View Poll Results: Predict the outcome of Victoria Cup 2008 (regular time)

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • - N.Y. Rangers win

14 51.85%
  • Tie

1 3.70%
  • - Metallurg Magnitogorsk win

12 44.44%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Victoria Cup 2008

So what do you think they will contunie the Victoria Cup in the future and could we have a Stanley Cup Champions VS. European Champions League Winners in the near future?
    Not until a strong NHL side loses (by a healthy margin (repeatedly))
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

Well, Rangers fans will take it (those who even knew about the game today or knew it was for the 'Victoria Cup').

I'll take it because it may be the last Cup I ever see the Rangers win (though I obviously hope I am wrong about that).

Most importantly, I'll take it because the Rangers showed heart, a will to win, and a refusal to quit even when the game seemed out of reach.

I'll take it because Henrik Lundqvist finally played like a semblance of himself in the third period, which the Rangers will need from him all year, every game, every period, in order to be competitive. I'll take it because Chris Drury finally played like a leader.

I'll take it because it was a great game to get the Rangers ready for Tampa this coming weekend.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I would not agree with the statement that Metallurg has only themselves to blame for the loss. The Rangers dominated the game, outshooting Metallurg by a 44-25 count. Only Mezin's brilliant goaltending - and Lundqvist's poor goaltending through 20 minutes (and his overall shaky goaltending through 40 minutes) - kept the game close.

As I said, though, Metallurg showed what I expected them to show - great passing, great stickhandling, great skating, and a team that could, on any given night, defeat any NHL team. They played a very good game, and, as I said, I think it's fair to say that the KHL's level is very close to the NHL's.

Incidentally, it was being reported during the game that the Metallurg players were each offered $100,000.00 U.S. before the game by their ownership as an incentive to win the game. You could see on all of their faces that the Metallurg players and fans were devastated by the loss....they really wanted to win. And the Rangers players showed a surprising amount of emotion when they tied the game, and when Callahan scored the winner.

The Rangers, as expected, didn't make a big deal out of the Cup ceremony itself, but they were clearly pleased to have won.

Great reault! :D
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

Wow just Wow, when the Rangers decided to turn up the heat in the 3rd Magnitogorsk couldn't do anything, they were like deers caught in the head light. Mezin was brilliant for Magnit without him is a blowout for the Rangers. Kudos for Magnit for a great game but it wasn't enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    I would not agree with the statement that Metallurg has only themselves to blame for the loss. The Rangers dominated the game, outshooting Metallurg by a 44-25 count. Only Mezin's brilliant goaltending - and Lundqvist's poor goaltending through 20 minutes (and his overall shaky goaltending through 40 minutes) - kept the game close.
    Incidentally, it was being reported during the game that the Metallurg players were each offered $100,000.00 U.S. before the game by their ownership as an incentive to win the game. You could see on all of their faces that the Metallurg players and fans were devastated by the loss....they really wanted to win. And the Rangers players showed a surprising amount of emotion when they tied the game, and when Callahan scored the winner.
    Metallurg helped New York win by trying to sit on the 3-0 lead. For sure, it took a pretty good effort for the Rangers to come back, but it was helped by Metallurg going into a defensive shell. That played perfectly into the hands of the Rangers. Its good to see Mezin find his game again and hopefully he can build on this performance. Just think what Salavat Yulaev could have done, though.

Callahan's goal was a beauty off the turnover which illicted quite a few explitives from me. Korpikoski was one of the best players on the ice tonight which is certainly a good sign coming into their league schedule.

Drury probably deserves some credit for getting his team into the game by scoring just before the second period ended. That goal fired him up and he was shouting at his own bench to get into the game. They carried that momentum into the final period and turned the tide. After that, Magnitka only had two or three chances.

It was a bit annoying that Trautwig and Micheletti kept talking about money. There was more to it than just that along with the three hacks in the MSG studio who continually referred to "Russian players" and "the Russian goalie." They had papers on their desk, but why not have a roster on hand? At least then they could have seen that there were Czechs and Mezin is from Belarus.

On the positive side, nobody can talk about favoritism in the officiating. By the way, did anybody else notice the guy with the Dubai Mighty Camels sweater?
    Bringing ice hockey to Northwest China!

