Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Australian Ice Hockey League - 2009

IHF Member

Round 11 - 1st to 2nd August 2009

Last edited by Bagratid; 08-08-2009 at 05:37.
    Melbourne Ice - Chicago Blackhawks - HK Gladiators Trnava - Dukla Trencin - ┌jpesti TE - Ak Bars Kazan

IHF Member
    Another article in The Roar, particularly relevant considering Melbourne Ice's up and coming trip over to Western Australia for two exhibition games.

Currently Newcastle and Melbourne have both clinched their places in the finals while Adelaide seems likely considering they have a number of games in hand. This leaves the Ice Dogs and Gold Coast to fight for the last spot, although Sydney has the gruelling Adelaide - Melbourne road trip to complete. It should be a great finish to the season.
    Melbourne Ice - Chicago Blackhawks - HK Gladiators Trnava - Dukla Trencin - ┌jpesti TE - Ak Bars Kazan

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nzice View Post
    Thanks for that - helps fill in the blanks. Do you know if its bought the two sides back to the discussion table for 2010 yet ?
    There have been no official applications for teams to join the AIHL in 2010 as yet.
    There are groups interested but there's a long way between interest and reality and committment.

IHF Member

01-08-2009 game Knighs vs Tongues

what happened with that game?? Is the score realy 0:5, or is this a forfeit? Can't find any info on the Knights page, nor the Tongues page....
    Cheers, Franco

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    what happened with that game?? Is the score realy 0:5, or is this a forfeit? Can't find any info on the Knights page, nor the Tongues page....
    A footnote to this game [Blue Tongues - Knights, 01-08-2009].

After much consideration this game has been forfeited by the AIHL as Canberra Knights played two suspended players in this game.
    The result is a 5-0 forfeit and the three points are awarded to the Blue Tongues.

Consideration was given for extenuating circumstances but ultimately all teams and players are expected to know and comply with the rules of the game of their own accord.

This also means there will be no personal points awarded for the game but Brad Smulders still seems to have his record at 70 points total.
    Its interesting to note that this means the Blue Tongues remain undefeated in regulation time up on the Gold Coast.

The two players in question from Canberra were Mark Rummukainen and Aaron Clayworth. They were suspended because they each received game misconducts in the last 10 minutes of the game on the 12th July. However, they ended up playing the following week against the Bears on the 19th July because the league had apparently not informed them of the suspension. I can only presume that the league moved their one game suspension to cover the Blue Tongues game instead.

However, I'd like to point out that I am very ill-informed about this whole thing so don't take my word for the gospel truth.

IHF Member

Round 12 - 8st to 9nd August 2009

Saturday

Newcastle Northstars - Adelaide Adrenaline 5-3

Canberra Knights - The Bears 6-4

Exhibition: WA Alstars - Melbourne Ice 4-5 OT

Sunday

The Bears - Adelaide Adrenaline 3-7

Exhibition: WA Alstars - Melbourne Ice 3-5

IHF Member
    Finals spots are locked up:

1. Newcastle
    2-3. Adelaide
    3-2. Melbourne
    4. Gold Coast

The finals are now 29th August 2009:
    Game 1 4pm will be Adrenaline Vs Ice
    Game 2 7.30pm will be Northstars vs Bluetounges

IHF Member
    The squad for the Winter Games being held before the AIHL Finals:

Team Australia

Gabriel Robledo (G) - Sydney Bears
    Matt Ezzy (G) - Newcastle Northstars
    Vlad Rubes - Sydney Bears
    Vlad Stransky - Sydney Bears
    Daniel Shaw - Sydney Bears
    Sean Oultram - Newcastle Northstars
    Rob Starke - Newcastle Northstars
    Adrian Saul - Newcastle Northstars (Import)
    Bob Lajuenesse - Newcastle Northstars
    Eric Lafreniere - Newcastle Nortstars (Import)
    Matt Price - Newcastle Northstars
    Casey Minson - Newcastle Northstars
    Steve Kay - Newcastle Northstars (Import)
    Ray Sheffield - Newcastle Northstars
    John Halverson - Newcastle Nortstars (Import)

Coach: Don Champagne
    Asst Coach: Steven Lindsay
    Manager: Marcus Chapman

IHF Prospect
    team australia.. lol yeah ok

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman66 View Post
    team australia.. lol yeah ok
    Well its not Team Canada if thats what you're wondering.

IHF Member
    Last night Team er ... Australia won the first of two games against New Zealand with a convincing score of 8-2. Goal scorers included honorary Australians Halverson (4), Saul (2) as well as Stransky (1) and Rubes (1).

Pictures and report courtesy of Peter Lambert.

New Zealand Dreams Dashed By Australia

Dunedin Ice Arena, Otago Region, New Zealand Winter Games

New Zealand's first ever Winter Games started with a bang at Dunedin's Ice Arena, when an early Ice Blacks lead had an enthusiastic crowd of some 2000 spectators on their feet in the first period.

