Berne & Zürich-Kloten (Switzerland), 24 April - 10 May 2009

]STANDINGS Group C
     GPWOTWOTLLGF:GAPts
    1. SWEDEN000000:00
    2. UNITED STATES000000:00
    3. LATVIA000000:00
    4. AUSTRIA000000:00

SCHEDULE

Venues: Post-Finance Arena (Berne) & Schluefweg (Zürich-Kloten)

25.04.2009, 20:15, Sweden - Austria (Berne)
    27.04.2009, 16:15, United States - Austria (Berne)
    29.04.2009, 16:15, Austria - Latvia (Berne)
    10.05.2009, 20:15, GOLD MEDAL GAME

General Tournament Thread (click here)

PRE-TOURNAMENT NEWS regarding each participant (click on links below).
    TEAM AUSTRIA http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8046
    TEAM BELARUS http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8047
    TEAM CANADA http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8048
    TEAM CZECH REPUBLIC http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8049
    TEAM DENMARK http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8050
    TEAM FINLAND http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8051
    TEAM FRANCE http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8052
    TEAM GERMANY http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8053
    TEAM HUNGARY http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8054
    TEAM LATVIA http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8055
    TEAM NORWAY http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8056
    TEAM RUSSIA http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8057
    TEAM SLOVAKIA http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8058
    TEAM SWEDEN http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8059
    TEAM SWITZERLAND http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8060
    TEAM UNITED STATES http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8061
    Last edited by Jazz; 22-04-2009 at 04:35.

IHF Staff
    The roster for the first two preparation games for IHWC 09 (vs. Russia @Innsbruck on 8th and 10th of April) has been announced:

Tor
    STARKBAUM Bernhard - EC VSV (AUT)
    WIESER Marco - EC VSV (AUT)

Abwehr
    ALTMANN Mario - EV Vienna Capitals (AUT)
    BACHER Stefan - EC VSV (AUT)
    LAKOS Andre - Traktor Chelyabinsk (RUS)
    LAKOS Philippe - HC TWK Innsbruck "Die Haie" (AUT)
    LUKAS Robert - EHC LIWEST Linz (AUT)
    ORAZE Martin - EC VSV (AUT)
    UNTERLUGGAUER Gerhard - HC TWK Innsbruck "Die Haie" (AUT)
    WERENKA Darcy - EV Vienna Capitals (AUT)

Angriff
    IBOUNIG Christoph - EHC LIWEST Linz (AUT)
    KALT Dieter - Lulea HF (SWE)
    KASPITZ Roland - EC VSV (AUT)
    KRISTLER Andreas - EC VSV (AUT)
    OBERKOFLER Daniel - EHC LIWEST Linz (AUT)
    OFNER Harald - HC TWK Innsbruck "Die Haie" (AUT)
    PEINTNER Markus - EC VSV (AUT)
    PETRIK Benjamin - EC VSV (AUT)
    PETRIK Nicolas - EC VSV (AUT)
    RAFFL Michael - EC VSV (AUT)
    SCHIECHL Michael - Eishockeyclub Graz 99ers (AUT)
    SETZINGER Oliver - SC Langnau Tigers (SUI)
    TOFF Nico - EC VSV (AUT)

There are no players from Klagenfurt and Salzburg who will join in only after these games. The selection features no less than 7 debutants and only very few regulars we can expect to play in Switzerland (at least I hope so). The disturbing part about this is that some proven EBEL regulars with international experince have again not been considered while some youngsters seem to be on this team just because they are young and from the right club. Of the debutants the biggest part is from Villach and guess who is rumoured to take over in Villach as coach....national team coach Lars Bergström.

To give you an idea how plausible these selections are from a purely athletic point of view consider that Benjamin Petrik will play for Innsbruck (retreated to second league) next season - probably because of his great performance this season and MArco Wieser was nothing less than VSV's third netminder. But at least the starting goalie will be a proven player: Bernhard Starkbaum VSV's back up who made impressive 18 games this season.

Irrespective of who will still join in I am getting more and more dissatiafied with Bergstöm's way. He's hockey expertise is beyon doubt but his player selections in too many cases are just something between bizar and pretty much openly driven by special interest policy.

This team for the games against Russia is a slap in the face for hockey fans who expect to see a regular Austrian national team facing off against the reigning world champions and not a Villach emphasized C squad.

Quote Originally Posted by RexKramer View Post
    There are no players from Klagenfurt and Salzburg who will join in only after these games. The selection features no less than 7 debutants and only very few regulars we can expect to play in Switzerland (at least I hope so). The disturbing part about this is that some proven EBEL regulars with international experince have again not been considered while some youngsters seem to be on this team just because they are young and from the right club. Of the debutants the biggest part is from Villach and guess who is rumoured to take over in Villach as coach....national team coach Lars Bergström.

To give you an idea how plausible these selections are from a purely athletic point of view consider that Benjamin Petrik will play for Innsbruck (retreated to second league) next season - probably because of his great performance this season and MArco Wieser was nothing less than VSV's third netminder. But at least the starting goalie will be a proven player: Bernhard Starkbaum VSV's back up who made impressive 18 games this season.

Irrespective of who will still join in I am getting more and more dissatiafied with Bergstöm's way. He's hockey expertise is beyon doubt but his player selections in too many cases are just something between bizar and pretty much openly driven by special interest policy.

This team for the games against Russia is a slap in the face for hockey fans who expect to see a regular Austrian national team facing off against the reigning world champions and not a Villach emphasized C squad.
    I really cant belive that something like this are happening in serious (at least from Croatian point of view) hockey country
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

You don't really need me for the game result. There will be online scoring at the AUT federation page:

http://www.eishockey.at/Main.html

Just click Nationalteam live on the right hand side oc the screen from about 40' prior to the first face-off on.

