View Poll Results: What teams will advance to the finals?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Metallurg Magnitogorsk

6 18.75%
  • Salavat Yulaev Ufa

24 75.00%
  • Espoo Blues

23 71.88%
  • ZSC Lions

7 21.88%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: European Champions Hockey League Semifinals Discussion

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post
    Well, for ZSC and Salavat the 2nd game don't matter at all - they can loose 20:0 - all they have to do now is training for a penalty shoot-out... And as I said already - a penalty shoot-out at home is not really that big an advantage...

So it's only for Espoo and Metallurg that the 2nd game matters everything - they have to win. But then I am sure that neither Salavat nor Zurich are keen, no matter how much they are training now :-) , to go for a penalty shoot-out.

And thus spectators in Ufa and Espoo will certainly see the good games which they definitely deserve - thanks to this formula.

Or the other way around: If the aggregate would be counting and a team would've won the 1st game with 6 or 7 goals difference, then the 2nd game would be meaningless, as the winner would have to score only 1 or 2 goals to make it impossible for the other team to advance. But as the 2nd game should be a reward to the club and crowd of the most successful teams in qualification, it wouldn't be nice to let them see a meaningless game..

I hope this helps to understand that only this formula guarantees good games for all home crowds, without giving a team too much of a home advantage and also the chance to still win a series despite a one game "blackout" - most probably caused by too many injuries.

So all in all this is the best possible solution - also considering that TV stations don't like prolongations at all...
    Ah, I see now. Thank you for the explanations.

I do think the group stage format could use some work though. I think more than just the winner should qualify for the "playoff". The season seems oddly short, but I'm sure that will change with the addition of all the other nations next year.

This is not the real thread at all but as I am not able to create a new one I will ask here. About next season - which teams will take place in qualification next season from other KHL countries except Russia? Will it be them- Latvia (Dinamo Riga ), Belarus (Dinamo Minsk), Kazakhstan (Barys Astana), or respective national championship winners as it should be?

IHWC Semifinal 2nd Leg Predictions

After a long break between the 1st and 2nd legs, the 2nd leg is comming up on Wedesnday and we'll find out who will be in the Champions League Final.

Salavat Yulayev Ufa 3 Metallurg Magnitogorsk 2

Espoo Blues 4 ZSC Lions 4

Salavat Yulayev Ufa and ZSC Lions will play in the Final.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Oz View Post
    This is not the real thread at all but as I am not able to create a new one I will ask here. About next season - which teams will take place in qualification next season from other KHL countries except Russia? Will it be them- Latvia (Dinamo Riga ), Belarus (Dinamo Minsk), Kazakhstan (Barys Astana), or respective national championship winners as it should be?
    Non-Russian KHL teams have no rights to play ECHL.
    It looks unfair to me but so are ECHL rules.
    Salavat - green rockets!

Even in case when a non-russian team win a title? Probably not. What a pity. Because these teams could mount a serious challange for last four.

Predictions:

Salavat Yulayev Ufa 5 Metallurg Magnitogorsk 1

Espoo Blues 4 ZSC Lions 1 (Blues win after a shootout)
    Aqua jacta est

Salavat Yulayev Ufa 4 Metallurg Magnitogorsk 2

Espoo Blues 1 ZSC Lions 3
    Soitten, korpein halki tarvon, aarnikankain aarteit etsin, ikihenki syömmehessäin', vuorten voima ranteissain!

No one else watching the game? Well, I just got to it myself. Metallurg is leading 1-3 with five minutes left in the third period and a penalty for Salavat. Smells like a shootout.

Hope that Metallurg Captain Atyushov didn't get seriously hurt. Looked pretty bad.

EDIT: and shootout it is
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

And Metallurg is in the final! Shootout ended 2-0. The Metallurg shooters found Eremenko's weak spot, five-hole. Both shots went through there and Metallurg's goalie Proskuryakov stopped both of Salavat's tries.
    Last edited by Shardik; 07-01-2009 at 19:27. Reason: Proskuryakov -> Eremenko
    "Only if we lose."

Russia Congrats to Metallurg!!!

Fantastic game!!! Metallurg has shown all it's best!!! So, Zurich is the next victim?!
    "Keep nothing in your house that you can't use or don't find beautiful" W.Morris :smart:

Quote Originally Posted by DIN View Post
    Fantastic game!!! Metallurg has shown all it's best!!! So, Zurich is the next victim?!
    That is so. And the one after that will be Metallurg!
    "Only if we lose."

