Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Road to 2009-2010 Champions Hockey League

IIHF Road to 2009-2010 Champions Hockey League

With the European League playoffs right around the corner, the race for domestic league titles and the CHL Spots is getting heated up. The Austrian League playoffs got underway last night and the rest of Europe is getting close to the playoffs getting started. Post all news, notes, thoughts and more on the road to the 2009-2010 CHL Campaign.

Here's the format for 2009-2010:

The League champions from leagues ranked 1-7 will clinch CHL Group Stage Spots.

The top playoff seeds from leagues 1-4 will clinch final round Qualfiying spots.

Top Playoff seeds from leagues 5-7 and the league champions from leagues ranked 8-22 will go to the 1st qualfiying round.

The 1st qualfiying round will contain 18 teams divided into 6 groups of 3 teams where the group winners will advance to the final qualfiying round.

The final Qualfiying round will have 10 teams divided into to 5 two legged series using the knockout format where the winners will advance to the group stage.

The Group Stage will have 12 teams divided into 4 groups of 3 where each team will play both oppenents twice (4 Games) where the group winners will advance to the semifinals. Teams from the same conuntry can't play each other

The Semifinals will be a 2 legged format where the winners will advance to the final. This is the only part of the Champions League where teams from the same country can play each other.

The Final will be a 2 legged format will be crowned the CHL Champions.

Post Teams when they clinch CHL Spots

Group Stage
    Q2
    Q1

Champions League Teams

Czech Republic (Czech Extraliga)
    Slavia Prague

Finland (SM-Liiga)
    JYP Jyvaskla

Germany (DEL)
    Eisbaren Berlin

Russia (KHL)
    Salavat Yulayev Ufa

Slovakia (Slovak Extraliga)
    HC Kosice

Switzerland (NLA)
    SC Bern

Sweden (Elitsern)
    FK Farjestad
    Last edited by tanman9; 03-03-2009 at 20:33.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

IHF Member
    Slavia Prague clinched the spot in the CHL by securing the first place in the regular season.

IHF Member
    Nice...

Considering Switzerland you will still have to wait some time... three teams - SC Bern, ZSC Lions and EHC Kloten are standing near each other... with best chances for SC Bern to get this spot... EHC Kloten has good chances and ZSC Lions are now in need of some luck.

The other question is how you will determine those famous top four leagues in europe... and the 5-7 leagues... IIHF had promised to adjust the ranking (which has never been equal to the national teams ranking). So far - and nobody could tell why - this league ranking doesn't really fit to the achievements of most of those leagues of the last few years (it does not even take into account the European Champions Cup results of 2005-2008, and obviously not even those of the first CHL - only Russia and Finland can be happy with this ranking).

And what about the 8-22 tanking? When will IIHF announce the final ranking?
    Nederlandse IJshockey Bond
    www.nijb.nl

Quote Originally Posted by tanman9 View Post
    Slavia Prague
    Slavia Prague is cleared for Q2 and not Q1...

Kosice, Salavat & Bern have clinched the #1 seeds in their respective leagues.

A critical game comming up tommorow in the DEL. The Hannover Scorpions and Eisbaren Berlin, the current 1 and 2 seeds in Germany will play each other in their final head to head matchup of the season. Hannover is currently up by 5 points in the standings. A Hannover win would make it very tough for Berlin to comeback, a Berlin win and it's going to be a race to the end.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

Any idea what's going in the Elitesern right now towards Champions League Qualification? Also as for the other national leagues, which leagues do you guys think have the best shot for their team to make the Champions League next season.

To Me, the EBEL, Al-Bank Ligaen and the Belarus Open League to me seem to have the best chances to have somebody make it to the Champions League next season.

Any idea what's going in the Elitesern right now towards Champions League Qualification? Also as for the other national leagues, which leagues do you guys think have the best shot for their team to make the Champions League next season.

To Me, the EBEL, Al-Bank Ligaen and the Belarus Open League to me seem to have the best chances to have somebody make it to the Champions League next season.
    I believe 22 countries will take part in CHL nexr season. I hope Netherlands is one of them.
    www.nijb.nl

IHF Member
    Looks quite like Färjestad BK will take the regular season this year (8 points ahead so far) in Elitserien (look at the spelling). On the other hand there are four other teams within these 8-10 points, including Frölunda HC, Lulea HF, HV71 and Linköpings HC (and we never know).