I'm the hole formerly known as KazakhEagles

IHF Prospect
    hello everybody
    if you'd like to see some pics I took at the game you can visit
    http://www.zico77.ch/sports%20galler...ictoria%20Cup/

did anybody else notice the guy with the Dubai Mighty Camels sweater?
    No, I missed that. That's money!
    ■■■■■■■■■■■□□□ NOW LOADING

Japanese hockey, Asian sports, and whatever else:
    http://jhockey.wordpress.com/

well its finally over....the Rangers who everyone felt was a second rate NHL team, went over there in the middle of training camp, and pulled out a road win in front of a crowd like that,and after playing Bern the night before.... One up on the Rangers!! see how many games they hit the over 40 shots on Goal mark back home....

Now the Rangers should play in the 2009 Spengler Cup.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KazakhEagles View Post
    By the way, did anybody else notice the guy with the Dubai Mighty Camels sweater?
    Hopefully, being new to the board, I get to ask one dumb question. Are the Camels a team or a league? I did look at their site but it wasn't clear. Either way, their jerseys are truly great!

Thanks.

IHF Member
    Well I would say the game was a success. Hopefully there will be more interest in this game next year and it becomes a yearly staple in the international hockey season.

I think the Rangers should return next year and be able to defend their trophy. Maybe even have it at MSG. Give the defending champion home ice.

The words "Victoria Cup" have yet to be uttered on sports radio here.
    Yesterday it was "a preseason game in Russia", wich then became " a preseason game in Switzerland against a team from the Russian Continental Hockey League", but the team was never mentioned by name.

And that is not going to change as long as the NHL continues to dismiss the IIHF and its initiatives (including the ones the NHL agreed to like the Victoria Cup). If they don't promote it, nobody will know about it and it won't stand a chance in the North American market.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Yesterday it was "a preseason game in Russia", wich then became " a preseason game in Switzerland against a team from the Russian Continental Hockey League", but the team was never mentioned by name.

And that is not going to change as long as the NHL continues to dismiss the IIHF and its initiatives (including the ones the NHL agreed to like the Victoria Cup). If they don't promote it, nobody will know about it and it won't stand a chance in the North American market.
    That's too bad because a lot of hockey fans listen to sports radio despite its generally old-fashioned crash bang approach to hockey. TSN, which has the widest sports television audience in the country by quite a margin, separated the game from other hockey news both on-air and in print.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2513...headlines_main

The good news is that international hockey stories are showing up regularly on boards, blogs and mainstream media - we can thank Radulov for much of that. A very thoughtful recent story (which, of course, I can't find now) said that the NHL's pre-season games in Europe are completely about product marketing (jerseys etc. following Man U's worldwide example) and not about expansion. That might give too much credit to current NHL leadership, though.

I'm still looking forward to the day when the NHL recognizes that it needs to let the IIHF and KHL sort out European hockey and then work closely with them to promote the international game.

Lauri Korpikoski played a great game. I believe he will make the line up against Tampa.

The big games are around the corner! It was kind of funny, when the 2 issues stressed continously last night broadcast were 100.000 USD offered to each Russian player if they (MM) win and that the season starts against Tampa Bay in Prague. Can You imagine such attention during Stanley Cup Final(s)?
    Brian Burke: "True leaders don’t need a letter on their chest. They still lead. Teemu is like that."

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post

There is also the need to educate the North American public. You may promote the competition all you like, if people keep thinking Euro leagues are just a bunch of weak NHL feeder or junior leagues, they still won't give a hoot about the event, expecting it to be just the thrashing of some obscure no-name euro team. European champion means little to the average North American fan, I'm afraid.

Currently, nhl.com makes mention of the Victoria Cup on its website - they give video highlights of... the game against SC Bern, with the caption reading "Victoria Cup highlights
    Watch highlights from the New York Rangers' 8-1 victory over SC Bern, in Switzerland.". That's totally misleading and it just feeds said misconception.

Actually, there has been thought given as to how to market the Victoria Cup to make it not only important to North Americans, but also to European hockey fans who, like North American fans, don't care about it all that much unless it involves their favorite team.

The New York Times hockey blog writes about it -

"[N]ow that the game has proved successful, there is momentum for both sides to seek ways to make the Vic Cup bigger and better.

The IIHF and NHL have a three-year agreement for the competition. These are some of the things IIHF officials say they would be willing to consider in the coming months.

The first involves the shortcomings of a neutral-site venue. The exhibition game between the Rangers and the local SC Bern Bears produced a noisy and large crowd at the PostFinance Arena on Tuesday. And while the next day’s Victoria Cup game itself, featuring the Rangers and a Russian team, attracted a very respectable crowd of nearly 14,000, the fans were far quieter and produced less atmosphere. As a result, if this year’s one-game format is used again next year, the European club will likely play host to the match.

