Thread: Turkmenistan to build Asia's largest ice Arena

Turkmenistan to build Asia's largest ice Arena

Read here. What do you guys think of this development?

I think its a step in he right direction, but where is the money coming from to build this? And will they make enough to ofdffset the expenses? But really, I am excited for the future and hope hockey starts to bloom there!
    "I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." -Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by spaceman View Post
    I think its a step in he right direction, but where is the money coming from to build this? And will they make enough to ofdffset the expenses? But really, I am excited for the future and hope hockey starts to bloom there!
    If the president approves of it in a one-party nation, I guess the money comes from the government and therefore they don't really need to offset the expenses.

It is encouraging that they plan to build such a large facility, especially with a hockey academy, but I have to question the need for 10,000 seats. Unless this will be a multi-use facility, I doubt they will ever come close to filling half the seating area. A KHL-size arena is preposterous for Turkmenistan. I can understand there would be high demand for ice time but that is completely different from seating area. I am a bit surprised there is a demand for ice hockey in Turkmenistan, especially in Ashgabat during Niyazov's reign because there wasn't a hospital there.

With Turkmenistan not affiliated with the IIHF, will this facility be the first step in creating a national federation to join the IIHF and/or a step to joining the ice hockey tournament in the Almaty 2011 Asian Winter Games? It clearly isn't part of a bid for the 2015 AWG or 2018 Winter Olympics because they simply don't have the climate for winter sports.

Interestingly, Berdymukhamedov, like Fasel, was a dentist.
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Member
    I don't think this new rink will provide some ice-hockey in this country, rather than helps to develope some new figure skaters.
    (Turkmenistan belong to west Asia, to be accurate; no offence)
    Last edited by Coss; 23-08-2008 at 15:11.

its probably a national arena and will host other events like concerts.

Does anyone know about clubs in turkmenistan?

Exhibiton match in Turkmenistan

Watch this: Hockey was played in Turkmenistan earlier this year.

http://turkmenistan.gov.tm/_eng/2008...ce_palace.html

New modern sports complex to be built in Ashgabat and the first hockey school in Turkmenistan will be a part of the new sports complex More Here

Thread Information