To be honest - if IIHF shows some logic thinking, they will not put the teams of Germany, Slovakia and Switzerland in the same Q1-group, and it is probable that exactly those teams will win their groups. In this case only two other leagues would move on to Q2 with a team... a hard life...

Färjestad is now 6pts ahead with two rounds to go. As they are also more than 20 goals ahead in goal difference, so they are all but cleared for at least Q2. Articles like this make me sad though. Färjestad's General Manager Thomas Rundqvist is surprised that winning the regular season does not automatically give a spot in CHL. They claim not to be aware of the rule change.

CHL clearly is still not in the minds of the club managers.

However, Färjestad is also one of the favourites to become champions, along with Frölunda and HV71. A couple of weeks ago I would have included Linköping in that list as well, but they have hit a real slump in their game now that the playoffs are coming and I think there is a good chance that they will not even make it to the semi-finals.

Färjestad is now certain to be the regular season winner in Elitserien and qualified for at least Q2 in CHL.

IHF Member
    I saw Färjestad for the first time some years ago at the Spengler Cup :) - I think it was the edition they won (but I'm not sure anymore - it's quite a period since then). Anyway, we know swedish icehockey is good - I hope they finally try to underline it in international competitions, too.

This is the final weekend of the season in the DEL, Basically a win for Eisbaren Berlin tonight against the Frankfurt Lions or on Sunday against the Straubing Tigers will clinch the top playoff seed and the CHL Qualfiying spot.

Sweden (Elitsern)
    FK Farjestad
    Elitserien and Färjestads BK to be more exact...

IHF Member
    :)

Well ä, ö, ü, ... difficult for most people... I'll have an eye on the DEL happenings of tonight then...

And 1-0 lead for the Eisbären against Frankfurt after one minute...
    Last edited by Jokerit; 27-02-2009 at 19:50. Reason: live result available

IHF Member
    O.K.
    The Eisbären Berlin are through - regular season winner 2009 in Germany.
    1-0 lead... then 1-3 behind... then 4-3 in the 17th minute of the third period... and the victory of Hannover doesn't change anything anymore.

So: EISBÄREN BERLIN ready for Q1 of the next CHL season!

In the SM-Liiga, JYP Jyvaskla have a 5 point lead over Kalpa Kuopio and Jorkeit Helsinki which are currently tied for 2nd in Finland with 2 games left to play for most of the teams in Finland. Basically a single victory will clinch them the final of the CHL Qualfiying spots for the top playoff seeds.

In addidition to the race in Finland, we are getting near the end of the Quarterfinals in the EBEL as Red Bull Salzburg became the 1st team to clinch a semifinal spot be deffating Acronia Jessince 4-1 in their series. The other 3 series are currently at 3-2 through 5 games

#1 KAC VS. #8 Innsbruck 3-2
    #2 Vienna Capitals VS. #7 Black Wings Graz 3-2
    #3 Red Bull Salzburg VS. #6 Acronia Jennsice 4-1
    #4 VSV VS. #5 Linz 2-3
    Last edited by tanman9; 28-02-2009 at 20:52.

IHF Member
    :)) Buddy...one question.. Where have you found "Acronia Jessince" name ? :)

In the SM-Liiga, JYP Jyvaskla have a 5 point lead over Kalpa Kuopio and Jorkeit Helsinki which are currently tied for 2nd in Finland with 2 games left to play for most of the teams in Finland. Basically a single victory will clinch them the final of the CHL Qualfiying spots for the top playoff seeds.
    KalPa won today. It's now:
    1. JYP 100pts
    2. KalPa 97pts
    3. Jokerit 96pts

2 games left

Jokerit lost to Blues today and are out of the regular season win race. The CHL spot will almost certainly go to either JYP or KalPa. They both have easy opponents in the last two games. HPK, Kärpät and Blues still have theoretical chances but they are very slim.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Austria EBEL Semifinals

3 of the 4 semifinal teams in the EBEL have been determined and the last of the quarterfinal games will be played tonight. KAC has taken down HC Innsbruck but not after a great fight from Innsbruck in 6 games but KAC is still looking for the EBEL Title, they will be taking on Black Wings Linz after they took down EC VSV in 6 games as the 5th seed team moves on. Red Bulls Salzburg had a relevatly easy time against Acroni Jesenice in 5 games and they will take on the winner of the final game of the quarterfinal series between the Vienna Capitals and Graz 99s. Their is no resedding for the semifinals in the EBEL. The Vienna Capitals win the series decider against Graz.

