Thread: Hockey Europe?

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar

Hockey Europe?

I don't know about how much is this rumor spread in the Western Europe, but in Russia they insist that some of the Western and Central Europe Hockey Federations are thinking about creating an unique league to fight NHL and KHL power.
    It should be formed by
    Finland
    Sweden
    Czech Republic
    Slovakia
    Germany
    Switzerland

Source: http://allhockey.ru/news/38624/
    Also, I didn't know where to place this thread.
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Just to add something.
    Here there is a Kukla's corner blog entry on the matter: http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...hockey_europe/
    and here: http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...-khl/#more-975
    New York Times

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    I don't know about how much is this rumor spread in the Western Europe, but in Russia they insist that some of the Western and Central Europe Hockey Federations are thinking about creating an unique league to fight NHL and KHL power.
    Someone already posted and/or started a thread on this but I can't find it anywhere. Anyway here is the official release (in English): http://www.sm-liiga.fi/arkisto/uutis...jen-etuja.html

It's not going to be a league but just cooperation in certain areas to help the leagues survive better in the competition against NHL and KHL. The CEO of SM-Liiga, Jukka-Pekka Vuorinen will be the first Hockey Europe president and the base of the organization is in Köln, Germany.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Interesting. The logo is truly horrible though.
    Shardik, seeing that this isn't going to be a league, what kind of things can we expect in your opinion?

The description of what this group will actually do looks pretty vague, but I'm a fan of this concept. This kind of cooperation is exactly what will be needed to combat the financial strength of the KHL and NHL.
    I"ll be interested to see if there does emerge a plan for a joint league (as we've seen, perhaps with each country having a division in a 30-team league, and promotion-relegation between its own national league and its "Hockey Europe League" division?) Okay, it's a pipe dream, but a few years ago so was the thought that a league could even think to compete financially with the NHL (and the KHL has had a good start on that path now)

On the surface and not knowing the fine details yet - I like this.

If there is more cooperation between nations in hockey, it should help to grow the sport in the nations where hockey is not strong (once this group expands), and maintain hockey's position in the nations where it is strong.

Better this than before where every nation was simply looking at their own interests.

Obviously as a hockey fan, I think the sport should be in the top-3 of the world's winter sports (and eventually better). But reaching that position it has to start somewhere, and perhaps this is it....we'll see.

During our discussion last Summer I actually predicted that the KHL would be counterbalanced by the other European leagues. It happened a little sooner than I expected.

While its not stated openly, the objective of Hockey Europe is to ensure that the other European leagues will not be squeezed by the NHL and the KHL. The operating goal is to ensure unity among the leagues and their clubs in their dealings with the NHL, KHL and the IIHF.

A central European (or EU centred) league is not in the cards, but Hockey Europe will also work to promote the national and international hockey tournaments in Europe in all aspects.

Switzerland, which not a EU member, is only an associated member of Hockey Europe which hopes to expand with other European countries in the future.

Could you explain the last part, Karsten?
    Hockey Europe isn't linked directly to the EU, so why would that influence the part Switzerland plays in this new organisation?
    Up The Irons!

-

"L'année de trop? Je l'ai faite quand j'avais 13 ans." = "If I played a year too much, it was the year when I was 13." -Gil Montandon, when asked if he wasn't a year too old to sign a contract as a hockey-pro at the age of 40. (That was in 2006. He went on playing professionally till the end of the 2008/09 season.)

EBEL has joined Hockey Europe at the meeting held in Köln during the IHWC.

Source (in German): http://www.erstebankliga.at/8f234634abc92fd30763c1e63b89d9bf.html?arrSave[ArticleID]=5360

Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    EBEL has joined Hockey Europe at the meeting held in Köln during the IHWC.

Source (in German): http://www.erstebankliga.at/8f234634abc92fd30763c1e63b89d9bf.html?arrSave[ArticleID]=5360

Please, if not a problem, can you translate it, becuase last article on english at EBEL is from final series between RBS and Linz.

Thanks !
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

IHF Staff
    Here it is:

During the IHWC in Germany EBEL was accepted at a Hockey Europe meeting as 7th full member (besides Sweden, Finland, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Slovakia). Hockey Europe represents the economic and sportive interests of European club hockey.

With Red Bull Salzburg EBEL includes the current Continental Cup champions, Medvescak Zagreb and KAC (with the help of the open air game against Villach which is the fourth most attended hockey game in European history) made the leap into Europe's 50 most attended hockey clubs Overal EBEL ranks 7th attendancewise among European leagues.

Foremost the very professional organisatorical framework, the positive development of the league's media presence in Austria as well as in Slovenia, Hungary and lately also in Croatia and the fact that four countries are involved in the competition on a long term basis were instrumental in the unanimous decision of the European leagues' representatives.

With the inclusion in Hockey Europe the league has achieved a great success and can now co-determine European club hockey's futire. "After a very successful season this is further step into the right direction. EBEL has fully arrived in European league hockey" says Christian Feichtinger (EBEL executive manager) who will represent the league at Hockey Europe meetings.

Not really informative...

So, at the end of the day, has this Hockey Europe any purpose, power or whatever??

Thread Information