Thread: TV stations showing Champs League?

TV stations showing Champs League?

Hello guys, just wondering which channels from around Europe will be showing the European League for free to air?

If you dont know any, which stations show hockey in your country?

Thanks!

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by durhamwasp View Post
    Hello guys, just wondering which channels from around Europe will be showing the European League for free to air?

If you dont know any, which stations show hockey in your country?

Thanks!
    actual only MTV3 from Finland has signed. Have a look here:

http://www.iihf.com/fileadmin/user_u...sue_04mail.pdf
    Cheers, Franco

MTV3 will show most if not all CHL games on MTV3 MAX channel which is a pay channel. They also got rights to Finnish national team games (barring adult IHWC and olympics).

I hate to say it but perhaps I will have to get their channel package...
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

IHF Member
    "Viewers will be able to watch the action every week throughout the course of the season across the MTV3 platform: MTV3 and MTV3 Max television channels, MTV3 website (www.mtv3.fi)..."

I hope there is a chance to watch games there for all of us ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by ElTres View Post
    "Viewers will be able to watch the action every week throughout the course of the season across the MTV3 platform: MTV3 and MTV3 Max television channels, MTV3 website (www.mtv3.fi)..."

I hope there is a chance to watch games there for all of us ;-)
    CHL will very likely be restricted to only Finland as is the case currently with MTV3's Formula 1 webcasts. But anyone interested can probably watch other hockey webcasts that MTV3 will possibly produce: Finnish men's, women's and junior's NT games for example (not IIHF events).
    "Only if we lose."

IHF Prospect
    Any news on this front? Without good and Europe wide television coverage this baby could well be stillborn or die in its infancy.

IHF Prospect
    Czech TV Česká Televize has signed. They will transfer all matches with czech teams.

IHF Member
    TVP Sport in Poland - one game from every Matchday plus highlights magazine once a month. Pity cos 1. their range is very restricted 2.they simply sucks with staff :) I think it's common public channels suck generally and here we have tematic channel from public TV so their staff is incompetent and their range is poor. But as they say poor is better than none. And it's good they'll broadcast game every Matchday even though there are no Polish teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowie View Post
    TVP Sport in Poland - one game from every Matchday plus highlights magazine once a month. Pity cos 1. their range is very restricted 2.they simply sucks with staff :) I think it's common public channels suck generally and here we have tematic channel from public TV so their staff is incompetent and their range is poor. But as they say poor is better than none. And it's good they'll broadcast game every Matchday even though there are no Polish teams.
    I'd so rather have the Polish coverage than Finnish. MTV3 will only show games with Finnish teams and only one of them tape-delayed on their free channel. Others are broadcast on their pay channel MTV3 MAX. That is only for the group phase though. Hopefully they'll show the playoffs on the free channel.

PS. MTV3 sucks with staff too...
    "Only if we lose."

IHF Prospect
    With the Czech TV program am I satisfied. Its much better then I have expected. Its a common free public TV.

The latest IIHF CHL newsletter revealed three new tv deals. One is the aforementioned Ceská Televize which has signed a three-year deal. Sport+ will have the rights to broadcast CHL in France, Andorra and Monaco for the next two years. The network will also broadcast the games throughout Africa. Sport1 and Sport2, the country's first ever pure sports channels, have signed a three-year deal for Kazakhstan.

We are still missing the important tv deals for Russia, Germany, Switzerland and Sweden.
    "Only if we lose."

IHF Prospect

IHWC

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    We are still missing the important tv deals for Russia, Germany, Switzerland and Sweden.
    And a truly international deal with Eurosport or maybe even NASN.

Quote Originally Posted by Nijmjoep View Post
    And a truly international deal with Eurosport or maybe even NASN.
    But it isn't a North American competition, so I would be surprised if we saw NASN pick it up. Eurosport should be for sure, but that channel's attitude towards ice hockey is strange to say the least.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Prospect
    Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    But it isn't a North American competition, so I would be surprised if we saw NASN pick it up.
    It would surprise me too, but it could be a way for them to increase their presence in Europe. Did they not show British ice hockey in the past?

