Thread: National Associations- Evaluation

IHF Member

National Associations- Evaluation

Croatian hockey is in contradiction against itself. Players like to think of themselves as amateur enthusiasts who like playing hockey, but only under their terms. It means they want their equipment to be brand new and the best available on the market. They like that they don't have to pay anything for their hockey activities once they turned 18. They also get some monetary compensation.

However, they are very reluctant to accept the responsibility that comes with the status of semi-professional. They practice only if they are in the good mood and unattractive away matches are sometimes avoided by using excuses like school or work.

Why do they get away with this? Because they know there is grand total of 50 active seniors among all three Croatian teams and that they are virtually irreplaceable.

Coach has to play along because he has no alternative. If he gets sacked, no other hockey team is going to employ him (other two teams have foreign coaches) so he pretends that he is in charge, although this last game clearly showed that he isn't. In fact, the only players who more or less have to do as the coach says are the younger players. They are usually the only ones that coach openly criticises, because the older ones don't care.

And to be frank open, the coach himself has his funny ideas as well. The typical example was the match against Alfa (that is unlikely to win a single point) where Mladost played entire game with the starter goalie and top three shifts. No thought was given to rest the top players who have had to play the away match against Slavija the very next day. And Alfa arrived in Zagreb with 16 year goalie and twelve players, mostly juniors with few veterans.

On the top of that there is a brutal fact that all three Croatian clubs with all their selections (U8, U10, U12, U14, U16, U18, seniors) have to compete against figure skating, short track, women hockey, synchronised skating on the single ice rink in the entire country. The Dom Sportova ice rink is occupied by handball. The Šalata open ice rink is still unavailable, so it is apparent that Croatian hockey is on its way to meet Bulgarian one half way.
    Last edited by Drax; 06-10-2008 at 14:49.

IHF Member
    Very nice post, Drax. Sad, but nice since it's written without much of emotions in it. I would suggest to get it published on eurohockey.net, who knows maybe it would help at least a bit....

Quote Originally Posted by kozorog View Post
    Very nice post, Drax. Sad, but nice since it's written without much of emotions in it. I would suggest to get it published on eurohockey.net, who knows maybe it would help at least a bit....
    Agree with Kozorog, Drax...if you wanna publish it on eurohockey, I'm here, just ask..

Reading your posts Drax makes me confused - just how you can play hockey under these conditions + seriously plans to add Medvjedi to EBEL ... Hats off if you make it!
    JE !! SE !! NI !! CE

IHF Member
    The greatest obstacle between Medveščak and EBEL is the availability of the Dom Sportova Ice Hall. The problem lies in the fact that the city of Zagreb has as much understanding for the requirements of the ice sports as the city of Kranj had when it demolished the ice hall several years ago to make room for the supermarket.

Ice sports, hockey included, are the last in the row when the city decides whom to give a time in the "Ice Hall". Handball Champions League, Tennis Davis Cup, Futsall tournaments, rock concerts, religious gatherings, dogs exhibitions, everything takes precedence over the hockey and figure skating, traditional Croatian ice sports.

There is little hope that after the new, large, "Arena" hall is going to be finished for the World Handball Championship, that all these events shall be transfered there and free the Dom Sportova for its original purpose. However, I am not an optimist.

As for the state of the Croatian hockey in general, the main problem is in the "Old Boys Club" mentality where the little, well interconnected group controls Croatian hockey and what little money can be sucked out of it. The leadership of the Federation enjoys in free travels around the world while younger categories in all clubs are controlled by head coaches who milk money out of parents' pockets and live well while pretending that they are actually doing something with the kids.

This coalition is well organised to prevent any outsider from threatening their position and actually does not want any improvement because they would have lost their titles and jobs.

IHF Member
    Congratulations, Drax. We all know that, but you were the first to say that openly. Keep goin'! I already lost a faith that something can be changed, but hopefully (when we rich the bottom) something WILL change.

IHF Member

Are there more?

Quote Originally Posted by Drax View Post
    The greatest obstacle between Medveščak and EBEL is the availability of the Dom Sportova Ice Hall. The problem lies in the fact that the city of Zagreb has as much understanding for the requirements of the ice sports as the city of Kranj had when it demolished the ice hall several years ago to make room for the supermarket.

Ice sports, hockey included, are the last in the row when the city decides whom to give a time in the "Ice Hall". Handball Champions League, Tennis Davis Cup, Futsall tournaments, rock concerts, religious gatherings, dogs exhibitions, everything takes precedence over the hockey and figure skating, traditional Croatian ice sports.

There is little hope that after the new, large, "Arena" hall is going to be finished for the World Handball Championship, that all these events shall be transfered there and free the Dom Sportova for its original purpose. However, I am not an optimist.

As for the state of the Croatian hockey in general, the main problem is in the "Old Boys Club" mentality where the little, well interconnected group controls Croatian hockey and what little money can be sucked out of it. The leadership of the Federation enjoys in free travels around the world while younger categories in all clubs are controlled by head coaches who milk money out of parents' pockets and live well while pretending that they are actually doing something with the kids.

This coalition is well organised to prevent any outsider from threatening their position and actually does not want any improvement because they would have lost their titles and jobs.
    I wonder how many more associations are like that.
    You can certainly add Slovakia in the group. (I can post some facts, if you want)
    Any more?

IHF Member
    Slovene also..

Quote Originally Posted by Coss View Post
    Slovene also..
    Britain...

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

IHF Member

We should move this topic

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Britain...

Graham.
    We should create new thread about this topic and write facts.

I will create new topic under national teams.

IHF Member

National Associations- Evaluation

You can add Slovakia to the list.
    - Rebuilding O. Nepela rink for 40,5mil € instead of building new one for the World Cup 2011
    - Corruption in U20, U18, U16 teams
    - No development and support for young talents
    - SZLH doesn't want to pass on statistics to other hockey websites

Slovakian NHL players refused to represent Slovakia at World Championship due to many more issues in the past.

List:
    Croatia
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    Britain
    Last edited by mikal; 13-10-2008 at 16:32. Reason: already posted

I've picked the related posts from the Slovenian league thread and moved them here. This is a pretty good discussion, and I'll be interested to hear more.

Graham, perhaps you could expand a bit on the UK hockey situation.

Marc B, I know you're planning a piece that could be related to this issue (though not exactly the same thing, it seems similar in its end result) about hockey in Israel, perhaps you'll be willing to pitch into the discussion once that is ready.

I'll be happy to, Steigs.

However, for the reasons we discussed privately, I will also want to post it in the Israeli forum so it has a chance of being noticed by those we spoke about.

Quote Originally Posted by Steigs View Post
    Graham, perhaps you could expand a bit on the UK hockey situation.
    Happy to, but won't be this week as I've got a 3-day workshop with a customer that's going to keep me tied. However, looks like I've got a flight next week to Helsinki that could do with being filled with something like this.

Graham.
    "It's very hard to talk quantum using a language originally designed to tell other monkeys where the ripe fruit is."
    ---
    "Night Watch", Terry Pratchett

Thread Information