Here's the EBEL Semifinals.

#1 EC KAC VS. #5 Black Wings Linz
    #2 Vienna Capitals VS. #3 Red Bull Salzburg

The Dates for the Semifinals: 3/5, 3/8, 3/10, 3/12, 3/15, 3/17, 3/19
    Last edited by tanman9; 04-03-2009 at 18:53.

JYP trounced Ilves today 7-2 and clinched the regular season victory. The second spot which will be valuable if JYP wins the championship is still wide open. HPK (98), Blues (97), KalPa (97) and Jokerit (96) are in the race before the final round.
    "Only if we lose."

IHF Member
    Well then... first part of "road to chl 2009" is cleared.

If IIHF would publish "their" ranking (for top 7 or 22)... a closer look at those leagues would be interesting - as our buddy did for EBEL...

Looks quite like ZSC LIONS wouldn't compete in the next CHL... they are down 0-3 in the best-of-seven playoffs against Fribourg Gottéron now... but you never know.

Salavat lost their first round series to Avangard Omsk 3-1. They are the first guaranteed team in the Q2.
    "Only if we lose."

Half of the Semifinals in the Norway Get-Ligaen have now been determined. As the top seeded Sparta Sarpsborg finished off IK Lorenskog in 5 games while the #2 seed Valerernga Ishockey have finished off Frisk Asker also in 5 games. In the other 2 QFS that are still going, IK Lillehammer stayed alive with a 3-0 over Stjernen and the Stavanger Oliers deffatted the Storhamar Dragons in a high action 6-3 win. Both the lower seeds Stjernen and the Storhamar Dragons are currently up 3 games to 2 with game 6 comming up on Friday and game 7 if needed on Sunday.

In Netherlands the final will be Tilburg Trappers-HYS Den Haag or HYS Den Haag-Nijmegen Devils.

HYS Den Haag defeated Geleen Eaters 3-0. Tilburg Trappers-Nijmegen Devils is now 1-1.
    www.nijb.nl

Tilburg Trappers-HYS Den Haag is the final in the Netherlands.
    www.nijb.nl

IIHF writes here that Sheffield will play the CHL qualification. I have not however found a new league ranking that they said would be published in the beginning of February... EIHL was 21st in the league ranking last year.

Austria EBEL Championship Series

The EBEL Championship Series is closing in on who's going to play in the Championship. EC KAC sweeped the Linz Black Wings in 4 games stright and is in the championship series. As for their oppenents, Red Bull Salzburg are just one win away from beating the Vieanna Capitals and a shot at defending the EBEL Championship.

FC Barcelona and Cracovia Krakow are champion in their leagues, Spain and Poland.
    I'm pretty sure Cracovia will play CHL qualifications, not sure about Barcelona...

I don't think Spain is close to the top 22 right now. I'm glad to hear the crowd that got in the championship.

Quickly based off of last year's Top 22 here are the teams that should be in right now:

Austria – ???
    Belarus – Yunost Minsk
    Czech Republic – Slavia Prague, ???
    Denmark – ???
    England – Sheffield Steelers
    Finland – JYP Jyväskylä, ???
    France – Grenoble Bruleurs de Loups
    Germany – Eisbären Berlin, ???
    Hungary – Alba Volán Székesfehérvár
    Italy – Bolzano Foxes
    Kazakhstan – Barys Astana
    Latvia – Liepajas Metalurgs
    Netherlands – HYS Den Haag
    Norway – ???
    Poland – Cracovia Kraków
    Romania – SC Miercurea Ciuc
    Russia – Slavat Yulaev Ufa, ???
    Slovakia – HC Kosice, ???
    Slovenia – HK Acroni Jesenice
    Sweden – Färjestad Karlstad, ???
    Switzerland – SC Bern, ???
    Ukraine – Sokol Kiev
    Last edited by Geoff; 04-04-2009 at 00:16.

IHF Member
    Slovenia - HK Acroni Jesenice

You can count them already..

..and Sokil Kiev of Ukraine of course!

I'm pretty sure it will be Sokol but I don't want to list any team until it is official.

Were nearing whose going to be in the Get-Ligaen Championship. Sparta Sarpsborg finished a semifinal sweep of the Storhamar Dragons while Valerenga is just one win away to a championship spot as they up 3-1 in their series against Stjeren Hockey.

