• SWE vs AUT - Austria will win

1 1.45%
  • CZE vs DEN - The Czech Republic will win

68 98.55%
  • CZE vs DEN - Denmark will win

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Day 2 - Saturday April 25th - USA vs LAT, NOR vs FIN, SWE vs AUT, CZE vs DEN

2009 IHWC Day 2 - Saturday April 25th - USA vs LAT, NOR vs FIN, SWE vs AUT, CZE vs DEN

Vote for each of the 4 results above

25.04.2009, 16:15, United States - Latvia (Berne)
    25.04.2009, 16:15, Norway - Finland (Zürich-Kloten)
    25.04.2009, 20:15, Sweden - Austria (Berne)
    25.04.2009, 20:15, Czech Republic - Denmark (Zürich-Kloten)

Use this thread for the games of Day 2

Post your predictions, comments, reactions etc.....

Remember for our Prediction Game to put your predictions here:
    http://www.internationalhockey.net/f...ead.php?t=8161
    Last edited by Jazz; 22-04-2009 at 07:39.

I don't see any upsets happening here... Perhaps Latvia can catch USA off guard but... not likely.

Finland and USA should have much more problems taking Norway and Latvia than Sweden and Czech against Austria and Denmark.
    2011/2012. - 50th Anniversary of KHL Medveščak Zagreb !

USA - Latvia 5-3
    Norway - Finland 3-5
    Sweden - Austria 3-1
    Czech Republic - Denmark 8-2

IHF Prospect
    USA-Latvia 4-2
    Norway-Finland 2-3
    Sweden-Austria 5-1
    Czech Republic-Denmark 6-1

USA-Latvia 3-2
    Norway-Finland 3-6
    Czech-Denmark 5-2
    Sweden-Austria 6-1

IHF Staff
    Latvia might derail the US (voted so although US still favorites). Sweden will give us a very hard time just as the Czechs Denmark. Norway will annoy the Finns.

USA - Latvia 3:2
    Norway - Finland 1:4
    Sweden - Austria 5:2
    Czech Republic - Denmark 3:3

usa team will narrowly win their first game against well organized latvian defence thanks to late goal.
    Swedes and Finns will not have a problem in their openers.
    Dannes will caught Czech unprepared. Czechs will miss real leader with Jagr still sidelined.
    Ice Hockey is life and nothing else matters.

IHF Member
    USA - Latvia 2:3(OT)
    Norway - Finland 2:4
    Sweden - Austria 7:1
    Czech Republic - Denmark 5:2

Maybe a upset from Latvia. Sweden will destroy Austria.

USA - Latvia 1-3
    Norway - Finland 2-5
    Sweden - Austria 7-0
    Czech Republic - Denmark 6-0

I hope Latvia will win with USA, mayby it won't be the same score like Switzerland beat Americans, but I think it will be good score for Latvians. In the others games only Fin's may have little problems with Norway. Czech Republic and Sweden will win.

USA-LAT 3-2 OT

Hoping for the best, but USA has better skilled players and should win it at the end. Fact that young USA team might still need some time to adopt to larger ice might give Latvia a point in this one.

NOR-FIN 0-4

Comfortable win for Finland. Norway will not be able to produce many scoring chances.

SWE-AUT 3-1

Dont have much faith in Sweden this year. They can prove me wrong, but this should not ba a blowout.

CZE-DEN 5-3

I expect an entertaining game, with logical outcome.

Hopefully you guys are remembering to post those scores to the game prediction thread as well. It's too much work for Jazz to scan through the game day threads for the predictions...

The games on the first two days seem pretty clear-cut. I'd say that Latvia and Hungary hold the highest chances of upsets. Perhaps Belarus too depending on how the Canadians are geared up at the start of the tournament.
    "Lord Baelish, what you suggest is treason."
    "Only if we lose."

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Shardik View Post
    Hopefully you guys are remembering to post those scores to the game prediction thread as well. It's too much work for Jazz to scan through the game day threads for the predictions...