Quote Originally Posted by Nijmjoep View Post
    It would surprise me too, but it could be a way for them to increase their presence in Europe. Did they not show British ice hockey in the past?
    I'm not aware of NASN showing anything other than North American pro sports/leagues. I would disagree that it would increase their presence in Europe. I'd say the opposite, that it would open the door to other North American networks (ESPN are sniffing around) to pick up NASN viewers who are frustrated that the channel is no longer dedicated to North American sports.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---

IHF Prospect
    I'd say the opposite, that it would open the door to other North American networks (ESPN are sniffing around) to pick up NASN viewers who are frustrated that the channel is no longer dedicated to North American sports.

Graham.
    ESPN bought NASN in March 2007.

IHF Prospect
    I'm not aware of NASN showing anything other than North American pro sports/leagues.
    This link would suggest my memory of watching British ice hockey on NASN was right.

It is no longer on the continental version for sure, do not know about the British stream (which is different).

Have to confess that I'd forgotten that. British hockey is now shown on Sky Sports.

I know that ESPN bought NASN, but I have seen reports that imply ESPN are coming to Europe under their own banner and not as part of NASN. What that means for NASN, I'm not sure...

Graham.
    ---

Viasat Sport is broadcasting the CHL in Sweden the first three seasons.

OK guys, opening night tomorrow...

So what games are being broadcast on what channels?

Eisbären Berlin vs Kärpät Oulu (German channel? MTV3 Finland)

HV71 Jönköping vs SC Bern (Viasat Sweden, Swiss Channel?)

Salavat Yulayev Ufa vs HC MOUNTFIELD Ceske Budejovice (Planeta? Ceská Televize?)

Slavia Prague vs Linköpings HC (Ceská Televize? ViaSat?)

RTR Sport in Russia.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Salavat - Ceske Budejovice will be on streaming on www.sportbox.ru

IHF Prospect
    In Germany Eurosport will broadcast the Eisbären-games. Unfortunately the coverage is limited to the German-edition of the pan-European channel.

So far it seems the CHL's TV-coverage will only be legally available to a limited number of viewers, which will hamper its chances in the busy international sports market.

It is too soon to draw conclusions about the longevity of this new initiative, the first games are yet to be played, but good and widely available TV-coverage will be a key for it to become a factor in the growth of the sport on the continent. Otherwise it might fizzle out the way the EHL did in the late nineties.

HV71 - SC Bern will be in streaming right on CHL homepage http://www.championshockeyleague.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bordshockeypampen View Post
    Viasat Sport is broadcasting the CHL in Sweden the first three seasons.
    TV 6 in Latvia, which is a part of Viasat family too :)
    It's satellite and cable tv so not all the people will see it.

For what its worth:

Broadcasters for Wednesday’s games

Eisbären vs Kärpät:
    Eurosport Germany (Delay 21:15 – 22:45 and live streaming on Eurosport Player), MTV3 (Live), The score, Delay (Canada),
    Highlights on: Czech TV, Viasat, Slovakia TV, TVP Poland, Sport + France & Africa, SF Switzerland, ZDF, SNTV, EVS.

HV71 – SC Bern:
    Viasat, Sport 1, Sweden (Live), championshockeyleague.com, laola1.tv (streaming),
    Highlights: SF1 Switzerland, MTV3, Czech TV, Viasat, Slovakia TV, TVP Poland, Sport + France & Africa, SNTV, EVS, Megasport, Ukraine.

Salavat vs Mountfield:
    Live: RTR, CT4 Czech R, TVP Poland. Boom TV (Romania), Megasport (Ukraine), WCSN (and live and internet stream), Slovakia TV, 4Net, Czech R (live stream).
    Highlights: CT4 Czech R, TVP Poland, Slovakia TV, Sport + France & Africa, SF Switzerland, SNTV, EVS, Eurosport 1, MTV 3 Finland, Viasat.

