Thread: Eitan Werek

OHL Eitan Werek

He played in the OHL All-Star game this year- CONGRATULATIONS !!!!

The question is, if his OHL team does not make the playoffs, whether he will play for Israel at the World Div. II championship in April.

The team could certainly use him.

There's no chance of seeing Dan Erlich play for Israel, b/c the London Knights will be in the playoffs. Max Birbraer is likewise doubtful, as his team in Germany (Heilbronner Falken) is in the hunt for playoff position.

Oren Eizenman has not been playing, although he still shows as being on AHL San Antonio's roster. If he is healthy, perhaps he can get released to play for Israel.

Either or both of O. Eizenman and Werek would be a huge lift for the Israeli team.

There's no chance Kingston makes the playoffs. The only question is whether he'd play for Canada at the U18s. He's turned down Israel before because he wanted to keep his Canadian options open.

I know he's played for Israel's U-18 before....not sure if it was in IIHF competition or simply some exhibition games.

He will likely become the second Israeli citizen (following Max Birbraer, drafted by the New Jersey Devils 67th overall in 2000) to be drafted by an NHL team.

He's currently ranked 48th among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting.

Good luck to him in his quest to become the first Israeli citizen to play in the NHL (Birbraer had a few pre-season games with New jersey, but never played in the regular season or the playoffs).

If Israel's men's team could get Oren Eizenman, Max Birbraer, Ethan Werek and Dan Erlich all at once, they'd easily stay in IIHF Division II and challenge to get promoted to Division I.

I know he's played for Israel's U-18 before....not sure if it was in IIHF competition or simply some exhibition games.
    It was an exhibition game. He withdrew himself before the actual IIHF competition to keep his Canadian options open.

Per my understaing with Sergei Matin-Werek wants to play for CANADA, not ISRAEL

Although he is more Canadian than Israeli, Werek IS a dual Canadian-Israeli citizen.

And he is likely to follow Max Birbraer as the second Israeli citizen to be drafted by an NHL team.

His stock has risen over the course of the season.

TSN now projects him to be picked at the end of the first round, and had nice things to say about his game.

Good luck to him!

IHF Prospect
    I wouldn't get ahead of ourselves.

Aside from a brief stint in the north american tour three years ago, Werek has never actually participated in an official IIHF tournament with Israel ever. I can assure you that it is almost impossible that Werek will actually participate with Israel. He actually has an excellent chance to get drafted in the first three rounds this upcoming NHL draft and has a relatively good chance to play for team Canada in certain events and that for him is a priority. This is why he did not choose to play for Israel in Hungary three years ago.

No argument with anything you said. You're 100% on target.

The first thing I mentioned is that he is more Canadian than Israeli.

Regardless, he has played for the Israeli U-18 team, and he is a dual citizen.

Accordingly, when he gets drafted, he will become the second Israeli citizen drafted by an NHL club.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Still exciting for fans of Israeli hockey to see.

IHF Prospect
    Of course, it is very exciting for Israel as a whole.

Also, Erlich has a slight chance of getting drafted this year - most likely in the 7th or 8th round.

It will be interesting to see the roster assembled for the senior team in the tournament this summer.

Werek already has represented Canada now. He played in the U18s in North Dakota.

IIHF rules allow someone to switch countries as long as they have only played in IIHF U-18's and not an IIHF men's event.

If Canada did not take Werek in a men's event, he would still have the option to play for Israel.

Of course, the odds of that are exceptionally slim, as he has a very, very good chance of making the NHL at some point.

Regardless of whether he ever ends up playing for the Israeli nationals, this is a positive for Israeli hockey if the fact of his dual citizenship gets publicized in any manner.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Brunengraber View Post
    IIHF rules allow someone to switch countries as long as they have only played in IIHF U-18's and not an IIHF men's event.

If Canada did not take Werek in a men's event, he would still have the option to play for Israel.

Of course, the odds of that are exceptionally slim, as he has a very, very good chance of making the NHL at some point.

Regardless of whether he ever ends up playing for the Israeli nationals, this is a positive for Israeli hockey if the fact of his dual citizenship gets publicized in any manner.
    The IIHF allows someone to switch national teams, even after playing in a senior tournament:

To qualify for a national team under IIHF rules, a player must follow several criteria. He must be a citizen of the nation, and be under the jurisdiction of that national ice hockey association. Players are allowed to switch which national team they play for, providing they fulfill the IIHF criteria. If participating for the first time in an IIHF event, the player would have had to play two consecutive years in the national competition of the new country, without playing in another nation. If the player has already played for a national team before, he may switch nationality if he is a citizen of the new country, and has played for four consecutive years in the national competition of the new country. This switch may only happen once in the player's life.
    To sum it up, if Werek played for Canada, he would then have to go to Israel, spend 4 years playing in the Israeli league, have Israeli citizenship (which he does), and then he could play for Israel. Of course once he did that, he would only be able to play for Israel in any future tournaments.

You're not wrong. Neither am I in post #12.

Realistically, though, if Werek ever plays for Canada in a men's event, his chances of ever playing for Israel are zero.