About the AUT-RUS games:

Coach Bergsström has chosen to ice a team with no less than 7 debutants most of them players from Villach where he is in discussion about becoming coach. Among these players there are no less prominent than the 3rd VSV netminder (who will back up) and another young guy who played so well this year that he got himself a contract with Innsbruck for the second league next year.
    Some usual suspects of players who should be in (at least according to a vast majority of fans) are again left out while others who should not be in (again, fan's voice) have their jersey secured as always.
    Apart from this no players from Klagenfurt and Salzburg are on the team by now and unfortunately a bunch of regulars are injured and will not be available for IHWC. This has lead to the situation of a lack of centermen - a position Austria is relatively good endowed with normally. Put together, I think the Russians will slaughter our team. Coach Bergström has promised that the young players he called up will run, thus somehow revealing that he himself doesn't really believe how they are able to play is even remotely enough...

I think it is no good to waste a game against the ruling world champions like this.
    Will Vanek join team Austria , as Buffalo is probably out of playoff race ?

IHF Staff
    Yes, according to what I have read Vanek and also Islanders defenseman Thomas Pöck will join in. Michael Grabner and Andreas Nödl are definitely out (play-off with Manitoba resp Philadelphia).

Vanek and Pock on the roster will pretty much ensure that the Austrians will not be relegated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiraly View Post
    Vanek and Pock on the roster will pretty much ensure that the Austrians will not be relegated.
    Yes, i totally agree on that point. Vanek and Pock are really good players and especially vanek should help the austrian team very much.
    But lativia is no bad team too. Will be a close game between latvia and austria at the IHWC i presume.

By the way Austria - Russia 1:3 after 2 periods
    Last edited by Cabal; 12-04-2009 at 23:17.

Rex - good luck to your squad in Switzerland, except when they play the USA. :-)

if Austria will play good defensively and with Vanek up to front they should beat Latvia and even surprise team USA.
    very important will be a goaltending, i am not familiar with current austrian goalkeepers are they any good?
    Ice Hockey is life and nothing else matters.

IHF Staff
    @ Marc, thanx...I'm just in Thailand preparing myself to endure the mental stress of IHWC ;-) relegation games require loads of psychic stability...enjoy the games yourself

@ Hossa18

Austria playing well defensively is a true longshot. Defensive play is rather the weak side of the team and the strange selections the coach makes don't help eithe as well as the fairly large number of unavailable players.
    #1 goaltender will most likely be Bernd Brückler (Espoo Blues) who was among the best SM Liiga goalies in the last seasons. At the end of this season he was however relegated to be backup and will leave Espoo so he comes with not too many games played recently. Apart from this he has seldom played up to expectations in the NT. But basically he is a classy goalie that stands above what other teams on our level typically have between the pipes.

can somebody post how the roster looks like now and what are the still possible additions?

Help from austrian fans

Please if anyone has Recorded the Exhibition game from last friday April 10th
    Austrai vs Russia plaese Email me.

I Collect Internatianl games on Video, But it is not just a collection it is a passion.

Here in the USA there is little to no coverage of any kind of international hockey.
    I prefer the International game and find it far more entertaining then borning NHL crap.

anyway way i have a large collection of games on DVD i can offer for exchange. so PLEASE if anyone has or can get me a copy of this game Austrai vs Russia PLEASE contact me.

Thank you.

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by RedAce View Post
    Please if anyone has Recorded the Exhibition game from last friday April 10th
    Austrai vs Russia plaese Email me.

I Collect Internatianl games on Video, But it is not just a collection it is a passion.

Here in the USA there is little to no coverage of any kind of international hockey.
    I prefer the International game and find it far more entertaining then borning NHL crap.

anyway way i have a large collection of games on DVD i can offer for exchange. so PLEASE if anyone has or can get me a copy of this game Austrai vs Russia PLEASE contact me.

Thank you.

Daniel
    I am big fan of international hockey and hockey at all, but still, calling NHL crap....ouch

IHF Staff
    As it is now I think the set of players in question for team AUT can be narrowed down to this:

Net:

BRÜCKLER Bernd (Espoo Blues, FIN)
    PENKER Jürgen (Rögle BK, SWE)
    STARKBAUM Bernhard - EC VSV (AUT)

No more planned changes to happen with the goalies.

Defense:

Available and selected:
    UNTERLUGGAUER Gerhard - HC TWK Innsbruck "Die Haie" (AUT)
    WERENKA Darcy - EV Vienna Capitals (AUT)
    REBEK Jeremy (Red Bulls Salzburg)
    LAKOS Andre - Traktor Chelyabinsk (RUS)
    LUKAS Robert - EHC LIWEST Linz (AUT)
    LAKOS Philippe - HC TWK Innsbruck "Die Haie" (AUT)

Plus two of the following three:
    ORAZE Martin - EC VSV (AUT)
    ALTMANN Mario - EV Vienna Capitals (AUT)
    BACHER Stefan - EC VSV (AUT)

Forwards:

available and surely selected:
    VANEK Thomas (Buffalo Sabres, NHL)
    KOCH Thomas (Red Bulls Salzburg)
    SETZINGER Oliver - SC Langnau Tigers (SUI)
    KASPITZ Roland - EC VSV (AUT)
    TRATTNIG Matthias (Red Bulls Salzburg)
    SCHULLER David (KAC)

surely selected but probably not available:
    not yet cleared by Buffalo due to not completely healed broken jaw
    KALT Dieter (Lulea, SWE) recovering from concussion

further candidates (roughly in order of probability of being called):
    HARAND CHristoph (KAC)
    PEINTNER Markus - EC VSV (AUT)
    RAFFL Michael - EC VSV (AUT)
    SCHELLANDER Paul (KAC)
    KRISTLER Andreas - EC VSV (AUT)
    IOUNIG Christoph - EHC LIWEST Linz (AUT)
    OBERKOFLER Daniel - EHC LIWEST Linz (AUT)
    OFNER Harald - HC TWK Innsbruck "Die Haie" (AUT)
    PETRIK Nicolas - EC VSV (AUT)
    TOFF Nico - EC VSV (AUT)