Slavia vs Linköping:
    Live: CT4, Viasat3 (Scandinavia & Baltics), TVP Poland, Boom TV, WCSN (and live and internet stream). Live stream: 4Net, Czech R.
    Highlights: CT4 Czech R, TVP Poland, Slovakia TV, Sport + France & Africa, SF Switzerland, SNTV, EVS, Eurosport 1, MTV 3 Finland, Viasat.

Fresh TV deals for CHL
    Eight new broadcasters will show league games

16-10-08 Back

ZURICH – The IIHF and Ovation Sports are pleased to announce the expansion of the Champions Hockey League broadcast family with the signing of a number of new significant broadcasters on two continents. These networks were on board as of the league’s launch on October 8th and have expanded its broadcast reach to more than 70 territories throughout Europe, North America and Africa.

Russia’s Sport TV, Scandinavia’s and the Baltic’s VIASAT, Germany’s Eurosport, America’s Universal Sports, Slovakia’s STV, Poland’s TVP, Romania’s BOOM TV, the Czech Republic’s 4NET are the latest broadcasters to sign on to carry the league.

“The Champions Hockey League will with the new acquisitions have a substantial coverage in Europe, which is essential for this league to make an immediate impact in the sports landscape on the continent,” said René Fasel, President of the IIHF. “But primarily, we want to expose this league to fans.”

VIASAT, the broadcast network, owned by the Modern Times Group, the largest free-TV and pay-TV operator in Scandinavia and the Baltics, will broadcast the Champions Hockey League for three seasons and the Victoria Cup for two.

Craig Thompson, CEO of Ovation Sports, the IIHF-appointed agency managing the new league, underlines the importance of signing Viasat as a CHL broadcast partner. “Viasat will bring the Champions Hockey League to thousands of more fans in crucial hockey regions.”

The league will now be broadcast in Sweden (Viasat Sport), Bulgaria (Diema+), Slovenia (TV3), Hungary (TV6), in Norway and Denmark (TV 2 Sport / Viasat Sport 2 or 3 / Sport) and in Latvia, Lithuania & Estonia on TV6.

Across the Atlantic in North America, Universal Sports, the pre-eminent multiplatform destination for Olympic-related sports programming, will bring the top European hockey teams to U.S. fans for the first time as the exclusive home of the 2008-09 Champions Hockey League (CHL).

"It is of great importance that the Champions Hockey League get a foothold on the North American market, as we know that many Americans are interested in international hockey and that they would like to follow Europe's prime club hockey competition, says René Fasel, President of the IIHF. “The co-operation with Universal Sports is a great first step in this direction."

“We are thrilled that Universal Sports will be broadcasting the Champions Hockey League both on TV and online, allowing the North American public to regularly see the best of the best of European hockey,” says Thompson. “We are equally pleased that in Russia, the other great hockey powerhouse, the Champions Hockey League will now be broadcast by Russia’s public broadcaster.”

Sport TV, part of the All Russia State Television and Radio Company, or VGTRK, will broadcast the Champions Hockey League throughout the country.

The CHL is now very well covered in Eastern Europe with the addition of the three new broadcasters there.

“Eastern Europe is key to the development and expansion of ice hockey,” added Thompson. “With Slovan Bratislava, one of the oldest and most esteemed clubs in hockey history, playing in the league this season, we are so pleased that STV, the public broadcaster, will allow fans throughout Slovakia to see them play. In addition while their nation’s clubs gear up for the 2009/2010 CHL season, Polish and Romanian fans will be able to keep up with the league as well, publicizing the new brand and expanding the fan base.”

In Slovakia, STV, the nation’s free-to-air broadcaster, will serve as the league’s host broadcaster as well as broadcasting all HC Slovan games live throughout the season as well as the Semi-finals and Finals.

In Poland, TVP, the nation’s public service broadcaster has signed on to carry three seasons of the Champions Hockey League as well as two consecutive Victoria Cups.

Romanian viewers will see the Champions Hockey League thanks to the broadcaster, BOOM TV. The broadcaster, part of the private DTH Television group, has two dedicated sports satellite channels which broadcast throughout the nation.