Even if he never plays for Canada in a men's event, his odds of ever playing for Israel in anything other than an exhibition game or exhibition tournament is basically zero. Even future exhibition appearances are highly unlikely at this point.

Still, fans of Israeli hockey should be happy to see an Israeli citizen getting a real shot to play in the NHL.

IHF Member
    Werek should get picked up in the third round in Montreal this weekend.

Ethan Werek became the second Israeli citizen ever to be drafted by an NHL team today.

Werek, a dual Canadian-Israeli citizen (and admittedly much more Canadian than Israeli), was selected in the second round, 47th overall, by the New York Rangers!

He joins Max Birbraer (2000 3rd round, 67th overall, New Jersey Devils) as the only Israeli citizens ever to be drafted.

Mazel Tov to Ethan, and best of luck in his quest to reach the NHL with what happens to be my favorite team!

Again, while he is basically Canadian and has only appeared for Israel's U-18 in exhibitions, he IS still a dual Israeli citizen, and hopefully this will, in some small way, raise the profile of hockey in Israel.

The Israeli Ice Hockey Federation has had some shuffling to its Board of Directors, with a new chairman being appointed, and a couple of new board members.

One of the new board members is Ethan's dad Zeev Werek.

Interesting.

Maybe Ethan will suit up for Israel, at least in some exhibitions.

Who knows, maybe I'll get my fantasy pre-season matchup of a Team Israel with all of its best players at once against the NY Rangers. Heh.

On a serious note, I hope that Zeev and the new chairman will help improve both the men's and the U-18 Israeli national teams, and that maybe - just maybe - Ethan will suit up for Israel at some point.

On a serious note, I hope that Zeev and the new chairman will help improve both the men's and the U-18 Israeli national teams, and that maybe - just maybe - Ethan will suit up for Israel at some point.
    2 year rule?

The Israeli Ice Hockey Federation has had some shuffling to its Board of Directors, with a new chairman being appointed, and a couple of new board members.

One of the new board members is Ethan's dad Zeev Werek.

Interesting.

Maybe Ethan will suit up for Israel, at least in some exhibitions.

Who knows, maybe I'll get my fantasy pre-season matchup of a Team Israel with all of its best players at once against the NY Rangers. Heh.

Chairman in Israel or Canada, if there it sucks-'cause chairman is the one with all the money. Maislin and the last guy had money and puill..

It's like anything else, Steigs. Allowing him to play would probably cause hockey to be publicized more in Israel, especially if he makes the NHL. That in turn would spur growth in Israel. And growing the sport is the ultimate raison d'etre for the IIHF. As a result, the IIHF might choose to qualify him. I'm sure, based on past penalties, the Israelis would make sure the IIHF permitted it first.

And as I said, maybe he plays in some high profile exhibitions for the Israelis, which again could raise money and/or the sport's profile in Israel.

The new board is supposedly committed to improving the national teams and growing the sport in Israel.

David - Zeev Werek is not the new chairman; he's a new board member. I forget the new chairman's name. Whoever he is, he owns a Junior A team in Canada just like Ethan's dad does. There's an announcement about it over at the federation's site.

Ethan Werek was traded today by the NY Rangers to the Phoenix Coyotes for Swedish prospect and fellow 19 year old Oscar Lindberg.

Werek was never signed by the Rangers.

New York was very high on him when they drafted him, and he has been better than a point per game center in Major Junior in his career with the Kingston Frontenacs (including 52 points in 47 games this season). He has size (a bit over 6 feet, 200 lbs.), and is noted as an intelligent, two-way, physical player.

Cons? It is said he lets his temper get the best of him on the ice sometimes, and that he needs to mature a bit, and comes off as cocky. Perhaps that, along with a series of injuries that have beset him since he was drafted, caused the Rangers to give up on him.

I would have loved to have seen him as a Ranger, but I wish him luck with the Coyotes organization and hope that he makes the NHL!

Look forward to seeing him in a Winnipeg uniform next season.

it looks like they will be staying in phoenix, as of lately,

I hope they return to Winnipeg and the Jets live again.

Quote Originally Posted by Snype View Post
    it looks like they will be staying in phoenix, as of lately,
    Have to see how the vote goes tomorrow in Glendale.

Alright guys, let's stay on topic in this thread......we have several threads devoted to the Winnipeg-Phoenix situation.

IHF Member
    Every Easports NHL game I try to make a Jewish team and this year he cracked my roster :D Fourth liner because of Jewish pros of course, but he cracked it. Good for him! Being on my Jewish team is a high honour for Jewish hockey players worldwide :D They compete against the Italian-Canadian-American team, the African-Canadian-American-European team, and team Francophonie!

Quote Originally Posted by Neugs View Post
    Every Easports NHL game I try to make a Jewish team and this year he cracked my roster :D Fourth liner because of Jewish pros of course, but he cracked it. Good for him! Being on my Jewish team is a high honour for Jewish hockey players worldwide :D They compete against the Italian-Canadian-American team, the African-Canadian-American-European team, and team Francophonie!
    You could easily build an orange Team The Netherlands, too ;-)
    You can be sincere and still be stupid - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

IHF Member
    I'm intrigued who would I put on that team? And uhm yay werek :)

Thread Information