Absentees:

PÖCK Thomas (NY Islanders, NHL)
    Andreas Nödl (W, Philadelphia Flyers/Phantoms)
    Michael Grabner (W, Manitoba Moose)
    Mickey Elick (D, Villach)
    Philipp Lukas (C, Linz)
    Daniel Welser (W, Salzburg)
    Thomas Raffl (W, Villach)
    Marco Pewal (C, Salzburg)
    Rafael Rotter (C, Vienna)
    Gregor Hager (W, KAC)
    Patrick Harand (W/D, Salzburg)

Not considered (wrongly imho):

Florian Iberer (D, Linz)
    Herbert Ratz (D, Klagenfurt)
    Sean Selmser (C, Vienna)
    Marc Tropper (W, Vienna)
    Raimund Divis (C, Vienna)
    Matthias Iberer (W, Linz)
    Manuel Latusa (W, Salzburg)
    Martin Ulmer (Salzburg)
    Mark Szücs (W, Linz)

Apart from the question of the missing forwards the team is as good as set. Given the list of missing players I'm safe to say that the outfit we'll see in Switzerland is quite far from what we could have. Basically the squad will be pretty much like the one for the OG qualifier in February. Net and defense are the same on offense there's Vanek instead of Grabner and Phillip Lukas the #2 centerman missing.
    Given that such a team gave the highe rated Germans a true run for their money I'd stilsay that Austria is still (as always) a candidate for relegation but there's other teams that should be even more afraid of that fate.
    Last edited by RexKramer; 17-04-2009 at 06:51.

Fingers cross, hope that Kalt and Vanek will be cleared to play.
    Ice Hockey is life and nothing else matters.

Update:
    Vanek will play but Thomas Pöck will be missed (abdominal strain)

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni View Post
    Update:
    Vanek will play but Thomas Pöck will be missed (abdominal strain)
    Just read it....not too good. Our defense could have needed him dearly, no doubt. With all these injuries and absences it seems as there is some kind of curse on the team.

Just read it....not too good. Our defense could have needed him dearly, no doubt. With all these injuries and absences it seems as there is some kind of curse on the team.
    Of course your team (especially defense of your team) will miss Thomas Pöck, but Vanek should improve your offense very much! Probably the best austrian player (at the moment) joined your team for the IHWC, that are good news for austria.

I think Austria has good chances to win against latvia at least.

Good to hear that Vanek is playing.

Any idea about who is covering the insurance costs for his contract in case of long-term injury?

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    Good to hear that Vanek is playing.

Any idea about who is covering the insurance costs for his contract in case of long-term injury?
    I guess the federation. I have no specific info on this but for all I know I think the insurance issue was solved quite some time ago, in fact long before he was really released. Apparently there was caution on the side of the Sabres because his jaw would only completely heal after a summer without any hockey according to the doctors. But Vanek wanted to play, in fact he has always played for the NT whenever he was not in the play-offs.

Pöck's defection however is a little bit strange. Officially he has a strained abdominal muscle but afaik he played until the very end of the Islanders' last game. I guess that NYI are not keen on letting their players go and a marginal player like Pöck abides not to jeopardize his spot with the team. Pöck is an UFA so I guess if he wanted he could play.

IHF Staff

Roster for 2nd phase of preparation

No. Family Name Name Pos Height Weight Date of Birth Shoots Club

Net:
    31 BRÜCKLER Bernd GK 186 86 26.09.1981 L Espoo Blues (FIN)
    38 PENKER Jürgen GK 185 90 17.10.1982 L Rögle BK (SWE)
    23 STARKBAUM Bernhard GK 186 89 19.02.1986 L EC VSV (AUT)

Defense:
    41 ALTMANN Mario D 193 94 04.11.1986 L EV Vienna Capitals (AUT)
    32 LAKOS Andre D 203 103 29.07.1979 R Traktor Chelyabinsk (RUS)
    11 LAKOS Philippe D 192 100 19.08.1980 R HC TWK Innsbruck "Die Haie" (AUT)
    55 LUKAS Robert D 177 84 29.08.1978 L EHC LIWEST Linz (AUT)
    39 ORAZE Martin D 191 82 09.10.1984 L EC VSV (AUT)
    27 REBEK Jeremy D 179 88 08.02.1976 R EC Red Bull Salzburg
    4 UNTERLUGGAUER Gerhard D 177 88 15.08.1976 L HC TWK Innsbruck "Die Haie" (AUT)
    24 WERENKA Darcy D 189 93 13.05.1973 R EV Vienna Capitals (AUT)

Forwards:
    67 BAUMGARTNER Gregor F 185 90 13.07.1979 L EHC LIWEST Linz (AUT)
    61 HARAND Christoph F 180 80 27.05.1981 L EC KAC (AUT)
    28 IBOUNIG Christoph F 180 85 23.01.1985 L EHC LIWEST Linz (AUT)
    8 KASPITZ Roland F 170 82 01.11.1981 L EC VSV (AUT)
    18 KOCH Thomas F 173 77 17.08.1983 L EC Red Bull Salzburg
    9 KRISTLER Andreas F 170 75 30.08.1990 L EC VSV (AUT)
    10 OBERKOFLER Daniel F 183 74 16.07.1988 L EHC LIWEST Linz (AUT)
    47 OFNER Harald F 180 78 21.01.1983 L HC TWK Innsbruck "Die Haie" (AUT)
    12 RAFFL Michael F 185 87 01.12.1988 L EC VSV (AUT)
    45 SCHULLER David F 182 91 06.09.1980 L EC KAC (AUT)
    15 SCHELLANDER Paul F 186 75 05.11.1986 R EC KAC (AUT)
    91 SETZINGER Oliver F 183 89 11.07.1983 L SC Langnau Tigers (SUI)
    21 TRATTNIG Matthias F 185 95 22.04.1979 L EC Red Bull Salzburg
    PEINTNER Markus