Be ready for Sparta Sarpsborg against Valerenga for the Championship in Norway. It's going to be a #1 VS. #2 Seed so it should be a great final.

IHF Prospect
    I have see that on the champion hockey league web site:

QUALIFICATION FORMAT

One (1) team each in Group Stage + one (1) in qualification tournament 2 for 2009-2010
    1 Russia
    2 Finland
    3 Czech Republic
    4 Sweden

One (1) team in Group Stage + one (1) team in qualification tournament 1 for 2009-2010
    5 Slovakia
    6 Switzerland
    7 Germany

Teams for qualification tournament 1 for 2009-2010
    8 Belarus
    9 Latvia
    10 Denmark
    11 Austria
    12 Kazakhstan
    13 Norway
    14 France
    15 Slovenia
    16 Italy
    17 Hungary
    18 Poland
    19 Netherlands
    20 Ukraine
    21 Great Britain
    22 Romania

The new CHL season starts with the Victoria Cup 2009 on the 28th and 29th of September!

(link here: http://www.championshockeyleague.com/index.php?id=265)

So actually in Q1:

5 Slovakia : HC Kosice or Slovan Bratislava (Semifinals in progress)
    6 Switzerland : SC BERN
    7 Germany : Eisbären Berlin or Hannover Scorpions (Quarterfinals in progress)

8 Belarus : Final > Yunost Minsk vs Gomel (1-1)
    9 Latvia : SK Liepājas Metalurgs
    10 Denmark : Final > Herning Blue Fox vs SønderjyskE (0-0)
    11 Austria : Final > KAC vs Red Bull Salzburg (1-2)
    12 Kazakhstan : Final tournament start the 26th March
    13 Norway : Final > Sparta Sarpsborg vs Valerenga (0-0)
    14 France : Grenoble Bruleurs de Loups
    15 Slovenia : HK Acroni Jesenice
    16 Italy : HC Bolzano
    17 Hungary : Alba Volán
    18 Poland : Cracovia Kraków
    19 Netherlands : HYS The Hague
    20 Ukraine : Sokil Kyiv
    21 Great Britain : Sheffield Steelers
    22 Romania : SC Miercurea Ciuc

So actually in Q2:

1 Russia : Salavat Yulayev Ufa
    2 Finland : JYP Jyväskylä or Espoo Blues (Quarterfinals in progress)
    3 Czech Republic : Slavia Prague or Moeller Pardubice (Semifinals in progress)
    4 Sweden : Färjestad Karlstad or Linköpings HC (Semifinals in progress)

So actually in Group Stage:

1 Russia : Final > Lokomotiv Yaroslavl vs. Ak Bars Kazan
    2 Finland : Quarterfinals in progress
    3 Czech Republic : Semifinals in progress
    4 Sweden : Semifinals in progress
    5 Slovakia : Semifinals in progress
    6 Switzerland : Semifinals in progress
    7 Germany : Quarterfinals in progress
    Last edited by belgarath; 29-03-2009 at 10:34.

HYS Den Haag is Netherland's champion. They will start in qualification round 1.
    www.nijb.nl

Hey belgarath, you can add the Championship Series for Norway as it gets underway this week between Sparta Sarpsborg and Valerenga which gets started on Thrusday.

I've updated the list above with the recent winners including Alba Volán.

Quote Originally Posted by belgarath View Post

QUALIFICATION FORMAT

One (1) team each in Group Stage + one (1) in qualification tournament 2 for 2009-2010
    1 Russia
    2 Finland
    3 Czech Republic
    4 Sweden

One (1) team in Group Stage + one (1) team in qualification tournament 1 for 2009-2010
    5 Slovakia
    6 Switzerland
    7 Germany

Teams for qualification tournament 1 for 2009-2010
    8 Belarus
    9 Latvia
    10 Denmark
    11 Austria
    12 Kazakhstan
    13 Norway
    14 France
    15 Slovenia
    16 Italy
    17 Hungary
    18 Poland
    19 Netherlands
    20 Ukraine
    21 Great Britain
    22 Romania
    Is this the final ranking for the upcoming season? It is the same list as last year ranking.
    www.nijb.nl

Ukrainian road to CHL'2009/10

Ukraine (Vyscha Liha)

Who qualifies for the 2009-10 Champions Hockey League:
    1. National champion as determined by playoffs.