Great game because I love surprises. As a neutral I wanted to shootout. Before game I wanted to see SY in the final but I switched sides after Radulov's challange on Metallurg's skipper. I have no idea why that check was needed. But I'm very pleased with perfomance of referee. They had a great game. I 'm mentioning it because I think russian referees are too soft and they give away to many penalty minutes. Today players were nervously watching referees after each solid challange. imo it was final before final.

IHF Member
    Blues - Zürich 3 - 1 (but I think Zürich win the penalties).
    Congrats to Metallurg for their final place!

IHF Member
    I'm very surpised about the win of Metallurg. But at the end the strongest team won.

IHF Member
    It seems to be a final game between Metallurg and SC Lion.
    After the first part leads SC Lion 2:0.

Congrats to Magnitka !! I really didnt belive that they will beat Ufa, after they lost first game at home. Hope they will take second title in row.
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

IHF Member
    If SC Lions wins today, its will have the home advantage in the second final game!

IHF Member
    But theyr Home Arena is not available for them:( I think it some concert in the Arena.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    But theyr Home Arena is not available for them:( I think it some concert in the Arena.
    Again not available? like last time? Fasel should do all possible. I think for the final game will be needed a big arena over 10000 seats..

It looks pretty much over now, the Lions will play in the final, congrats!!
    "It is hard to see a black cat in a dark room, especially when it isn't there."

ZSC wins 4:1

IHF Member
    Lions liked stronger no questions.
    In both semi-finals won outsider. Krutov will play again Magnitogorks.

Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
    hmm...You cant call Magnitogorsk an outsider. Of course that Ufa was a favourite, but it is not such difference between these two clubs.

IHF Member

Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Forsberg View Post
    hmm...You cant call Magnitogorsk an outsider. Of course that Ufa was a favourite, but it is not such difference between these two clubs.
    I think it's meant the same. To be favorite for one and to be outsider for another in the same game. Or my English is not good enough yet.
    But it was a surprise fo several people that Metallurg won.

IHF Member

Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Forsberg View Post
    I think it's meant the same. To be favorite for one and to be outsider for another in the same game. Or my English is not good enough yet.
    But it was a surprise fo several people that Metallurg won.

Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
    Seems to be an interesting Final. Zurich is a good team to play with!!! Let the strongest will be !!!
    "Keep nothing in your house that you can't use or don't find beautiful" W.Morris :smart:

Congrats to Zürich! They played a good game again. This time it was tight but Blues just couldn't get enough pucks past Sulander. Well, it's just as well. Blues has been bad in shootouts this year.

I hope Zürich will be victorious also in the finals! Where will they play their home game if Hallenstadion is not available? Perhaps Bern? Any small (below 10,000) stadium would be a shame for the climax of the great CHL season.
    "Only if we lose."

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    By the way, the finals will have the same rules? I mean first game and second game then eventual shootout?
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

ZSC will play their home game at Rapperswil according to iihf.com.
    Nederlandse IJshockey Bond
    www.nijb.nl

IHF Member

Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    By the way, the finals will have the same rules? I mean first game and second game then eventual shootout?
    Yes it's true. There will be not a overtime. In case each team will win one game, after the second game will take place shootout.

IHF Member
    Its Holiday on Ice in the Home Arena:-O So they have to play 40km outside in Rapperwil. What a shame !

IHF Member
    The Champions League Final in this small Arena:(

http://www.hockeyarenas.net/index.ph...city&arID=1197

Its like a joke

IHF Member

Russia

Its Holiday on Ice in the Home Arena:-O So they have to play 40km outside in Rapperwil. What a shame !
    Wherefrom is the information?

Obviously there is no home advantage in CHL as Salavat, Metallurg and ZSC (2 times) won their games away.

So with playing in Rapperswil-Jona, ZSC has 2 away games again - which means that Metallurg has to fight also against the home disadvantage :-)...

IHF Member
    For the Switzerland as the ice hockey country it's a big success to play in the final game.
    Lions have nothing to lose against the favorite Metallurg thereby they will become more dangerous for the Metallurg.

ZSC Lions are one of my very favorite European teams.......congratulations to them!

While I expect Metallurg to win comfortably, I would LOVE to see ZSC pull off the upset.

I have long said that the Swiss NLA is underrated, and I think this helps to support that argument. I think that the NLA is every bit as good as SM-Liiga & the Czech Extraliga, nearly on par with Elitserien, and better than Germany's DEL and the Slovak Extraliga.

