Thread: Namibia

IHF Member

Namibia

I have heard that Windhoek Lions are the icehockeyclub in this country.
    Who can help me further with logo, articles? :)

Quote Originally Posted by rowan
    I have heard that Windhoek Lions are the icehockeyclub in this country.
    Who can help me further with logo, articles? :)
    Yes, Windhoek Lions established an ice hockey branch in December 2003, but it still doesn't have an ice rink. A rink with 1,800 seats is being planned though. So far, the people behind the initiative have organized a couple of training camps in South Africa.

This piece of news was published by IIHF in late 2003:

Southern Africa nation looks to be the next to start ice hockey
    Hockey continues to grow in all corners of the world. The most recent country to express interest in joining the IIHF as a ice hockey playing member is the nation of Namibia, located in southern Africa.
    Namibia is already a member of the IIHF, but only as an In-Line Hockey nation. Now, backed by European allies, the African nation is making the push to develop an ice hockey league.
    The idea started with German Roland Kunz, who is currently living in the Namibian city of Windhoek. He enlisted the help of fellow German Lothar Sigl who has taken the challenge to heart and is recruiting help from all over the world.
    Sigl's first phone call was to former IIHF Technical Director Roman Neumayer, who could be instrumental in helping the nation meet the IIHF minimum standards for membership. Those minimum standards include having at least three clubs and being a member of the National Olympic Committee.
    Namibia is well on the way to meeting those standards. Already, 40 people have expressed interest in playing. Those 40 players will have their chance to take to the ice in Cape Town, South Africa, for a training camp from December 15-20. German Bernd Haake will run the camp, and Sigl will donate the uniforms.
    After the training camp, Sigl and the remaining players will turn their attention to developing the sport within the borders of Namibia. The nation hopes to build an 1,800-seat arena in Windhoek with the assistance of Swiss Contractor, Benjamin Buhrer. They are also hoping to have a second club started in Botswana after December.

Hockeweb.de, Oct 2003, Eishockey in Namibia startbereit (article referred to by IIHF)

I don't think Windhoek Lions has a logo or a website yet.

In case anybody was wondering, here's the Facebook page for the Namibia Ice and Inline Hockey Association: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Namib...75929249120362
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Namibia will be participating in the FIRS Inline Hockey Championships in Anaheim from July 15-20th. The teams in this tournament are:

Pool A : Italy - Switzerland - USA - Colombia

Pool B : Czech Republic - France - Latvia - Canada

Pool C : Chile - Namibia - Germany - Venezuela - New Zealand

Pool D : China - Sweden - Mexico - Brazil - Japan

Pool E : India - Australia - Great Britain - Argentina
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Thread Information