Qualification to quarterfinals (best-of-three)
    First qualifying round
    Vorony Sumy vs. Donbas Donets'k 3-7, 2-9.
    Patriot Vinnytsya vs. Ekspres L'viv 8-13, 4-11.
    SDYuSShOR-Misto Kharkiv vs. Prydniprovs'k Dnipropetrovs'k 6-4, 1-5, 1-4.

Second qualifying round
    Ekspres L'viv vs. Donbas Donets'k 0-5, 0-5.
    Prydniprovs'k Dnipropetrovs'k vs. Vatra Ivano-Frankivs'k 3-2, 4-2.

Quarterfinals (best-of- three)
    Vatra Ivano-Frankivs'k vs. ATEK Kyiv* 1-6, 3-6.
    Prydniprovs'k Dnipropetrovs'k vs. Bilyy Bars Brovary 3-6, 3-17.
    Sokil Kyiv vs. Companion Kyiv 8-0, 10-4.
    Donbas Donets'k vs. HC Kharkiv 2-7, 3-6.

Semifinals (best-of- three)
    Sokil Kyiv vs. ATEK Kyiv 5-2, 7-1.
    HC Kharkiv vs. Bilyy Bars Brovary 5-2, 1-3, 0-2.

Third place (best-of- three)
    HC Kharkiv vs. ATEK Kyiv 4-1, 1-3, 1-2.

Final (best-of- three)
    Bilyy Bars Brovary vs. Sokil Kyiv 2-8, 1-6.

see details...

* Regular season winner: ATEK Kyiv
    Last edited by Serhiy; 27-03-2009 at 15:34.

After today's round the field of teams competing for Finland's second spot narrowed down to Kärpät, KalPa, Pelicans and Blues.
    "Only if we lose."

IHF Prospect
    Yes it's the final ranking for this season. This ranking is online on the CHL website:

http://www.championshockeyleague.com/index.php?id=265

Good night friends

IHF Member
    Jesenice won the Slovenian championship with the 4:0 sweep against its perennial rival Olimpija.

IHF Member
    I am interested if teams like Dinamo Riga, Dinamo Minsk & Barys Astana have the opportunity to play for national titles or represent their countries in CHL ?
    and if they dont have the chance what are the main reasons for that?

Quote Originally Posted by PopBrobert View Post
    I am interested if teams like Dinamo Riga, Dinamo Minsk & Barys Astana have the opportunity to play for national titles or represent their countries in CHL ?
    and if they dont have the chance what are the main reasons for that?
    Just a wild guess, but:

The idea behind it might be that even though Dinamo Riga, Dinamo Minsk & Barys Astana are probably the best teams inside their own countries, they gave up their chances to represent their countries in the CHL by joining a non-domestic league (the KHL).

Their only remaining chance of qualifying for the CHL would be finishing the regular season as the KHL's # 1, or winning the KHL Play-offs.

By not achieving either goal, they placed themselves out of contention.

ANyway, just my two cents...

Quote Originally Posted by Ro Herregraven View Post
    The idea behind it might be that even though Dinamo Riga, Dinamo Minsk & Barys Astana are probably the best teams inside their own countries, they gave up their chances to represent their countries in the CHL by joining a non-domestic league (the KHL).

Their only remaining chance of qualifying for the CHL would be finishing the regular season as the KHL's # 1, or winning the KHL Play-offs.
    I have read that the three non-Russian teams won't be getting a CHL spot through success in KHL. Barys Astana though participates in the Kazakhstan championship, so they're eligible via that route. I have heard that Riga is pumping good players in their farm team Riga 2000 to win the Latvian championship. Then Riga could participate as Riga 2000 in CHL. I don't know about Dynamo Minsk.

Maybe some of our Latvian, Belarussian and Kazakhstani members can shed more light to this.
    "Only if we lose."

Latvia

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    I have heard that Riga is pumping good players in their farm team Riga 2000 to win the Latvian championship. Then Riga could participate as Riga 2000 in CHL.
    I've read elsewhere that Riga 2000 indeed added 9 Dinamo-players to their rosters. That didn't save them from elimination in the semi's though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ro Herregraven View Post
    I've read elsewhere that Riga 2000 indeed added 9 Dinamo-players to their rosters. That didn't save them from elimination in the semi's though.
    Oh, OK. I haven't followed the Latvian playoffs. Then I guess Dynamoes Riga and Minsk are in the same boat. Currently I don't see a way they could participate in CHL next year.
    "Only if we lose."

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information