Of course, I wonder who the NHL will have play for the second Victoria Cup.....it would be nice for the Rangers to have the chance to defend their title, but I doubt that it will happen.

Personally, if not the Rangers, I'd like to see Washington (due to Ovechkin, Federov & Semin), Pittsburgh (due to Malkin & Crosby), Montreal or Detroit play for the Victoria Cup. Just don't send the Toronto Maple Leafs unless the NHL wants to see Metallurg win.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    The Champions League Final in this small Arena:(

http://www.hockeyarenas.net/index.ph...city&arID=1197

Its like a joke
    Well, I've been there, and that arena is very, very good.

Some pictures i took this summer
    http://www.hockeytime.net/gallery/index.php?cat=744
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    Perhaps Bern? Any small (below 10,000) stadium would be a shame for the climax of the great CHL season.
    As modest and humble Zurich Fans are, they will surely tell you that it's early enough for them to play in Bern in September for the Victoria Cup...

And I am also pretty sure that they wouldn't sell more than 8000-10000 tickets in Zurich for Bern, as it's more than 1hrs drive (in good road conditions) and during the week.

So every additional ticket sold would go to Bern, Biel, Langnau, Fribourg, Lausanne, Davos and maybe Lugano and Ambri Fans in the region. And as none of these Fans are particularly fond of Zurich (and especially it's fans), it could well be that they would support Magnitka (like Davos fans at Spengler cup did with Ufa and Dynamo Moskva against Team Canada). And after all, ZSC wants at least a home atmosphere if they can't play at home, which is guaranteed in nearby Rapperswil...

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    ZSC Lions are one of my very favorite European teams.......congratulations to them!

While I expect Metallurg to win comfortably, I would LOVE to see ZSC pull off the upset.

I have long said that the Swiss NLA is underrated, and I think this helps to support that argument. I think that the NLA is every bit as good as SM-Liiga & the Czech Extraliga, nearly on par with Elitserien, and better than Germany's DEL and the Slovak Extraliga.

Of course, I wonder who the NHL will have play for the second Victoria Cup.....it would be nice for the Rangers to have the chance to defend their title, but I doubt that it will happen.

Personally, if not the Rangers, I'd like to see Washington (due to Ovechkin, Federov & Semin), Pittsburgh (due to Malkin & Crosby), Montreal or Detroit play for the Victoria Cup. Just don't send the Toronto Maple Leafs unless the NHL wants to see Metallurg win.

Woow calm down a bit here. Blues is still not any where near the best team in finland...So compairing leagues still doesnt do it. Jokerit I would name the number one(btw their home capacity is something 14 000). And the depht of finnish and NA is compleatly different so lets just calm things a bit here. Blues right now on 5th place and it looks like they are gonna leave without a straight playoff place. Hasnt been going good for them in a long time. Sm league is stronger than the extra league, but with elitserien they are about the same even elitserien has a bit bigger budgets.

And talking about clear victory in the game blues-zsc is kinda wrong. All the chanses zsc could creat was on pp and the 2 goals came from there(both of them brucklers falt as uual, i hate him, even the playes before the goal were nice but hte shots were weak.). Blues totally outplayed them in the 2 last periods, and when the game was 1-2 blues scored a clear goal which was disallowed and blues got penalty for it and it was in the half way of the game which would have turned the things completly up side down. and we know the rest 2 empty netters making it 4-1...

//good luck to zsc and hope u beat metalurg

IHF Prospect
    lions will win easily they have a few canadians

SM-Liiga and the Swiss NLA are both approximately AHL level. Nothing more, nothing less.

You'd be hard pressed to argue that Jokerit is head and shoulders above ZSC or Davos.

Karpat, until this season, had been very, very strong over the past few years. Other than that, there's no SM-Liiga team that was recently head and shoulders over everything that the NLA offers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"lions will win easily they have a few canadians"

Err, welcome to the forums.........

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    SM-Liiga and the Swiss NLA are both approximately AHL level. Nothing more, nothing less.

You'd be hard pressed to argue that Jokerit is head and shoulders above ZSC or Davos.

Karpat, until this season, had been very, very strong over the past few years. Other than that, there's no SM-Liiga team that was recently head and shoulders over everything that the NLA offers.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"lions will win easily they have a few canadians"

Err, welcome to the forums.........
    Lol how do you explain NA vs. SM-league 3-13, it think its quite clear. I cant tell you about ahl cause hasnt seen a single game but if you have its nice to have comments from the "expert". btw i really think the people from NA could leave this threat alone if you r coming here to judge things with such a huge amount of knowledge.

