View Poll Results: Which team will win the Champions Hockey League?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • • Metallurg Magnitogorsk

23 67.65%
  • • ZSC Lions

11 32.35%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: European Champions Hockey League Finals Discussion

IIHF European Champions Hockey League Finals Discussion

Finals Schedule

DateHome TeamAway TeamStart Time
    21/01Metallurg MagintogorskZSC Lions17:30
    28/01ZSC LionsMetallurg Magintogorsk19:30
    Last edited by Aldair; 10-01-2009 at 19:11.

IHF Member
    I think the Mettalurg has more chances to win this cup no doubt.
    But the main problem is that the team has to play 5 game until 21th of January. And this is a little bit to much. And in the same time SC Lions will play "only" 3 games.
    20.01. 19:45 SC Bern -:- ZSC Lions - and this game will be plaeyd later, I'm very sure.

I think Metallurg is going to win, but i'm rooting for ZSC like crazy to win this thing.
    Last edited by tanman9; 08-01-2009 at 02:04.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

I certainly believe that Metallurg will win...........but I am rooting hard for the ZSC Lions (my favorite Swiss team along with Davos, and one of my favorite European teams overall) to pull off the huge upset!!!!!!!!

Right now it seems no team in Europe can beat the top Russian teams when it really matters. Metallurg will take the cup.
    Aqua jacta est

IHF Member
    Ï think ZSC will win.

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
    But the main problem is that the team has to play 5 game until 21th of January. And this is a little bit to much. And in the same time SC Lions will play "only" 3 games.
    20.01. 19:45 SC Bern -:- ZSC Lions - and this game will be plaeyd later, I'm very sure.
    Metallurg has a very deep roster overall and thus they can surely make the players rest a bit. They absolutely want to win this cup and as far as now I can't see anything that can stop them even if I do think that Swiss League is under rated. Plus Aris Sulander is a beast, what a player. And 40 years old
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

IHF Member
    I think ZSC will not win. KHL is stronger League. But I think also the Swiss NLA is better than all everytime say. Equal like SM-League.

MMG will win
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

"But I think also the Swiss NLA is better than all everytime say. Equal like SM-League."

Dan, I agree with you 100%. In fact, I argued that very point right here:

http://forums.internationalhockey.ne...?t=7644&page=2

I do hope its gonna be close games at least, though I can't see any Zurich chances, sorry.

IHF Prospect
    zsc will win both games

Quote Originally Posted by larry down View Post
    zsc will win both games
    Aha, maybe on X-Box 360!

ZSC Lions managed to arrange at least a public viewing possibility together with Hallenstadion AG: A heated tent outside the Hallenstadion built for the CSI horseriding tournament can stay a few more days as a "beer tent" with big screen.

Like that 2800 Fans will be able to watch the final at least in a game like atmosphere for 10 CHF (about 7 EUR)...

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro View Post
    Plus Aris Sulander is a beast, what a player. And 40 years old
    hah!

ok.. i think everyone knows that magnitogorsk will win this cup, but i hope too, that zurich can challenge the russians :)

IHF Prospect
    zsc will win the canadians on the team will prevail

zsc will win the canadians on the team will prevail
    Magnitka will win, russians and czechs on team will prevail

IHWC Final's Leg 1 Prediction

With now under a week left till the 1st leg of the CHL Final, it's predicition time for the 1st game on Jan. 21.

Metallurg Magintogorsk 4 ZSC Lions 2

BTW: Does anyone know if the 2008-09 CHL Champions will get an automatic birth for the 2009-2010 Champions Hockey League?
    Last edited by tanman9; 16-01-2009 at 19:39.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

MMg - Zsc 8:1

IHF Prospect
    MMg -Zsc 0;1 goal by blaine down

IHF Member

Russia

MMg -Zsc 0;1 goal by blaine down
    I think Metallurg sweeps away Zcs 4:0 or more, at any rate the win for Metallurg.

I think Metallurg will win 6-2 over the 2 legs, (2-1 and 4-1)

But, LETS GO ZSC!

Magnitogorsk 6 Zürich 1

Magnitogorsk 5 Zürich 2, i think ZSC will have better chances on "home" ice.
    Soitten, korpein halki tarvon, aarnikankain aarteit etsin, ikihenki syömmehessäin', vuorten voima ranteissain!