This only makes sense. Bern was awarded the New York-Magnitka game based on its stellar attendance record — it has led the continent in attendance several years in a row — but as in many cities, the fans support their own team above “superior” hockey played by other teams.

In this regard, the IIHF may have overestimated the appeal of an NHL team playing a European champion in a neutral rink. After all, it’d be no different if the Rangers and Metallurg played at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, wouldn’t it?

Another issue that may be tweaked is the game’s placement on the hockey calendar.

Although both teams presented a quality lineup, the Rangers made it clear that the Vic Cup match was a steppingstone to the NHL regular-season games in Prague this weekend. The IIHF certainly wants the Victoria Cup to become more vital than a glorified exhibition game.

There are several ways to overcome these difficulties, which are expected to be discussed by the IIHF and NHL in the coming months. One option is to have a four-team tournament — two NHL teams and the two European Champions Hockey League finalists. Each team would play a round robin followed by a final between the top two.

Another possibility is to alternate the event between North America and Europe, a point discussed briefly by IIHF president René Fasel in the postgame news conference. Next year the match (or matches) might be played in an NHL city, for instance, and this would help familiarize NHL fans with the event and create a greater buzz in Europe for the club that travels overseas.

Perhaps most important, the IIHF hopes the Victoria Cup will eventually become a game that features the Stanley Cup champion against the European champion. Under the current CBA this is not possible because the agreement states that the NHL must name the Victoria Cup team one year in advance. However, IIHF officials say they will continue to pursue this possibility with the NHL. If this could ever be arranged, the appeal of the game would grow spectacularly.

Then there is the very ambitious notion of using the Victoria Cup to replace the NHL’s All-Star Game, which has never been less popular among fans, who see it as a corporate schmooze of marginal interest. The NHL could still have a skills contest and prospects game (dare we say NHL prospects vs. European prospects?) and still consider it their corporate centerpiece, but the Victoria Cup would have far more meaning if it were to take place in the middle of both the North American and European seasons.

Other notions include pairing the Victoria Cup with the All-Star Game and staging them every other year in the fertile grounds of Europe, and making the Victoria Cup an outdoor event.

Regardless, it’s clear after last night that the Vic Cup has plenty of potential. It remains to be seen whether the NHL and IIHF will agree to promote it further and find a way to improve upon a very successful start. But right now, the possibilities are as limitless as the imagination."

To bad about the weak pass up the center. I thought that if it went to shootout it was going to be Metallurg because Mezin played his rear off and out played Lundqvist.

Something about mezin playing against swedish goalies. (HMMMMMM SALO )

Quote Originally Posted by DANGER-MAN View Post
    Something about mezin playing against swedish goalies. (HMMMMMM SALO )
    Brilliant!

I'm a bit pissed about the Rangers pulling it out in the end. I mean, I'm happy for them, and glad that they actually put an effort into the game, but the Rangers' win just means we'll have to deal with 12 more months of the NHL still thinking it's God.
    Last edited by Steigs; 03-10-2008 at 05:46.

Let's be fair and not completely one-sided here.

I gave Metallurg credit for a great game. They were a worthy adversary.

With that said, if Lundqvist didn't play like garbage (by his own admission, in fact) for 30 minutes, and if Mezin wasn't completely awesome, it wouldn't have been as close as it was.

The Rangers badly outshot Metallurg, and the Victoria Cup was only the third pre-season game for the Rangers' full (or nearly full) 2008-2009 roster, whereas Metallurg had already played over 20 pre-season & regular season games coming into the match.

The point is that the KHL, while very close in level to the NHL, is still a half-step behind. Does that mean the NHL is "G-d"? Certainly not. I think Metallurg showed that KHL teams can certainly play with NHL teams. For that matter, Slovakia's Slovan nearly beat Tampa.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I think that any team in any of Europe's top seven leagues (yes, even NLA and DEL teams) can beat any NHL team on any given night. Heck, the Rangers-Bern was 2-1 at one point early into the 3rd period. The question is how often would the NHL teams get beaten. We'd need to see either a lot more of these types of games or actual series play to answer that question (i.e., best of three, best of five, or best of seven).

But yes, arrogant or not, short sighted or not, bad for world hockey or not, the NHL is still the world's highest level league and projects to remain so for the near future. And, with all due respect to some Elitserien fans out there, I believe that the KHL is a clear cut #2 in the world.