debutants bold

Dieter Kalt out as it seems but Lars Bergström jumped over his shadow (if that saying is used in English too) and nominated Gregor Baumgartner. Baumgartner a former AHL All star had a very good season for Linz this year but was nevertehless not considered for the NT games (just as last year). For no less than 7 of the forwards it'd be their IHWC debut the two oldest forwards are just 30...Among the defensemen there are 3 debutants.
    1 or 2 forwards and defensemen will be cut (depnds on wether Bergström will go with a (7,13) or a (8,12) setup) which means we'll surely see Team AUT with at least 8 players without any IHWC experience and at least 7 without any senior world championship experience at all (defenseman Martin Oraze played the div. I tourney last year).
    I guess staying up's gonna be a tough task with a team like this.
    Last edited by RexKramer; 17-04-2009 at 14:58.

IHF Staff
    Update:

Markus Peintner is missing on the roster due to the flue and might be included again if he recovers in time. Apparently also Thomas Pöck (or the Islanders?) might change his mind. Whether he shall participate or not will be definitely decided today.

Apart form this I get more and more estranged by a number of nominations. Somehow the situation is like with a number of the first best picks being unavailable Bergström leaves the next best aside and directly proceeds to what is the third choice of players for a vast majority of observers. Otherwise the selection of the whole bunch of Altmann, Ofner, Ibounig, Petrik, Oberkofler, Bacher, Kristler, Raffl can't be explained with their qualities on the ice. If the one or the other of them was selected I had no problem but basically there is a better/more expereinced alterntive for each of them.

IHF Member
    Good luck to you Austrians. Hope you pull off a surprise this year, like Norway did last year in Canada.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by GorazdR View Post
    Good luck to you Austrians. Hope you pull off a surprise this year, like Norway did last year in Canada.
    Thx ;-)
    That'd be more than a surprise however - at the moment the more plausible surprise would be to stay up. I have always hoped to have all three EBEL countries in the elite but I really doubt its gonna happen. And Austria is not a small part of this doubt
    But maybe we can break the world record of times being relegated from the A pool...if it's not ours already.

IHF Staff
    MArkus Bacher (D) and Niki Petrik (F) both from Villach have been cut from the roster before the trip to GRenoble with the test games vs. France and Norway. Markus Peintner is back with the squad. Post #21 updated.

IHF Staff
    Thomas Pöck is now confirmed to be out for IHWC.

IHF Staff
    After the shut out loss to Norway yesterday team manager Giuseppe Mion said that still a lot of work lies ahead of the team as the offensive play was too uncreative and lacked punch.

Problem is that there is not much time left...today's game against France will be quite important, the French are a likely opponent for the relegation round and if the Austrians should also lose this last game the team's morale is to be found in the basement I guess.

Among the fans here there's hope that Andreas Nödl is swept in the AHL play-offs with Philadelphia and that Bergström leaves a spot open for him so that he could join in later in the tournament. Not gonna happen I guess.
    What is worrying me (among other things like the pure lack of quality players) is that many of the players (especially among the debutants) are pretty much lightweights - so physical presence will not be an asset. From an Austrian perspective one can only hope that Vanek produces...

IHF Staff
    After the victory over France yesterday the team will move to Berne tomorrow where Thomas Vanek will join.
    Apparently the team management will register only 19 skaters at first as it is hoped that Andreas Nödl will be available for the third and crucial preliminary round game against Latvia.

After the victory over France yesterday the team will move to Berne tomorrow where Thomas Vanek will join.
    Apparently the team management will register only 19 skaters at first as it is hoped that Andreas Nödl will be available for the third and crucial preliminary round game against Latvia.
    Hey Rex, with the injury problems that FRA is dealing with right now, how much does the victory possibly get down played some what. Also, what unkonwn guys need to possibly step up to have a sucessful tournament for AUT.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by tanman9 View Post
    Hey Rex, with the injury problems that FRA is dealing with right now, how much does the victory possibly get down played some what. Also, what unkonwn guys need to possibly step up to have a sucessful tournament for AUT.
    It doesn't get downplayed a lot because Austria is (at least that's my opinion) not expecting an awful lot of wins in this tournament other then two or probably three in the relegation round anyway. There most likely the opponents are France, Hungary and Denmark. If AUT beats the same French team again as good as 50% of what's necessary is achieved. Hungary despite the good preparation results is imho the weakest team in the field and Denmark deprived of a good deal of their top players is nothing to be extremely afraid of too.

The injured French players are of course a pity for France but given what Austria lacks in regular and impact players one can consider the other teams problems in this domain as a materialization of cosmic fairness ;-).

In order to remain up a major point is of coursegoaltending - although definitely not an unknown Brückler (I guess he's gonna be #1 in the crucial games) has to play better than he did before in the NT.

I don't know how the team will finally look like but I guess that Michael Raffl, Harald Ofner and Paul Schellander will be the newbies that make the cut. Raffl is the only of those I consider as a real grinder, Ofner is a speedy and agile skater but has imho no vision for the game. Paul Schellander is a lean young player with a lot of cleverness in his game. He's always good to steal the puck of a sloppy opponent with quick attacks and was praised a lot by French reports on the two games Austria played in Grenoble.

Austria's line up yesterday was

Kristler-Koch-Trattnig
    Raffl-Schuller-Setzinger
    Baumgartner-Kaspitz-Harand
    Ofner-Schellander-Peintner

Vanek will be teamed up with Koch and Trattnig and Kristler (19yrs) will be cut I guess together with Oberkofler who did apparently not play yesterday.