5-2 Metallurg :)
    Sorry4my_bad_english =)

Quote Originally Posted by Barmaley View Post
    ZSC will have played 5 games by then as well, the one on the 20th would've been the 6th...

So Metallurg being more tired because of too many games would be a bad excuse...

IHF Member Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
    Who's going to attend return match? We can meet!
    My articles at The Hockey Writers

IHF Member
    Rooting for ZSC. Was lucky enough to see their first round playoff game last year when visiting in Zurich. Lets go Lions!

Metallurg Magnitogorsk gave away already quite a big part of its home advantage: While Eisbären Berlin had to wait no less than 6 ! hours at the airport to clear passport control and customs, ZSC Lions including 60 Fans managed to get through in 50 Mins. only - and 1hr later they already had an on-ice training session.
    This mainly thanks to more than 20 journalists and several high ranked IIHF officials travelling with them, as well as Metallurg's president himself awaiting them at the airport.

But now ZSC Lions have also one excuse less to explain a heavy loss, especially as the very late start of the game (local time 21.30) might work in their favour as well: They decided to ignore the 4hrs time difference, so for them the game will start at a more convenient time = 17.30..

The Champions League Final is now underway.

On the internet, The Champions League Final is on Universal Sports website.

BTW: The Championship Trophy is called the "Silver Stone".

www.universalsports.com

0-2 for ZSC already!

Metallurg hasn't found a solution against the ZSC forechecking yet.

The 2nd goal was beautiful
    Up The Irons!

-

"L'année de trop? Je l'ai faite quand j'avais 13 ans." = "If I played a year too much, it was the year when I was 13." -Gil Montandon, when asked if he wasn't a year too old to sign a contract as a hockey-pro at the age of 40. (That was in 2006. He went on playing professionally till the end of the 2008/09 season.)

ZSC outshoot metallurg 17-9 in the first period.
    Soitten, korpein halki tarvon, aarnikankain aarteit etsin, ikihenki syömmehessäin', vuorten voima ranteissain!

Metallurg has evened out the shot-on-goal ratio, but the score is still 0-2.
    The Metallurg-players are not amused...
    Up The Irons!

-

"L'année de trop? Je l'ai faite quand j'avais 13 ans." = "If I played a year too much, it was the year when I was 13." -Gil Montandon, when asked if he wasn't a year too old to sign a contract as a hockey-pro at the age of 40. (That was in 2006. He went on playing professionally till the end of the 2008/09 season.)

Russia

Pretty good performace by Lions, but in the Third period there will see another game by Metallurg!!! Have seen a lot of times the same scenario in the Russian Superleague and KHL!!!
    "Keep nothing in your house that you can't use or don't find beautiful" W.Morris :smart:

Here we go...1-2!
    "It is hard to see a black cat in a dark room, especially when it isn't there."

If it ends 2-2, do we go to SO?
    "It is hard to see a black cat in a dark room, especially when it isn't there."

to bad metallurg scores 43 sec. before the end :(

Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    If it ends 2-2, do we go to SO?
    It can be draw, so we'll be wait for the next game!!!
    "Keep nothing in your house that you can't use or don't find beautiful" W.Morris :smart:

2-2, IMO, the last goal was lucky, though Metallurg played much better in the last period.
    Up The Irons!

-

IHF Member

Russia

Quote Originally Posted by twelve View Post
    0-2 for ZSC already!

Metallurg hasn't found a solution against the ZSC forechecking yet.

The 2nd goal was beautiful
    I agree the 2nd goal the best in the game.
    Lions were very strong unexpected strong. I though Metallurg will lose, but in the 2nd and 3rd thirds Metallurg was better and could score 2 times. It was fantastic 43 seconds bevor the End.
    The better team will win in the last game.

I didnt watch game, but I am suprised with result. Anyway, I think that MMG will win in Zurich.

aaaaaaaaaaah Ari. The main man throughout the match, makes a silly mistake.

But then, ZSC also missed a penalty shot...

IHF Member
    Yes, in the last Perios MG was realy better. Zürcher SC was defending very good and one Penaty Shoot and the 1:1 Situation bevor the 1:2 must come 3:0 for ZSC.