New Zealand scored their first ever lead on Australia when Cory Dowd buried a power play rebound to go 2-1 on the combined Australian Ice Hockey League team.

A hat-trick by Newcastle's John Halverson and a remarkable game from Australian starting goalie Matt Ezzy kept the Kiwis at bay and changed the momentum.

Ezzy, who copped a battering by bodies and sticks in his crease, made several acrobatic saves on a hungry and organised Ice Blacks team, frustrating the Kiwis when it seemed they had all the momentum.

Penalty trouble gave the New Zealanders plenty of opportunities to register their first ever win versus Australia, but the Australian attack ran away with the game in the second period, scoring 5 unanswered goals on Kiwi goalies Zac Nothling and Rick Parry.

The Australian team suffered some hurts with two players having to leave the ice, and both teams took opportunities to play their second goaltenders. A major penalty to Josh Hay extinguished any hope of a New Zealand comeback, allowing the Australian team to score a power play goal and close out the game.

The two teams will rest two very different types of hurts before returning tomorrow night to a rematch going live before New Zealanders nation-wide at 5pm NZ time.
    Adrian Saul (import for Newcastle Northstars) sustained an injury behind the play and left the game early as did youngster Dan Shaw.
    Last edited by Bagratid; 24-08-2009 at 11:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagratid View Post
    Finals spots are locked up:

1. Newcastle
    2-3. Adelaide
    3-2. Melbourne
    4. Gold Coast

The finals are now 29th August 2009:
    Game 1 4pm will be Adrenaline Vs Ice
    Game 2 7.30pm will be Northstars vs Bluetounges
    Who do you like to win the AIHL Championship on August 29?
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

IHF Member
    Report from Peter Idoine and photos from that other Peter.

DUNEDIN, New Zealand (August 23, 2009) – There were scenes of euphoria tonight when the Ice Blacks made history at the 100% Pure New Zealand Winter Games with their first ever win against Australia beating them in the second test of the Trans Tasman Ice Hockey Series at the Dunedin Ice Stadium and then they went on to win the penalty shoot out to take out the series.

Following their 8-2 loss to Australia last night the Ice Blacks went onto the ice as the underdogs but from the outset struck with fire to score the first goal. Australia came back and led 2-1 at the end of the first period. In the second period Ice Blacks goalie, Zac Nothling, defended out of his skin and New Zealand scored two more goals to lead 3-2 going into the third period.

The 2,000 strong crowd were on their feet throughout the last period when New Zealand and Australia fought it out goal for goal and when the fulltime siren sounded at 5-4 to the Ice Blacks the stadium erupted in jubilation.

With the double header series at 1-1 a penalty shoot out required the Ice Blacks to refocus. Then came double elation for the Ice Blacks when both Chris Eaden and Brett Speirs slotted their goals and Ice Black super goalie Zac Nothling outplayed Australia’s two attacking penalty shooters. It was game and series to the Ice Blacks.

For Veteran Ice Blacks player and Captain, Cory Down, tonight was his last game for the national side and he said, for him, the win had been ten years in the making. “I’m ecstatic. It’s fantastic for New Zealand hockey to show that we can play at Divisional 2 Level. Tonight some of the young guys stepped up to the mark and showed their maturity. We played to our game plan and we pulled it off.”

Rob Starke the Australian Ice Hockey Captain gave full credit to the Ice Blacks saying tonight they deserved the win as they were the better team.

Goal scorers for New Zealand were Braden Lee, Stacey Rout, Adam Soffer, Chris Eaden and Paris Heyd.

Goal scorers for Australia were Eric LaFreniere, Rob Starke, Casey Minson and Ray Sheffield.

IHF Member

22nd - 23rd August 2009

Saturday

The Bears - Canberra Knights 6-4

Adelaide Adrenaline - Sydney Ice Dogs 1-3

Sunday

Melbourne Ice - Sydney Ice Dogs 4-1

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tanman9 View Post
    Who do you like to win the AIHL Championship on August 29?
    Its actually quite difficult to pick. Based on talent and potential Newcastle and Adelaide are the two best teams (although the loss of Don Grover has hurt). However, on recent form both Melbourne and Gold Coast have been red hot and Newcastle and Adelaide have hit a bit of a slump (and the Gold Coast always gives Newcastle a run for their money). However, given that the final is in Newcastle I think the Northstars should still be considered the favorites. The big issue for the Northstars at the moment is how Adrian Saul pulls up after the Winter Games.

All photos from NZ Vs Aust Tournament here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nzihf/c...7621991131081/

All photos uploaded at High Res

Awkward fall for Saul after being fouled off the puck,

He was dressed - minus helmet on Sun - but I dont think went on the Ice.

