Ok, so now you have all of these players evaluated on their skills. Now, you want to place players on team to develop your league.

Now, if you just place all of the best kids on one team and let the other teams be weak, I promises you will hear about this from parents. And if you think you are going to load up your team so your son can play with all the best kids, you will also hear about this from parents. So don't do it!

So how do you build a league that attracks a lot of kids. Ok, here comes 40 years of experience...for free!

What I am about to tell you works at every age level, not just at midgets. But it works at the midget level the best.

The first thing you do is, during the evaluation process, you make sure that every kids registers with your program before they step on the ice. To do this, you will need a registartion form with all of the important stuff on...Name, Address, Phone, High School, email address, emergency contact number....etc.

Now, the most important thing out of all that stuff is...High school. Then, you start placing kids that go to the same high school, on the same team. It does't matter if the team is good or not. The whole purpose is to start the league. Kids will get better as you go on...trust me, I know!

So let say you have 3 kids that go to the same school. Perfect, you place those three kids on this team and then fill up the team with one or two kids from a different school. Now, there are going to be some parents that will be ticked off because their child players for a different school.

So you tell this parent that if his child goes to school and get's three kids to join the developmental program, now, then in the fall or next program, those kids in the developmental program will roll over into the new league and they can have their own team.

So now you have taken all of the kids and you are starting to place them on team where players all go to the same school. Now, after you have placed those kids on their teams, you will need to determine the strength of each team. Remember, you will be placing kids on team that will not or will be good to compete. Remember, the key is placing kids on the same team that all go to the same school.

To determine the strength of each team, you will take the evaluation score of each kid and add the total. Example....

Tommy Smith: 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5 = 90 Total Points
Johnny McCain: 4,4,3,4,2,3,5,4,4,3,3,3,4,2,3,3,4,2= 60 Total Points
Jose Garcia: 5,4,4,3,3,4,4,3,4,5,5,4,4,5,5,3,3,5 = 73 Total Points

Now, if you take these three players and you have placed them all on the same team...because they go to the same school. The school team strength is 223 (90+60+73)

As you place players on each team, you want to keep track of the total score strength, so as you place kids on teams that don't go to the same school, you will be able to equal out the strength of each team by playng players with scores to round off team strength.

You might have to move players around teams to equal out the strength as long as you don't break up the nucleus or the main part of the team.

Ok, so now you have placed all the players on teams. Now what? Now it comes down to coaching. Now the coach of each team, works out how he wants to set players on each line.

This is know as...Line strength.

As more kids want to play for their school, you will have to go to an individual school selection process where you take only the kids from school and go thriugh the same process as above. Then you will place them in a Varsity and Junior Varsity squard or teams.

Now depending on the strength of each team, you might have to move the JV team into a level division level. But this will depend on how many teams you will have to start out with. Trust me when I tell you, within two to three years, you will have so many teams, you will have to build a new sheet of ice to accomodate them.

Hope this helps.
Head coach