And in the Czech Republic, the video portal owned by 4Net (www.sportstream.cz) will bring exclusive live coverage of the Champions Hockey League free to online viewers within the country. “The online component is so important to us and now CHL will be another prestigious sports property available through this important net broadcaster.”

All networks above will broadcast the Champions Hockey League and Victoria Cup across all of their respective media platforms. In addition to coverage of the full CHL season and the Victoria Cup, they will also show weekly highlights and a monthly magazine programme.

In addition to broadcast networks, Sports News Television (SNTV), the world’s leading sports news video agency, has also signed on to feed Champions Hockey League highlights packages through its wide distribution network. The agency is a partnership between the Associate Press and IMG Media.

For the games and seasons to come, fans back home will continue to receive the Champions Hockey League experience so many have begun to witness first-hand.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=6bf38f2419

Who the hell are Univesal Sports, and why is Canada still not airing these games

Because there is no hockey outside the NHL........oh wait maybe they could put it on TSN2....no they are showing Golf....then Darts....then......

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Who the hell are Univesal Sports
    At least I wasn't alone in that. Apparently it's only available in a few US cities and nowhere else. Why even bother?

I really hope they won't blockout the Internet feeds.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member

It's on in Canada

Who the hell are Univesal Sports, and why is Canada still not airing these games
    The Score is broadcasting one game of every match day the following Sunday. Last time they had Kärpät Oulu vs Eisbären Berlin. They did a pretty good job Steve Koulias and Steve Ludzik were on during intermission and Paul Romaluck did play by play. It was kind of funny they couldn't figure out what to call Kärpät Oulu when refering to the name of the city. Overall not a bad job considering I didn't think I would get to see it at all as the champions league website feed didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver Fever View Post
    The Score is broadcasting one game of every match day the following Sunday. Last time they had Kärpät Oulu vs Eisbären Berlin. They did a pretty good job Steve Koulias and Steve Ludzik were on during intermission and Paul Romaluck did play by play. It was kind of funny they couldn't figure out what to call Kärpät Oulu when refering to the name of the city. Overall not a bad job considering I didn't think I would get to see it at all as the champions league website feed didn't work for me.
    This is the first I hear of this, thank you for the information!
    I'll be sure to tune in this time around.

IHF Member
    This is the first I hear of this, thank you for the information!
    I'll be sure to tune in this time around.
    You are welcome. Lets hope it gets some viewership and they air it live and on game day delay. It was nice they didn't go on about how the NHL is so much better, I kind of thought they would. They focussed on the NA players mostly.

Here is the link to the tv schedule. http://www.thescore.com/ScoreTv/list...ate=10/26/2008

Despite the fact that the transmission of CHL games doesn't cost anything, the Swiss national TV station will not show the games. However, the regional broadcaster Telebärn will show the game Espoo - SCB.
    Up The Irons!

-

"L'année de trop? Je l'ai faite quand j'avais 13 ans." = "If I played a year too much, it was the year when I was 13." -Gil Montandon, when asked if he wasn't a year too old to sign a contract as a hockey-pro at the age of 40. (That was in 2006. He went on playing professionally till the end of the 2008/09 season.)

IHF Member
    In Slovenia TV3 will broadcast Final stages only.

Just yesterday finally an agreement was reached with SF DRS/TSI/TSR (Swiss public TV-stations) that they will improve their updates about games (also other than Swiss teams involved) and may - on short notice - also broadcast live games.

So today it was announced that Slavia Prague - ZSC Lions on Dec 3rd will be shown live !

And as far as I know, U1 TV will show final stages. U1TV is public, but not covering the whole country.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    Just yesterday finally an agreement was reached with SF DRS/TSI/TSR (Swiss public TV-stations) that they will improve their updates about games (also other than Swiss teams involved) and may - on short notice - also broadcast live games.

So today it was announced that Slavia Prague - ZSC Lions on Dec 3rd will be shown live !