The games on the first two days seem pretty clear-cut. I'd say that Latvia and Hungary hold the highest chances of upsets. Perhaps Belarus too depending on how the Canadians are geared up at the start of the tournament.
    agree... maybe there are too many threads now? whatever thread I open there is hundreds of these predictions, maybe it should be only this 2009 IHWC game threads and the game prediction thread where you post yor predictions.

and yes, only teams I can see with chance to upset are latvia and belarus, maybe hungary

IHF Prospect
    I think people are underrating Team USA here, okay so they don't have as skilled team as what they had last year, and yes, Team USA has the history of losing games to underdogs, like in 2003 when Denmark won 5-2. But those days are over people, back in those days, Team USA usually had a brutal team, unmotivated guys who just went to Europe to taste the local beers. Well I might be exaggerating a bit but hopefully you're getting the point here. This years team looks great on the paper, they have a VERY solid D, some very promising and talented young kids in offense like Okposo and Foligno, and some legitimate goalscorers like Blake and Brown. I think this team is going to get a medal from this tournament, mark my words :)

But here are my predictions:

USA - Latvia 5 - 1
    Norway - Finland 2 - 4
    Sweden - Austria 4 - 1
    Czech Republic - Denmark 5 - 2

IHF Member
    I believe people are underestimating Team Norway. We have a very strong team. Especially our two first offensive lines are top european class. I think this team have what it takes to create an upset against Finland.

USA - Latvia 5-2
    Norway - Finland 4-3
    Sweden - Austria 7-2
    Czech Republic - Denmark 5-0

Quote Originally Posted by welmu View Post
    agree... maybe there are too many threads now? whatever thread I open there is hundreds of these predictions, maybe it should be only this 2009 IHWC game threads and the game prediction thread where you post yor predictions.

and yes, only teams I can see with chance to upset are latvia and belarus, maybe hungary
    hungary?????????????? You crazy FINNS
    Last edited by hossa 18; 24-04-2009 at 09:17.

IHF Member
    USA - Latvia 3-1
    Norway - Finland 1-3
    Sweden - Austria 6-1
    Czech Republic - Denmark 7-2

IHF Member
    USA- Latvia 6-2
    Sweden- Austria 6-1
    Norway- Finland 1-3
    Czech Republic- Denmark 4-2

Quote Originally Posted by joakim_64 View Post
    I believe people are underestimating Team Norway. We have a very strong team. Especially our two first offensive lines are top european class. I think this team have what it takes to create an upset against Finland.

USA - Latvia 5-2
    Norway - Finland 4-3
    Sweden - Austria 7-2
    Czech Republic - Denmark 5-0
    Yeah u got a couple of players from elitserien but it doesnt mean they will be succesful in the international level cause the game speed is on a totally different level. Winning isnt just about offence, also defence and more importantly goaltending. Also trapping which norway could rely on last year isnt going to help so much on big ice surface.

IHF Prospect
    USA - Latvia 7-2
    Norway - Finland 2-5
    Sweden - Austria 5-1
    Czech Republic - Denmark 6-2

Quote Originally Posted by hossa 18 View Post
    I don't expect them to win but to play good hockey and lose something like 2-4 goals only.

I think people are also overrating team norway... but i still planned to play against finns tomorrow, odds seems to be quite nice and it's first game of the tournament so maybe.

Quick question here: do you know the times and/or if there's anyplace to watch the games? Sorry about that, but I want to support my country and others
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

USA-Latvia 4-2
    Norway-Finland 1-4
    Sweden-Austria 5-1
    Czech Republic-Denmark 7-1

Quote Originally Posted by hossa 18 View Post

IHF Member

Norway

Quote Originally Posted by selanne View Post
    Yeah u got a couple of players from elitserien but it doesnt mean they will be succesful in the international level cause the game speed is on a totally different level. Winning isnt just about offence, also defence and more importantly goaltending. Also trapping which norway could rely on last year isnt going to help so much on big ice surface.