Anyway. Very good game !

And Swiss NLA is realy one of the Top Leagues in Europe I think but for MG will win the Titel.

IHF Member
    How sad. I leave when it's 2-0 to come back to news of a tie.

At least it makes it a one game final the way it should be!

Go Lions! Win it on home ice!

ZSC has a good chance to win at "home" if they should be lucky enough to get the lead again, as obviously Simpson has implemented Kruegers' "Swiss trap" even better with ZSC than latter with the National team...

But also if Metallurg should score first, chances that the game ends 6:0 like semi-final last WC are also a bit lower, because ZSC has enough Canadians who can score out of nowhere. And that they can tie a game just as good as Metallurg did, they showed in the home game against Slavia Prague.

So the base for a good and tight final game is given - let's hope that both teams try to win - and not just prevent to lose...
    Last edited by Andi; 22-01-2009 at 01:59.

I'm surprised but not stunned.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll repeat myself for the 200th time or so - any team from any European top-7 league can beat any other team from any European top-7 league - and even an NHL team - on any given night.

Certainly the KHL is stronger than NLA. But good NLA teams can certainly beat a KHL team, even a good one, on any given night.

Again, I believe that the NLA is above Germany's DEL and Slovakia's Extraliga levels, and on par with Finland's SM-Liiga and the Czech Extraliga. And it is only very slightly behind Sweden's Elitserien. It's an underrated league with some very good teams.

Although the Rangers beat SC Bern 8-1, for example, the game was only a 2-1 or 3-1 game halfway through, when Bern had Buhrer in goal. It was only after switching to their backup goalie that the Rangers shelled them.

ZSC certainly has a good shot now - a friendly crowd, familiar arena (even if it is not home, per se), not much travel, and one game to pull off a miracle. I'd love to see them do it.

We will see Metallurg's mettle for sure.

I wonder what team the NHL will have play for the Victoria Cup. My guess is Montreal, Pittsburgh or Detroit.

If ZSC pulls off the upset against Metallurg, I say that the NHL should throw the Islanders in there to play the Lions, and I'd then put money on the Lions to pull another upset.

Nice game by Lions, I really suprised of a tight dscipline and tactics. I'd say 1st period was kinda cold shower for Magnitka. Great job by Sean Simpson, now should know that guy better. And the second score by Wichser, what a brilliant piece of work

Actually I thought Mg will win in 3rd, .. anyway I'm sure they won't understimate Zurich one more time. Mg's gonna make it no doubt.
    Last edited by andy; 22-01-2009 at 13:38.

IHF Member
    Nice game to watch. KHL-teams even the top teams in KHL are not any super-teams like the teams in NHL. NHL are still in a league of its own.

Its very little diffrence between the top teams in the top européen leagues. The big difreence between the leagues in Europe are if you look behind the top teams and look att the depth of the league. In Sweden we maybe even have to mutch depth in the league to make the top team strong enought to fight for the CHL crown.

Its good we have many teams on a strong economic level but the result are the top players plays in many diffent clubs. In the years sweden club teams won the Européen championship we had only 2-3 top teams in the league and the difference was very big between the top and the bottom. Nowdays its more fun, we have allmost eleven teams at the same level and the bottom team only a bit behinde...but its not good if we want to see realy strong sweden club teams.

The last final will be very hard to predict. But I see no reson to change my opinion, Zürich will take it. Zürich mistake in the last period was to pullback and only defend the lead.

IHF Member
    Lions absolutely dominated the first period by good skating and aggressive forechecking. They destroyed Metalurg's game in the first period and scored twice. The second goal was an absolute beauty.

After that it was to be expected for Swiss to try to lock the game and in the essence they were succeeding. Had Alston scored the game would have been over. Even without that score, Zürich needed less than a minute to actually win. Both Russian goals were of such nature that no tactics can prevent them.

So, I'd say that Swiss have a powerful weapon against Metalurg and that it's up to Belousov to come up with the tactics that can work rather than to rely to another long range missile from the blue to unlock the Lions' den.

IHF Prospect
    zsc is going to win how did blaine down play in yhe first game

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information