With this or a similar setup we have one clear scoring line which needs to produce. The second line should it be like this is not a true second (scoring) line as well as the third is not a true third (checking) line. These formations will have to play more defensively but can/should basically also contribute a little to the forwards' scoring output (especially through Setzinger in the second line and either Baumgartner or to a lesser extent Harand in the third who are not as good players as Setzinger but have a playmaking centerman with Kaspitz who is sometimes well able to nicely feed his linemates. Even the fourth line is not made up of guys who play 100% checking line hockey as only Peintner is a real grinder on this line. Ofner is as I said more a figure skater and Schellander usually not a centerman and for sure not a player with the physique and style of a checking line center. It will be crucial that these three adapt to what is expected from a fourth line.

Unterluggauer-Werenka
    A. Lakos-Rebek
    Lukas-Ph. Lakos

I expect Austria to play with 6 defensemen throughout. With the exception of Philippe Lakos neither of these 6 is a stay home style player, neither is a very hard hitter or hard to pass speedy skater. So in our end we'll have all sorts of troubles. But especially the first four all have a devcent scoring touch. Thus I expect the defensmen to be the major part in scoring beside the production of the first line we hope for.

IHF Staff

Team AUT preview

In the quest to break the cycle of being in the A pool in odd years and division I in even years that Austria is in since the 2005 home ice IHWC Swedish coach Lars Bergström definitely had to improvise. Many absences from first choice players out of EBEL and European clubs plagued the team selection and the likes of Dieter Kalt (Lulea), Mickey Elick (Villach), Ph. Lukas (Linz), Daniel Welser (Salzburg), Thomas Raffl (Villach) would happily be seen in Switzerland by every Austrian fan. The unavailability of three of four top NA based players (Thomas Pöck NY Islanders, Andreas Nödl Philadelphia Flyers/Phantoms, Michael Grabner Manitoba Moose) of course doesn't bring much joy either but has to be expected and accepted.
    For the first stages of the preparation Bergström (who is definitely not everyone's Mr. Niceguy) called together a squad loaded with debutants of questionable NT caliber and a good part of hockey Austria wondered why certain available and proven players are just not on the Swede's radar. But as the preparation progressed eventually these calamities lifted and with several roster cuts and late calls the team that will actually tackle the challenge of not being thrown into the downward bound elevator once again converged to a group of players that still bears some questionmarks for the observer but is grosso modo surely in the set of plausible choices.

The Austrian preperation campain began with two defeats of Lars' surprise team against Russia, continued with a shut out loss against the sharp looking Norwegians and ended with a clear and calming win against France. This game, the last cuts down to a pretty much standard roster given the constraints and the knowledge that in the tournament a guy called Thomas Vanek will lurk the crease of the opposing teams gives some confidence that at least rank 14 is attainable without having to pray for a miracle.

For the first part of the tournament Austria has registered only 21 players as with both Philly teams at the brink of elimination in the Play-offs one hopes for the services of Andreas Nödl whose strong defensive play could especially be needed. Of course showing why he's already more in the NHL than waiting to get there also in the offensive zone would be appreciated.
    In general one can expect AUT to have only one true scoring line (Vanek plus the skilled and cunning centerman Koch teamed up with power forward Trattnig) and lines #2 (Setzinger, Schuller, Raffl) and #3 (Baumgartner, Kaspitz, Harand) caught somewhere between defensive duties most likely forced on them by the opponents and the need to create something also in offense in order to relief Vanek and co. Block #4 (Peintner, Schellander, Kristler) features two debutants alongside the player with probably IHWC's most eccentric look and is hopefully not caugh off guard as it can be expected that they will get regular shifts.
    The defense corps will as usual have all sorts of troubles in the own end but features 2 pairings of players (Werenka, Unterluggaue; A. Lakos, Rebek) that have proven to be able to find the back of the net from the point regularily also on international level. Goaltending duties will most likely be split between Penker and Brückler and it should not surprise if Rögle's Jürgen Penker will get the more prominent opponents against which zero points are calculated anyway in order to conserve Bernd Brückler's energies for the 4 big games (the glimpse of hope game against Latvia and the do or die games in the relegation round shoul hope have been just to be glimpsed but not grabbed - which is more than likely).

TEAM AUT (IHWC debutants bold)

29 PENKER Jurgen GK L 1.85 / 6'1'' 90 / 198 17 OCT 1982 Rogle BK Angelholm
    30 BRUCKLER Bernd GK L 1.86 / 6'1'' 86 / 190 26 SEP 1981 Blues Espoo

4 UNTERLUGGAUER Gerhard D L 1.77 / 5'10'' 88 / 194 15 AUG 1976 HC Innsbruck Haie
    24 WERENKA Darcy D R 1.89 / 6'2'' 93 / 205 13 MAY 1973 EV Vienna Capitals
    32 LAKOS Andre D R 2.03 / 6'8'' 103 / 227 29 JUL 1979 Traktor Chelyabinsk
    27 REBEK Jeremy D R 1.79 / 5'10'' 88 / 194 8 FEB 1976 EC Red Bull Salzburg
    55 LUKAS Robert D L 1.77 / 5'10'' 84 / 185 29 AUG 1978 EHC Linz
    11 LAKOS Philippe D R 1.92 / 6'4'' 100 / 220 19 AUG 1980 HC Innsbruck Haie
    39 ORAZE Martin D L 1.91 / 6'3'' 82 / 181 9 OCT 1984 EC VSV Villach

