Thread: New World Cup in 2012?

New World Cup in 2012?

A small snippet from the today's news of the new NHL-KHL transfer agreement:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243045&l...s=topStory_nhl

.....KHL founder Alexander Medvedev was nominated to the working group that will meet in New York in September in hopes of creating an international transfer agreement to replace the one that lapsed last month after six European leagues backed out. Russia had withdrawn three years ago.

The group will also look at plans to globalize the game, including holding a World Cup in 2012....
    They did not expand beyond this (perhaps another new-article about this does).

That looks like NHL and KHL are pulling out of the Olympics after 2010, all speculative of course but...
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Bucks View Post
    That looks like NHL and KHL are pulling out of the Olympics after 2010, all speculative of course but...
    I think not. The Olympics its the only time hockey have some global cover in media outside hockey countrys and in hockey countrys in Europe World Cup are a very small thing, World Cup are only a big thing for the North Americans. So the best thing to promote hockey and globalize the game are to send the best to the Olympics and not to some Donald Duck championship.

Pulling out of the Olympics is not in the best interest of Hockey Fans world wide or the sport in general. That's all that I have to say on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think not. The Olympics its the only time hockey have some global cover in media outside hockey countrys and in hockey countrys in Europe World Cup are a very small thing, World Cup are only a big thing for the North Americans. So the best thing to promote hockey and globalize the game are to send the best to the Olympics and not to some Donald Duck championship.
    I think that it is a sign that the NHL will pull out of the Olympics. With the 2014 Olympics being in Sochi, the games will not be on at a time conducive to getting a good audience in North America. I think it is more than a coincidence that of the 3 Olympics that the NHL supported, 2 were in North America.

I don't agree with their decision if they do, but I would be very surprised if the NHL supports the Olympics after Vancouver.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I think it is more than a coincidence that of the 3 Olympics that the NHL supported, 2 were in North America.
    It is two and two. You may have forgotten Nagano '98.

I agree with you about the time difference for NHL's desired audiences as a factor in the NHL pulling out of the Olympics. I'm pretty sure the organisers will place the top nations in the late games while the nations still to qualify will get early games as seen in almost every tournament, which should put Canada and USA in evening games to facilitate North America. North Americans will still watch those games, but as one would expect, the early games will get very little viewership compared with the evening and playoff games. If the local schedule is the same as Torino, the early games would come on television around 03.00 to 04.00 in the east, nevermind the central or western US and Canada.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Embarrassingly, it was Turin I forgot about...

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Prospect

USA Olympics, World cup 2012

I think the Olympics is a great tournament.I think the NHL, would be stupid,not to particapate
    in them after 2010.I hope the NHl,and the KHL, agree and
    have World Cup tornament, in 2012.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles View Post
    It is two and two. You may have forgotten Nagano '98.

I agree with you about the time difference for NHL's desired audiences as a factor in the NHL pulling out of the Olympics. I'm pretty sure the organisers will place the top nations in the late games while the nations still to qualify will get early games as seen in almost every tournament, which should put Canada and USA in evening games to facilitate North America. North Americans will still watch those games, but as one would expect, the early games will get very little viewership compared with the evening and playoff games. If the local schedule is the same as Torino, the early games would come on television around 03.00 to 04.00 in the east, nevermind the central or western US and Canada.
    There is still the option that they do like we europeans do when events are in America...stay up at night and don't complain, but love the sport...
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokyo Bucks View Post
    No way that Russia doesn't do the olympics with their best roster...KHL won't ever waive the Olympics
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

IHF Prospect

World Cup 2012

I hope USA wins the 2012 World cup,if thats when they have it.
    I'd love to go on a sports tour in Canda/w tickets for World cup.
    The NHL Stanly cup defending Champions should play the team,that wins the World Cup.
    In my opion I think that would be an awsome game.
    Last edited by Steigs; 15-09-2008 at 04:32. Reason: Misuse of post icon. Removed post icon.

IHF Prospect
    How about the Stanley Cup winning team plays in the world cup thated be interesting or have a few exhibiton as a tuneup before the tourney starts could work as an extended training camp?

IHF Member
    Its looks like it will be a fucking Donald Duck Cup of the World in 2011...its a very bad call if the NHL will go for a World Cup insted of the Olympics. We can only hope it never will happend.

We have the Olympics and the World Championship its enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    ...its a very bad call if the NHL will go for a World Cup insted of the Olympics. We can only hope it never will happend.

We have the Olympics and the World Championship its enough.
    Ah, the more hockey the merrier, but they should join in the Olympics as well. Its probably an attempt to avoid recognizing the KHL (whose players would make the Olympic team while possibly barred from an NHL-run tournament.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles View Post
    Ah, the more hockey the merrier, but they should join in the Olympics as well. Its probably an attempt to avoid recognizing the KHL (whose players would make the Olympic team while possibly barred from an NHL-run tournament.
    I'm just not sure the NHLPA would agree to a CBA that didn't include Olympic participation at this point in time.
    As for avoiding recognition of the KHL... that does seem like a distinct possibility, and just one more example of NHL stupidity if it is true.

Thread Information