What surprised me most of all - pleasantly so - is that the Rangers DID respect Metallurg as an adversary, and DID respect the Victoria Cup event (despite still insisting to the end that it was an exhibition game, albeit a "meaningful" one), and DID give a real effort. I was really, really pleased to see that, and, as a Rangers fan, I'm proud to have seen my team win a trophy for the first time since 1994, regardless of how little known or cared about it may be.

The point is that the KHL, while very close in level to the NHL, is still a half-step behind. Does that mean the NHL is "G-d"? Certainly not. I think Metallurg showed that KHL teams can certainly play with NHL teams. For that matter, Slovakia's Slovan nearly beat Tampa.
    The NHL might disagree with that.
    And they'll point to this game as evidence. That's all I was (sarcastically) getting at.

You make good points though.

First of all, both teams gave a good show. And congrats to the Rangers with the win. As my posts in this thread indicates, I was quite convinced the Rangers would win. The KHL is a newborn child and the difference in strength between KHL and NHL is sizable and will remain so for the next years to come. But the game scared me. I betted a big stake on the Rangers -- $1000 - as the odds were fairly good. I would win nearly 2 times this amount if the Rangers did their job. They did, but it was close. Very close.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar

The point is that the KHL, while very close in level to the NHL, is still a half-step behind.
    Finally I manage to post again after the half heart attack i suffered at the 19th minute of the game
    Well, no one ever denied that. Congratulations for the Rangers for the big time comeback, it wasn't easy and was a great achievement even if I still think that Metallurg and only Metallurg is responsible for the final result.
    But this was a great show and it emphasized yet again how the international hockey matches are really among the world's most great things!
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

OK, I'm groing tired of how many times I've heard "The Rangers badly outshot Metallurg". Let's make something clear, it's not about putting the puck on net, but about the quality of the shots, and I thought that by now you would all realize that russian hockey implies much more finesse and thus much more selective shooting. The 44 to 25 difference is not that big at all, 25 shots on goal from a russian team si quite a normal number(some of you might also want to check some of those RSL/KHL statistics), while viewing the Rangers' style of play, and the load of easy penalties the russians were given in the 3d it's logical it got up to that number.
    One other thing, Mezin did indeed have a couple of great, awesome saves, but he did make a mistake at the Rangers' second goal, so it's not all roses. All in all he did have a very good game, whilst Lundqvist wasn't that bad too, he did one big mistake, but what about that 1-on-1, or that awesome save on Platonov(?not sure of the player that shot).
    It is a fair assesment, from my point of view, to say that the Rangers were a little better, they won the game after all, but let's not start talking about what ifs, there can be many versions of that, as the Rangers could have just as well been thrashed, if the Metallurg players kept their composure and kept playing more offensive.
    As for me, i very much enjoyed the game, and very much wish that it is played on a regular basis from now on, and also wish to see more Europe-NHL matches(especially a CSKA-Canadiens game :D). The thing to point out is that, with the exception of the odd game here and there, all games were fairly even, some more then others, and in the future a groing Victoria cup could be a good ambassador of ice hockey ;)
    Last edited by Nightmare; 03-10-2008 at 15:12.
    "It is hard to see a black cat in a dark room, especially when it isn't there."

Speaking about goalkeeper, game's best save was clearly made by Karel Pilar...in that PK stretch in which he was left stickless and he dived down to block a shot...what a save, he seemed Buffon

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    Finally I manage to post again after the half heart attack i suffered at the 19th minute of the game
    Well, no one ever denied that. Congratulations for the Rangers for the big time comeback, it wasn't easy and was a great achievement even if I still think that Metallurg and only Metallurg is responsible for the final result.
    But this was a great show and it emphasized yet again how the international hockey matches are really among the world's most great things!

All I can say is : MY WORDS !!

It was spectacular and too bad for MMG....the bad pass in its own zone ( I wish he'd put it on the boards leftside of him ).....his pass cost MMG 1.000.000,00

@Karsten: WOW, that was really really close...