IHF Member
    No Adrian didn't take the ice on Sunday night, it was a big factor in the game on Sunday, but moreso losing two guys and then 3 when Vladan copped a puck in the face for 7 stitches. He has a real beauty of a shiner today!

Dan Shaw has a lesser tear of the MCL, another of Pete Idione's shots shows the hit where he sustained the injury.

It was a fantastic event and an honour to participate but ultimately it was probably a bad thing to go there. We knew we risked injury to our players on what effectively is two exhibition games, but it was dissapointing that the injury occurred away from the play and I suspect after the whistle.

In future AIHL teams may not release their players to go to the NZWG due to the risks.

The crowd and atmosphere were great and the setting was beautiful. It was a tough weekend thanks to AirNZ's flight cancellations/delays.

The New Zealand team was gracious enough and the locals were welcoming.
    I owe my being there to some local sponsors, my thanks to them.

Next time hopefully we can have either the actual ASMT or a wider mix of AIHL players but the window of the NZWG will always fall in the critical part of the AIHL season so if this continues it may take some consideration and planning.

IHF Member
    Slapshot Entertainment will again be providing free, live, online coverage of the AIHL finals. Details can be found at http://www.slapshot.com.au/. The first game will be the Melbourne Ice - Adelaide Adrenaline semi-final at 4pm (07.00 GMT).

IHF Member

Australia VIP 2009 AIHL Finals

Semi Finals:

Semi 1 - Melbourne Ice vs Adelaide Adrenaline

1st Period: Adrenaline 2 Ice 0
    2nd Period: Adrenaline 5 Ice 1
    Final Score: Adrenaline 6 Ice 1

Boxscore Semi 1

Semi 2 - Newcastle North Stars vs Gold Coast Blue Tongues

1st Period: North Stars 2 Blue Tongues 2
    2nd Period: North Stars 3 Blue Tongues 3
    Final Score: North Stars 5 Blue Tongues 3

Boxscore Semi 2
    Final is today at 4pm AEST, or 6.00am UST, 11.00pm PST in North America.

Last edited by oznthstar; 30-08-2009 at 03:27. Reason: Added Stats Links

IHF Member

Australia VIP 2009 AIHL Finals

Grand Final:

Grand Final - Newcastle Northstars vs Adelaide Adrenaline

1st Period: Northstars 1 Adrenaline 2
    2nd Period: Northstars 2 Adrenaline 2
    3rd Period: Northstars 2 Adrenaline 2
    Final Score: Northstars 2 Adrenaline 3

Boxscore Grand Final

Adelaide Adrenaline are the 2009 Australian champions!

Well played good sir

Congrats to the Adrenaline! Sounds like it was a pretty good season.

I gotta wonder... will fans in Adelaide want to fold the Adrenaline and form another club for next year? Two out of three championships to that city have come in their clubs' inaugural years (2000 and now 2009)
    Last edited by Steigs; 30-08-2009 at 17:34.

Congrats to the Adelaide Adrenaline on their championship and the teams sucess in their short history.

BTW Bagratid: Could you find anything on stuff like the Championship or season MVP for the AIHL This season?
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

IHF Member

Australia

Season MVP was Brad Smulders, who's point-scoring record will be hard to beat in future seasons.

Finals MVP was Cass Delsar. Congrats to Cass but for me by a long way it should have been Mike Werner of the Adrenaline, who seemed to be all over the ice at once.

IHF Prospect
    Perhaps I can help out a bit there.
    The MVP for the 2009 AIHL Season went to Brad Smulders(Bluetongues scoring machine)

MVP for the 2009 Finals series went to Cass Delsar(who scored the OT winner for Adelaide)

^^^ I also agree with oznthstar there - Mike Werner had an amazing series. I also thought that Greg Oddy, played very well, despite talk early this season that he wouldn't be playing at all.

IHF Member
    I looked at the highlight footage that went to local station here in Newcastle and it pretty much confirms that the point shooter put it in (Luke Thilthorpe) off defender Rob Starke's skate and not Cass Delsar.
    Assuming that he was awarded the MVP for scoring the winner, that becomes pretty ironic!

IHF Prospect
    My initial thoughts was that it was scored by either Thilthorpe, or Delsar. Thilthorpe celebrated harder, but Delsar was closer in to the net. From where I was, with what I was shooting at the time, I was really not sure who scored.
    Right or wrong, the record shows that it was credited to Delsar though.

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nzice View Post
    Thanks for that - helps fill in the blanks. Do you know if its bought the two sides back to the discussion table for 2010 yet ?
    Rhinos didn't apply or even the contact the league about returning in 2010.

I don't know if the AIIHC will run again in 2010 but there's currently a court battle in the ACCC about non-sanctioned leagues which may be part of any concerns.

I'm also worried about the future of those two rinks, Baulkham Hills seems especially vulnerable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information