26 VANEK Thomas F R 1.89 / 6'2'' 94 / 207 19 JAN 1984 Buffalo Sabres
    18 KOCH Thomas F L 1.73 / 5'8'' 77 / 170 17 AUG 1983 EC Red Bull Salzburg
    21 TRATTNIG Matthias F L 1.85 / 6'1'' 95 / 209 22 APR 1979 EC Red Bull Salzburg
    91 SETZINGER Oliver F L 1.83 / 6'0'' 89 / 196 11 JUL 1983 SCL Tigers Langnau
    45 SCHULLER David F L 1.82 / 6'0'' 91 / 201 6 SEP 1980 EC KAC Klagenfurt
    12 RAFFL Michael F L 1.85 / 6'1'' 87 / 192 1 DEC 1988 EC VSV Villach
    61 HARAND Christoph F L 1.80 / 5'11'' 80 / 176 27 MAY 1981 EC KAC Klagenfurt
    8 KASPITZ Roland F L 1.70 / 5'7'' 82 / 181 1 NOV 1981 EC VSV Villach
    79 BAUMGARTNER Gregor F L 1.85 / 6'1'' 90 / 198 13 JUL 1979 EHC Linz
    34 PEINTNER Markus F L 1.81 / 5'11'' 83 / 183 17 DEC 1980 EC VSV Villach
    15 SCHELLANDER Paul F R 1.86 / 6'1'' 75 / 165 5 NOV 1986 EC KAC Klagenfurt
    37 KRISTLER Andreas F L 1.70 / 5'7'' 75 / 165 30 AUG 1990 EC VSV Villach

IHF Staff
    Andreas Nödl was knocked out the AHL play-offs with his Philadelphia Phantoms and laola1.at reports that he is now cleard to come to Switzerland. Nödl started this season with the Flyers and was subsequently sent back and forth between Flyers and Phantoms. In his NHL appearences he was used as defensive winger and got quite some PK ice time. He would of course be a good reinforcement.
    For me it is at least doubtful whether he might already be clear or not as the Flyers are still in the play-offs although they are trailing 3-1. Nödl still might be called up. Flyer's next game is tonight so I think the issue should be cleared today.

IHF Staff
    ORF reports that Austria's line up for tonight will be:

Vanek - Koch - Trattnig
    Setzinger - Schuller - Harand
    Baumgartner - Kaspitz - Raffl
    Peintner - Schellander - Kristler

Werenka - Unterluggauer
    A. Lakos - Rebek
    Lukas - Ph. Lakos
    Oraze

IHF Prospect

Austria Nödl come to Switzerland

Nödl comes to Switzerland
    The austrian Philatelphia Phantoms und Flyers Forward is on the way to Bern.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by puckfan View Post
    Nödl comes to Switzerland
    The austrian Philatelphia Phantoms und Flyers Forward is on the way to Bern.
    Welcome Puckfan (and Andi Nödl)
    Robert Lukas on the other hand is out for the tournament. The defenseman suffered a shoulder injury in the first period vs. Sweden. He had played pretty ok up until then and was imho one of the better defensemen.

IHF Staff
    News from the Austrian camp

Bergström has put Andi Nödl into the second line with Schuller and Setzinger. Nödl as an NHL experienced youngster who mainly had to focus on defensive play this season with the Flyers should give this line more stability as well as greater punch towards the goal. I guess the line up in the first do (or die) game will be like this

Vanek-Koch-Trattnig
    Setzinger-Schuller-Nödl
    Harand-Kaspitz-Peintner
    Baumgartner-Schellander-Kristler

On defense there are some woes as Andre Lakos (who played miserably for a KHL defenseman) has problems with the Achilles tendon. If he should be sidelined Austria was down to only 5 defensemen. Bergström's choice for netwas Bernd Brückler. Hope he playes like a future KHL netminder (he will play for Nishny Nowgorod next season).

HAHAHahahahhaaaa

If they ever make a live action version of Afro Samurai, that's the guy they need to hire for Brother 3.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

IHF Staff
    The first part of the opera is sung and as feared resp. expected Austria will have to go to the dreaded relegation round. I have just seen the last period against Latvia the game was reasonably close scorewise but essentially not much has changed. The team is defensively shaky with the key players severely underperforming. Offensively we generate only little chances and have no clod blooded sniper who puts the puck in. One could see that they try but it just did not get going. Andreas Nödl certainly lifted the second line but not enough to get really dangerous.
    Thomas Vanek has to be credited that he's willng to play after a dissappointing season with a still not entirely healed broken jaw but it is obvious that he is completely out of shape. There were hardly any glimpses that this is the guy who has scored 40 NHL goals and led the world's best league in goals for a good part of the season. At his best he can explode an beat the opposing defense with a burst of speed scoring goals with his hard and accurate shot. At his best he can shake off any defenseman coming out from behind the goal for a dangerous wrap around - nothing to be seen.

A glimpse of hope was Bernd Brückler today. He had lots of strong saves and held Austria in the game a long time. Expect him to start also in the remaining games.

With Two out of three teams being relegated and the comparatively better performances of Denmark and Hungary in their groups staying up almost seems to be a distant utopia and for the case of relegation to division I some changes in the way the national team is set up have to be made. A close to fully manned Austrian offense corps like it could be iced last year is certainly above division I level but in the defense department the quality is lacking big time. Despite this fact the team management decided to go with more or less the same personnel as in the last years and leave players with good seasons in their clubs at home. I surely have no problem that a KHL defenseman like Andre Lakos who has good potential is selected and then plays brutally weak three first games. That's bad luck. But to nominate players who played bad seasons in the domestic league is not really plausible. The alternatives are surely not lightyears better but definitely worth a try I think.

This is basically what former NT player Peter Znehnalik who analyses the games for Austrian TV said after the match and he is damn right.