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    OK, I'm groing tired of how many times I've heard "The Rangers badly outshot Metallurg". Let's make something clear, it's not about putting the puck on net, but about the quality of the shots, and I thought that by now you would all realize that russian hockey implies much more finesse and thus much more selective shooting. The 44 to 25 difference is not that big at all, 25 shots on goal from a russian team si quite a normal number(some of you might also want to check some of those RSL/KHL statistics), while viewing the Rangers' style of play, and the load of easy penalties the russians were given in the 3d it's logical it got up to that number.
    You forget that the same is true for the Rangers. Its not as if in the NHL the teams throw shots on the net at random. NHL teams average 29.0 shots a game and last year the Rangers averaged 31.5 shots per game so no matter how you spin it 44 shots is a lot higher than usual. Nor do the penalties that Magnitogorsk took necessarily explain the disparity in shots. MM had 20 PIM where the NHL average last year was 14 PIM a game so its not like NYR were playing with far more PP time than they normally do.
    Melbourne Ice - Chicago Blackhawks - HK Gladiators Trnava - Dukla Trencin - Újpesti TE - Ak Bars Kazan

Actually, there has been thought given as to how to market the Victoria Cup to make it not only important to North Americans, but also to European hockey fans who, like North American fans, don't care about it all that much unless it involves their favorite team.

The New York Times hockey blog writes about it -

"The first involves the shortcomings of a neutral-site venue. The exhibition game between the Rangers and the local SC Bern Bears produced a noisy and large crowd at the PostFinance Arena on Tuesday. And while the next day’s Victoria Cup game itself, featuring the Rangers and a Russian team, attracted a very respectable crowd of nearly 14,000, the fans were far quieter and produced less atmosphere. As a result, if this year’s one-game format is used again next year, the European club will likely play host to the match.

This only makes sense. Bern was awarded the New York-Magnitka game based on its stellar attendance record — it has led the continent in attendance several years in a row — but as in many cities, the fans support their own team above “superior” hockey played by other teams.

In this regard, the IIHF may have overestimated the appeal of an NHL team playing a European champion in a neutral rink. After all, it’d be no different if the Rangers and Metallurg played at the Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, wouldn’t it?
    Add to that the fact that the games were on weekdays and a ticket cost five times as much as a normal ticket for a hockey game in Switzerland, and the turnout wasn't that bad. It's all a question of perspective, of course, a ticket cost of around 50 Dollars may seem cheap in NHL terms, it's considered a rip-off for people used to paying NLA-prices. The crowd watching the Bern game was very different from that watching the Victoria Cup simply because there were much less local people there and many more Metallurg fans.

I was at both games, and though I agree that the crowd wasn't as loud on Wed. as it was on Tue., it was clear that everyone was very much into the game, there was a reaction to every good play. And of course it's clear that chants and songs designed for one team can't just be used for another. It was quite astonishing for me to realise that the Rangers only had the 'Let's go Rangers let's go"-chant and the horn (I find it a pity that the horn is so loud. If there is a reaction of the fans, the horn must be too loud for the players to realise that their fans are cheering... ;) )

The Rangers going off the ice so quickly after a game I consider a big mistake. It would have done the promotion of NHL and NHL players much more good to have the Ranger players circle the ice once to salute the fans, than presenting the NHL, NHLPA and IIHF officials before and after the game. It was the Metallurg team who thought of saluting the fans before leaving, and the Rangers had to be co-erced by the fans to come over and do so too. Ah well, different hockey culture, lost in fan translation, etc...

(still the NY Times): Then there is the very ambitious notion of using the Victoria Cup to replace the NHL’s All-Star Game, which has never been less popular among fans, who see it as a corporate schmooze of marginal interest. The NHL could still have a skills contest and prospects game (dare we say NHL prospects vs. European prospects?) and still consider it their corporate centerpiece, but the Victoria Cup would have far more meaning if it were to take place in the middle of both the North American and European seasons."
    Personally, I don't like the idea of an All-Star-event. A hockey game is more interesting, even if the teams aren't closely matched. Prospects games are a joke from a Swiss perspective. After all, a third of the SC Bern team was made up of what might be called prospects, and they are full members of the team.
    Up The Irons!

-

"L'année de trop? Je l'ai faite quand j'avais 13 ans." = "If I played a year too much, it was the year when I was 13." -Gil Montandon, when asked if he wasn't a year too old to sign a contract as a hockey-pro at the age of 40. (That was in 2006. He went on playing professionally till the end of the 2008/09 season.)

Quote Originally Posted by New York Times
    Then there is the very ambitious notion of using the Victoria Cup to replace the NHL’s All-Star Game...
    Say Marc, wasn't that your idea?

Quote Originally Posted by twelve
    The Rangers going off the ice so quickly after a game I consider a big mistake. It would have done the promotion of NHL and NHL players much more good to have the Ranger players circle the ice once to salute the fans, than presenting the NHL, NHLPA and IIHF officials before and after the game. It was the Metallurg team who thought of saluting the fans before leaving, and the Rangers had to be co-erced by the fans to come over and do so too. Ah well, different hockey culture, lost in fan translation, etc...
    The Rangers did what they usually do, go to center ice and raise their sticks. In fact, the Rangers are one of the few NHL teams that actually salute their fans on the ice. I agree that they should have skated with the Victoria Cup, but like it was said, it was a pre-season game for them.