Actually 10 of our players played in the Elitserien this year, and 4 of our young guys have signed for next year. Skrøder won the point league and Aasen had most points per game. Thoresen was number 3 in the Swiss league.

Finland`s roster does not look as intimedating as recent years. And when it comes to tempo, you haven`t got moore than 4 NHL players on your roster, som most of your guys play on more or less on the same level as our guys. Of course you are huge favourites but still, i would not be suprised if we could steal some points tomorrow.

Either way good luck and i hope you do well in the tournament. Always fun to watch Soumi, hope you will beat Sweden in the next round.

USA VS. LAT is always an intresting game, the LAT have played the USA pretty tough in recent years. The biggest sucess was probally the draw at Torino 2006, I think the USA will take it, but it's not going to easy. One thing with LAT is the crazy fans and the that their's a ton of players from Dinamo Riga. When you have a situation like what they have, the team knows each other really well and will know what to do.

I'm also looking forward to the FIN VS. NOR game, it's always fun watching the nordic nations play against each other.
    To check out ice hockey from a Lone Star Prespective, check out my blog at www.texasicehockeyexpert.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by tanman9 View Post
    USA VS. LAT is always an intresting game, the LAT have played the USA pretty tough in recent years. The biggest sucess was probally the draw at Torino 2006, I think the USA will take it, but it's not going to easy. One thing with LAT is the crazy fans and the that their's a ton of players from Dinamo Riga. When you have a situation like what they have, the team knows each other really well and will know what to do.

I'm also looking forward to the FIN VS. NOR game, it's always fun watching the nordic nations play against each other.
    Well, their biggest success would have to be the 2-0 shutout a year or so before the Torino Olympics, but that was a good one none the less. Up until about two years ago, the life time series between these two was at .500 (The US has won the two or three games since then). The Latvians always play well against them though, and still feel they have to revenge a game that was unfairly taken from them, when an incompetent ref disallowed two clear goals and refused to go to video replay, resulting in a 3-1 loss (which would have been at least a tie, if not a Latvian win, since they would have been up 2-1 and would have carried the momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by v-man View Post
    an incompetent ref
    Vladimir Schindler

he's also at this WC - refereed yesterday's game between SVK and HUN

I think all the results will be pretty strightforward.

However Latvia will have an advantage in that some of their players will know each other's moves and patterns already and they can restrict the US to a tight score.

Finland have a strong team and the edge in NHL quality. Nonetheless the Vikings have some top quality players and talents emerging ie Martinsen and will provide a very tough contest indeed.

Sweden should likewise sail to a fairly easy win over Austria handicapped as they are by the absence of key players.

Similarly Denmark who should be stronger will fight hard but the Czechs should have the edge but by 2-3 goals.

Banned
    For me today only Usa-Latvia Under 6.5 ( odds are obout 1.65)

Quote Originally Posted by tanman9 View Post

Yeah, I think this one will be pretty tough....that being said I need to take care of some things to get back in time to watch..

IHF Member
    Sweden will make team Austria look like a swiss cheese but both Norway and Latvia have a chans to make a upset tonight. Finland and USA will not have anything to do whit the gold in this years championship.

USA vs Latvia 2 - 2 (2 - 3 after pens)
    Norway vs Finland 2 - 5
    Czech vs Denmark 7 - 1
    Sweden vs Austria 3 - 7

Norway will fight with a tie midway tru the game then Finland take over the game
    Czech shouldnt have any troubles with.
    Denmark unless Galbraith is in the goal for them and make huge saves even though Denmark wont score so many goals and they will lose anyway,
    Sweden with Holmqvist in the goal tonight will make a joke out of himself and Austria is gonna pound Sweden hard.