And as far as I know, U1 TV will show final stages. U1TV is public, but not covering the whole country.
    why U1?? This channel is only via Cablecom Digital available, and is at least a "stupid" channel. I cannot believe, that U1 will show this...... is it not Star-TV, which has a connection with "Sportfernsehen"?

Regarding the official "Schweizer Fernsehen". Forgett it - they show only a game in five minutes - as they are doing since years by the National League. And you cannot bring all highlights from a ice hockey game in five minutes. That's absolutely boring. Our Television is a snob Television, which has no interest to bring ice hockey in our Television. Better to bring 20x a soccer game......

Fitrst I have to see realy, before I believe that the game Slavia - ZSC Lions will be shown....

Without TSI (Television in the italian part), which are showing at least the Derbys Ambri vs Lugano (and the Spengler-Cup) live, no live ice hockey in our Television....

When I asked the Swiss Television directly, why the are showing not more (and better!!!) ice hockey live, the answer was --> no joke: "Here in Switzerland nobody interest ice hockey. We've another mentality as in Russia or so....." Any question??????????????
    Cheers, Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    why U1?? This channel is only via Cablecom Digital available, and is at least a "stupid" channel. I cannot believe, that U1 will show this...... is it not Star-TV, which has a connection with "Sportfernsehen"?

Regarding the official "Schweizer Fernsehen". Forgett it - they show only a game in five minutes - as they are doing since years by the National League. And you cannot bring all highlights from a ice hockey game in five minutes. That's absolutely boring. Our Television is a snob Television, which has no interest to bring ice hockey in our Television. Better to bring 20x a soccer game......

Fitrst I have to see realy, before I believe that the game Slavia - ZSC Lions will be shown....

Without TSI (Television in the italian part), which are showing at least the Derbys Ambri vs Lugano (and the Spengler-Cup) live, no live ice hockey in our Television....

When I asked the Swiss Television directly, why the are showing not more (and better!!!) ice hockey live, the answer was --> no joke: "Here in Switzerland nobody interest ice hockey. We've another mentality as in Russia or so....." Any question??????????????
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

At Franco: Thanks for the correction - I always mix U1 and Star TV - so if Star TV is now the designated "Sports channel", then it's of course on Star TV.

And although I would like to see more Ice Hockey on TV too, regarding CHL I can understand SF DRS: the problem is that Wednesday evening is also a Football evening with National Team qualification and Champions League games. So on 3 of the 5 game evenings they had to show Football National team and FC Basel. Football unfortunately is more popular in Switzerland, although not necessarily among the Swiss...

And I am pretty sure that official public TV also in Russia, Sweden and even in Finland would prefer a Football National team game to an Ice Hockey club game...

The difference to Switzerland in these countries seems to be that they have also a specialised public sports channel, which can broadcast these games besides National TV showing football. So all we can hope for is that Star TV will be upgraded to a real public sports channel available in the whole country rather sooner than later, or CHL will move game days from Wednesdays to Thursdays.

But for now we have to be happy with SF DRS/TSI/TSR showing CHL hockey at least when there is no football going on, like obviously on Dec 3rd...

IHF Member
    At Franco: Thanks for the correction - I always mix U1 and Star TV - so if Star TV is now the designated "Sports channel", then it's of course on Star TV.

And although I would like to see more Ice Hockey on TV too, regarding CHL I can understand SF DRS: the problem is that Wednesday evening is also a Football evening with National Team qualification and Champions League games. So on 3 of the 5 game evenings they had to show Football National team and FC Basel. Football unfortunately is more popular in Switzerland, although not necessarily among the Swiss...

And I am pretty sure that official public TV also in Russia, Sweden and even in Finland would prefer a Football National team game to an Ice Hockey club game...

The difference to Switzerland in these countries seems to be that they have also a specialised public sports channel, which can broadcast these games besides National TV showing football. So all we can hope for is that Star TV will be upgraded to a real public sports channel available in the whole country rather sooner than later, or CHL will move game days from Wednesdays to Thursdays.