IHF Staff
    Austria has registered forward Harald Ofner (Innsbruck), defenseman Mario Altmann (Vienna) and netminder Bernhard Starkbaum (Villach) for the relegation round. Christoph Harand is out with a concussion after the hit he took against Latvia. Lars Bergström has once again changed the forward lines which will be:

Vanek-Koch-Setzinger
    Trattnig-Kaspitz-Nödl
    Peintner-Schuller-Ofner
    Baumgartner-Schellander-Schuller

This first line is a desperate offensive experiment without any really defensive oriented player. Vanek has to be credited for good backchecking efforts so far but this combination of our top offensive players in one line just means that Bergström is convinced that the scoring draught can only be overcome with the most extreme measure. Let's see if they can crack the mighty Magyars. Btw, the last AUT-HUN game was also in Switzerland - B pool back in 1985. Austria won 2:0. I'd like to see that repeated. If it won't happen which is not unlikely at all some people have seriously to think what's going wrong.

It was obvious that something had to be done with that lack of scoring, but i don´t really like the formation of our first line right now. Not only the lack of a defensive-minded winger that you already mentioned, but Trattnig is also a very physical guy who creates lots of space which should lead to chances for playmaker Koch and Vanek. Well it didnt work out so far, but i still think that this would be the best constellation. They showed some nice effort in the USA-game tho. Another thing that gives me concerns is, that Setzinger is a pretty much selfish type of player. We´ve already seen that he and Koch work well together, but i dont see him helping Vanek out of his scoring slump. But well, maybe it klicks, we will see.

What i do like on the other hand is the switch of Schuller and Kaspitz as 3rd resp 2nd line centers. Kaspitz is more offensive-minded in any ways, and with Ofner, Schuller, Peintner we really have a doghouse of a 3rd line now, they should really bring some energy and be able to play a shut-down game. I hope Schuller can consolidate his game a little with this more defensive role now, because to me he has been pretty much of a letdown so far...

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Haxo View Post
    It was obvious that something had to be done with that lack of scoring, but i don´t really like the formation of our first line right now. Not only the lack of a defensive-minded winger that you already mentioned, but Trattnig is also a very physical guy who creates lots of space which should lead to chances for playmaker Koch and Vanek. Well it didnt work out so far, but i still think that this would be the best constellation. They showed some nice effort in the USA-game tho. Another thing that gives me concerns is, that Setzinger is a pretty much selfish type of player. We´ve already seen that he and Koch work well together, but i dont see him helping Vanek out of his scoring slump. But well, maybe it klicks, we will see.

What i do like on the other hand is the switch of Schuller and Kaspitz as 3rd resp 2nd line centers. Kaspitz is more offensive-minded in any ways, and with Ofner, Schuller, Peintner we really have a doghouse of a 3rd line now, they should really bring some energy and be able to play a shut-down game. I hope Schuller can consolidate his game a little with this more defensive role now, because to me he has been pretty much of a letdown so far...
    I pretty much see it so as well. I think to move Setzi to the first line is a pretty much a desperate attempt. It's an all or nothing move by Bergström and I think its ok to try it. Vanek -Koch-Trattnig had their moments but still not really dangerous (shooting accuracy lacked, Dago had some good opportunities)...maybe adding Setzi helps. Nominally this line should be able to score a lot against teams like Hungary but in the current shape it's not clear. Hope Vanek lifts his game finally he's been so disappointing although one can see that he tries hard.
    Kaspitz might get something going as a playmaker in the 2nd (if he doesn't get back to circling around somewhere as a means for itself) and with Nödl and Trattnig defensive stability shouldn't be an issue.
    Third line we will see, Schuller was outright bad up to now, Peinti did well and although I am not a fan at all from Ofner (figure skater imho) he can't do worse than Harand who was just invisible. Baumgartner in the fourth improved from game to game I think (no surprise as Bergström called him out of the holidays I guess), Kristler and Schelle did fairly well anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if they get something going against a Hungarian fourth line which is nominally by no means impressive.

Defense will be a problem, maybe Altmann does less bad than some of the others but I don't have faith in that. Bobby Lukas played imho not so bad the 20 minutes he was on (at least he can skate with even well mobile forwards) and losing him didn't help. Without Pöck and Elick we're in trouble. That Bergström is unwilling to give a chance to some reasonably good EBEL defensmen is another story...

The image of Team AUT is at a long time low now (guys here even think we're underdogs to Hungary - maybe for good reasons I admit). Time for the team to fight for their reputation!

IHF Member
    i watched austria's games against usa and latvia and i think austria didn't play that bad at all... the group was immensely strong with sweden, usa and latvia, which are currently simply too strong opponents for austrians (the same happened with slovenia in canada last year, when we get canada, usa and latvia in the group stage, and then slovakia in the relegation round)

what i really missed on the austrian side is a bit of toughness, i really don't understand why austrians are playing so soft when they are in the national team, because i know all players from EBEL and they really know to play aggresive and hard... i was also pretty dissapointed with vanek... i thought vanek would be for austria what kopitar is for the slovenian national team (true leader, awesome playmaker who make those who play with him better), but he was far from that... probably vanek is just a different type of player than kopitar, more of a scorer who needs very good linesmates around himself

IHF Staff
    @Uros

Kopitar is indeed a different type of player. Probably one that is more valuable to a national team than Vanek. Vanek is a scorer he's never been the type of guy who gets the puck in the own zone builds up an attack sets up his teammates and so on. His part of the game is focused around the opoonents goal. There he is (when in shape) among the worlds best players. If he's in shape he can of course also score on rushes beat defensmen with nifty moves or even play a good PK and so on. But right now he's far from his best and one can see it easily. He loses the puck often without being really challenged, loses balance and has no explosiveness...