Only upset i can think of tonight is Latvia but then their goalie have to play like Arturs Irbe in his best days=)
    Good luck tonight!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Sweden will make team Austria look like a swiss cheese but both Norway and Latvia have a chans to make a upset tonight. Finland and USA will not have anything to do whit the gold in this years championship.
    medals are not so far away like you think for these two teams. But agree that Latvia have its chances tonight and norway could surprise... actually I played against both teams (norway with 3 goals advantage and latvia with 2 goals advantage) Latvia need to have good goaltending and same would be said about norway, but norway has some decent forwards also, should be a good game. Only 50min and it will start

IHF Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leksandstars View Post
    Sweden vs Austria 3 - 7

Sweden with Holmqvist in the goal tonight will make a joke out of himself and Austria is gonna pound Sweden hard.
    Tre Kronor are not Leksand, Leksand are a loser team Tre kronor are not. Austria are lucky if they score. Tre Kronor are aiming for gold Austira for Div I.

Quote Originally Posted by leksandstars View Post
    USA vs Latvia 2 - 2 (2 - 3 after pens)
    Sweden vs Austria 3 - 7

Only upset i can think of tonight is Latvia but then their goalie have to play like Arturs Irbe in his best days=)
    Good luck tonight!
    so, Austria win is not a big surprise afterall
    I hope you're right ;)

Tre Kronor are not Leksand, Leksand are a loser team Tre kronor are not. Austria are lucky if they score. Tre Kronor are aiming for gold Austira for Div I.
    I wish i could be as positive as you eric

IHF Member
    medals are not so far away like you think for these two teams. But agree that Latvia have its chances tonight and norway could surprise... actually I played against both teams (norway with 3 goals advantage and latvia with 2 goals advantage) Latvia need to have good goaltending and same would be said about norway, but norway has some decent forwards also, should be a good game. Only 50min and it will start
    I think its high time for trashing Finland. Finland have only one gold so its a one time wonder and not a real countender. Sweden rules. The dream are Sweden vs Finland in the playoffs. It feels like the World Championship starts first on the 2 of may. The first 3 games are just warm up. I think the population on this board shows to much respect to the minor nations. To watch the minor nations are the same as watch the special Olympics. Its fun but its not the real thing.

Line-ups - Game 5 & 6:
    - USA - LAT
    - NOR - FIN

I think its high time for trashing Finland. Finland have only one gold so its a one time wonder and not a real countender. Sweden rules. The dream are Sweden vs Finland in the playoffs. It feels like the World Championship starts first on the 2 of may. The first 3 games are just warm up. I think the population on this board shows to much respect to the minor nations. To watch the minor nations are the same as watch the special Olympics. Its fun but its not the real thing.
    one gold but many times in finals and so many bronze medals that i can't count... so silver or bronze medalists are not real contenders?

I think the population on this board shows to much respect to the minor nations. To watch the minor nations are the same as watch the special Olympics. Its fun but its not the real thing.
    and this...

one gold but many times in finals and so many bronze medals that i can't count... so silver or bronze medalists are not real contenders?
    1 gold, 6 silver, 3 bronze. add 2 Olympic silver and 2 bronze.

All this since the mid-80s only.

Real enough, in terms of contention, I'd say.

Because lot of people on this board are from minor nations.

And about minor nations and special Olympics

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFQnI...om=PL&index=16

Den glider in

What are you, 13 and started to watch hockey 2 years ago

<--- That's the boards reaction everytime you post something. It's called embarassment.

In regard to all the predictions, yes, we can speculate, but nothing is certain until they play the game. Good luck to all of the teams involved, and hopefully a few upsets will hapen.
    Twitter: @CSmeeth

Told u Latvia would win now they lead 1 - 0 !!!! GOOOOO LATVIJA!

great powerplay goal by latvia, keep it rolling guys. 1:0

IHF Member

not needed, and completely wrong comment. go to sleep

Although I predict USA wins, i am cheering for Latvia. Go Latvia !!!

exciting 1st period in Berne.
    Latvians are moving puck well and are always dangerous up to front.
    i love to watch Latvians games on IHWC there is always great atmosphere on the match, thanks to one of the best ice hockey fans (latvians).
    sometimes matches played at IHWC have terrible atmosphere, i call it ''funera match''. especially when northern americans team play in europe against no real hockey nations.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information