But for now we have to be happy with SF DRS/TSI/TSR showing CHL hockey at least when there is no football going on, like obviously on Dec 3rd...
    Hi Andi,

well, agree with you. Saw today in "20Minuten", that SF2 will show the game on December 03th. But believe me. SF has realy no interest on ice hockey. Hey, we're world no. 7. When you saw the last preparation/friendly game from our Nationalteam live? Three years ago, I believe. Or maybe one each season. And there are not always soccer games, when the CHL was/is playing. Every fu***** Formula 1 training (!!!!!!!!!) you can watch on SF2, TSI2, TSR2. The same - of course - with the official race. Every fu****** ski race is live. Every stupid friendly game from our soccer team (I do not have something against soccer!!!!) - live in the TV....

Since three years I read always at the begin of the ice hockey season, that the Swiss Ice Hockey Federation "is proud, that the deal with the swiss TV Station SF was extended for another season. So, we can be sure, that we see again, at least, ten (10!!!!!) games from the regular season live, incl. live games from the promotion / relegation round".

In the last three years, SF (german part) did not showed ANY game live from the regular season. And the worst - they're not able to start with live coverage from the beginn of the playoff.

When I asked, why they start from the 4th game in the quarterfinal and from the 1st game, the answer was: "Why we have to show the first three rounds?? In those rounds nothing will be decided!!". This answer is showing me exactly, the the SF has absolutelly no idea about ice hockey, and they do not respect, that we're no. 7 on the world. I asked back, why therefore the stadium are always fully packed, when the playoff started...... and yes - no answer back.

And another point which makes me angry. How can SF say, that we have not an ice hockey culture, but the SC Bern has the most spectators / average in Europe since four or five years?? They just ignore this...... they need the money for stupid shows or other broadcasts like "Tag und Nacht" or "Musikstar" or better "Big brother". Some day, I will shoot Ingrid Delterne (Director of SF) on the moon. No, on the Jupiter....
    Cheers, Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    Hi Andi,

Three years ago, I believe. Or maybe one each season. And there are not always soccer games, when the CHL was/is playing. Every fu***** Formula 1 training (!!!!!!!!!) you can watch on SF2, TSI2, TSR2. The same - of course - with the official race. Every fu****** ski race is live. Every stupid friendly game from our soccer team (I do not have something against soccer!!!!) - live in the TV....

are you sure that you dont live in Croatia?

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forsberg View Post
    are you sure that you dont live in Croatia?

no, no longer.....
    Cheers, Franco

Hi Franco

As I said, I would also love to see more free hockey on public TV, but SF DRS unfortunately is right with most of it's arguments against it:

"SF has realy no interest on ice hockey": At least enough to show all Spengler Cup games live..

"Hey, we're world no. 7": out of about 20 Nations playing hockey more or less professionally. But there are around 80-100 Nations doing so in football - so whenever our football team is ranked 25th-40th, they are unfortunately just as succesful...

"When you saw the last preparation/friendly game from our Nationalteam live? Three years ago, I believe. Or maybe one each season": As far as I remember, they usually show the last 1-2 games before WC starts - if they are played in Switzerland. But then they show, as mentioned already, a few friendly games of HC Davos...

"And there are not always soccer games, when the CHL was/is playing": That's right, but 3 times out ot 5 is the majority. So why should they buy the rights when they already know that they can show only half of the games ?. OK - now they got the rights for free and thus they are also showing Slavia - ZSC.

"Every fu***** Formula 1 training (!!!!!!!!!) you can watch on SF2, TSI2, TSR2. The same - of course - with the official race": Also for me not understandable (not even when Sauber was active). But somehow even now a formula 1 training is attracting more viewers than a Ice Hockey National team friendly game - or in other words: every single Italian living here must sit in front of TV to see their beloved Ferraris - while then obviously only every 10th Swiss is doing so for a hockey game..

"Every fu****** ski race is live. Every stupid friendly game from our soccer team (I do not have something against soccer!!!!) - live in the TV.... ": as long as more people want to see those, this will always be the case...

