHF board, or what was the name of one of the teams that played that demonstrative game at the recent IHWC?
    If you want my oppinion, this is just a big bluff, from either side. Both leagues want coverage, want interest, so what better way to create such a thing than to "create" conflict? And let me guess, when this conflict will lose it's "attractivity", in the end they'll shake hands and agree to transfer players politely.
    "It is hard to see a black cat in a dark room, especially when it isn't there."

Thread Information