Unlike you, I have watched many AHL games over the past 15 years.

I have also watched a fair amount of NLA and SM-Liiga games online.

That alone is enough to show a casual observer that the leagues are roughly equivalent, albeit having slightly different styles of play. Interestingly, SM-Liiga is more "North American" in style than perhaps any major European league other than the German DEL.

Additionally, there is a fair amount of player movement between all three leagues, so one can track how the players perform in each league and see that there's not a huge difference in their stats from one league to another.

Furthermore, NLA and SM-Liiga teams have played each other plenty of times in exhibition games. It's hardly a historical record of 16 games as you seem to claim.

From all of the foregoing, it is a fair assessment to state that the leagues are roughly equal in level.

One doesn't have to be from either North America or Europe to be qualified to draw the conclusion.

If you believe that SM-Liiga is head and shoulders above the Swiss NLA, backing it up with facts rather than empty rhetoric would be nice.

IHF Member
    Sm league is stronger than the extra league, but with elitserien they are about the same even elitserien has a bit bigger budgets.
    I will say the top teams from SM-leauge and the SHL are on the same level but the rest of the teams in SHL are a bit stronger compare to the rest of the teams in SM-leauge.

One thing are clear the Sweden leauge and the clubs dont care about the CHL and this is not good at all. It will hurt both the SHL and CHL in the long run. I hope Sweden clubs and the SHL will put more prestige in it next year, after all its the européen club championship in hockey. And the sweden fans seems to like it.

Its very good of ZSC to make it to the finals and its very good for swiss hockey. I think they can go all the way. They play a fast offensiv hockey, very funny to watch. Its clear ZSC are as good as the top teams from both SHL and SM-leauge.

I have seen a lot of game from AHL and I think the leauge are on the same level as the Sweden qualification-leauge, but its a bit hard to say, AHL plays on small ice so its a little different game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    They play a fast offensiv hockey, very funny to watch.
    Unbelievable: a Finn (my collegue) and a Swede for once fully agree and this time even by using exactly the same words...

And there are quite a few teams in the league which can even play faster or at least just as fast: Kloten Flyers, HC Lugano, EV Zug (last year under Sean Simpson and now slowly but steadily again under Doug Shedden), HC Davos (when they don't suffer from Spengler Cup jet lag) and sometimes also Berne, Ambri or Geneva.

And believe me: when 2 teams play this same style of hockey, then it's not only funny, but also pretty spectacular...
    Because this hockey is not about preventing own mistakes by all means as top discplined Russian, Swedish, Finnish or Czech teams do and then hoping/praying for the opponent to make the decisive one, but actively forcing the other team to make one more mistake than you do yourself, no matter how many are needed...
    And many mistakes naturally lead to many goals - unless goalkeepers stand on their heads to manage a once in a while 40-50 saves evening...

That's why I dare say that NLA is far from being the toughest, far from being the roughest, far from being the most tactictal and disciplined, far from being the fastest with at same time high passing accuracy and logically far from being the most complete (and thus also best) league in Europe.
    However, I also dare say that it is the funniest (and yes, sometimes even ridiculous), but thanks to this also the most spectacular league in Europe.

The problem is, that with spectacle alone you might win Spengler Cup games, but certainly not CHL ones...
    So Sean Simpsons' transformation of ZSC from a competitive NLA team to a just as competitive CHL team is - simp(son)ly spectacular...

IHF Member
    That's why I dare say that NLA is far from being the toughest, far from being the roughest, far from being the most tactictal and disciplined, far from being the fastest with at same time high passing accuracy and logically far from being the most complete (and thus also best) league in Europe.
    However, I also dare say that it is the funniest (and yes, sometimes even ridiculous), but thanks to this also the most spectacular league in Europe.
    I think you are right, in Sweden Allsvenskan, the 2-leauge are more funny to watch becurse its less tactical and discplined. To much tactics and disciplin makes the game sometimes realy borring to watch.

I will see sweden teams play more offensiv, to think about to score insted of think about how to stop the other team from scoring. I will see more 6-5 games in SHL and fewer 2-1 games...

I will see more canadien players in the sweden top teams. This year Rögle BK sign the Abbott twins(Can) from Frisk Tigers(Norway) and they have had a big impact on the leauge so far and played a outstanding offensiv game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information