"In the last three years, SF (german part) did not showed ANY game live from the regular season. And the worst - they're not able to start with live coverage from the beginn of the playoff."
    At least in Finland regular season games are also only available on Pay TV, like here now on Teleclub. And they have exclusive rights for games, so each game SF is allowed to show is a courtesy of Teleclub.

"When I asked, why they start from the 4th game in the quarterfinal and not from the 1st game, the answer was: "Why we have to show the first three rounds?? In those rounds nothing will be decided!!" ": Well they are right...

"while stadiums are always fully packed, when the playoff started...... and yes - no answer back": Because unfortunately it's not true, also in play-off quarterfinals only derbies are sell outs. I remember well even a final series with HCD playing in front of 3500 - 4500 fans...

"And another point which makes me angry. How can SF say, that we have not an ice hockey culture": I think they don't say we haven't got one, but maybe not as strong as the ones in SWE, FIN, CZE and RUS ?

"but the SC Bern has the most spectators / average in Europe since four or five years??": SCB has not that many spectators because of our hockey tradition, but simply because they have highest number of cheap tickets available (compared to buyig power) - if in Pragues' Sazka Arena also 12'000 standing places for 3-5 Euros would be available, the arena would be filled just as well...

"They just ignore this......": as pointed out above, unfortunately more or less rightly so.

"they need the money for stupid shows or other broadcasts like "Tag und Nacht" or "Musikstar" or better "Big brother". Some day, I will shoot Ingrid Delterne (Director of SF) on the moon. No, on the Jupiter....:c150"

But latest here I fully agree !!!! - they should use this money to invest in Star TV to make it a free nationwide sports channel

IHF Member
    Hi Franco

As I said, I would also love to see more free hockey on public TV, but SF DRS unfortunately is right with most of it's arguments against it:

"SF has realy no interest on ice hockey": At least enough to show all Spengler Cup games live..

"Hey, we're world no. 7": out of about 20 Nations playing hockey more or less professionally. But there are around 80-100 Nations doing so in football - so whenever our football team is ranked 25th-40th, they are unfortunately just as succesful...

"When you saw the last preparation/friendly game from our Nationalteam live? Three years ago, I believe. Or maybe one each season": As far as I remember, they usually show the last 1-2 games before WC starts - if they are played in Switzerland. But then they show, as mentioned already, a few friendly games of HC Davos...

"And there are not always soccer games, when the CHL was/is playing": That's right, but 3 times out ot 5 is the majority. So why should they buy the rights when they already know that they can show only half of the games ?. OK - now they got the rights for free and thus they are also showing Slavia - ZSC.

"Every fu***** Formula 1 training (!!!!!!!!!) you can watch on SF2, TSI2, TSR2. The same - of course - with the official race": Also for me not understandable (not even when Sauber was active). But somehow even now a formula 1 training is attracting more viewers than a Ice Hockey National team friendly game - or in other words: every single Italian living here must sit in front of TV to see their beloved Ferraris - while then obviously only every 10th Swiss is doing so for a hockey game..

"Every fu****** ski race is live. Every stupid friendly game from our soccer team (I do not have something against soccer!!!!) - live in the TV.... ": as long as more people want to see those, this will always be the case...

"In the last three years, SF (german part) did not showed ANY game live from the regular season. And the worst - they're not able to start with live coverage from the beginn of the playoff."
    At least in Finland regular season games are also only available on Pay TV, like here now on Teleclub. And they have exclusive rights for games, so each game SF is allowed to show is a courtesy of Teleclub.

"When I asked, why they start from the 4th game in the quarterfinal and not from the 1st game, the answer was: "Why we have to show the first three rounds?? In those rounds nothing will be decided!!" ": Well they are right...

"while stadiums are always fully packed, when the playoff started...... and yes - no answer back": Because unfortunately it's not true, also in play-off quarterfinals only derbies are sell outs. I remember well even a final series with HCD playing in front of 3500 - 4500 fans...