A player like Vanek plus one like Kopitar, that would be awesome for a lesser national team...
    Everything else you write is very much to the point I think

Well now....

a good game for Bergström i would say

You could go and point out several things that worked "well" today, but with hungary being really no challenge, its a little hard to judge the seen right. So lets go on with critics, thats way more fun anyway

I wish the second line would´ve been accountable for some more dangerous situations, they were pretty passive imho. I am still disappointed with Kaspitz, who, contrary to schuller, didnt show any improvement imo. Some guys on eishockeyforum keep saying Schuller is an offensive minded guy, i don´t think thats true, he got no offensive skills so he is a defensive player, point. hehe... Most effective as a winger probably, but was pushed into a role he isn´t comfortable with, as a second line center. Also he improved his bully play during this year. He did better today if you ask me.

I also don´t agree with your opinion on Ofner. I think he probably was the most "blessed" of KAC´s "untalented" generation of Ibounig, the Wilfans, Quantschnig etc... but i remind him as a quite fast guy, that doesnt shy away in the corners and always brings some effort to the line. I didnt see him alot since playing in Innsbruck though.

The defense looked better today, (wow, anything contrary possible ) but still some very shaky plays from the usual candidates.

Setzes goal was amazing, but without the puck hopping a little, that wouldnt be possible i guess, you cant roof a puck thats lying on the ice like that.

hmm anything else to say? Schellander should´ve scored a goal tonight.

IHF Staff
    The new first line certainly did a good job, no doubt. But Hungary was not a real test today as you say. If they play like this they will be blown out in the other two games as well.

Kaspitz is indeed disappointing. His break was badly finished with a weak shot he lost the puck from his stick sometimes without anyone near him. And if he can't outmove Hungarian players with his moves it won't work against Germans and Danes either. I so much whish we had a better centerman for this line (Philipp Lukas is missing a lot). Trattnig and especially Nödl were good if they had a stronger center they could do more damage.

Third line did ok - no surprise with this lame opponent and Ofner I guess did no worse than Harand would have done. But in general I disagree with you on him as well ;-). I work in Innsbruck and watch a lot of games there. When Ofner came to Innsbruck I was very pleased with him and I wrote on this very forum that I expect him on the NT sometime. But things changed soon. He is a good skater no doubt but at least in Ibk he showed very little hockey sense and was a "puck grave" in most plays. Basically he mostly skated very fast into the corners and got taken out there after he maneuvered himself into a dead end.

Defense still managed to make shocking mistakes regularily and I think this was by far the easiest game.

Germany outplayed Denmark today for big parts of the game (according to the highlights on DSF) so the Danes are not too mighty either. But they have a couple of very fine players (Regin's goal was brilliant and no Austrian defender could have stopped him). I see an advantage for us in goal Brückler picked up, Denamrk has the better defense imho and up front we'll see. First line will need to be sharp again.

He is a good skater no doubt but at least in Ibk he showed very little hockey sense and was a "puck grave" in most plays. Basically he mostly skated very fast into the corners and got taken out there after he maneuvered himself into a dead end.
    Yea you are absolutely right with all this, maybe i should think more of an ineffective player when you say figure skater, than an effortless guy just cruising around, cos i wouldnt consider him being the second.

I am pretty curious about the game vs. GER tomorrow, i havent seen them play even one minute, so i cant really value their strength. If they played really that weak - even more dangerous for us. Our team isn´t exactly known for good self confidence, especially in key situations, in addition to that we seem to be literally awestruck going against the "big brother". Thinking of the last game.... not beating them that day speaking values...

IHF Staff
    I guess the pace will be much higher than against Hungary and our defense will be much more under pressure through forechecking players. Then it's a question how thy can handle this and avoid give aways. Up to now this didn't work well at all and I think the Germans will get their share of chances just by applying pressure in our zone when we have the puck. Up front we need to do the same and I'm sure the Germans will allow good chances as well if they are pressured.
    Denmark was outshot by the Germans and they also had a lot of scoring chances so they will also get them against AUT. Brückler needs to be strong again I guess.
    For me it is also not so clear whether the team should give everything in this game. Denmark most likely has an easy one versus Hungary. If AUT gives everything tomorrow and wins the only gain is that we can stay up with any win vs. DEN. If we lose tomorrow we need a regulation time win on Monday but maybe it's better to save energy against GER and go well recovered into Monday's game looking for a win after 60'.
    Whatever may be, it's gonna be tough. Danes have good talent and they don't have to deal with that many unavailable players. I hope Brückler plays as against Latvia basically I think he'S the better goalie than the Danish one.

IHF Prospect
    For me it is also not so clear whether the team should give everything in this game. Denmark most likely has an easy one versus Hungary. If AUT gives everything tomorrow and wins the only gain is that we can stay up with any win vs. DEN. If we lose tomorrow we need a regulation time win on Monday but maybe it's better to save energy against GER and go well recovered into Monday's game looking for a win after 60'.
    Well, the problem could be if Austria got no points against Germany and we win against Denmark that Austria could be still out of race because of this stupid rules of the iihf. If we lose for example 5-2 against the Germans, Austria would need a win against Denmark with 3 or more goals. So tomorrow Austria have to give everything, regardless that the decided game will be against Denmark.

I hope that Hungary will play much better against Denmark and makes at least on point that this case can't happen.

IHF Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris83ian View Post
    Well, the problem could be if Austria got no points against Germany and we win against Denmark that Austria could be still out of race because of this stupid rules of the iihf. If we lose for example 5-2 against the Germans, Austria would need a win against Denmark with 3 or more goals. So tomorrow Austria have to give everything, regardless that the decided game will be against Denmark.

I hope that Hungary will play much better against Denmark and makes at least on point that this case can't happen.
    Ok, you're right, at least if we expect the Germans to win also against Hungary. The second tie breaker in a three team points tie is goal difference among those only and in a group of 4 a 3 team tie can't be resolved by points from the games among them. Then, if trying to win against Germany is too costly in terms of energy for the Denmark game AUT should try to lose by 1 goal ;-)....ok, that's maybe not so easy. With that respect I think the rules work well to avoid shirking.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information