Say Marc, wasn't that your idea?
    Not to mention that:

Quote Originally Posted by New York Times
    As a result, if this year’s one-game format is used again next year, the European club will likely play host to the match.
    Which is what I have been saying ever since the Victoria Cup format was announced. The atmosphere is bound to be at its best when the game is played in the home arena (or at least home country) of the European team.

But about that All-Star game replacing idea. I am sure there are people who enjoy the All-Star game, no matter how not-serious hockey is played there. But I don't see why the All-Star game and the Victoria Cup couldn't both happen during the same weekend if there is need to take the VC to North America. The schedule could be:

Friday: Junior All-Star
    Saturday: Skills competition and Victoria Cup
    Sunday: All-Star game

So a couple of players from the VC participating NHL team couldn't compete in the All-Star games. Big deal, there are 29 other teams to pick from.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    But about that All-Star game replacing idea. I am sure there are people who enjoy the All-Star game, no matter how not-serious hockey is played there. But I don't see why the All-Star game and the Victoria Cup couldn't both happen during the same weekend if there is need to take the VC to North America. The schedule could be:

Friday: Junior All-Star
    Saturday: Skills competition and Victoria Cup
    Sunday: All-Star game

So a couple of players from the VC participating NHL team couldn't compete in the All-Star games. Big deal, there are 29 other teams to pick from.
    I've said something similar to what you have about that. I had the Victoria Cup on the same day as the ASG as the time differences would allow both to be played. But this, along with a hint from the New York Times, gives a good idea:

The NHL all star game format was always a two-day event, so I would retain that format. The first day would have a North America vs. Europe junior/rookie all star game followed by the skills competition on the first day. The young guns game could stay a shorter game for television and importance reasons, but it would be NHL-only as I doubt any club would send their juniors over to North America for one short exhibition match.

The second day would be the more important one. Obviously, it would be dependant on the host city of the Victoria Cup, but for argument's sake, let's use Eastern European Time. The game could start at 20.00 EET and would finish 2:30 later at 22.30. 22.30 EET is 16.30 Eastern NA standard time (EST). There would be a break, where the North American networks could show hockey programming giving insights into the players' lives or just show some other sporting event if they have a "weekend sports day" thing going until they break for the local and world news shows.

After the break, at 20.00 EST the pre-game festivities would lead into the NHL all star game with puck drop at 20.30 EST between the East and West conferences.

Does anybody else think we need to storm the NHL offices and rule the league by IHF committee? We already have some lawyers.

Just curious if there are any TV viewing numbers reported in Russia for the Victoria Cup?

Also if MSG reported any numbers as well.....

"Say Marc, wasn't that your idea?"

I'm willing to bet that this thread, and many threads at our forums, are read by many big names in the world of hockey.

well, we DO figure pretty high in Google searches on a number of hockey topics, so why not eh.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Just curious if there are any TV viewing numbers reported in Russia for the Victoria Cup?

Also if MSG reported any numbers as well.....
    Well unfortunately the game in Russia has been broadcasted only by pay-tv NTV+ and by Magnitogorsk regional channell TV-IN so not many persons must have followed the match actually.

"Say Marc, wasn't that your idea?"

I'm willing to bet that this thread, and many threads at our forums, are read by many big names in the world of hockey.
    Seems I quoted you quoting someone who quoted you?

The Rangers did what they usually do, go to center ice and raise their sticks. In fact, the Rangers are one of the few NHL teams that actually salute their fans on the ice. I agree that they should have skated with the Victoria Cup, but like it was said, it was a pre-season game for them.
    Yes, but isn't all this supposed to promote the NHL as well, and to win new fans for the league?

Also, there were fans who travelled all the way from NA to see their team play the VC (- irrespective of whether it is a preseason game or an important game -) IMHO it would have been nice of the players to show appreciation of that.
    Up The Irons!

-

"L'année de trop? Je l'ai faite quand j'avais 13 ans." = "If I played a year too much, it was the year when I was 13." -Gil Montandon, when asked if he wasn't a year too old to sign a contract as a hockey-pro at the age of 40. (That was in 2006. He went on playing professionally till the end of the 2008/09 season.)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information