"And another point which makes me angry. How can SF say, that we have not an ice hockey culture": I think they don't say we haven't got one, but maybe not as strong as the ones in SWE, FIN, CZE and RUS ?

"but the SC Bern has the most spectators / average in Europe since four or five years??": SCB has not that many spectators because of our hockey tradition, but simply because they have highest number of cheap tickets available (compared to buyig power) - if in Pragues' Sazka Arena also 12'000 standing places for 3-5 Euros would be available, the arena would be filled just as well...

"They just ignore this......": as pointed out above, unfortunately more or less rightly so.

"they need the money for stupid shows or other broadcasts like "Tag und Nacht" or "Musikstar" or better "Big brother". Some day, I will shoot Ingrid Delterne (Director of SF) on the moon. No, on the Jupiter....:c150"

But latest here I fully agree !!!! - they should use this money to invest in Star TV to make it a free nationwide sports channel
    Hi Andi,

do you working for SF?? No, just kidding you...... I'm not fully agree with all your argumentation.

Just one small back-answer. Some years ago they showed the soccer game Delemont vs. Yverdon (when both played in the NLA). Spectators 1'500..... so, do we have now no soccer culture???. Other example: Swiss National Soccer Team in Dubai for training. Friendly game vs. Poland in front of 200 spect. And this on a Wednesday at 2am...... we lost with 0:2 or 0:3.... tell me only one reason, why they showed this game on TV.....

Anyway, just found some minutes ago this.....

http://www.bearbrothers.ch/petition

By the way, this is not initialized from me....
    Cheers, Franco

Hi Franco,

No, I don't work for SF - but I am an accountant. Which means that I learned pretty early to work with facts and figures instead of feelings, emotions, dreams or nice thoughts. So although I love hockey a lot, it doesn't make me blind enough not to consider the facts and figures SF DRS obviously can hold against our claim...

And the petition is nice but not necessary: SF DRS already promised to show more Ice Hockey due to WC next year - and no football Euro or Olympic games eating up all their sports budget...
    And believe me: I hold them accountable for their promise - if they won't fulfill it, then I would be the first signing such a petition...

And just another thought to this: Yesterday were football champions league games. But did you see any game having been broadcasted by a National public TV station in one of the big soccer countries ?. Neither ARD/ZDF, nor BBC, TF1 or RAI uno/due showed these games.
    Why ? - because they are not of National interest and because these countries have special sports channels doing so. Only SF DRS showed a game, because it most probably generated more viewers than any soap series on a Tuesday evening would have - this can be also the only reason why they showed this training game in Dubai... Today ORF1 is showing a game for the same reason, and for TF1 a game between a French and an English team still seems to be a National affair...

So once again: What we need is a public sport channel like Viasat in Scandinavia, Planeta sport in RUS, RETE sport in Italy or DSF in Germany. Only then Ice Hockey will get the space it deserves in our hockey country...
    Last edited by Andi; 26-11-2008 at 22:05.

At least SF broadcasts all Spengler Cup games

Unbelievable: SF DRS will broadcast 1st semi-final game of ZSC Lions against Espoo despite football Champions-League !. This not on Star TV, but on SF Info, while on SF2 the football champions league can be watched nevertheless.

However, I am not sure whether SF Info can be watched also in French and Italian speaking parts, but certainly in the whole German speaking area (which I think wouldn't have been the case with Star TV).

I have SF info on my digital reciver, but they lock program when is some sport event. That was the case with WC game this year (SUI - BLR).

IHF Member
    Hi Franco,
    And just another thought to this: Yesterday were football champions league games. But did you see any game having been broadcasted by a National public TV station in one of the big soccer countries ?. Neither ARD/ZDF, nor BBC, TF1 or RAI uno/due showed these games.
    Why ? - because they are not of National interest and because these countries have special sports channels doing so.
    Actually, the public channels don't have the rights to show UEFA champions league. All games are shown in Pay TV (Sky, Premiere) and one game per match day on a private channel (RTL, ITV).

Thread Information